Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

Just looked at the box score- looks like Greeneview QB outrushed NE QB. NE also only scored one touchdown. Looks like they did turn it over a few times. It was a 10 vs 7 game- one score is probably about right
not saying it wasn’t and that about the result i expected. but that’s 2 straight years GV has lost in round one because they couldn’t stop an opposing QB on the ground.

R

Running QB did not beat GV...the lack of offense beat GV.
just based off stats, that sounds about right however Northeastern had 273 total yards of offense, with 118 being the QB running the ball. he averaged 5.6 yards on 21 attempts and had the winning score. seems like NE found what worked and they let running it, or else they watched the Preble Shawnee film from last season.

GV qb threw 3 interceptions ...they were getting 5yds per carry on the ground and went away from the run and the wheels fell off...way to many penalties...the defense was on the field way to much

GV qb threw 3 interceptions ...they were getting 5yds per carry on the ground and went away from the run and the wheels fell off...way to many penalties...the defense was on the field way to much
it’s hard to win any game when you throw 3 interceptions. the best teams come playoff time don’t turn the ball over!

this is the 2nd straight year that Greeneview lost a playoff game due to the opposing QB running all over them
Well this is the way I see it...... I remember going to a Greeneview game in Jamestown a few years ago against West Jeff. I believe they had a RB named Jones. Now, that young man, he "ran all over them". I was at the NE game this year and I wouldn't consider the NE QB running all over the Rams. Although he does look to have a good future ahead of him! Many of his rush yards came on busted plays when the Greeneview defense had good pass coverage. It looked to me that the QB scrambled and was able to break contain a few times and got most of his rushing yards on those pass plays. But I would not say he "ran all over them". Your comment had me intrigued. So I had to look up some stats courtesy of the OHC website.

If I looked at everything correct, it would appear that Greeneview held NE to their fewest yards of total offense of any other team they played this year.

NE Total Offense vs. Greeneview = 273 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Catholic Central = 280 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. West Liberty = 283 yards
NE Total Offense vs. Riverside = 287 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Bethel = 290 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Fairbanks = 296 Yards
NE Total offense vs. West Jeff = 299 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Cedarville = 307 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Mechanicsburg = 308 Yards
NE Total offense vs. Greenon = 458 Yards
NE Total Offense vs. Triad = 483 Yards

Shame on Greeneview's defense for not playing better.......... Geesh......

Well this is the way I see it...... I remember going to a Greeneview game in Jamestown a few years ago against West Jeff. I believe they had a RB named Jones. Now, that young man, he "ran all over them". I was at the NE game this year and I wouldn't consider the NE QB running all over the Rams. Although he does look to have a good future ahead of him! Many of his rush yards came on busted plays when the Greeneview defense had good pass coverage. It looked to me that the QB scrambled and was able to break contain a few times and got most of his rushing yards on those pass plays. But I would not say he "ran all over them". Your comment had me intrigued. So I had to look up some stats courtesy of the OHC website.

If I looked at everything correct, it would appear that Greeneview held NE to their fewest yards of total offense of any other team they played this year.

i never said they played bad.. overall good performance from the D. when you hold a team to 14 in the playoffs you should win every time. i was just pointing out a trend that in back to back years, they have had a QB rush all over them in the playoffs.

you were at the game and i’ll believe that it was a lot of busted plays as you said. however that means someone isn’t keeping contain on the edge.

GV qb threw 3 interceptions ...they were getting 5yds per carry on the ground and went away from the run and the wheels fell off...way to many penalties...the defense was on the field way to muc

From what I saw watching the game, both teams played solid. Yes, GV threw some picks. Threw 1 while getting sacked. Threw another at the end of the game into double coverage on a hail mary. Jets qb did get several good scrambles. Looked like receivers weren't open, took it and ran. Didn't force anything. Seemed like he also had some nice qb run plays, but could be wrong. GV had a good qb draw play. Seemed like NE blitzed on one of those and got caught, which resulted in a good yardage run for GV. To me, seemed like NE tried to eat the clock once they got the lead. Either way, it was a great game to watch. Two good teams. Both teams seemed to be well coached. Hopefully the OHC has a good showing Friday night.

I can’t believe it’s week 2 of the playoffs!!! Am headed to one of the following games this Friday but not sure which one. I love the small school games. The D1 & D2 and Steubenville games are on here only because I haven’t been to their stadiums. Thoughts?
Garaway vs East Knox
Fort Frye vs Newcomerstown
WLS vs Tri Village
Marion Local vs Cedarville
Canton Mckinly vs St Ignatius
Massillon vs Westerville South
Steubenville vs Licking Valley
Archbold vs Coldwater
Portsmouth vs Wheelersburg

I can’t believe it’s week 2 of the playoffs!!! Am headed to one of the following games this Friday but not sure which one. I love the small school games. The D1 & D2 and Steubenville games are on here only because I haven’t been to their stadiums. Thoughts?
Garaway vs East Knox
WLS vs Tri Village
Archbold vs Coldwater
I'd pick Tri Village at WLS. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

saw a story on WHIO today about Greeneview fans hanging on on a Northeastern sideline crew member (chain gang?)

regardless, that is classless and not a good look for Greeneview. i’ve seen coaches and players give a crowd the “double bird”- not a reason for a physical altercation ever.

saw a story on WHIO today about Greeneview fans hanging on on a Northeastern sideline crew member (chain gang?)

regardless, that is classless and not a good look for Greeneview. i’ve seen coaches and players give a crowd the “double bird”- not a reason for a physical altercation ever.

I’m not sure what transpired during the Greeneview-Northeastern game regarding the sideline or chain gang but it does bring back memories of great stories with the West Jefferson sideline/chain gang from the 1980’s. I believe Brutus SG could give far better insight and recall of a story or two. To say it mildly, they were characters.

Garaway vs East Knox
WLS vs Tri Village
Archbold vs Coldwater

Steubenville-Licking Vally could stay close, two very successful coaches.

WLS-Tri Village might be close, Tri-Village hasn’t beaten anyone so they don’t even know if they are good or not.

Canton McKinley-St Ignatius, 20 years ago this would have been for a trip to the State Final. Now, both programs are struggling.

Rest of the games look like big blowouts. Maybe Bellefountaine-London or Bloom Carrol-Jackson could be good games. I’m sure the Neisonville-York -West Jeff fame would bring back some memories but as you know neither team is remotely as good as they were in 1982. Hopefully you pick a game as good as the 82 NY-WJ game but we both know that will be very tough to do.

The drama and aggression at some of these games never ceases to amaze me. And I've seen it at pee wee football all the way down to tee ball (no joke).

I honestly can't even sit in the stands at high school games.

The video leaves out the part where the Northeastern guy came over to the Greeneview side and was looking for a fight. I am not excusing adults acting like idiots on both sides, but don't go into an opposing team side and start talking crap and swinging on people.
No doubt in my mind there is a whole other side to the story that didn't get published. In my experience (and I'm just calling it as I see it), Northeastern fans are a lot more "aggressive" than Greeneview fans.

No doubt in my mind there is a whole other side to the story that didn't get published. In my experience (and I'm just calling it as I see it), Northeast
That's pretty accurate. The last two times we have played Northeastern, their fans have gone after the refs. And suddenly the refs starting calling penalties on Jamestown.

I’m not sure what transpired during the Greeneview-Northeastern game regarding the sideline or chain gang but it does bring back memories of great stories with the West Jefferson sideline/chain gang from the 1980’s. I believe Brutus SG could give far better insight and recall of a story or two. To say it mildly, they were characters.
One story that comes to mind is Dublin came to visit WJ and it was when Bill Conley was their coach. He said why can’t our big guys hit like their little guys?!?!! Ray Boucher didn’t skip a beat and said welcome to the CBL. 😂

Another one was when Academy came to visit and after years of being called hicks, Rick Campbell thought it would be funny if the entire chain gang wore overall bibs. 😂 they did. They weren’t mean spirited. The refs that came to the game always looked forward to it because of how good the chain gang was. Another story was when a ref looked at Mike Hockenberry and said you can’t chew tobacco on the sidelines. He then showed Huck a little secret by chewing gum then wrapping it around the chew. 😂 He said there, now you are legal. 😂 Miss Bouch, Rick, and Huck. Ron Garver and his sister Sharon are the only ones left out of that bunch.

I had a picture from the Madison press of the four but can’t seem to find it.

wlsw12.jpg

Week 2 of HS playoff football.............Sidenote - I personally don't like the round of 16, rather a 10 or 12 pool of teams w/ byes.
BURG is a beneficiary of extended at #10 with all others being in top 8.

7 Northeastern (8-3) @ 2 Waynesville (9-2) = NE solid team, but Waynesville @ home and I think better wins on their schedule
7 Nelsonville-York (8-3) @ 2 West Jefferson (10-1) = Gotta go with my Riders @ home, but I think this will be another dog fight as a hard nose NY team visits WJ for 1st time and only 1 other game between these 2 back in '82
5 Tri Village (10-1) @ 4 West Liberty-Salem (10-1) = I have WLS as the best team in OHC even with loss to WJ and WJ actually 2nd or 3rd best. The WJ loss actually may have been the best thing they needed. WLS at home and with their running game (can also pass) and physical defense will be the difference.
8 Cedarville (8-3) @ 1 Marion Local (11-0) = Unfortunately this will be more of the same when MAC v. OHC takes place. Marion Local is just on another level even if the MAC is down a bit according to some posters.................The Flyers are not down!!!
10 Mechanicsburg (7-4) @ 2 Ansonia (11-0) = This Tiger team has only 4 of their wins against winning teams (not too unusual), but 3 of 4 moved on to 2nd round. BURG has been up and down as most young teams are, but will put up a gritty fight. Ansonia at home a bit too much to overcome for BURG.

If these hold true, not a good look for OHC still. Overall this year, I believe the OHC was a pretty competitive league this year. To go to next level we need more wins in OOC games and more playoff wins other than WLS, WJ and BURG. Still a solid, good conference.

Good luck to all tonight!!!!

Week 2 of HS playoff football.............Sidenote - I personally don't like the round of 16, rather a 10 or 12 pool of teams w/ byes.
BURG is a beneficiary of extended at #10 with all others being in top 8.

7 Northeastern (8-3) @ 2 Waynesville (9-2) = NE solid team, but Waynesville @ home and I think better wins on their schedule
7 Nelsonville-York (8-3) @ 2 West Jefferson (10-1) = Gotta go with my Riders @ home, but I think this will be another dog fight as a hard nose NY team visits WJ for 1st time and only 1 other game between these 2 back in '82
5 Tri Village (10-1) @ 4 West Liberty-Salem (10-1) = I have WLS as the best team in OHC even with loss to WJ and WJ actually 2nd or 3rd best. The WJ loss actually may have been the best thing they needed. WLS at home and with their running game (can also pass) and physical defense will be the difference.
8 Cedarville (8-3) @ 1 Marion Local (11-0) = Unfortunately this will be more of the same when MAC v. OHC takes place. Marion Local is just on another level even if the MAC is down a bit according to some posters.................The Flyers are not down!!!
10 Mechanicsburg (7-4) @ 2 Ansonia (11-0) = This Tiger team has only 4 of their wins against winning teams (not too unusual), but 3 of 4 moved on to 2nd round. BURG has been up and down as most young teams are, but will put up a gritty fight. Ansonia at home a bit too much to overcome for BURG.

If these hold true, not a good look for OHC still. Overall this year, I believe the OHC was a pretty competitive league this year. To go to next level we need more wins in OOC games and more playoff wins other than WLS, WJ and BURG. Still a solid, good conference.

Good luck to all tonight!!!!
Man, I’m nervous for tonight. Don’t know if it’s because I have a son who could be playing his last game as a high schooler, or the slow start last week, or the fact that on paper Tri-Village looks like a very good team…

I do like that you brought up the Tiger defense. After that WJ game, people have overlooked WLS’ defense. And it’s actually really good. They played hard and physical in that game, the game plan just wasn’t the best, and don’t get me wrong, wasn’t executed well (if they executed, it would have been brilliant). The defense will definitely be the x-factor moving forward, and if they play like they’re capable and have in almost every game…WLS should be fine.

Good luck tonight all! Hope we still have a lot to talk about next week.