Wuhan Coronavirus epidemic spreads from China to US

This is ONLY true if you slow it down long enough for a treatment or vaccine to arrive or for the virus to naturally weaken. But if all you're doing is pushing it out a few months, and so far that's the best the mitigation has achieved, then the total # of people who die from covid19 will be about the same. One scenario just takes a couple of more months to reach.

And again you ignore the serious collateral damage any lock down will cause. Say you lock down until we get the vaccine. And say that takes a year. The # of deaths attributable to the lock down will be far greater then any increased deaths caused by reopening.

You seem oblivious to the pubic health calamity the recent shut down has been. Extending it would have been deeply irresponsible and potentially apocalyptic.
This is not just about lock downs and openings. It is about having a detailed understanding of where the infections are and to what level. This would allow a much more targeted approach to exactly how sever actions need to be and for how long. Are you oblivious to the fact we are going back into lockdown because of lack of accurate data? It is also about giving people accurate information so they can make personal decisions about their own activity. This half assed, uncoordinated, incomplete, and now non-existent Federal response has left everybody guessing and led to the show we are experiencing now. You are not even dumb enough to defend the the total punting of the problem we see now.

This is not just about lock downs and openings. It is about having a detailed understanding of where the infections are and to what level. This would allow a much more targeted approach to exactly how sever actions need to be and for how long. Are you oblivious to the fact we are going back into lockdown because of lack of accurate data? It is also about giving people accurate information so they can make personal decisions about their own activity. This half assed, uncoordinated, incomplete, and now non-existent Federal response has left everybody guessing and led to the show we are experiencing now. You are not even dumb enough to defend the the total punting of the problem we see now.

Have you not forgotten? Our 6-8 week shutdown from end of March until middle of May was to gain an understanding of the virus. It did not overwhelm our healthcare system. Hospitalizations and deaths are decreasing even as we have been opening up. Currently, the biggest group of people that are testing positive are 18-35 year olds. The prognosis for this group of people is 99.9% survival.

Have you not forgotten? Our 6-8 week shutdown from end of March until middle of May was to gain an understanding of the virus. It did not overwhelm our healthcare system. Hospitalizations and deaths are decreasing even as we have been opening up. Currently, the biggest group of people that are testing positive are 18-35 year olds. The prognosis for this group of people is 99.9% survival.
Man...you people don't get it. Because we had such horrible testing protocol, we did not have good data to determine what should lock down when and for how long. As such, there were states that waited to long and others who locked down unnecessarily. Now we have examples of the inverse. See Florida, Texas, Arizona. The lack of data and coordination is leading to the current situation where states are re-imposing or adding new restrictions. Undoubtedly, this pandemic will have a deeper and wider effect because it has been botched from the start and today, the Federal government is doing absolutely nothing to help. I will say they are threatening some action. They are threatening to strip federal testing funds to states and taking away healthcare to 20M Americans. We have that going for us.

Last edited:
Maybe this will put to rest the fake news narrative that Blue states did better then Red States in handling the covid outbreak:

1593612856294.png

That’s basically a rural vs urban comparison. It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next several months with southern states trending up.

Maybe this will put to rest the fake news narrative that Blue states did better then Red States in handling the covid outbreak:

View attachment 8096
A lot of this is due to age of the population and some other demographic risk factors. Red States had some advantages in watching/learning about the virus and being able to prep facilities (despite governors) Blue states obviously failed particularly around Senior Living and hosptial supply shortages in key urban areas. Also, southern states like Florida have some data issues in reporting....Let's see what this looks like in a few months...the trends in TX, FL and AZ are not looking favorable.

It’s a bit premature to calculate case to death conversion rates, but I would expect them to decline as testing is more widespread. However, the next couple months will show the true rate and the total death counts.

Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown

New research from Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital shows that many people with mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 demonstrate so-called T-cell-mediated immunity to the new coronavirus, even if they have not tested positively for antibodies. According to the researchers, this means that public immunity is probably higher than antibody tests suggest. The article is freely available on the bioRxiv server and has been submitted for publication in a scientific journal.

"T cells are a type of white blood cells that are specialized in recognizing virus-infected cells, and are an essential part of the immune system," says Marcus Buggert, assistant professor at the Center for Infectious Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and one of the paper's main authors. "Advanced analyses have now enabled us to map in detail the T-cell response during and after a COVID-19 infection. Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in."

Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown

There’s a theory that t-cell response is greater in younger people and the function declines as you age which may explain why the young have a much lower complication and death rate.

Can't read the article but I have been comparing our current society to Idiocracy for a couple of years. Of course, I'm sure my opinion differs from the author's opinion because it was printed in the Washington Post.

As a society, we seem to be devolving. Things like education and parents are unimportant because the media tells us so. The movie "Idiocracy" is an indictment against our progressive movement the last couple of decades. Ironic that the author surely paints it as a Republican problem.

Just a quick synopsis of what the movie was about:

Smart, wealthy people stop having babies for various reasons. Morons have many babies and keep pumping them out. It disrupts the balance of smart kids versus moron kids. We reach the tipping point where we have far too many morons and our society is ruined. Normal intelligence man and woman get put into suspended animation and wake up in 500 years as the smartest people on the planet.

Can't read the article but I have been comparing our current society to Idiocracy for a couple of years. Of course, I'm sure my opinion differs from the author's opinion because it was printed in the Washington Post.

As a society, we seem to be devolving. Things like education and parents are unimportant because the media tells us so. The movie "Idiocracy" is an indictment against our progressive movement the last couple of decades. Ironic that the author surely paints it as a Republican problem.

Smart, wealthy people stop having babies for various reasons. Morons have many babies and keep pumping them out. It disrupts the balance of smart kids versus moron kids. We reach the tipping point where we have far too many morons and our society is ruined. Normal intelligence man and woman get put into suspended animation and wake up in 500 years as the smartest people on the planet.

I saw Idiocracy on one of the pay stations a year or so after it came out a while ago and usually rewatch it when it is on. I never even heard of the movie when it was actually released. The left can try and paint the movie as an indictment of Trump or the right all they want. If you watch the movie it is absolutely an indictment of the left and progressivism.

I don't think the movie was prophetic, the writer of the movie was just observant as to where society was heading. The movie was released in 2007. Just one illustration from the movie, large corporations use improper grammar and profanities in their advertisements. Low and behold 10 years later or so I am watching TV with my young children (a kids show) and an advertisement from a large company comes on using the F word numerous times in an attempt at humor. The F word is bleeped after the f sound but your brain pretty much fills in the bleep as if you hear the word. I am far from a prude but the ad was juvenile and dumb. I have seen numerous ads since with similar profanity and/or intentionally atrocious grammar. Just one example of many from the movie of things that have come to pass with the dumbing down of our society.

The other thing on point from the movie was the blind following of so called "experts". Nobody in the Idiocracy world ever questioned what their "experts" told them. This to has come to pass for a large portion of our populous.

Last edited:
I saw Idiocracy on one of the pay stations a year or so after it came out a while ago and usually rewatch it when it is on. I never even heard of the movie when it was actually released. The left can try and paint the movie as an indictment of Trump or the right all they want. If you watch the movie it is absolutely an indictment of the left and progressivism.

I don't think the movie was prophetic, the writer of the movie was just observant as to where society was heading. The movie was released in 2007. Just one illustration from the movie, large corporations use improper grammar and profanities in their advertisements. Low and behold 10 years later or so I am watching TV with my young children (a kids show) and an advertisement from a large company comes on using the F word numerous times in an attempt at humor. The F word is bleeped after the f sound but your brain pretty much fills in the bleep as if you hear the word. I am far from a prude but the ad was juvenile and dumb. I have seen numerous ads since with similar profanity and/or intentionally atrocious grammar. Just one example of many from the movie of things that have come to pass with the dumbing down of our society.
Sounds like the majority of Harry's posts...

Speaking of Idiocracy...Trump again saying today he “hopes” the virus will disappear. I’m half convinced he’s throwing the game...pandemics and security briefs are hard.

Harry and most of the lefties on Yappi certainly fall into the Idiocracy world.
The columnist is a conservative . I'm not a leftist or even somewhat far left. Don't implicitly believe all experts , but if you can't see that too many people on one side pretty much not trusting them at all is a problem ,? I can't help you . The dumbing down of America has reached it's apex with the Trump presidency . For the conservative right and the Republican party { EC members} to be judging others in these terms ? Wow . I could pull up hundreds of previous posts that are just surreal . EC luminary's included, self professed geniuses . Summa ? Let me search some of your sheer brilliance . Lets just say you have some pretty big nads judging others . Your takes over the last few months? May be I'll be charitable.

The columnist is a conservative . I'm not a leftist or even somewhat far left. Don't implicitly believe all experts , but if you can't see that too many people on one side pretty much not trusting them at all is a problem ,? I can't help you . The dumbing down of America has reached it's apex with the Trump presidency . For the conservative right and the Republican party { EC members} to be judging others in these terms ? Wow . I could pull up hundreds of previous posts that are just surreal . EC luminary's included, self professed geniuses . Summa ? Let me search some of your sheer brilliance . Lets just say you have some pretty big nads judging others . Your takes over the last few months? May be I'll be charitable.

Do you think I cannot read what you post or copy and paste?

The rest of your post, as usually, is inconsistent, incoherent and nonsensical.

Do you think I cannot read what you post or copy and paste?

The rest of your post, as usually, is inconsistent, incoherent and nonsensical.
inconsistent ? . Hadn't heard that one before. I see tons of incredibly vapid poorly written { Inconsistent} posts from EC members, . Yet no one says a word . You takes are just WRONG a lot of the time . Flat wrong . You guys think you have it all figured out are always right and any dissenters are wrong ALL THE TIME 100 PERCENT. The irony ? I'm right a lot more than you are. AS USUALLY? Nice phrase . So what didn't make sense to you ? What was inconsistent ?

Bottom line is no on tells any other EC member that they screwed up a post or were wrong. So you all gang up on the few who aren't right wingers and will read every post looking to pounce. Goes with the territory. People have a problem with the content and the opposition to their ideas. When they only comment on the presentation and throw around some weak personal insults? I know they have no real reply or response refuting the post itself. Enjoy the holiday .

Last edited:
The dumbing down of America has reached it's apex with the Trump presidency .
Sadly, I totally disagree with this. We have alot of momentum headed in the wrong direction. The Mayor of Seattle is a good example of the dumbing down of America. There are far too many like her that just can't see what is really happening.

I've also said many times on here that Trump is the result of the changes in our society. He is a symptom of our dumbing down, not the cause. He would have never been President 20 years ago but the media and entertainment industry conditioned our country to accept his type of behavior. The irony is that he is using their boorish behavior to create changes that they disagree with. The MSM and entertainment industry have no one to blame but themselves. Every actor, singer, comedian or left leaning reporter complaining about Trump's behavior is essentially a hypocrite.

Sadly, I totally disagree with this. We have alot of momentum headed in the wrong direction. The Mayor of Seattle is a good example of the dumbing down of America. There are far too many like her that just can't see what is really happening.

I've also said many times on here that Trump is the result of the changes in our society. He is a symptom of our dumbing down, not the cause. He would have never been President 20 years ago but the media and entertainment industry conditioned our country to accept his type of behavior. The irony is that he is using their boorish behavior to create changes that they disagree with. The MSM and entertainment industry have no one to blame but themselves. Every actor, singer, comedian or left leaning reporter complaining about Trump's behavior is essentially a hypocrite.
I don’t think he is the cause either . I meant that electing a person so incompetent and I’ll suited for this job doesn’t reflect well on us . Entertainers aren’t leaders of the free world . Trump has has enablers who reflexively say what about “ and look the other way as we have this crisis of leadership . You get the leadership you deserve they say ., We are all complicit in what is happening now . Trump is President . He has failed and basically given up . He needs to go . That’s when the real work starts of rebuilding the damage . ( Trump not alone in the blame)

The personal behavior is not relevant , His performance doing this job is . His failure necessitates his removal . He isn’t the lesser of any evil here . Make fun of Biden all you want , but Trump has quit and can’t lead . He’s a well done s steak that he loves so
Much , and bleeding . ( he does love putting Ketchup on his well done steak )

Last edited:

Media does not say education and parents are unimportant. That is super stupid.

Still waiting for the apocalypse to hit Georgia!

The state of Georgia has reached a three-month low in its number of recorded coronavirus deaths, roughly two months after the state began to lift its lockdown restrictions amid sharp criticism that a too-hasty reopening would result in widespread fatalities.

The state's COVID-19 dashboard shows a seven-day running average of about 15.3 deaths per day as of June 15. The state's moving average has not been that low since March 28. (The posted average has continued to decline since June 15, though the state cautions that data within the last 14 days may be updated as more cases and deaths are reported.)

The average number of daily deaths in the state has been on a marked decline for over two months, since it peaked on April 22 at an average of 43 deaths a day.

Those low and continuously declining figures have defied earlier predictions that the state, which began reopening its economy on April 24, would soon see surging coronavirus numbers accompanied by a spiraling death rate.

Remember all the predictions of doom & gloom when Georgia was the first to reopen. Remember how the MSM carried on and then do yourself a favor and ignore their latest tirades about Texas & Florida.

I think this perfectly lays out the battle ground between two very different Americas:

Risk Tolerant America sees the rising number of Wuhan-infected and the declining number of daily deaths, and thinks, “We’re past the worst. Time to get back to work.”

Zero Risk America looks at those exact same facts and concludes it’s time for another lockdown.

Our problem as a nation is that our federalist system has become so centralized that there’s less and less elbow room for people of differing opinions. Two Americas, but increasingly one set of overly stringent rules.

Tens of millions Risk Tolerant Americans are being forced to live under Zero Risk rules whether we want to or not.

I don't want to live in their zero risk, chicken little world. I thought I would grow old and die in Ohio but the pandemic has made me look around the country. The ease with which the "Karens" can take away things you need or enjoy because of their fears is striking.

I think this perfectly lays out the battle ground between two very different Americas:

Risk Tolerant America sees the rising number of Wuhan-infected and the declining number of daily deaths, and thinks, “We’re past the worst. Time to get back to work.”

Zero Risk America looks at those exact same facts and concludes it’s time for another lockdown.

Our problem as a nation is that our federalist system has become so centralized that there’s less and less elbow room for people of differing opinions. Two Americas, but increasingly one set of overly stringent rules.

Tens of millions Risk Tolerant Americans are being forced to live under Zero Risk rules whether we want to or not.

I don't want to live in their zero risk, chicken little world. I thought I would grow old and die in Ohio but the pandemic has made me look around the country. The ease with which the "Karens" can take away things you need or enjoy because of their fears is striking.
Where are you looking

Where are you looking

I'm not telling you in case you want to follow me.

Seriously though I am looking. Now the odds are still low that I will leave as I like Ohio and love SWO. But the actions of my community, this region and the state have been eye opening to me. And the article on risk tolerant versus zero risk Americans struck a cord. I want to live among largely risk tolerant folks. I think that's a healthier community. Living in zero risk land is hell on earth IMO.