NFHS Released Guidance for State Associations to Consider in Re-opening High School Athletics and Other Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.
It totally shocks me that the stats and data are showing us this is nowhere close to what was predicted and people are upset that we are starting to take step to return to normal.
People are upset because they were wrong and now they look bad. Seems like a lot of people around the country would rather this virus kill 1,000,000 Americans to prove themselves right and be able to blame it all on the government (mainly Trump).

I just talked with my good friend and assistant football coach for the High School I work at in PA. And before I go on, I will preface that with it might just be our district, but he was pretty sure it was state wide. So don't quote me yet that it is state wide. He confirms what I was pretty sure about. In PA, no schools are allowed to open ANY of their facilities for athletics or extra curricular activities until at least July 1. So Ohio consider yourself lucky. Or unlucky depending how it all shakes out.
This could change for you guys too. I think Ohio had similar guidance just a few days ago.

That is a given. All rules orders, etc.. could be different by a city, county, state, district, etc.. That's pretty much what I have been saying if you read my posts.
Well then stop coming on here and telling all of use that ALL schools are closed just because you thought yours was but found out it's not.

6-10 per weight room?? What weight rooms are you in that can accommodate that with the 12 foot Social Distancing guidelines by NFHS? I have only seen a handful of weightrooms that would be able to accommodate 6 people with those requirements (that's also including coaches).

Anything to argue huh? Listen if you have kids and don't want them to go lift then don't. If you don't want them to go to school and be 11'11" or 5'11" or whatever away from someone then don't let them go. There are plenty of ways that the kids will get to lift and run and be around their teammates and actually thrive. I know that might stick in your craw but I'm sure something else will come along that you'll be able to b*tch about. Our weightroom will be utilized effectively and efficiently within the rules, mind boggling as it may be to you, and the kids can't wait.

Anything to argue huh? Listen if you have kids and don't want them to go lift then don't. If you don't want them to go to school and be 11'11" or 5'11" or whatever away from someone then don't let them go. There are plenty of ways that the kids will get to lift and run and be around their teammates and actually thrive. I know that might stick in your craw but I'm sure something else will come along that you'll be able to b*tch about. Our weightroom will be utilized effectively and efficiently within the rules, mind boggling as it may be to you, and the kids can't wait.
Damn, someone's got their panties in a twist huh. Look, if you have been following at all, I think all of this social distancing and coronavirus protocol is just stupid. I want all the kids lifting together. I want everything opened up 2 months ago.

I am bringing up a legitimate question. Will high schools be expected to abide by NHFS guidelines? Who will be ultimately responsible? What will penalties be if one doesn't follow? Those are legitimate questions, especially if I'm a coach, am I going to risk lawsuits for a few grand?

Honestly, with the NFHS 12 ft requirement, at 6 people, you have to have 72 ft long weight room. How would u move from one end to another? How do you as a coach keep an eye one everyone? How do you juggle other sports? Ensuring everything is sanitized? Can't provide water for players either, do you send them home when they don't bring their own?

Again, I'm not ing, I'm asking legitimate questions about operations. This is going to be much more difficult than you think, especially with every school being afraid of lawsuits and always in Cover your mode.

Again, all of these extra regulations are archaic and simply unnecessary. But they are here.

Last edited:
Well then stop coming on here and telling all of use that ALL schools are closed just because you thought yours was but found out it's not.
I am really confused by your post. Our school district is closed. Kids are doing everything online. NO facilities are open to ANY extra curricular activities. And the current reopen date for HS practices is July 1. The only thing that has changed is that we are able to get our personal belongings starting Monday. That just came out. So I really have no idea what you are writing about.

Damn, someone's got their panties in a twist huh. Look, if you have been following at all, I think all of this social distancing and coronavirus protocol is just stupid. I want all the kids lifting together. I want everything opened up 2 months ago.

I am bringing up a legitimate question. Will high schools be expected to abide by NHFS guidelines? Who will be ultimately responsible? What will penalties be if one doesn't follow? Those are legitimate questions, especially if I'm a coach, am I going to risk lawsuits for a few grand?

Honestly, with the NFHS 12 ft requirement, at 6 people, you have to have 72 ft long weight room. How would u move from one end to another? How do you as a coach keep an eye one everyone? How do you juggle other sports? Ensuring everything is sanitized? Can't provide water for players either, do you send them home when they don't bring their own?

Again, I'm not ing, I'm asking legitimate questions about operations. This is going to be much more difficult than you think, especially with every school being afraid of lawsuits and always in Cover your mode.

Again, all of these extra regulations are archaic and simply unnecessary. But they are here.
No panties twisting here, I'm not the one agonizing of what are quite honestly some silly and trivial details. Im pretty sure we'll figure out how to move from one end of the weightroom to the other and don't coaches always have to keep their eyes on everyone? Listen, yes things are different but at least they are moving in the right direction. Successful people will find solutions, unsuccessful ones will find excuses. Its pretty much that simple. Come fall I'm sure you'll see who figured out who brought their water bottles, disinfect the bench and rotate weightroom time between sports and who didn't. It should be fairly apparent.

I am really confused by your post. Our school district is closed. Kids are doing everything online. NO facilities are open to ANY extra curricular activities. And the current reopen date for HS practices is July 1. The only thing that has changed is that we are able to get our personal belongings starting Monday. That just came out. So I really have no idea what you are writing about.
You debated on here, which many of us if not most are in Ohio that all schools were closed. Your words were, "Schools have closed and are off limits to even staff." This is and was not true. Many Ohio schools have teachers in their rooms preparing projects for their students. Administrators in their offices conducting meetings and even interviews for next years hiring. Even in your own building you admitted later that essential workers were in the buildings working in PA. IN my district our track and some fields have had people on them regularly. Many facilities in Ohio are open for staff.

I may have missed it, but does full team weight lifting start soon? Or will it just be a small number of players allowed?? This all seems very confusing, the stress the players are goin through has to be tough.

You debated on here, which many of us if not most are in Ohio that all schools were closed. Your words were, "Schools have closed and are off limits to even staff." This is and was not true. Many Ohio schools have teachers in their rooms preparing projects for their students. Administrators in their offices conducting meetings and even interviews for next years hiring. Even in your own building you admitted later that essential workers were in the buildings working in PA. IN my district our track and some fields have had people on them regularly. Many facilities in Ohio are open for staff.
I was strictly referring to PA. And I only said that a Skelton janitor crew and cafeteria people handing out free breakfasts and free lunches were working. So don't LIE and put words in my mouth. We have both said our peace. Now have a great rest of your day. I am done regarding posting about this.

I was strictly referring to PA. And I only said that a Skelton janitor crew and cafeteria people handing out free breakfasts and free lunches were working. So don't LIE and put words in my mouth. We have both said our peace. Now have a great rest of your day. I am done regarding posting about this.
You made this reply to my comment about the OHSAA and holding workouts at the schools on school gounds.
"No, they can not happen on school property. Schools have closed and are off limits to even staff. So no practices will be happening on school property for awhile. "
How were you referring to PA when I was saying the OHSAA was indicating is was going to happen?

Maybe you don't see "janitors" and "cafeteria people" as school staff but many of us do. Obviously in your district they are the essential workers.

Good day.

I may have missed it, but does full team weight lifting start soon? Or will it just be a small number of players allowed?? This all seems very confusing, the stress the players are goin through has to be tough.

It depends on which Yappi poster you ask. Then from there it goes to the State level where they've decided to punt. County Health Boards think they might be in charge but nobodies told them. Their lines are currently full by people calling in to report Social Distancing Violations at local establishments. School Boards are contacting the school nurse to get her opinion.

It's sorta a mess

This is getting ridiculous.

Facts from the Columbus Dispatch. 70% of Covid deaths have happened in long term facilities. There are 11.7 million people in Ohio. Less than 600 deaths outside of long term facilities. Ohioans have a .0005% (YES THAT IS FOUR ZEROS BEFORE THE 5) to have any kind of lethal form of the virus if you are not in a long term facility (nursing homes, etc). Therefore, you LITERALLY have a much better chance of dying from the flu than you do from Covid-19, contrary to what the fake news is telling you. These are number based, scientific FACTS.

Let's play ball folks. All of you doomsdayers can stay home. The rest of us will take our chances of being around a virus that is far weaker than most novel viruses.

Dropping the mic there.

This is getting ridiculous.

Facts from the Columbus Dispatch. 70% of Covid deaths have happened in long term facilities. There are 11.7 million people in Ohio. Less than 600 deaths outside of long term facilities. Ohioans have a .0005% (YES THAT IS FOUR ZEROS BEFORE THE 5) to have any kind of lethal form of the virus if you are not in a long term facility (nursing homes, etc). Therefore, you LITERALLY have a much better chance of dying from the flu than you do from Covid-19, contrary to what the fake news is telling you. These are number based, scientific FACTS.

Let's play ball folks. All of you doomsdayers can stay home. The rest of us will take our chances of being around a virus that is far weaker than most novel viruses.

Dropping the mic there.

Pick up the mic. The biggest threat to starting football is the threat of lawsuits. So, every parent whose kid participates must sign a waiver, saying that if the kid contracts the virus and is hospitalized or dies, neither the OHSAA nor the school is liable. Every person who watches from the stands, every cheerleader, every band member, absolutely everyone who comes to the stadium must sign the waiver. If the waiver is not signed, the the spectator is barred from the stadium or the kids is not allowed to participate. That's the only way the organization can hope to prevent the inevitable lawsuits. Is it doable? Probably not. Will the OHSAA be sued anyway? Probably. Hence, the extraordinary precaution in this sometimes frivolously litigious society. Back in the " good old days," no problem starting soon. But today? Who are we kidding?

Pick up the mic. The biggest threat to starting football is the threat of lawsuits. So, every parent whose kid participates must sign a waiver, saying that if the kid contracts the virus and is hospitalized or dies, neither the OHSAA nor the school is liable. Every person who watches from the stands, every cheerleader, every band member, absolutely everyone who comes to the stadium must sign the waiver. If the waiver is not signed, the the spectator is barred from the stadium or the kids is not allowed to participate. That's the only way the organization can hope to prevent the inevitable lawsuits. Is it doable? Probably not. Will the OHSAA be sued anyway? Probably. Hence, the extraordinary precaution in this sometimes frivolously litigious society. Back in the " good old days," no problem starting soon. But today? Who are we kidding?

Are you an attorney?

Don't we have to sign waivers already to participate in sports? What's another clause?

As far as the spectators go.....do you have a link to those statements or are you just speculating? Do we require spectators to sign waivers that say if they trip in the bleachers they can't hold the school liable? What if they choke on a hot dog or get stung by a bee? Of all the interactions the spectators have in their daily lives I think it will be pretty hard to pinpoint a HS football game as the cause.

Do people sign waivers to go to the mall, restaurants, bars or out in public in general? No one holds a gun to their heads to go out for recreational purposes and those places aren't generally liable for their well being. Yes occasional lawsuits happen for extreme circumstances but I couldn't see a lawsuit flying for a person CHOOSING to go to a game, getting sick and blaming the school. Honestly same goes for any coach, ref or player too. They do notvhave to do any of these if they are fearful of contracting it. I realize there are extremely litigious people out there that will sue and that is sad.

Buying a ticket is signing a waiver. Same with baseball, you can't sue the stadium for getting hit with a foul ball because you purchased the ticket fully knowing the risks involved. Doesn't take an attorney to figure out how simple that is.

Of course it seems ridiculous for everyone to sign a waiver, but the association, which is on the verge of serious financial trouble cannot afford to defend a frivolous lawsuit, brought about by someone who wants to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, which is why I said it wasn't doable. But they have to take serious precautions, since another outbreak would ruin the season anyway. All of these " Open everything now" advocates don't realize the precautions that must be instituted before a sport such as football could be authorized. The same thing for marching band. Wind and brass instruments put out a lot of saliva into the air. Choruses will not be allowed to have practices either without serious steps for safety. So, let's put a halt to the " Open up now " talk and hope that the precautions will be enough so that the season can start on time, safely for everyone.

Of course it seems ridiculous, but the association, which is on the verge of serious financial trouble cannot afford to defend a frivolous lawsuit, brought about by someone who wants to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, which is why I said it wasn't doable. But they have to take serious precautions, since another outbreak would ruin the season anyway. All of these " Open everything now" advocates don't realize the precautions that must be instituted before a sport such as football could be authorized. The same thing for marching band. Wind and brass instruments put out a lot of saliva into the air. Choruses will not be allowed to have practices either without serious steps for safety. So, let's put a halt to the " Open up now " talk and hope that the precautions will be enough so that the season can start on time, safely for everyone.
So you don't have a link to anything from ohsaa that says there will be waivers? You are just speculating then?

Yes....open now. Unless you live in a nursing home you're not at risk. Time to get back to the old normal not the new normal.

So you don't have a link to anything from ohsaa that says there will be waivers? You are just speculating then?

Yes....open now. Unless you live in a nursing home you're not at risk. Time to get back to the old normal not the new normal.

Sigh. We aren't going back to the "old normal" very soon. It will take time.

Sigh. We aren't going back to the "old normal" very soon. It will take time.
Sigh. We should. We know who is vulnerable and who is not. As fast as dewine is crumbling under the pressure I wouldn't be surprised if by August 1 the only noticeable difference is people wearing masks which is already happening in a large way.

Of course it seems ridiculous for everyone to sign a waiver, but the association, which is on the verge of serious financial trouble cannot afford to defend a frivolous lawsuit, brought about by someone who wants to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, which is why I said it wasn't doable. But they have to take serious precautions, since another outbreak would ruin the season anyway. All of these " Open everything now" advocates don't realize the precautions that must be instituted before a sport such as football could be authorized. The same thing for marching band. Wind and brass instruments put out a lot of saliva into the air. Choruses will not be allowed to have practices either without serious steps for safety. So, let's put a halt to the " Open up now " talk and hope that the precautions will be enough so that the season can start on time, safely for everyone.
This is why the association put the decision to open and allow activities on each individual district. People may try to sue but I see them failing. Players, parents, fans have the option of saying no and not attending. It can be argued that everyone is aware of the virus and by going outside your bubble you understand the risk and amount of it.

This is why the association put the decision to open and allow activities on each individual district. People may try to sue but I see them failing. Players, parents, fans have the option of saying no and not attending. It can be argued that everyone is aware of the virus and by going outside your bubble you understand the risk and amount of it.

Any lawsuit against a school or the OHSAA, minus some truly knowing and reckless behavior, has a miniscule to no chance chance of success. The potential for the liability of schools and the OHSAA is really not a serious issue.

We

Dude. You must have no concept of administration. Yes there will waivers, liabilities are a huge issue. Public schools funded by tax-payers money, it’s extremely complicated. Think about all the time and sign off on concussions, now consider a brand new unknown virus. You might not be afraid, other posters might not be afraid, but a lot of people are afraid. Why do you think these professional leagues are dragging their feet and not playing yet? They are losing millions. Come on now.

Have you read the OHSAA rules that kids and parents sign? There is a specific clause about viruses. Its covered. The school is covered.

Mic was dropped. Leave your kids at home if you don't want them to play.

1590167879961.png

Have you read the OHSAA rules that kids and parents sign? There is a specific clause about viruses. Its covered. The school is covered.

Mic was dropped. Leave your kids at home if you don't want them to play.

Do not disagree with your mindset, however you have to keep in mind that your perspective possibly is shared by the minority of many coaches and administrators. There are a lot of actions that need to be covered. For example, if a player’s parent has Covid, does the team shut down? School shut down? District shut down. It’s not as easy as you think.

Read the bold faced type under informed consent very carefully to those that wish to argue about OHSAA getting sued. A little research goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.