NFHS Released Guidance for State Associations to Consider in Re-opening High School Athletics and Other Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again...comparing the NCAA to OHSAA is laughable. And Husted said training could take place. big problem is the schools are still closed. Translation...you can work with your private trainers (could anyways with the gyms open)...nice window dressing
They just amended that order

Attachments

• Screenshot (210).png
    Screenshot (210).png
    360.5 KB · Views: 25
Again...comparing the NCAA to OHSAA is laughable. And Husted said training could take place. big problem is the schools are still closed. Translation...you can work with your private trainers (could anyways with the gyms open)...nice window dressing

Husted said school facilities can reopen for training. It is open to the school district though. They can't force a school district to open their facilities for sports training. He emphasized scrimmaging/contests cannot happen. This is for skills/agility/strength training only.

This is just another sign of people passing the buck. Every day it's a new person saying the opposite thing. Believe yesterday it was that the local Health Boards were to make the decisions. Local Health Boards said umm since when. Now they put it on the local school boards. Who has anyone on their school board that could properly make public health decisions?

This is just another sign of people passing the buck. Every day it's a new person saying the opposite thing. Believe yesterday it was that the local Health Boards were to make the decisions. Local Health Boards said umm since when. Now they put it on the local school boards. Who has anyone on their school board that could properly make public health decisions?

Again, everyone is celebrating like it's "show up to school on the 27th and play". The whole announcement is such a joke. School Boards and County Health Boards calling shots?

Obviously not everything is the same from district to district. So why would you want to start an argument over this. Are you for real? And as far as "my little neck of the woods", our district plays in 6A (PA) = Division 1 (Ohio) football. It's actually quite large. I don't make the rules of our district, but I do follow them. Enjoy your day and TRY to not start any more disputes with posters please.
Lol. You should quit posting things in absolutes if you don't want people to poke holes in them. Like you're all knowing.

Of course you being in a completely different state is very relevant. Size of district doesn't matter but what state it is in does.

And....did you see dewine crumbled again? Who predicted that?

It's no different than any other business opening. Dewine/Husted are allowing places to open and with what guidelines. It's up to the business owner or in this case the superintendent to then determine if they are ready to open their facilities for training. They don't know how prepared the schools are so of course it is then up to the individual school district to then determine when they are going to open up their facilities.

Some things for the school to consider, do we have enough hand sanitizer, do we have enough supplies to clean the weight benches, weights, machines, etc.? Do they have enough space, what is the size of their facility, gym? Do they have enough personnel to keep track of the names of the students at the training session, temperature checks, etc. There is a lot to consider. The schools that have already been planning for this are probably ready to go. I don't see this as passing the buck.

it will always be up to the school district on what sports they have. But right now they're looking for some guidance and getting nothing. If some type of board said....this, this, this and this must be done for schools to open. We'd be able to say either yes or no to whether it could be realistically done. It's like they just got tired of it and said fine...your problem now. and that's not helping anything.

20200521_152617.jpg

This is the guidance that they have gotten. It is not that different than what has been put out for for thevrest of society. Its pretty funny watching and reading all the doomsdayers now. Im sure their tune will still be the same or they might even double down, but the truth is this a very positive step towards get back to some semblance of normal. Unless God forbid someone high fives someone else.

So giving high school students the same abilities they'd have as regular citizens is a step in the right direction? They literally copy and pasted their gym requirements. As long as they keep mentioning social distancing...makes it very tough to plan any type of football activity.

They worked closely with the OHSAA on this. The OHSAA stressed the importance of off season training that the athletes need in order to be ready to play their fall/winter sport in the upcoming seasons. This led to the announcement today to allow the athletes to train to get their body physically ready which involves agility drills/cardio conditioning/strength training. The guidance above is pretty clear. Contact is still not allowed.

What's going to be interesting to see what the school districts and county health boards approve of. As far as numbers and what not. This would be nationally the most lax protocol.

I have no idea what's going to happen. There's no planning on this, it's all over the place.

It would be nice if some guidance was provided to schools and coaches to what and how this needs to happen.

Even if it's just groups of 10 at a time for like an hour, that's better than nothing in terms of getting some organized conditioning going.

I think he may have been implying that is you are not in OHIO your rules, orders, mandates, or guidelines are different from ours and in affect, don't matter to Ohioans. Have a good day. We can start with all sports non-contact workouts next Tuesday according to our Gov.
That is a given. All rules orders, etc.. could be different by a city, county, state, district, etc.. That's pretty much what I have been saying if you read my posts.

Lol. You should quit posting things in absolutes if you don't want people to poke holes in them. Like you're all knowing.

Of course you being in a completely different state is very relevant. Size of district doesn't matter but what state it is in does.

And....did you see dewine crumbled again? Who predicted that?
I did not see Dewine today. What did he crumble about? And by the way, we got an email today from our Building principals that starting Monday everyone can go back and get their personal belongings as well as take anything we may need "in case" for the start of the school year. Just an FYI for you.

So giving high school students the same abilities they'd have as regular citizens is a step in the right direction? They literally copy and pasted their gym requirements. As long as they keep mentioning social distancing...makes it very tough to plan any type of football activity.
You've stated numerous times on here that you are all for football returning but I am not buying it at all. No matter what positive info comes out you have some negative retort for it. Let me break this down for you so it doesn't seem so tough. You break up weightroom times according to position and, if you need to, grade. Most rosters in Ohio are probably around the 30-40 range, many much less. This should allow teams to have between 6-10 kids in the weightroom at a time, depending on the size. The rest of the team can be out on the practice field conditioning again in position grouos to comply with social distancing. Bigger schools/teams can do this on alternating days to keep numbers more manageable. Most teams don't huddle anymore, so running through plays is absolutely no problem. All types of football activity that would be happening right now are actually very easy, other than making sure the equipment is kept clean, which isn't that difficult. I know this isn't the sky-is-falling scenario that a lot of you on here seem to get rocks off to, but the news today is a really good thing for the kids in this state and we should all be happy for THEM.

it will always be up to the school district on what sports they have. But right now they're looking for some guidance and getting nothing. If some type of board said....this, this, this and this must be done for schools to open. We'd be able to say either yes or no to whether it could be realistically done. It's like they just got tired of it and said fine...your problem now. and that's not helping anything.
Welcome to what all 50 state Governors have been living. This has been their everyday life with the POTUS since this pandemic hit the US. No one wants to take the lead and give clear directions for anything. Crap has always runs downhill and continues to run down hill. What a joke. Do we have any leaders anywhere?

Last edited:
I did not see Dewine today. What did he crumble about? And by the way, we got an email today from our Building principals that starting Monday everyone can go back and get their personal belongings as well as take anything we may need "in case" for the start of the school year. Just an FYI for you.
Go read post #50 again

I have no idea what's going to happen. There's no planning on this, it's all over the place.

It would be nice if some guidance was provided to schools and coaches to what and how this needs to happen.

Even if it's just groups of 10 at a time for like an hour, that's better than nothing in terms of getting some organized conditioning going.

They said they are still putting a plan in place for contact sports. What they announced today is guidelines for ALL sports to have physical training to get ready for their season, but NO CONTACT only. They did not specify a maximum number, so it looks to me like they are leaving it up to the discretion of the facilities manager to determine the number of occupants they can safely have in their facility and maintain the 6 foot distance recommendation for safety.

Here is their guidance: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/responsible/Skills-Training-All Sports.pdf

Go read post #50 again
You were right about schools opening for sports in Ohio. I'm glad. Now we'll see if PA will follow suit. Not that it matters, because I really only go to Ohio HS football games. Although it does matter to the kids, coaches, parents, etc... But I believe that it will still ultimately come down to a couple things:
1. will schools be open in the fall to the students to have classes.
2. if they start the HS football season on time, and then cases start popping up, what will be the overall protocol. Does it all end? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Welcome to what all 50 state Governors have been living. This has been their everyday life with the POTUS since this pandemic hit the US. No one wants to take the lead and give clear directions for anything. Crap has always runs downhill and continues to run down hill. What a joke. Do we have any leaders anywhere?

Your governor sure f'd up.

You've stated numerous times on here that you are all for football returning but I am not buying it at all. No matter what positive info comes out you have some negative retort for it. Let me break this down for you so it doesn't seem so tough. You break up weightroom times according to position and, if you need to, grade. Most rosters in Ohio are probably around the 30-40 range, many much less. This should allow teams to have between 6-10 kids in the weightroom at a time, depending on the size. The rest of the team can be out on the practice field conditioning again in position grouos to comply with social distancing. Bigger schools/teams can do this on alternating days to keep numbers more manageable. Most teams don't huddle anymore, so running through plays is absolutely no problem. All types of football activity that would be happening right now are actually very easy, other than making sure the equipment is kept clean, which isn't that difficult. I know this isn't the sky-is-falling scenario that a lot of you on here seem to get rocks off to, but the news today is a really good thing for the kids in this state and we should all be happy for THEM.

You might not like my answers but I do truly miss football. Spent some time watching the old tapes during this "whatever we're in now"...I can say unless someone takes charge there will be absolutely no HS football this fall on Ohio. There can't be different rules for everyone. Or even worse....we just pick our own rules. there has been nothing that's lead me to believe there will be a football season. Nobody wants to take the liability. So now they're going to put it on the school boards. Who have absolutely no reason to be making a health pandemic decision. Emotionally if I'm on the board I want to play, is that the right choice for school district though? I don't know. Not my expertise and probably not theirs either.

Husted said school facilities can reopen for training. It is open to the school district though. They can't force a school district to open their facilities for sports training. He emphasized scrimmaging/contests cannot happen. This is for skills/agility/strength training only.

What is "skills" training? Are they going to let kids throw a football around or shoot basketball?

What about strength training? I doubt they are going to allow an entire football team to be in the weight room at once. You still have to social distance, so how does that work in the weight room?

This whole thing seems like mess...

They said they are still putting a plan in place for contact sports. What they announced today is guidelines for ALL sports to have physical training to get ready for their season, but NO CONTACT only. They did not specify a maximum number, so it looks to me like they are leaving it up to the discretion of the facilities manager to determine the number of occupants they can safely have in their facility and maintain the 6 foot distance recommendation for safety.

Here is their guidance: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/responsible/Skills-Training-All Sports.pdf

Guidance seems very vague...

You might not like my answers but I do truly miss football. Spent some time watching the old tapes during this "whatever we're in now"...I can say unless someone takes charge there will be absolutely no HS football this fall on Ohio. There can't be different rules for everyone. Or even worse....we just pick our own rules. there has been nothing that's lead me to believe there will be a football season. Nobody wants to take the liability. So now they're going to put it on the school boards. Who have absolutely no reason to be making a health pandemic decision. Emotionally if I'm on the board I want to play, is that the right choice for school district though? I don't know. Not my expertise and probably not theirs either.
No one person is going to take liability in a situation like this. They laid out the basic guidelines and they aren't that hard to figure out. I'm not sure why so many people are having such a hard time with this. The liability lies with the school boards with sports in every situation, this is really no different. The state has put guidelines out and it falls on the schools to follow them. Like I said, it's not rocket science. If schools or individuals choose not to participate then thats fine and on them. I will say this though, they will be in the same situation in the fall when the state says to open schools. There will be those that want to stay in their bunkers and they can. If its whole school districts? Then look for a lot of movement via open enrollment and the private route.

What is "skills" training? Are they going to let kids throw a football around or shoot basketball?

What about strength training? I doubt they are going to allow an entire football team to be in the weight room at once. You still have to social distance, so how does that work in the weight room?

This whole thing seems like mess...
Skills training is exactly what every high school football team would be doing at this time of year every single year. See my earlier post on how the weightroom would work. Very rarely is the whole team in there anyway. Unless they have a weightroom big enoough ie 10-12 rack, benches etc, they aren't getting enough work in to be productive with the whole team there. Nor are they supervised/coached/spotted correctly either.

6-10 per weight room?? What weight rooms are you in that can accommodate that with the 12 foot Social Distancing guidelines by NFHS? I have only seen a handful of weightrooms that would be able to accommodate 6 people with those requirements (that's also including coaches).

I just talked with my good friend and assistant football coach for the High School I work at in PA. And before I go on, I will preface that with it might just be our district, but he was pretty sure it was state wide. So don't quote me yet that it is state wide. He confirms what I was pretty sure about. In PA, no schools are allowed to open ANY of their facilities for athletics or extra curricular activities until at least July 1. So Ohio consider yourself lucky. Or unlucky depending how it all shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.