Would anyone step up to D1

I can only think of two programs that moving up to D1 would maybe make sense for them. Dont think this will be prevalent in football at all. A high level D2 has no reason to bump up

Just so I understand, the proposal would NOT allow small schools divisions to move up a division? Except only to D1? Lol.
I think it’s a sensible rule. I imagine they don’t want to see a D6 team to jump to D5 to avoid a Kirtland, for instance.

This would be a terrible idea. It'd force schools into a choice based upon how the first two results went, which depending on whatever is decided, could be very demoralizing. Needs to be before the season or nothing.
I would think the decision at least internally would be made before the season. You would have to take scheduling into account as well…If Massillon was planning on bumping up they should immediately take St Ed off the schedule. Would say the same for Hoban and Glenville as well. The regular season would become about trying to stay healthy for the 6 game playoff run (it kind of already is but it would be even more amplified)

Yeah this is dumb lol

Maybe Marion Local will opt into D1

They (OHSAA) are such small division shills, Lol.

Why on earth should Massillon, Avon, WW, be asked or expected to consider moving up a division and not teams that dominate their divisions with numerous consecutive state titles??? Smh.

Now if the offer was only extended to private schools I could at least understand the logic, though I would not agree with that either. If you are going to do it then extend the offer to ALL. To bump up to any division.

I think it’s a sensible rule. I imagine they don’t want to see a D6 team to jump to D5 to avoid a Kirtland, for instance.
Idk I think it would all even out. ML would probably opt up a division or two, same with Kirtland, Gville would definitely opt up a few divisions, etc etc

They (OHSAA) are such small division shills, Lol.

Why on earth should Massillon, Avon, WW, be asked or expected to consider moving up a division and not teams that dominate their divisions with numerous consecutive state titles??? Smh.

Now if the offer was only extended to private schools I could at least understand the logic, though I would not agree with that either. If you are going to do it then extend the offer to ALL. To bump up to any division.
Yeah it seems like it’s aimed at a handful of schools and takes away the opportunity for the other 99% of schools to opt up a division

Faulty logic imo. If every other halfway decent D6 & D7 were to bump up to avoid Kirtland and/or ML, then Kirtland and/or ML can be left free to explain why they refuse to. D4 "should" be stronger than D5 should be stronger than D6 should be stronger than D7. Bumping up to make life easier is an admission that the concept behind divisional alignments esp. at the lower divisions is a joke.

Faulty logic imo. If every other halfway decent D6 & D7 were to bump up to avoid Kirtland and/or ML, then Kirtland and/or ML can be left free to explain why they refuse to. D4 "should" be stronger than D5 should be stronger than D6 should be stronger than D7. Bumping up to make life easier is an admission that the concept behind divisional alignments esp. at the lower divisions is a joke.
Also if teams are bumping out of 6 and 7 to make life easier then you already have too many divisions

Sure, that’s why they made D1 into a mini-division. Cause they’re shills for the small schools 😂

You can’t compare the enrollment gap that existed in order to keep an even # in each division. You wouldn’t know anything about facing a school > double your enrollment.

The bigger point is why extend the offer to Avon looking for their first, but not the most dominant programs in their division in Ohio history??? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Honestly I like the idea. There are some mid-size schools that can punch up in class and would do well. If WW can be more competitive vs Springfield than Beavercreek then why squabble?

I think Coach Ginn would move especially with how his pipeline is currently looking. Great question btw.
I disagree, in what is being proposed by posters here: playing Ed's, Iggy(once their program stabilizes), Massillon, Hoban, Pick Central(or whomever comes out of columbus) and finally a team like Moeller in consecutive weeks is a damn near impossible feat for the Tarblooders(or any smaller public school).

I disagree, in what is being proposed by posters here: playing Ed's, Iggy(once their program stabilizes), Massillon, Hoban, Pick Central(or whomever comes out of columbus) and finally a team like Moeller in consecutive weeks is a damn near impossible feat for the Tarblooders(or any smaller public school).
Bingo. The schools mentioned in moving up can all knock off anyone in D1 no doubt but it’s about the depth to withstand a 6 game playoff where you’ll likely be playing top tier teams for 4 or 5 consecutive weeks. That’s if you made it through the 10 week regular season healthy.

They did it when they were in D1 way back. Obviously they didn’t win it all but they beat all of the powerhouses in the postseason. I’m not suggesting it would be a cakewalk or even we’d win but we went toe to toe with them in the 2000’s and it would be a great challenge for us to climb that mountain again. To your point of Glenville being a smaller public while true probably isn’t great context re: our football program. I think the scenario you decsribe above would be a great challenge for any of the schools you mentioned.

Bingo. The schools mentioned in moving up can all knock off anyone in D1 no doubt but it’s about the depth to withstand a 6 game playoff where you’ll likely be playing top tier teams for 4 or 5 consecutive weeks. That’s if you made it through the 10 week regular season healthy.
Very good point. Weeks 13-16 would be BRUTAL. Possible week 12 would be a tough one as well.

Massillon combined enrollment with CB is 497 which is middle of the pack and > 100 away from D1.

Other notables: Winton Woods 581, Avon 572, Hoban 519, LaSalle 501.

(CB score only): Massillon 35, WW 54, Avon 0, Hoban 184, LaSalle 92, Walsh 115, Withrow 45, Fitch 21.
The Tigers are exactly where they should be. Even though the program has reached D1 elite status their enrollment isnt even close to D1

Last edited:
Very good point. Weeks 13-16 would be BRUTAL. Possible week 12 would be a tough one as well.

Why not first allow the opportunity to bump up to D3, or D2? The only choice is D1??? That’s what gets me.

Glenville would probably be the only team below D2 who “might” consider that. Possible exception D3 TCC but they've already been a fixture in D2 in recent years minus this past one.

The Tigers are exactly where they should be. Even though the program has reached D1 elite status their enrollment isnt even close to D1

Let’s at least see what Hoban and TCC wants to do, before contemplating which publics move up. I mean, that would be kinda stupid if Massillon Avon WW move up and they don’t.

Why not first allow the opportunity to bump up to D3, or D2? The only choice is D1??? That’s what gets me.

Glenville would probably be the only team below D2 who “might” consider that. Possible exception D3 TCC but they've already been a fixture in D2 in recent years minus this past one.
Agreed, the all or nothing approach is interesting. I could see the two you metioned and a handful of D2 teams petitioning to move up to D1.

I am thinking this option could be requested by a small few in football but will be more utilized in the sports that just changed to 5 (soccer) or 7 (volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball) divisions for 2024-25.

In these sports, many of the perpetual contenders in D1 are moving down to D2 and D3 and might want to stay in the D1 tournaments. For example, using this season's CB numbers, in volleyball many of the private all-girls schools that dominated D1 are now D2, and there is only one non-public (Cleveland St. Joseph Academy) remaining in the top 64.

In another sport, think of Hoover in softball, who looks to be moving to D2 in 2024 along with three of last year's final four. Since they have shown the ability to compete and win at the D1 level, they could request a move up.

So, I see it being used by any current D1 that falls in the middle-to-low adjusted enrollments that has shown the ability to compete and win in D1.

I am thinking this option could be requested by a small few in football but will be more utilized in the sports that just changed to 5 (soccer) or 7 (volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball) divisions for 2024-25.

In these sports, many of the perpetual contenders in D1 are moving down to D2 and D3 and might want to stay in the D1 tournaments. For example, using this season's CB numbers, in volleyball many of the private all-girls schools that dominated D1 are now D2, and there is only one non-public (Cleveland St. Joseph Academy) remaining in the top 64.

In another sport, think of Hoover in softball, who looks to be moving to D2 in 2024 along with three of last year's final four. Since they have shown the ability to compete and win at the D1 level, they could request a move up.

So, I see it being used by any current D1 that falls in the middle-to-low adjusted enrollments that has shown the ability to compete and win in D1.
This is what Im thinking too. I dont think they expect anybody in football to do this but you have Richmond Heights all the way in 6 for basketball. Thats who this is for in my opinion

Exactly. The first thing thing that stood out to me for the Avon game was how many more bodies they had.

Exactly. The first thing thing that stood out to me for the Avon game was how many more bodies they had.
I think it was more Dee having 7 carries and us not being prepared for the onside kick. We beat them the previous year with similar depth. But I could be wrong. How many more did they dress that night?

I think it was more Dee having 7 carries and us not being prepared for the onside kick. We beat them the previous year with similar depth. But I could be wrong. How many more did they dress that night?
7 carries was crazy and I still dont know why they thought elder was gonna kick deep from the 50 with two OSU commits back there. Sigh. It was a W in 2022 but thats an one game type deal. The depth will just be a massive hill to climb in the playoffs week after week especially if you have key injuries like Bryce. After week 12 you would see a huge disparity in sheer bodies. But I just took a look at region 2 (seeing as they are region 14 right now) and said F it lol

7 carries was crazy and I still dont know why they thought elder was gonna kick deep from the 50 with two OSU commits back there. Sigh. It was a W in 2022 but thats a one game type deal. The depth will just be a massive hill to climb in the playoffs week after week especially if you have key injuries like Bryce. After week 12 you would see a huge disparity in sheer bodies. But I just took a look at region 2 (seeing as they are region 14 right now) and said F it lol

Let’s not lose sight of the fact he didn’t do much with the seven carries. He had a hard time getting anywhere that night without getting quickly stopped. The player that wasn’t utilized enough, IMO, was Witten. He was a mismatch for any defense.