2017-18 Buckeye Basketball

Wesson doesn't get in foul trouble when they play the Big front lines in the upper level teams in B1G anything can happen with this new staff.Cam is stepping up,need some bench players to play a lot better.

Ohio State 92
Iowa 81

Buckeyes move to 12-4 and 3-0 in the B1G. Big game at home against #1 Sparty on Sunday at 4:30 PM.

Box Score - 35/66 FG (53.0%) - 7/20 3PT (35.0%) - 15/23 FT (65.2%)

Bates-Diop - 27 PTS - 10/17 FG - 2/6 3PT - 5/6 FT - 13 REB - 2 BLK - 1 AST - 1 STL (Double-Double)

Tate - 18 PTS - 6/12 FG - 1/2 3PT - 5/7 FT - 7 REB - 1 BLK - 1 STL

Williams - 13 PTS - 5/8 FG - 3/6 3PT - 0/1 FT - 3 REB - 1 BLK - 1 STL

Jackson - 12 PTS - 5/10 FG - 1/3 3PT - 1/2 FT - 4 AST - 2 REB - 1 STL

K. Wesson - 10 PTS - 4/6 FG - 2/2 FT - 3 REB - 1 AST

Potter - 6 PTS - 3/7 FG - 0/1 3PT - 5 REB

Dakich - 2 PTS - 1/2 FG - 0/1 FT - 6 AST - 2 REB - 1 STL

Jallow - 2 PTS - 1/2 FG - 0/1 3PT - 3 AST - 1 STL

A. Wesson - 1 PT - 0/1 3PT - 1/2 FT - 1 AST - 1 BLK

Young - 1 PT - 0/1 FG - 1/2 FT - 2 REB

He sure is one complete basketball player,a joy to watch after Mr Lazy last year.

Right this minute Ohio State is staying with the team from up north. 27 to 27 with 2:47 to go first half

I said it before, I'll say it again...OSU is going to the tourney this year. Holtman doing a fantastic job.

I won’t pretend to be an expert on basketball, but this team seems to play with a different energy this year that’s been lacking for about the past 3 seasons. Also Bates-Diop looks like a completely different player.

Ohio State 80
Michigan State 64

The Buckeyes upend the #1 team in nation for a signature win. OSU moves to 13-4 and 4-0 in the B1G. Host Maryland (13-4) (2-2) on Thursday at 7:00 PM (ESPN2).

Box Score - 31/59 FG (52.5%) - 7/15 3PT (46.7%) - 11/17 FT (64.7%)

Bates-Diop - 32 PTS - 12/21 FG - 2/4 3PT - 6/7 FT - 7 REB - 3 STL - 1 BLK

Jackson - 14 PTS - 6/11 FG - 2/3 3PT - 6 REB - 3 AST

Tate - 13 PTS - 4/7 FG - 0/2 3PT - 5/9 FT - 3 REB - 3 AST - 2 STL - 1 BLK

Williams - 10 PTS - 4/6 FG - 2/2 3PT - 4 REB

K. Wesson - 8 PTS - 4/9 FG - 0/1 FT - 5 AST - 4 REB - 1 BLK

Dakich - 3 PTS - 1/1 3PT - 3 AST - 1 REB

A. Wesson - 0/2 3PT - 3 REB - 1 AST

Jallow - 2 REB

Potter - 1 BLK

Young - 0/2 FG - 0/1 3PT - 1 STL

Holtmann has to be the front runner for national COY now. The progress they've made to this point has to have exceeded any and all realistic expectations.

Kaleb Wesson is going to be a very good college player. KBD is probably gone after this season but if he were to return OSU will be very good next year.

Holtmann has to be the front runner for national COY now. The progress they've made to this point has to have exceeded any and all realistic expectations.

it will be amzing if he gets the BIG TEN coach of the year....

last year , they should have put Loving on the end of the bench......it is great to see a group of players that HUSTLE.......

Most of the Thad years were great, but we all know the post-Craft years have been rough for the most part as weaker coaching staffs and Thad’s declining health just sapped the energy out of the program. It blows that it went downhill so fast for Thaddeus, but the renewal of this program under Holtmann has been a joy to watch. He is able to recruit with energy, his staff looks as though they can develop players and get the most out of their skills, the effort on the court is there. Holtmann embraces and looks to schedule tough non-league games. There is a positive energy to the program again. Holtmann is waaaay ahead of schedule, but he is not shying away from the new heightened expectations. This game against Maryland will say a lot about whether the MSU win was lucky, or if the Buckeyes can stay in the Big Ten hunt all season.

They could be something special if Bates-Diop comes back next year, but he’s already playing himself into a national POY candidate this year. If this is his last season at OSU, I hope he gets a chance to go off on the big stage of the NCAA tournament.

The bench must improve,some of them just don't have it but he's doing well with their minutes.

So not much of a NCAA basketball fan but the ESPN Headline on the report of the game caught my eye: Michigan State's loss highlights that the Big Ten is a mess -- and boring http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...s-highlights-the-big-ten-is-a-mess-and-boring

You would think that the headline would be that new coach gets a signature win for a historically sold program but no, it turns into a column on how the B1G basically stinks this year. That's fine if this was only a general column about the B1G but it was under the score of the game, I'm not an ESPN conspiracy theory person but the evidence does seem to point in that direction when you see stuff like this.

ESPN is in the back pocket of the SEC and then they show love to all the rest of the college conferences except the Big Ten. All I can conclude from this is they think the Big Ten is the only real challenge to their beloved SEC.

ESPN is in the back pocket of the SEC and then they show love to all the rest of the college conferences except the Big Ten. All I can conclude from this is they think the Big Ten is the only real challenge to their beloved SEC.

It's all about resenting the Big Ten Network. ESPN was supposed to operate it, and the B1G reneged on the agreement and now they run it on their own. Keeping the fee ESPN would have charged.

I wonder if jr ESPN air personalities can speed their advance by coming up with new and creative ways to bag on all things B1G ?

Last edited:
You have to give Gene Smith a lot of credit. He has consistently made great coaching hires across a variety of different sports during his OSU tenure. Holtmann looks like he might be one of the elites in all of CBB. Once he has real top level talent, the sky is the limit for the program.

So not much of a NCAA basketball fan but the ESPN Headline on the report of the game caught my eye: Michigan State's loss highlights that the Big Ten is a mess -- and boring http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...s-highlights-the-big-ten-is-a-mess-and-boring

You would think that the headline would be that new coach gets a signature win for a historically sold program but no, it turns into a column on how the B1G basically stinks this year. That's fine if this was only a general column about the B1G but it was under the score of the game, I'm not an ESPN conspiracy theory person but the evidence does seem to point in that direction when you see stuff like this.

I caught this headline too and refused to click on the article because that's pathetic journalism.

This little nugget was also added below the headline:
The Buckeyes' upset of the Spartans means the Big Ten as a whole is giving its fans little to care about this season

Like ... what? Complete joke :laugh:

When the SEC cannibalizes itself in football it's a sign of how great the league is. When the ACC does it in basketball it's a sign of how great the league is.

When it happens in the Big Ten it's proof the league sucks.

But what did MSU do to North Carolina this year? They made them quit basically. I agree I was shocked at the headline mentioned above. I will say this is not a banner year for Big 10 hoops but this win showed their is some depth in league. Purdue is a really nice team who smoked Arizona. Minn has been hurt with suspensions and injuries. Michigan beat UCLA and is a tourney team. OSU has played it's way into a possible tourney team. Maryland has lost two starters for year with injury but they have a shot. NW has not followed up on last year success but not dead yet.