Woman Raped on train as bystanders did nothing, police say

hubman

UPPER DARBY, Pa. -- A woman was raped by a stranger on a commuter train in suburban Philadelphia in the presence of other riders who a police official said “should have done something."

Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt of the Upper Darby Police Department said officers were called to the 69th Street terminal around 10 p.m. Wednesday after the assault on the westbound train on the Market-Frankford Line.

I actually posted to see if there would be differences in how people would say they would have responded had they been one of the witnesses on the train. The police say they are shocked no one intervened, and only called 911.

I actually posted to see if there would be differences in how people would say they would have responded had they been one of the witnesses on the train. The police say they are shocked no one intervened, and only called 911.
I would have pulled my .357 and shot the guy

According to the article, no one on the train called 911, it was someone outside of the train who apparently observed what was going on who called 911.

Is this a frog in water situation? Are people who live in these concentrated populations so desensitized to crime that they fail to protect the one who is under attack? Like when a mob breaks into a business and everyone just watches as the poor owner sees their life work destroyed and instead of calling police they satisfy some internal twisted desire and actually join the initial perpetrators in support of the vile act on humanity.

What should the other riders have done? Seems like a 911 call would have been the least a human being would do for another if they would picture the victim as a person worothy of human decency. Should they be expected to physically intervene? Place themselves in potential jeperady ? Perhaps they were friends of the assailant and were getting off on the experience? Or they were on the train because they were too Incapacitated from mind altering drugs and "did not notice" the attack?

If it was my daughter or close female to me and I observed such an attack there would be a coroner needed for one of us at the next stop.

My bet is the 10 fellow travelers with her did not know her, or they would have protected her. If it turns out they were with him, and were getting off on the attack should they be held as co defendants to rape?

"The entire episode was captured on surveillance video ". Who is monitoring the video or is the video just for after the fact?

Sad to think people would stand by and let someone be assaulted, but it happens constantly in this country. I’m always strapped and in Ohio this scenario would be dicey to just off the guy. If you blow him away they may charge you.

Sad to think people would stand by and let someone be assaulted, but it happens constantly in this country. I’m always strapped and in Ohio this scenario would be dicey to just off the guy. If you blow him away they may charge you.
I agree . If I new the victim and was certain of the circumstances I would be motivated to use physical force. I am not likely to insert myself (no pun intended) into the situation other than to call for help if I do not know the victim or the circumstances around the assault.

They are currently working to pass a new Ohio law that will remove the spousal exemption from rape. Currently there is no spousal rape for a man to force himself on his wife so long as he does not leave physical marks on her signaling a level of abuse. That is about to change and men will need to get verifiable permission from their spouses before engaging in sex with them or risk potential rape charges once the spousal exemption is removed.

House bill 121 would make it possible for a spouse who later decided she didn't like her husbands way of coercing her into bed to be able to seek a charge of rape.

UPPER DARBY, Pa. -- A woman was raped by a stranger on a commuter train in suburban Philadelphia in the presence of other riders who a police official said “should have done something."

Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt of the Upper Darby Police Department said officers were called to the 69th Street terminal around 10 p.m. Wednesday after the assault on the westbound train on the Market-Frankford Line.

This is the great society that leftists have created. American belief in God We Trust and all moral/values associated with Christianity have been abolished.
In God We Trust should be removed from all money and everything else.
Thanks leftists!

if after a perp tears a woman cloths off in a public train if font of people and them processed to rape her.. yea Im 99.9% sure if you shot a perp for this you would walk. im not 100% because our culture has lost its mind thus the raping in public with no help.

if after a perp tears a woman cloths off in a public train if font of people and them processed to rape her.. yea Im 99.9% sure if you shot a perp for this you would walk. im not 100% because our culture has lost its mind thus the raping in public with no help.
Under New York law, if it can be reasonably determined that the perpetrator's committing deadly physical force was imminent, a third party would be justified in using deadly physical force themselves to defend the victim.

"The entire episode was captured on surveillance video ". Who is monitoring the video or is the video just for after the fact?
Surveillance video is almost entirely after the fact. The only exception I can think of is the unauthorized access to a property during normal work hours (like a large office building or government building with someone trying to enter a back door, for example).

This is what Boondock Saints was talking about.

How many of you have been third party to a situation with strangers where you weren't involved, but had the ability to step in? It could be strangers in the middle of committing a crime, or it could be something with lower stakes, like a parent at a little league game verbally abusing a referee. What did you do? Did you step in?

This is what Boondock Saints was talking about.

How many of you have been third party to a situation with strangers where you weren't involved, but had the ability to step in? It could be strangers in the middle of committing a crime, or it could be something with lower stakes, like a parent at a little league game verbally abusing a referee. What did you do? Did you step in?
Yeah, stepping in at a little league game is completely comparable to this scenario. Dope....I'm sure you'd pull your mask up over your eyes.

Yeah, stepping in at a little league game is completely comparable to this scenario. Dope....I'm sure you'd pull your mask up over your eyes.
I didn't say it was comparable. I even said so when I said the little league example is lower stakes.

The point, which with you in particular seems to always sail over your head, is that lots of people will say, from behind a computer screen, that "Yes, I would have done something."

But I've seen plenty of videos of public freakouts with varying levels of severity where bystanders do nothing. Not even a "hey man, that's not cool" to a parent berating a referee.

According to the article, no one on the train called 911, it was someone outside of the train who apparently observed what was going on who called 911.

Is this a frog in water situation? Are people who live in these concentrated populations so desensitized to crime that they fail to protect the one who is under attack? Like when a mob breaks into a business and everyone just watches as the poor owner sees their life work destroyed and instead of calling police they satisfy some internal twisted desire and actually join the initial perpetrators in support of the vile act on humanity.

What should the other riders have done? Seems like a 911 call would have been the least a human being would do for another if they would picture the victim as a person worothy of human decency. Should they be expected to physically intervene? Place themselves in potential jeperady ? Perhaps they were friends of the assailant and were getting off on the experience? Or they were on the train because they were too Incapacitated from mind altering drugs and "did not notice" the attack?

If it was my daughter or close female to me and I observed such an attack there would be a coroner needed for one of us at the next stop.

My bet is the 10 fellow travelers with her did not know her, or they would have protected her. If it turns out they were with him, and were getting off on the attack should they be held as co defendants to rape?
The same people on the train not doing something are probably the same people who contribute bond funds to free law breakers. Our society has taken huge backward steps in recent years and the Progressive movement is part of the problem.

I didn't say it was comparable. I even said so when I said the little league example is lower stakes.

The point, which with you in particular seems to always sail over your head, is that lots of people will say, from behind a computer screen, that "Yes, I would have done something."

But I've seen plenty of videos of public freakouts with varying levels of severity where bystanders do nothing. Not even a "hey man, that's not cool" to a parent berating a referee.
Yeah, just a really stupid example, but on brand for you. Funny you think things you say sail over my head, rather than you're just not as smart as you think you are. Self awareness seems to elude you, but cool story of all the videos you've seen. But keep flailing, it's entertaining.

Yeah, just a really stupid example, but on brand for you. Funny you think things you say sail over my head, rather than you're just not as smart as you think you are. Self awareness seems to elude you, but cool story of all the videos you've seen. But keep flailing, it's entertaining.
Instead of taking things personally, you could explain why, or you could answer my initial question.