Running Clock in basketball

When I started to follow a new league one thing I hate is Tuesday games. Hate em. Bad for kids and school andthe working stiff that next day.

My Alma mater league usually plays Fri and Saturday nights with weeknight only during Christmas break.
GMC awhile back went through a 4 year stretch where they let the Boys' and Girls' have an equal number of Friday night home games (i.e. Boys would play Tues-Fri and Girls Wed-Sat and then they would alternate the next week). I think some schools only ended up playing 2-3 Friday night home games for their Boys teams, which really hurt ticket revenue.

Grandpa used to tell me stories of how back in his day if an athlete would brake an arm they would just gnaw it off above the break, and get back in there playing one handed. We dont think that way today. It's all about keeping the kids "safe". Which has everything to do with the running clock.

I have seen some unusual boys scores this year like a 67 -12 where the score was 43 -6 at the half. The disparity between schools is increasing in many cases.
Have picture of my father playing against Boys Town. He played center with cast on both arms.

When I started to follow a new league one thing I hate is Tuesday games. Hate em. Bad for kids and school andthe working stiff that next day.

My Alma mater league usually plays Fri and Saturday nights with weeknight only during Christmas break.
So all Girls and Boys games were on the weekends (excluding Christmas break)?

Boys.
Fri/Sat night. For years. Including this one but a few rescheduled do to football will have to be played on a weeknight I suppose.
I am aware of a few parents threatening legal action against the CBC 20ish years ago because the girls games were always during the week and boys were always Friday/Saturday. This lead to the current format within the CBC.

Why are we always trying to get these things over so fast nowadays?

Towns are starting their kids summer leagues so early in the spring to get them done by the 4th of july.
Running clocks in hoops.
Running clocks in football.
Travel baseball fleecing tournaments starting at 8am to get over early.

Why are we is so much of a damned hurry?

What are thoughts on making JV running clocks at 25 pts in the fourth quarter?
JV basketball and below = developmental. Meaning they need every minute of playing time. 6 minute quarters are so quick anyway. No one cares about the scores of JV games. Let the kids play.

Sadly it's not so much to hurry, but the "feelings" of the losing team. We are so conditioned to make kids lives easy and protect them from any pain or embarrassment. A good old 40-50 point butt kicking may make kids work on their skills a little more.
Why are we always trying to get these things over so fast nowadays?

Towns are starting their kids summer leagues so early in the spring to get them done by the 4th of july.
Running clocks in hoops.
Running clocks in football.
Travel baseball fleecing tournaments starting at 8am to get over early.

Why are we is so much of a damned hurry?

Sadly it's not so much to hurry, but the "feelings" of the losing team. We are so conditioned to make kids lives easy and protect them from any pain or embarrassment. A good old 40-50 point butt kicking may make kids work on their skills a little more.
I actually think it’s the opposite. It’s the “winning is all that matters” mentality that has us here. We’re up 40? Why play the rest of the game, run the clock. Winning is all that matters, not playing time or development.

Saw a running clock for the first time the other day. For one, I think it was stupid as can be. All it did is take time away from some backups who dont see the floow often.

One thing I thought was HILARIOUS. First off, one team was horrid and poor effort, and the other was hitting everything but didnt press to run it up.

Team A was down 50+. Puts their backup varsity in with a couple of minutes left in the third. Team B, who was winning, pretty much do not have varsity backups (like 1 really) other than their JV Players. Team B puts their JV players in to start the 4th. Team A, down 60, starts to full court press when Team B puts in their JV!

Just thought it was....funny.

I am aware of a few parents threatening legal action against the CBC 20ish years ago because the girls games were always during the week and boys were always Friday/Saturday. This lead to the current format within the CBC.
So how does the CBC schedule girls games? Our conference is boys Tues, fri, sat evenings. Girls Monday, Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons.

We tried a few girls games on Friday nights sandwiched between JV boys and Varsity boys, no one cared for that as actually fewer people showed up until right before the varsity game. JV boys attendance took a hit as did concession sales and gate reciepts. Seperate stand alone games brought in a couple hundred extra dollars per night, and economics mandated the return to the current schedule.

Saw a running clock for the first time the other day. For one, I think it was stupid as can be. All it did is take time away from some backups who dont see the floow often.

One thing I thought was HILARIOUS. First off, one team was horrid and poor effort, and the other was hitting everything but didnt press to run it up.

Team A was down 50+. Puts their backup varsity in with a couple of minutes left in the third. Team B, who was winning, pretty much do not have varsity backups (like 1 really) other than their JV Players. Team B puts their JV players in to start the 4th. Team A, down 60, starts to full court press when Team B puts in their JV!

Just thought it was....funny.
Largely agree. I hate the running clock rule as it screws over the kids who rarely see playing time and the JV players that dress varsity. It's a loss of both experience and potential development/learning for the sake of getting the game over with.

And good lord, that is embarrassing. Team A might be the worst D2-D3 team I've ever seen in this area...I'm honestly somewhat surprised Team B didn't drop 100 in three quarters with their 6 man rotation with the pace they try to play.

So how does the CBC schedule girls games? Our conference is boys Tues, fri, sat evenings. Girls Monday, Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons.

We tried a few girls games on Friday nights sandwiched between JV boys and Varsity boys, no one cared for that as actually fewer people showed up until right before the varsity game. JV boys attendance took a hit as did concession sales and gate reciepts. Seperate stand alone games brought in a couple hundred extra dollars per night, and economics mandated the return to the current schedule.
This may have changed slightly because I haven't paid the most attention recently. But in a normal 4 game week (2 boys and 2 girls) one would play Tuesday Friday and the other would play Wednesday Saturday. The following week they would switch. Non-conference games did not always follow this format.

I've seen girls' and boys' Friday night varsity doubleheaders done a few times. It always draws a real big crowd and is, frankly, the largest crowd a girls' game is going to get. It just makes logistics a little tough. Usually, boys' JV game at 5:00, girls' varsity at 6:30, boys' varsity at 8:00, but sometimes, girls' JV at 4:00, boys' JV at 5:30, girls' varsity at 7:00, boys' varsity at 8:30 (this only works if the away team isn't from far away because otherwise an 8:30 tip is too late). Remaining JV, freshmen, sophomore, etc. games are then played on Saturday.

A running clock should not be necessary for basketball.
Agree - the games are already fast enough. It takes away developmental and game minutes from younger players.

If coaches would have some sense to stop doing stupid things up 40, then this would have never happened. Most coaches will call off the dogs and let some other kids get some minutes.

It is not about you, it is about the kids. The kids want to play. Don't watch JV if it bores you but don't take playing time away from the kids. The running clock in basketball is utterly stupid.

No kid has ever been upset to the point where he cannot go on when losing a game by 40+ points...... but not being able to finish a game because of a mercy rule for the adults in the stands can take a toll.

The Running Clock is Great! If a Coach winning or Losing by 40 can’t figure out how to call Timeout if he feels he must for his subs to enter the Game he shouldn’t be Coaching a HS Basketball Team.

This is stupid. It's only a 32 minute game to begin with and your cheating kids out of getting playing time.
Many basketball teams stink. Go practice in the off season. If you’re down 30, it’s over. Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa want Johnny and Suzy to be good. Go rebound for them when they should shoot 300-400 shots many day. Go to the gym. Show up at all the open gyms, shootouts, camps . Get the heck off your phones and be a good player. Sick of the excuses. Go to work or get embarrassed by a running clock. Rant Over !

Many basketball teams stink. Go practice in the off season. If you’re down 30, it’s over. Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa want Johnny and Suzy to be good. Go rebound for them when they should shoot 300-400 shots many day. Go to the gym. Show up at all the open gyms, shootouts, camps . Get the heck off your phones and be a good player. Sick of the excuses. Go to work or get embarrassed by a running clock. Rant Over !
Following your logic, let's not have the rule so teams could lose by even more. They would be oh so much more inspired to work harder. BTW, I'm against the rule due the shorter time available for subs on both teams to play.

Largely agree. I hate the running clock rule as it screws over the kids who rarely see playing time and the JV players that dress varsity. It's a loss of both experience and potential development/learning for the sake of getting the game over with.

And good lord, that is embarrassing. Team A might be the worst D2-D3 team I've ever seen in this area...I'm honestly somewhat surprised Team B didn't drop 100 in three quarters with their 6 man rotation with the pace they try to play.

Completely wrong ! Go to work Young men and women or you’ll get embarrassed. Sorry.
Im against it not for the losing team, but for the backups on the winning team who get jipped out of PT.

Hard guy response, but not based in reality.

In your scenario, everyone is a great player then and every game is a great, ultra competitive game then, right? That's just not possible. By the nature of the game, there is a loser in every game. Just as many losers as there are winners.

Also, wouldn't getting beat by 60 be more embarassing than getting beat by 40 with a running clock? The running clock was put in to reduce embarassment (which I think is stupid, btw). Sometimes you get your kicked, and that's fine.

Wow. Some of you people are completely out of it. It’s getting worse and won’t change until many of these kids get out and work really hard in the off season. If your down 35 with 4 minutes to go, who cares who’s on the court. Again, it’s sad and unless the culture and mind set changes with these kids and parents, you’ll be a lot of public kicking coming. Clock or No clock.

I think the refs should ask the coach of the team that is losing. If the coach thinks they are done, run the clock. If the coach wants to get some young guys some time play the game

Some people on here are missing the point. The running clock is there for the BENEFIT of the losing team! Those who are mad about it taking away the additional playing time or minutes, yall are clueless about basketball. The running clock is designed to keep the 35 pt deficit from becoming a 50 point deficit. Honestly, it needs to be a 25 point hardline regardless of quarter or time. I've been around basketball at the high school level a long time and I honestly cannot remember a team ever coming back from down 25 girls or boys. Statistics that were used to determine the running clock would back this up. Its more rare than you could possibly imagine.

Usually, when you have blowouts like this - the losing team is so demoralized that they stop playing hard because they winning team is openly having fun with the game. Get these games over with as quickly as possible. If the losing team feels slighted by the shorter game - stay after and put some work in with that extra time to get better.

I've been around basketball at the high school level a long time and I honestly cannot remember a team ever coming back from down 25 girls or boys.
While it's extremely rare, I have been a part of Boys Varsity second half (beginning in the 3rd quarter) comebacks of 25, 27, & 29 in the past 10 years.

Personally, I feel that if a running clock should be enacted, it should be in the 4th quarter only.

Some people on here are missing the point. The running clock is there for the BENEFIT of the losing team! Those who are mad about it taking away the additional playing time or minutes, yall are clueless about basketball.
A mercy rule has been used in baseball for a long time....

I rarely hear anyone complain about all the lost PT for the scrubs in those games. ;)

Some people on here are missing the point. The running clock is there for the BENEFIT of the losing team! Those who are mad about it taking away the additional playing time or minutes, yall are clueless about basketball. The running clock is designed to keep the 35 pt deficit from becoming a 50 point deficit. Honestly, it needs to be a 25 point hardline regardless of quarter or time. I've been around basketball at the high school level a long time and I honestly cannot remember a team ever coming back from down 25 girls or boys. Statistics that were used to determine the running clock would back this up. Its more rare than you could possibly imagine.

Usually, when you have blowouts like this - the losing team is so demoralized that they stop playing hard because they winning team is openly having fun with the game. Get these games over with as quickly as possible. If the losing team feels slighted by the shorter game - stay after and put some work in with that extra time to get better.
My biggest gripe is hearing people of the winning team complain about stats. Again; the parents are the ones complaining.

But this is how I look at it (correct me if I'm wrong). Without a running clock, the subs go in earlier (mid 3rd Q??). With the running clock, the subs go in a little later (Sometime in the 4th Quarter). When you look at it in the end, the stats (points,rebounds,assists...) come out to be about the same. If your best player was going to score 25 in a game with no running clock, he's going to be right there with 25 WITH the running clock. At least that's what I've seen this year.