Elder Football 2020

college football is moving to the spring as much for money reasons as safety reasons. High school doesn’t have that luxury. Ohsaa needs to play in the fall because they desperately need the income.

college football is moving to the spring as much for money reasons as safety reasons. High school doesn’t have that luxury. Ohsaa needs to play in the fall because they desperately need the income.
Either that or they get a bailout from the state.

The Enquirer had an article yesterday that the GCL had a meeting yesterday afternoon. I think playing each team twice home/home is a real possibility. I think that is preliminary discussions though. They have to see how many games each has to fill first.

The Enquirer had an article yesterday that the GCL had a meeting yesterday afternoon. I think playing each team twice home/home is a real possibility. I think that is preliminary discussions though. They have to see how many games each has to fill first.
That would fill the 6 game schedule for everyone. I wish it didn’t have to be that way, but it’s the most practical option for all of the schools.

Rocky Boiman made a great point yesterday about Spring Football and the impact on the student athletes mentally and physically. He said if College Football would play in the Spring this season they would only have maybe one month off before next yrs Fall Football season began. Could end up playing 22 Games or so in one calendar yr and no Football League plays 22 Games and that many practices in one calendar yr. I’m thinking most of this stuff would also apply to high school Football players unless Spring Football is made permanent which I don’t think any High Schools really want. He said this while on with Willie yesterday if anyone is interested in listening.

So what’s the common theme on Oak Hills? Is it that kids that are less driven are drawn there because the expectations are lower? With so many students, there has to be some talent. To me, it seems the coaches are always scapegoated because they know they need to push to get results, but then they’re ridiculed for pushing too hard by parents?

How does Price get some good success but football can’t? There has to be some root causes.

How does Price get some good success but football can’t? There has to be some root causes.

Basketball has 5 players in a game at one time. Football has 11. Typical basketball roster is 10-15 players? Football you need 22 starters aside from a couple players capable of playing both ways. The depth needed in football makes it challenging for schools that are struggling to turn their program around.

Basketball has 5 players in a game at one time. Football has 11. Typical basketball roster is 10-15 players? Football you need 22 starters aside from a couple players capable of playing both ways. The depth needed in football makes it challenging for schools that are struggling to turn their program around.

The numbers aren’t the issue, they have 5x as many enrolled kids. Price seems to have built a good culture of hard work that leads to some success.

Why does that seem impossible to replicate with OH football? Is it all on coaching, all on parents, the kids work ethic, or something else?

I’ll get back to ohhs in a bit.... did anyone else sense Dewine was back pedaling like an Olympic Cyclist today ? So if you are under 17 you can play football, 17 and older you are a liability!

Just saw where Big Ten is postponing fall sports.

The Big Ten will not play football in the fall with "the possibility of competition in the spring" due to health concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic. the conference said Tuesday.

After a dramatic few days full of meetings among coaches, athletics directors and university presidents, the stunning decision marks a potential tipping point for the Bowl Subdivision to play a season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement.

“As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall."

Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford throws a pass against Michigan during their game at Beaver Stadium. on Oct. 19, 2019.

The Big Ten's decision, which also includes the postponement of all fall sports, comes as another two Power Five leagues, the Pac-12 and Big 12, are holding meetings to weigh the question of how to play and deal with health and safety concerns caused by COVID-19.

"For many months, we had hoped that the return of fall collegiate sports might be an opportunity to restore some sense of normalcy and provide brighter moments for our university, our city and our state," said Wisconsin Chancellor Rebecca Blank and athletics director Barry Alvarez in a co-signed statement. "Even so, today’s decision by the Big Ten to postpone the fall 2020 sports season is the correct one.

Just saw where Big Ten is postponing fall sports.

The Big Ten will not play football in the fall with "the possibility of competition in the spring" due to health concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic. the conference said Tuesday.

After a dramatic few days full of meetings among coaches, athletics directors and university presidents, the stunning decision marks a potential tipping point for the Bowl Subdivision to play a season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement.

“As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall."

Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford throws a pass against Michigan during their game at Beaver Stadium. on Oct. 19, 2019.

The Big Ten's decision, which also includes the postponement of all fall sports, comes as another two Power Five leagues, the Pac-12 and Big 12, are holding meetings to weigh the question of how to play and deal with health and safety concerns caused by COVID-19.

"For many months, we had hoped that the return of fall collegiate sports might be an opportunity to restore some sense of normalcy and provide brighter moments for our university, our city and our state," said Wisconsin Chancellor Rebecca Blank and athletics director Barry Alvarez in a co-signed statement. "Even so, today’s decision by the Big Ten to postpone the fall 2020 sports season is the correct one.
Ironic bc the B10 Commissioner’s son is still supposed to play this fall for Miss St in the SEC.

Funny thing to me is Nebraska is talking going rogue and playing in another conference. Who would want them, since joining the Big 10 they’re a notch or so above Rutgers

Listen to the experts

I’m not saying she’s wrong, but she is working for the ACC, so there is that.

You say listen to the experts, but exactly who is that. Some say yes, others say no. This virus is such a unique thing for all of us at this time, nobody is truly able to be called an expert on it yet.

I’m not saying she’s wrong, but she is working for the ACC, so there is that.

You say listen to the experts, but exactly who is that. Some say yes, others say no. This virus is such a unique thing for all of us at this time, nobody is truly able to be called an expert on it yet.
And the B10 had their own med professionals chime in as well. Also, anyone who thinks there’s actually going to be football in the spring is delusional. The players are at far greater risk health wise from playing 2 seasons in 8 months than the Corona virus.

It's strange they made this decision so late in the game. Most of these players have already had COVID-19 so why cancel now especially with the ACC and SEC moving forward with playing in the fall. This will be very interesting to watch how this plays out for all these power 5 conferences playing vs. not playing.

And the B10 had their own med professionals chime in as well. Also, anyone who thinks there’s actually going to be football in the spring is delusional. The players are at far greater risk health wise from playing 2 seasons in 8 months than the Corona virus.

I couldn’t agree more, especially on the college level. Add in the fact that most guys projected to be in the NFL draft, especially in the early rounds would likely sit out a spring season, which would leave us with what?

The information is different day to day. There’s too many unknowns for anyone to give any specifics. That scares the hell out of people making decisions, so most are going to defer to the one that is least risky.

If you’re the SEC, this is an opportunity to truly grab the college landscape completely by the balls, if you have the balls. With risk comes tremendous reward, and I think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to go rogue. The fear is absolutely crippling this nation, and those of us who have some stones will make a killing.

If there was ever a time to start a rival league to the NFL, this would be it. They could throw some money at these college stars who are having their seasons canceled("postponed"). It would have to be very tempting for them to take some money and quit school vs. going to classes with no clear vision of what the future holds for them. I also agree that Spring football seems like a long shot to pull off.

Spring football was never a viable alternative. There has been no one working on a plan to make it a reality. If this was a real idea, there’d be people able to discuss the ramifications. There’s no one.

If there was ever a time to start a rival league to the NFL, this would be it. They could throw some money at these college stars who are having their seasons canceled("postponed"). It would have to be very tempting for them to take some money and quit school vs. going to classes with no clear vision of what the future holds for them. I also agree that Spring football seems like a long shot to pull off.

nobody’s going to throw money to college players to play pro football because of this. A new league is already hard enough. And if you are one of those players, why would you go to a new league when the NFL is where you want to be, and get the best money?

It's strange they made this decision so late in the game. Most of these players have already had COVID-19 so why cancel now especially with the ACC and SEC moving forward with playing in the fall. This will be very interesting to watch how this plays out for all these power 5 conferences playing vs. not playing.
the big 12 is also planning on going forward, at least i think they are.

jtk
()

So what’s the common theme on Oak Hills? Is it that kids that are less driven are drawn there because the expectations are lower? With so many students, there has to be some talent. To me, it seems the coaches are always scapegoated because they know they need to push to get results, but then they’re ridiculed for pushing too hard by parents?

oak hills has so many students argument is getting old. just because you have a lot of kids doesn't mean the kids play sports. plus they don't lose a lot of kids to catholic, but the ones they do lose are difference makers.

jtk
()

oak hills has so many students argument is getting old. just because you have a lot of kids doesn't mean the kids play sports. plus they don't lose a lot of kids to catholic, but the ones they do lose are difference makers.

jtk
()

You can’t tell me they don’t have just as many kids growing up in the Oak Hills sports system playing baseball, football, and basketball. They absolutely play sports at the same numbers as the kids that attend Elder.