Would anyone step up to D1

My thought on this is that St Ed winning three in a row over the same team and all by double digits hurts the prestige of D1 somewhat. No slight to the accomplishment by St Ed but the prestige of D1 was that it was the deepest division and had a bunch of great teams…that hasn’t shown through as of late
I see what you mean by that. I think some public programs needs to take more of a hands on approach when it comes to development and retention at the youth level. But that is another conversation.

In Georgia, Buford was FORCED by the GHSA to play UP in 7A, from its previous 5A placement for the past decade, due to its 30% out of district enrollment. Before that, they were 1A-4A. But WHAT'S CHANGED? The same numbers of students (1100), but still the ability to get players from anywhere, inside their five county talent pool. A mere 2,000,000 plus.

No one here CARES

If you want to profess that your team is the “best team” in Ohio then you need to man up and go play with the big boys in D1. The winner of D1 can pound their chest and say that they are the best team in Ohio. What happens in the regular season (who beats who) does not matter.
This would mean more if it DIDN'T come from the fan of a school who tucked tail and ran from 2 schools.

I love Ohio hs football, but let’s be real. Not much is even talked about from D3-Dwhatever. It’s D1 & D2. The lower divisions can have a few above average players and change a team dynamic. The upper division difference is talent and speed. Nobody outside the small school really cares. Once in a while you’ll have a good D3 team that should be D2 win over several years to gain 1/20th of the chatter of an upper division. I hate to say it, but the lower guys play football in a phone booth running the ball. I kind of compare it to women’s basketball. There might be some good teams, but you watch the guys more because it’s just …better.

The question is..once you move up, can you go back down next year after your usual 12-4 team is now 4-7 getting their teeth kicked in? We may see some more lopsided D1 scores in the playoffs. I honestly don’t see teams moving up

I just hope you guys realize that being able to beat your chest to say youre the best team in the state isnt a real reason to move up. The only reason to move up is if you have nothing to prove in the division youre already in. That doesnt apply to a single D2 powerhouse. 3 programs fit this criteria and one of them is Marion Local lol

I love Ohio hs football, but let’s be real. Not much is even talked about from D3-Dwhatever. It’s D1 & D2. The lower divisions can have a few above average players and change a team dynamic. The upper division difference is talent and speed. Nobody outside the small school really cares. Once in a while you’ll have a good D3 team that should be D2 win over several years to gain 1/20th of the chatter of an upper division. I hate to say it, but the lower guys play football in a phone booth running the ball. I kind of compare it to women’s basketball. There might be some good teams, but you watch the guys more because it’s just …better.
Actually, in west central Ohio, D1 and D2 rarely get mentioned at all.

Not sure about football but I can see a number of teams for girls volleyball requesting to get moved up to D1. The way this thing got set up it pretty much put almost all of the private schools in D2, D3, and D4 and I think we will see most of the schools that got moved to D2 and D3 ask to get moved up to D1.

Said it before and I’ll say it again…

1. Divisions are based on enrollment. Not how good you are.

2. In high school football, culture is more important than numbers.

From what I gather (not just on Yappi), Massillon is in the process of building (what will likely be) one of the toughest regular schedules in the entire country. They might be the only school in the state willing to move up to D1 and even then, why would they? No Cincinnati-area D2 is gonna opt to deal with the top of the GCL in the postseason.

With the traditional parity in D2, is the OHSAA implementing this policy to replace the strong presence that programs like Iggy, Colerain, Mentor, etc. used to have in D1?

Said it before and I’ll say it again…

1. Divisions are based on enrollment. Not how good you are.

2. In high school football, culture is more important than numbers.

From what I gather (not just on Yappi), Massillon is in the process of building (what will likely be) one of the toughest regular schedules in the entire country. They might be the only school in the state willing to move up to D1 and even then, why would they? No Cincinnati-area D2 is gonna opt to deal with the top of the GCL in the postseason.

With the traditional parity in D2, is the OHSAA implementing this policy to replace the strong presence that programs like Iggy, Colerain, Mentor, etc. used to have in D1?
It's not entirely clear that football was the driving force behind the proposal. If passed, I imagine we see it happen more often in other OHSAA-sponsored sports.

It's not entirely clear that football was the driving force behind the proposal. If passed, I imagine we see it happen more often in other OHSAA-sponsored sports.

True, but with as money-hungry as the OHSAA is getting, I imagine that this is another attempt to make a few dollars. What better way to do that than push for a potential Massillon-X D1 state title game? Especially since they’ll only lie about the attendance like they did with Massillon-Hoban?

Meanwhile, isn’t this proposal only to jump up one division to D1? Or is the OHSAA trying to entice Richmond Heights’ boys basketball team to try D1? Even then, it still only targets a small group of schools.

You’re welcome to come and play at Green Street stadium anytime you want. Look for Hoban to be on the schedule in 2025.
You better check with your coach and AD before writing these checks that someone else is gonna have to cash. You tucked tail and ran....FACT. I'd suggest standing in the center of the ring exchanging punches yourself before worrying about what Massillon is going to do.

True, but with as money-hungry as the OHSAA is getting, I imagine that this is another attempt to make a few dollars. What better way to do that than push for a potential Massillon-X D1 state title game? Especially since they’ll only lie about the attendance like they did with Massillon-Hoban?

Meanwhile, isn’t this proposal only to jump up one division to D1? Or is the OHSAA trying to entice Richmond Heights’ boys basketball team to try D1? Even then, it still only targets a small group of schools.

It only applies to D1. I agree with EaglePride01, it more applicable to a few programs in others sports who are consistently ranked higher than the TOP D1 powers in their sport. You don't really see that in football but on rare occasion. Massillon this year had just an unbelievable year but it's not like they run-clocked Hoban it was tooth and nail to say the least.

It only applies to D1. I agree with EaglePride01, it more applicable to a few programs in others sports who are consistently ranked higher than the TOP D1 powers in their sport. You don't really see that in football but on rare occasion. Massillon this year had just an unbelievable year but it's not like they run-clocked Hoban it was tooth and nail to say the least.

As I've pointed out, from a competition standpoint, playing Hoban is no different than playing Eds. In fact, an Eds-Massillon-TCC-Glenville tournament would be very interesting.

For well over a decade now, I've argued on here that the football best teams aren't always in Division I.

As I've pointed out, from a competition standpoint, playing Hoban is no different than playing Eds. In fact, an Eds-Massillon-TCC-Glenville tournament would be very interesting.

For well over a decade now, I've argued on here that the football best teams aren't always in Division I.

Ditto other divisions. No doubt a Kirtland or a ML or a Mooney or Ursuline (among many others) have been better than a division or 2 above them in a given year.

Ditto other divisions. No doubt a Kirtland or a ML or a Mooney or Ursuline (among many others) have been better than a division or 2 above them in a given year.

Nobody will ever convince me that Mooney's '06 & '09 squads wouldn't have beaten Hilliard Davidson. Those Cardinal squads back then were different! Fans from all over tried to argue against that point with me until La Salle came around in 2014.

You better check with your coach and AD before writing these checks that someone else is gonna have to cash. You tucked tail and ran....FACT. I'd suggest standing in the center of the ring exchanging punches yourself before worrying about what Massillon is going to do.
lol….as always you bring the Irish into the conversation.

Rent free as they call it.

Love it…..and thanks for the respect for our program and the championship history that we have

The Tigers are exactly where they should be. Even though the program has reached D1 elite status their enrollment isnt even close to D1
There’s much more to success than pure enrollment count. Hence the reason Massillon beat St. Ed’s last year. The flaw in OHSAA thinking is that school size is the ultimate factor, it isn’t. If it were Mentor and Hamilton and other large public schools would have multiple titles, they have none. OHSAA should look at factors such as poverty index, tradition in last five years etc.

There’s much more to success than pure enrollment count. Hence the reason Massillon beat St. Ed’s last year. The flaw in OHSAA thinking is that school size is the ultimate factor, it isn’t. If it were Mentor and Hamilton and other large public schools would have multiple titles, they have none. OHSAA should look at factors such as poverty index, tradition in last five years etc.
I agree with that. I think a five year look back coupled with enrollment would make some sense. If you start tinkering around with poverty ect, that may have some unintended consequences.

The question is..once you move up, can you go back down next year after your usual 12-4 team is now 4-7 getting their teeth kicked in? We may see some more lopsided D1 scores in the playoffs. I honestly don’t see teams moving up
Wouldn't your usual 12-4 team become a 7-4 team? They would still be playing their usual regular season schedule going 7-3 , now instead of winning several playoff games they would bow out first round and be ready for basketball early.

I agree with this 100%.

Poverty index? So glenville, Springfield, and McKinley go to a lower division and suburban schools that suck get bumped up because they have money?

Poverty index? So glenville, Springfield, and McKinley go to a lower division and suburban schools that suck get bumped up because they have money?
I was like WTF?!?! 🤣 soooo much poverty in and around our program. I just hope no one takes a look at our parking lot during practice or sees how our kids dress, we like the poverty angle better LMAOOO. But I get their point, we have 250 boys and have more talent than St. Ignatius which has 1,100 boys. Same goes for you guys, Hoban, TCC, etc.

I was like WTF?!?! 🤣 soooo much poverty in and around our program. I just hope no one takes a look at our parking lot during practice or sees how our kids dress, we like the poverty angle better LMAOOO. But I get their point, we have 250 boys and have more talent than St. Ignatius which has 1,100 boys. Same goes for you guys, Hoban, TCC, etc.
Iggy has a few kids with Ohio St offers so let’s not act like they’re the Little Sisters of the Poor 😂

Iggy has a few kids with Ohio St offers so let’s not act like they’re the Little Sisters of the Poor 😂
For sure they do. I simply stated we have more talent overall, which I’m assuming you would agree with or maybe you don’t lol. They have a few really good players but their overall talent isn’t close to ours. But… They’re 2026 class is pretty strong and selfishly I’m hoping #11 Colwell wins the starting RB spot, coached him when he was younger. His speed/toughness combo and work ethic is OFF OF THE CHARTS.

For sure they do. I simply stated we have more talent overall, which I’m assuming you would agree with or maybe you don’t lol. They have a few really good players but their overall talent isn’t close to ours. But… They’re 2026 class is pretty strong and selfishly I’m hoping #11 Colwell wins the starting RB spot, coached him when he was younger. His speed/toughness combo and work ethic is OFF OF THE CHARTS.

Enjoy it while it lasts my friend. Saint Ignatius won 7 D1 titles in 8 years. Most can't even dream of that. At the time I HATED them!!! We cool now. ;) Seriously though they could turn that spigot on again if/when they choose. Jmo.

As for Glenville I sure hope you get to show all that talent off in D3 at least. I love good football.

Enjoy it while it lasts my friend. Saint Ignatius won 7 D1 titles in 8 years. Most can't even dream of that. At the time I HATED them!!! We cool now. ;) Seriously though they could turn that spigot on again if/when they choose. Jmo.

As for Glenville I sure hope you get to show all that talent off in D3 at least. I love good football.
Re: St. Ignatius, I don’t think they’ll ever get to the level they were at previously for a few reasons. The rise of Hoban and St. Edward to elite status and kids more willing to stay at their local public. Back in the day kids from Geauga, Lake, Lorain and Medina counties wouldn’t think twice about going to St. Ignatius. Avon, Medina, Highland, Aurora, Chardon, Avon Lake, etc. are benefitting from kids staying “home”. Re: us showing off our talent in at least D3, I’m not sure how much I care about that. We intentionally schedule the toughest non-conference in the state, 2024 were playing D1 champs, a D1 regional finalist, D2 runner up, D2 state semi-finalist and we’ve attempted to get the D2 champs on the schedule in ‘23 and ‘24 unfortunately schedules didn’t align for that one. Our weakest non-conf opponent is D1 Liberty that lost to D1 regional finalist Coffman. All that to say it would be cool to be back in D1 and hopefully win it but our priority is sending kids to school and thank God neither the Senate nor dropping divisions have stopped the colleges from recruiting out kids. I’ll be honest, I was worried about that when we were deciding on his high school.