Would anyone step up to D1

I’d like Massillon to go back to D1 just for the opportunity to beat McK twice in a year. Granted there’s always the chance of them beating us 2x also which would be awful lol

Would teams have to declare their division prior to the season starting, or could this be done at any point before the playoffs begin?

I thought the article didn't mention football as one of the sports being voted on so why the discussion?

The article I read did not name football as one of the sports being considered.
There are three additional referendum items for the 2024 Ballot, one of which covers this option to change your team's assigned Division to Division 1.

ISSUE 1B – MODIFY BYLAW 2-1-1, CREATE EXCEPTION REQUESTING DIVISIONAL CHANGE
If passed, effective August 1, 2024.

2-1-1 School teams or individuals that wish to compete in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments may compete in only those tournaments to which assigned. Furthermore, by entering into an OHSAA sponsored tournament, schools, on behalf of their teams and individuals, agree to compete at the sites, dates and times assigned to them by the OHSAA. By entering into an OHSAA sponsored tournament, schools, on behalf of their teams and individuals, agree to compete at the sites, dates and times assigned to them by the OHSAA. Schools that enter into an OHSAA sponsored tournament shall compete in only the division to which they have been assigned for the applicable sport.

Note: In team sports, schools are permitted to enter only one team in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments. In individual sports, schools are only permitted to enter the maximum number of individuals in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments as prescribed in the respective sports’ playing rules and/or tournament regulations.

EXCEPTION: Schools may request an alternative divisional assignment to participate in the highest division of a respective sport on a sport-by-sport basis. Such a request must be submitted to the Executive Director’s Office no later than two weeks after the start of the sport’s season, as set forth in the sport specific regulations. Requests to participate in any division other than the highest division shall NOT be considered.

NOTE 1: Should a team utilize the aforementioned exception to change their divisional assignment to the highest division, there shall be no adjustments to any other school assignments within that or any other divisions."

NOTE 2: Any requests for reassignment in the sports of boys and girls bowling, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls golf, gymnastics, boys and girls swimming and diving, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls track and field and boys and girls wrestling (i.e. individual sports) shall result in the entire team moving up to the highest division, not just individual athletes.

COMMENTS:

1. The first proposed change within Bylaw 2-1-1 is editorial in nature.
I take this as referencing all the strikethrough text.​
2. The second proposed change would create a new exception and would allow teams to request to move up to the top division in a given sport.

It applies to ALL sports.
3. The proposed note 2 clarifies that if such a request is granted, no other schools will “bump down” or change divisions.

I think they meant "note 1" here, or the second part of Note 1.​
So Note 1 reads as they will assign teams to Division 1, so 72 in Football and 64 in the other sports affected by the recently approved expansion of divisions coming in Fall of 2024. Then, if any teams move up to D1 in those sports, no teams will move down from D1 to D2, and then down from D2 to D3, etc., so there is no ripple effect in the lower divisions.​
4. The second note specifies that any such approval will only be given for entire school teams, not just individual athletes.

Source: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows..../refvote/2024ReferendumIssues-FebApproved.pdf

With the expansion of playoffs in other sports, it looks like OHSAA is going to conduct a vote of members that would allow a school to opt into D1 only. I could see this happening in other sports, but would any school choose this for football.?
In Georgia, Buford was FORCED by the GHSA to play UP in 7A, from its previous 5A placement for the past decade, due to its 30% out of district enrollment. Before that, they were 1A-4A. But WHAT'S CHANGED? The same numbers of students (1100), but still the ability to get players from anywhere, inside their five county talent pool. A mere 2,000,000 plus.

You don't think the tigers have the testicular fortitude to move up?
I think as a collective agreement amongst the powers to be the answer would be no.
That being said, sure some fans and coaches may want it.
There would have to be some scenarios that pan out before it would be considered I would think.
———————————-
As I think about this more If suddenly the Tigers were assigned to D4. I would think it definitely would be considered. So maybe some teams in the lower divisions possibly would.

Last edited:
I think as a collective agreement amongst the powers to be the answer would be no.
That being said, sure some fans and coaches may want it.
There would have to be some scenarios that pan out before it would be considered I would think.
———————————-
As I think about this more If suddenly the Tigers were assigned to D4. I would think it definitely would be considered. So maybe some teams in the lower divisions possibly would.
I see no advantage for the Tigers moving up. They already play St ED, division 1 champs. Have beaten them two ears in a row. Would be a more challenging run in the playoffs for sure. Chances of more injuries would be my concern. Tigers should stand pat and play where they are assigned. The Last year was a special year, and cannot be expected every year. We already play div 1 schools, nothing to prove.

Hypothetical scenario: Massillon, Hoban, glenville, and Avon all opt into D1 and are thrown into R1. Who wants to be in that region? Lol

Also, you would have to change the way you schedule the regular season because 16 games is already a marathon so jumping up into a beefed up playoffs amplifies the battle of attrition.

Last year they were released for Football on May 3, the remainder of Fall sports was released on May 23, and Basketball divisions were announced on June 26.
It’s on their website, Fall and Winter sports divisions will be approved at the OHSAA April BoD meeting which occurs on April 25th.

I see no advantage for the Tigers moving up. They already play St ED, division 1 champs. Have beaten them two ears in a row. Would be a more challenging run in the playoffs for sure. Chances of more injuries would be my concern. Tigers should stand pat and play where they are assigned. The Last year was a special year, and cannot be expected every year. We already play div 1 schools, nothing to prove.
Sure that big school title that has alluded them for so long.

I think you’re correct there. There’s really no point in doing from my vantage point. The Tigers title in D2 was every bit as epic as it would have been in D1.
Right. Beating Hoban was probably more epic than beating Springfield who Ed’s has beaten like three times in a row. At this current time D2 is just as prestigious as D1 in Ohio

There are three additional referendum items for the 2024 Ballot, one of which covers this option to change your team's assigned Division to Division 1.

ISSUE 1B – MODIFY BYLAW 2-1-1, CREATE EXCEPTION REQUESTING DIVISIONAL CHANGE
If passed, effective August 1, 2024.

2-1-1 School teams or individuals that wish to compete in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments may compete in only those tournaments to which assigned. Furthermore, by entering into an OHSAA sponsored tournament, schools, on behalf of their teams and individuals, agree to compete at the sites, dates and times assigned to them by the OHSAA. By entering into an OHSAA sponsored tournament, schools, on behalf of their teams and individuals, agree to compete at the sites, dates and times assigned to them by the OHSAA. Schools that enter into an OHSAA sponsored tournament shall compete in only the division to which they have been assigned for the applicable sport.

Note: In team sports, schools are permitted to enter only one team in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments. In individual sports, schools are only permitted to enter the maximum number of individuals in OHSAA-sponsored tournaments as prescribed in the respective sports’ playing rules and/or tournament regulations.

EXCEPTION: Schools may request an alternative divisional assignment to participate in the highest division of a respective sport on a sport-by-sport basis. Such a request must be submitted to the Executive Director’s Office no later than two weeks after the start of the sport’s season, as set forth in the sport specific regulations. Requests to participate in any division other than the highest division shall NOT be considered.

NOTE 1: Should a team utilize the aforementioned exception to change their divisional assignment to the highest division, there shall be no adjustments to any other school assignments within that or any other divisions."

NOTE 2: Any requests for reassignment in the sports of boys and girls bowling, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls golf, gymnastics, boys and girls swimming and diving, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls track and field and boys and girls wrestling (i.e. individual sports) shall result in the entire team moving up to the highest division, not just individual athletes.

COMMENTS:

1. The first proposed change within Bylaw 2-1-1 is editorial in nature.
I take this as referencing all the strikethrough text.​
2. The second proposed change would create a new exception and would allow teams to request to move up to the top division in a given sport.

It applies to ALL sports.
3. The proposed note 2 clarifies that if such a request is granted, no other schools will “bump down” or change divisions.

I think they meant "note 1" here, or the second part of Note 1.​
So Note 1 reads as they will assign teams to Division 1, so 72 in Football and 64 in the other sports affected by the recently approved expansion of divisions coming in Fall of 2024. Then, if any teams move up to D1 in those sports, no teams will move down from D1 to D2, and then down from D2 to D3, etc., so there is no ripple effect in the lower divisions.​
4. The second note specifies that any such approval will only be given for entire school teams, not just individual athletes.

Source: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows..../refvote/2024ReferendumIssues-FebApproved.pdf

Just so I understand, the proposal would NOT allow small schools divisions to move up a division? Except only to D1? Lol.

How many boys away from D1 is Massillon.

Massillon combined enrollment with CB is 497 which is middle of the pack and > 100 away from D1.

Other notables: Winton Woods 581, Avon 572, Hoban 519, LaSalle 501.

(CB score only): Massillon 35, WW 54, Avon 0, Hoban 184, LaSalle 92, Walsh 115, Withrow 45, Fitch 21.