Ohio's guidelines are out for returning to baseball

I'm sure umpires will love working all day tournaments with a mask on the whole time. Going to lose a ton of umps and there's already a shortage.

Just saw where the state is mandating umpires wear a face covering at all times. I umpire in the big tournaments in my area. It's fun money and not a required income, but this is making me think about wanting to umpire this Summer now. I can't imagine doing a double header in June/July in 80 degrees and being humid out having a face mask on for 1.5-2 hours for a game... then add in if you are at the plate... Yikes!!

The other guideline I find confusing is each team has their own set of game balls. Each teams set of game balls will be held in the same ball bag worn by umpires. So they are going into the same "contaminated" storage space. Unless each bent just throws a ball back into play after a foul ball or something...

Just saw where the state is mandating umpires wear a face covering at all times. I umpire in the big tournaments in my area. It's fun money and not a required income, but this is making me think about wanting to umpire this Summer now. I can't imagine doing a double header in June/July in 80 degrees and being humid out having a face mask on for 1.5-2 hours for a game... then add in if you are at the plate... Yikes!!
I agree Bugsy. I work in healthcare and have to wear a mask all day and the thought of a mask when I ump doesn’t sound like fun. It will also fog up my glasses

I personally hope they go with throwing in new balls from the bench. I want all the doctored ball theories for U12 baseball.

The other guideline I find confusing is each team has their own set of game balls. Each teams set of game balls will be held in the same ball bag worn by umpires. So they are going into the same "contaminated" storage space. Unless each bent just throws a ball back into play after a foul ball or something...
For our league, the coaches are supposed to put the game ball in to play when a foul ball occurs. The umpires will not come into contact with them throughout a game.

Bugsy, do you get assigned games (on days you can work) or do you pick stuff up on your own? What are you hearing from your colleagues? It's my personal opinion that Umps should be behind the pitcher. I'd think it'd be a safety concern to wear a mask under your...mask. One you couldn't come close to a proper fit, what happens when you pull your catcher mask off and your safety mask covers your eyes or more likely...just come off with it. Then you just keep putting the same dirty mask on every few batters?

Also, I believe there will be a major shortage in umpires. One ump behind the pitcher might be all leagues can come up with.

Bugsy, do you get assigned games (on days you can work) or do you pick stuff up on your own? What are you hearing from your colleagues? It's my personal opinion that Umps should be behind the pitcher. I'd think it'd be a safety concern to wear a mask under your...mask. One you couldn't come close to a proper fit, what happens when you pull your catcher mask off and your safety mask covers your eyes or more likely...just come off with it. Then you just keep putting the same dirty mask on every few batters?

Also, I believe there will be a major shortage in umpires. One ump behind the pitcher might be all leagues can come up with.

My Summer group has an assigner. We cover several leagues and the big tournaments that use fields in our area. I didn't think of the potential issue you brought up with taking a mask on and off. I'm in decent shape for an older person, but there are some games/days during the Summer that kick your butt. Add in something that keep air off your face along with having equipment on that makes you warm already, I don't know.

I was also thinking about the scenario that doesn't happen a lot in games, but when in the A position and there is a gap shot and you have the runner all the way to cover third. The mask will make it a little more difficult restricting air while you are running, add in a hot day, tough.

Haven't heard from our group since the new guidelines. I am sure a mass email will be coming.

No gum chewing
No seeds

Who was on this working group?

I am aware of you replying on the "Ask the Umpire" thread. I am wondering with these new guidelines, who is responsible at the site during the game to enforce these rules? If I am umpiring a game and see kids in the dugout too close, not using masks do I need to remind the coach, kids or ignore it and let the coach deal with his own team in that regard?

I am aware of you replying on the "Ask the Umpire" thread. I am wondering with these new guidelines, who is responsible at the site during the game to enforce these rules? If I am umpiring a game and see kids in the dugout too close, not using masks do I need to remind the coach, kids or ignore it and let the coach deal with his own team in that regard?

Have no idea who is going to enforce this crap.

I have yet to speak to an umpire that's all in on this. Just another reason why I stopped doing summer ball years ago. Everyone has their own regulations and rules. (aside from money rules summer ball)

As an umpire, unless I'm explicitly told it's my job to police the bench area, I'm going to leave that to the coaches and/or tournament management. My job is to manage the game on the field, and to ensure that there are no distractions to that (in normal times I'm only worried about the bench area if it's a distraction to me managing the game on the field).

That's my first instinct on it as an umpire.

Everyone just polices themselves. These aren't rules that give you an advantage over your opponent if you don't follow them, like 6tt leads, or no stealing, etc. These are rules to help look out for the safety of everyone involved. If you're an umpire it's not your job to make sure everyone is staying 6ft apart, but at the same time if you feel like a team, or even both teams, aren't following the guidelines and are putting yourself and others at risk, my advice would be to say something to the coaches, and if they don't seem to care, go ahead and end the game.

For those complaining about having to wear a mask, I figure if I can run around in full MOPP gear in the 130+ degree desert, wearing a small cloth mask during an Ohio summer shouldn't be an issue. A nuance, maybe uncomfortable, but definitely doable.

Just sayin

8d027e60ab59d522e64e21d38b504c82.jpg

For those complaining about having to wear a mask, I figure if I can run around in full MOPP gear in the 130+ degree desert, wearing a small cloth mask during an Ohio summer shouldn't be an issue. A nuance, maybe uncomfortable, but definitely doable.

Just sayin

View attachment 7208

Umpiring a Summer baseball game is nowhere near fighting for freedoms around the world. Our mindset isn't even in the same galaxy. The job of a soldier is way more important than anything we do umpiring a game. We are not facing toxic gases everywhere that could kill us quickly and incapacitate us. The comparison isn't even on the same level.

Umpiring a Summer baseball game is nowhere near fighting for freedoms around the world. Our mindset isn't even in the same galaxy. The job of a soldier is way more important than anything we do umpiring a game. We are not facing toxic gases everywhere that could kill us quickly and incapacitate us. The comparison isn't even on the same level.
No, my point is how difficult it is to do anything in that gear, let alone doing it in 130+ degree heat. Painfully difficult. So if I can do that, handling a cloth mask this summer in Ohio isn't a big deal. And truthfully, tfats exactly what I will be telling my players and their parents if they cry about too.

No, my point is how difficult it is to do anything in that gear, let alone doing it in 130+ degree heat. Painfully difficult. So if I can do that, handling a cloth mask this summer in Ohio isn't a big deal. And truthfully, tfats exactly what I will be telling my players and their parents if they cry about too.

Good luck this Summer. Deciding whether or not to "suck it up" correlates directly to the importance of the job at hand. A solider is right near the top of the list. An umpire or a third baseman on a Summer team, meh. Not that important.

So I'm curious how a first baseman is going to hold the runner on if he can't be within 6 feet of him. Does that mean they will draw a line in the dirt and if you lead off you need to get at least 6 feet away from first base? Will the first baseman have to stand back away from the bag until the runner takes his lead....them step over to the bag?

So I'm curious how a first baseman is going to hold the runner on if he can't be within 6 feet of him. Does that mean they will draw a line in the dirt and if you lead off you need to get at least 6 feet away from first base? Will the first baseman have to stand back away from the bag until the runner takes his lead....them step over to the bag?
I've heard of some leagues having no stealing.

Good luck this Summer. Deciding whether or not to "suck it up" correlates directly to the importance of the job at hand. A solider is right near the top of the list. An umpire or a third baseman on a Summer team, meh. Not that important.
This is true, thus why you already have some teams canceling their summer seasons.

The 6ft. rule does not apply during game action, and that should be considered game action.

The restrictions on SCHOOL coaches having contact with their players has been lifted as of today. The important next questions: Will they waive the 50% rule? And will they lift the restrictions (or should I say, will the ODH lift the restrictions) on school facilities?

And before anyone jumps on me and says "There is no restriction on school outdoor facilities, the Lt. Governor said so...." let me tell you that stadiums and ball fields ARE restricted (for now) and my AD also believes firmly that is the case. So no one is playing on our field until that is lifted. Which, I hope happens on May 26 also. But we'll see.

If they DON"T lift that restriction on school fields, it will certainly hurt some travel ball clubs due to limited tournament and practice facilities....but it would REALLY kill any Acme-type teams who were hoping to survive and put together a self-made schedule of games....

I'm sure umpires will love working all day tournaments with a mask on the whole time. Going to lose a ton of umps and there's already a shortage.
Think many would complain if they didn't wear it? I wouldn't, but there would be some Nancy who would report it.

I don't think the "50% rule" is in effect during the summer anyway, but I could be wrong.

The rule that did get scrapped for this summer is the limited number of coaching (i.e. contact) days once contact is allowed.

I don't think the "50% rule" is in effect during the summer anyway, but I could be wrong.

The rule that did get scrapped for this summer is the limited number of coaching (i.e. contact) days once contact is allowed.
Summer the HS staff has ten days they can work with their teams. I don't know how many actually use it for baseball.

This year it's unlimited days HS coaches can work with there guys
I wonder if and how many will take advantage of this?
I know locally, if they change course and decide to have ACME it could work out great as many places have your whole team together anyways. Other places that have kids scattered to the wind on their "all star teams" or some not playing at all I wonder what they will do.

Will they try to pick up games? Just practice? Don't know how it will work in some places