YSU Football HC Replacing Pelini

What are the reasons that YSU has not been able to return to the dominance they enjoyed under Tressel? Have some recruiting pipelines dried up? Or is the talent evaluation/coaching that subpar?

1. Tressel hit Florida h.s. hard. Ditto California Jucos. Pelini hardly recruits there.

2 Tressel recruited Mahoning Valley well. The area no longer has the numbers of quality athletes they once had with falling populations and smaller school sizes.

3. Tressel thrived in recruiting and liked it. Pelini avoided it, hates it and handed it over to a young inexperienced staff.

4. Tressel also was successful getting good transfers. Pelini has had poor success.

5. Tressel was a salesman and liked. Pelini is well known as a hothead and a lot of players don’t like playing for him.

The Marrow/YSU rumor train is gaining steam and could already be affecting Kentucky’s recruiting. Most think KY is in the lead to get Drennen and Marrow is the key factor in that. No doubt Marrow, who got Lynn Bowden Jr to Kentucky, used Bowden’s success as an all-purpose player and his Doak Walker award to recruit Drennen; who also an AP player with similar size and qualities as Bowden.

Marrow is going nowhere. This is leverage for another raise of his $650k salary and his contract has a $300k buyout clause. YSU doesn’t have that kind of money and paid Pelini just $200k, lol.

Shane Montgomery remains a candidate. Also a former Tressel connection may be in the mix. And scratch Carl. YSU has had enough of the dreary Pelinis. lol

I do not care who YSU hires as long as the coach can get to the playoffs on a consistent basis. It is not fun watching 5 to 6 loss seasons at a program with so many titles in the past. Miss games at home on Thanksgiving weekend.

They are not going to hire a high school coach. People just speculating. It might be Hazzell in my opinion. Good way to rebuild image after Purdue failure. Problem is , if he is successful. He wont be here long either.

In contract extension negotiations last year, Pelini sought WRITTEN guarantees Carl would get the HC job when he left. YSU refused. Pelini took a pay cut in negotiations as well.

YSUs recruit talent has been falling since Pelini has been there. The last 2 classes overall are stinkers. Early recruits in Dec. used up most schollies leaving little for Feb. signings. Huge deficits at OL, RB, WR,LB and DB. Carl won’t get the job and YSU, other than their weenie early games gets their butts kicked in the MVFC again. Will take years for YSU to recover.
if true that speaks volumes to Bo’s character. Carl doesn’t deserve another HC job.

Gotta be a great recruiter...period.

As much as I disliked him, he did get us to a National Championship Game three years ago. It wasn’t all tears and sorrow.

If Carl Pelini gets this job I might be done with the program. I didn't like it when they hired his brother, and he had some success. I do think that at one time getting a coach like Moore or Tyrell could have happened at this level, but today, it's too much of a jump, especially because we play in the best conference in all of football. For the level, YSU's conference is pound for pound the best in the country. A high school coach who has more talent than the teams his teams play would not be successful. I like Morrow or Hazzell, but I'd like to see someone like a Tressel hired. We need a young coach who is on his way up. I know he will probably leave after a few years, but if he can get the tradition going, YSU could end up like a NDSU. It's amazing how that school keeps changing QB's and coaches, and it doesn't miss a beat.

I still think Terrell is still a possibility. First he is a Youngstown native (Ursuline grad), He played at YSU under JT and won 3 national championships, coached ends/tackles at YSU under JT for 10 years 1991-2001, went 13-1 in FLA before coming to Hoban and winning 4 state titles, Hoban nationally ranked 2015-2018. Proven winner as a player, HS coach and college assistant. Plus he is a Youngstown steel valley guy. Would not surprise me if he is a strong candidate.

Carl Pelinis reputation in coaching circles is going to prevent him from getting a head job anywhere. Everyone knows why he was let go in Florida and no one will take a chance on a repeat performance, least of all Tressel. Something like that would be the absolute last thing he would want to be associated with.

I think it would be great to get Montgomery or Hazzell. I don't know Mallory as well. No disrespect to Coach Tyrell at Hoban, but big jump from D2 High School to YSU. However, he does know the expectation maybe better than all of them...grew up there, played there, coached there, surrounds himself with good coaches.

Marrow is out. Makes $650k at UK.

Curt Mallory is the HC at Indiana St, a fellow member of the MVFC. Former player and assist at Mich. Assist.Coached at Illinois, Indiana, North Dakota St. among others. Dad was Bill Mallory , former HC at Miami, Ohio, Colorado and Northern Ill.

Last edited:
Curt Mallory would be a great choice. Great blood lines from dad Bill Mallory who was a winner with CLASS.

Mallory is out. Says he was flattered but no longer interested. Interviews were in Canton on Saturday near the airport where they could fly in candidates. Montgomery is iffy because of a losing record while HC at Miami (Oh). New dark horse may emerge.

Mallory knows the YSU roster and isn’t stupid. Probably a smart move on his part as it’s a lateral move for him at about the same money.

I still think Terrell is still a possibility. First he is a Youngstown native (Ursuline grad), He played at YSU under JT and won 3 national championships, coached ends/tackles at YSU under JT for 10 years 1991-2001, went 13-1 in FLA before coming to Hoban and winning 4 state titles, Hoban nationally ranked 2015-2018. Proven winner as a player, HS coach and college assistant. Plus he is a Youngstown steel valley guy. Would not surprise me if he is a strong candidate.

I think he could go to YSU but not as the head coach. YSU would not hire him and I think he understands that would be too big a jump for him. However, I would not be surprised if he had college aspirations, and, as a result, he made the move to Mahoning County as an assistant and began his attempt to work his way up the coaching ladder. Might not make it but he is young(ish) and has the time and ability to give it a try.

Sounds like back to square one....perhaps someone with Tressel or Kehres/Mount Union lineage?

Marcus Freeman - Defensive Coordinator at University of Cincy under Fickell. Played for Tressel. Might have his eyes set on bigger sights though.

How about some of the coaches on Matt Campbell's Iowa State staff? Many have Northeast Ohio roots.

I don't know if YSU could afford either of above scenarios though based on earlier posts.

Last edited:
One last possibility I'll throw out is Shawn Lutz (a Jackson HS Grad!) who has had a great run at Slippery Rock, not too far from Y-Town. Took SRU to semi-finals and was named NCAA D-II coach of the year this past year. I believe he's got 40 wins in 4 years as Head Coach at the Rock.

One last possibility I'll throw out is Shawn Lutz (a Jackson HS Grad!) who has had a great run at Slippery Rock, not too far from Y-Town. Took SRU to semi-finals and was named NCAA D-II coach of the year this past year. I believe he's got 40 wins in 4 years as Head Coach at the Rock.
That is interesting

Part of the problem now is the lateness of the opening which is problematic to hire a staff, do Spring FB, still have limited recruit time and give new staff time to move in. Then negotiations would focus on 3 year vs 5 year contract. Some coaches who know how bad YSU roster is will insist on 5 years to overcome the poor Pelini recruiting.YSU has typically been cheap issuing 3 year contract with an extension if successful. Deck is stacked against early success.

Montgomery still makes a lot of sense.

Don't really follow YSU, but Tony Annese at Ferris State would be a great candidate, IMO. Doesn't seem like he's getting a MAC job any time soon.

Love the insight... although I must say someone on here is simply regurgitating rumors being spewed on other forums and they are acting as though they have some insider sources.

Will be interesting to see what happens.