2019 MVL Projections

Never thought I’d see the day. Anyone at this game that can chime in on what happened?

I said when the season started Piqua had a weakness, and last night the Pirates had the tools to exploit that weakness. Take that and a Piqua team that once again thought they would just show up and win, and TADA... you get beat!

Piqua is a young team, and the future is safe, but the last 4 games of this season I can see the Indians going anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4! They have to tools, but not the experience.

Just a Sophomore. Probably took a few games to get used to the speed of the game and is now comfortable and just hitting his stride. Scary good if that is true. May have been playing injured also and is now full speed. I notice he did not play against Butler 3 games ago.
Happy for wc. Great for the conference if their competitive.

Looking at the stats for West Carrollton, it appears they had a philosophy change and started throwing the ball more. Early in the season they was trying to run the ball more. Looking at what is left of their schedule it's not out of the question they don't win out... and like yakyak said that is good for the league.

Fairborn lost on a hook and latter I heard? Pretty unfortunate if true. Down 17-0 nothing at one point I heard on Friday. Pretty awful way to lose. This coaching staff might be better than I originally thought. Culture change in the midst may be in play. How experienced is this staff? Seem with this much resiliency means they have experience to get the boys to buy in on previous successes? Usually young staff gets uncomfortable with their play calling. Especially, defensively. This a team to be aware of in the future or posers?

Fairborn lost on a hook and latter I heard? Pretty unfortunate if true. Down 17-0 nothing at one point I heard on Friday. Pretty awful way to lose. This coaching staff might be better than I originally thought. Culture change in the midst may be in play. How experienced is this staff? Seem with this much resiliency means they have experience to get the boys to buy in on previous successes? Usually young staff gets uncomfortable with their play calling. Especially, defensively. This a team to be aware of in the future or posers?

Considering they have 3 Seniors that contribute now. I think they'll be in good shape in the future.

Yes, the Skyhawks came back from a 0-17 deficit to tie with 35 seconds left & converted a two point conversion to do it. Here is the Hook & Ladder play that won it for Sidney with seconds left on the clock ... posted on twitter by Fairborn's EZ Cameraman - Have to give Sidney credit as they ran it perfectly. Fairborn was playing without 3 starters (5 positions) including the MVL's leading receiver for catches at the time. They had knocked the Sidney QB out of the game and beat up EJ Davis who left the game repeatedly but finished it like a true soldier. Their 2-4 record is misleading & could easily be 4-2 and possibly even 5-1. With that said, they have some tough competition ahead in the last 4 games to include Troy & Xenia who have everyone out manned.

Last edited:
Never thought I’d see the day that Greenville would beat Tipp. Congrats to them!!!
Last time Greenville beat Tipp was 14 years ago. Last year Tipp was ahead at the half by 43-0 on Greenville. 50 point swing between last year and this years final scores. What a difference a year makes ... or coaching change. Greenville has a new HC this year.

Last edited:
Does it seem that the teams of the MVL are down this year?
West Carrollton has proven that the future can be bright but will that last there? I look at WC like I look at Northridge in the SWBL.
Troy has rebounded well, Piqua is down, Xenia is ok, and Tipp is way down.
Is it just the cycles that high schools go through oris it coaching changes?
I love the make-up of the MVL. Great rivalries.

West Carrollton has proven that the future can be bright but will that last there? I look at WC like I look at Northridge in the SWBL.

For Butler it's really been about the youth. I don't know that I have ever seen a Butler team with so many sophomores starting. (Playing well too I should add) The Aviators also have a number of seniors that haven't started in the past - and in some cases haven't played the sport for several years. 7th/ 8th grade talent and numbers are there so the future of the program looks solid. Still an opportunity to finish strong and close out the season with a winning record.

For the first time in a long while, a lot of us in Greenville are looking positively at the future of football here. Time will tell, but I truly believe Schmitz has a good plan going forward.

Tipp is way down. Congrats to Greenville it was bound to happen sometime. I’m not worried about this season as a Tipp fan. I knew things would be rough the first few seasons. When Burgbacher was first hired I said that I didn’t care if they were bad the first 3 to 4 seasons because I know the talent will eventually come back and Tipp will be good. It’s so unfortunate for Tipp that the talent completely dropped off as they went into the GWOC and now MVL

Tipp is way down. Congrats to Greenville it was bound to happen sometime. I’m not worried about this season as a Tipp fan. I knew things would be rough the first few seasons. When Burgbacher was first hired I said that I didn’t care if they were bad the first 3 to 4 seasons because I know the talent will eventually come back and Tipp will be good. It’s so unfortunate for Tipp that the "talent completely dropped off" as they went into the GWOC and now MVL

Let me reword that for you friend.

"It's so unfortunate for Tipp that the "competition got stronger" as they went into the GWOC and now MVL."

You are now in a league with teams like Troy that you have only beaten twice in a hundred years. Even lower half teams like Fairborn & West Carrollton give you a fight. That's nothing to be ashamed of. It's just a tougher schedule and tougher level of play.

Last edited:
For Butler it's really been about the youth. I don't know that I have ever seen a Butler team with so many sophomores starting. (Playing well too I should add) The Aviators also have a number of seniors that haven't started in the past - and in some cases haven't played the sport for several years. 7th/ 8th grade talent and numbers are there so the future of the program looks solid. Still an opportunity to finish strong and close out the season with a winning record.
Puckett knows what he is doing & knows the game. He is building a culture.

The first two pages we all had a thought it would be down. But with that, has been some exciting football. Next 3-5 years should be really good though. A quality team may go 5-5. But, no one will make noise in the tourney I am afraid.

Puckett knows what he is doing & knows the game. He is building a culture.

This * 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

"It's so unfortunate for Tipp that the "competition got stronger" as they went into the GWOC and now MVL."

You are now in a league with teams like Troy that you have only beaten twice in a hundred years. Even lower half teams like Fairborn & West Carrollton give you a fight. That's nothing to be ashamed of. It's just a tougher schedule and tougher level of play.

Tipp will be right in there with Piqua, Vandalia, Xenia trying to Catch Troy. Troy could correct back down it seems a few notches with the loss of coaching. But they should always have the talent, and their community is growing. I saw their 8th grade play... yikes they look good. ( I KNOW THAT MEANS NOTHING. But its better than being awful in 8th). WC has potential to correct into the middle of that group. Somone please help Sidney, they should be in that group of middle teams.

For the first time in a long while, a lot of us in Greenville are looking positively at the future of football here. Time will tell, but I truly believe Schmitz has a good plan going forward.

Amazing. If Greenville and WC can start competing with a normal cycle, this will be a very great conference.

Tipp will be right in there with Piqua, Vandalia, Xenia trying to Catch Troy. Troy could correct back down it seems a few notches with the loss of coaching. But they should always have the talent, and their community is growing. I saw their 8th grade play... yikes they look good. ( I KNOW THAT MEANS NOTHING. But its better than being awful in 8th). WC has potential to correct into the middle of that group. Somone please help Sidney, they should be in that group of middle teams.

For this year & the near future, I place Troy and Xenia at the top by themselves. Both schools have the edge over the other schools in numbers and I believe both have the coaching. As for this season, with the exception of Stebbins, I believe any of the other seven teams could beat each other on any given day.

My thoughts on this years Troy team.. they are definitely a few notches back from what they’ve been recently. They are by default the best team in this conference in my opinion. It’s a good sign that Troy will more than likely finish the year 9-1 and be a playoff team Considering they really are just a slightly above average team. They don’t really have any star players. Siler is a solid qb and good play maker. Walters never even saw the field for 3 years and is finally getting time as a senior. I am not trying to knock Walters, he’s a good player, but on most Troy teams he’s a backup. They are also undisciplined which is uncharacteristic for a Troy team. I think Gress has done a nice job all things considered. Just like many schools, Troy relies on strong classes to be elite. They will always be solid in this conference, but every now and then they will have those special runs. Like Yakyak said, our middle school teams have a lot of talent. I guess all in all my point is that even on average years, it looks like Troy will continue to be a perennial playoff team. And I’m ok with that. It’s extremely hard to be able to compete year in and year out with the big boys like Lasalle, Hoban, Massillon etc. But all it takes is a special class.

Always been a believer in Black as a good defensive coach, he’s a guy that knows how to scheme. Having a QB emerge could really turn the teams moral around and possibly bring some talent to West Carrollton or pluck it out of the hallways. Good win for WC...piqua on the other hand. You’ve got to start wondering if you need to hang up more bed sheets around town. ?

It would be ignorant to try to say that Tipp has had the same talent level in their program the last 2-3 years compared to 5-15 years ago. Just look at what's on the field.

Yes, the competition stepped up without a doubt, but it was coupled with a drop in talent at Tipp as well.

It would be ignorant to try to say that Tipp has had the same talent level in their program the last 2-3 years compared to 5-15 years ago. Just look at what's on the field.

Yes, the competition stepped up without a doubt, but it was coupled with a drop in talent at Tipp as well.
Exactly, obviously the competition got better, but from 2009-2015 Tipp had the best talent they have ever had. There has been maybe 1-2 kids the last 2 Tipp teams that could play college ball. Between 2013 and 2015 Tipp had 5/7 guys each year who went on to play ball and not just at the D3 level. They had Jakob Hall, Jacob Prall, Zac Blair, Austin Clack, Alex Demers, Tyler Hunter, Cade Rogers, Jarret Watson, Cameron Johnson. All those guys came within 3 years of each other and are some of the best players Tipp has ever had. Since Tipp joined the GWOC, only Cade Rogers was on the team. They still had guys like Cole Barhorst, Josh Burrit and Matt Garber but they have no one like that now. Probably the biggest thing is that Tipp doesn’t have a solid QB like they did for 10-15 years and they don’t have a stud running back. At one point Tipp had multiple stud running backs every year. They don’t even have 1 this year

If Tipp had Zac Blair now with Matt’s offense they would be tearing throw the MVL. Obviously that’s not the case, but no one can deny that the talent level has severely dropped of the last 3 years

If Tipp had Zac Blair now with Matt’s offense they would be tearing throw the MVL. Obviously that’s not the case, but no one can deny that the talent level has severely dropped of the last 3 years

Eh, I wouldn't say they'd be tearing through the MVL, but they certainly would be much improved over what they are currently.

Sadly they ain’t going to finish strong. Lost two more starters in Xenia game. An already bad defense gets worse and Buckler the workhorse on offense is done so that is a huge blow. I agree that the future will be brighter than this year but they won’t win another game in 2019. Too much to overcome.

Sadly they ain’t going to finish strong. Lost two more starters in Xenia game. An already bad defense gets worse and Buckler the workhorse on offense is done so that is a huge blow. I agree that the future will be brighter than this year but they won’t win another game in 2019. Too much to overcome.
I was at the Xenia/Butler game and #24 looked really awkward coming down after his long catch. Looked awful. Is he okay? I'm assuming he broke something really bad. Is he a senior? Sure hope not. An awful way to have a career ended.

I didn't notice another bad injury besides #24 -- who else got dinged up?