Wizards announcer apologizes to Kevin Porter Jr. for mistaken allusion to player's dead father

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
A Washington Wizards announcer apologized for a questionable reference to Kevin Porter Jr.'s dead father, who was killed in a shooting, after the Houston Rockets guard hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer Wednesday against Washington.

"You've got to give credit. Kevin Porter Jr., like his dad, pulled that trigger right at the right time," Wizards broadcaster Glenn Consor said on-air after Porter's shot gave Washington a 114-111 win.

In social media posts, Consor apologized, saying he mistook Porter Jr. for the son of former NBA player Kevin Porter, who played for the Washington franchise in the 1970s and 1980s.

It seems like an honest mistake. I'm sure a large number of people thought that Tim Hardaway, Isaiah Thomas, Glen Rice, Larry Nance, and Kevin Porter were sons of famous basketball players from the past. Some were, some weren't. Since Kevin Porter played in Washington for a decade, it's not really a shock that a Washington announcer would think Kevin Porter Jr was his son.

Interesting response by two NBA players:

LeBron James: "Oh he thought this was cool huh!!?? Nah we ain’t going for this! Sorry but this ain’t going to fly! How insensitive can you be to say something like this. Beat it man! I pray for you but there’s no place in our beautiful game for you!"

Kevin Love: "Healthy discussion to be had here…Context is everything. I know Glenn is well respected within the League. Our blink reaction as players is/was to protect one of our own."

Congrats to Love for being more level headed.

The more LeBron talks, the worse it gets for him. He doesn't have anyone around him to rein him in. He's so jaded by his brand. Sad part is he doesn't even realize his entire wealth is based of white billionaires and fans who love basketball. I'll say this now, LeBron will be loathed as he ages. He has very little class and gratitude for anything he's ever got before. Such a bitter person.

LeBron really should get off Twitter. I normally defend him, but he does way more harm than good with his tweets.

It seems like an honest mistake. I'm sure a large number of people thought that Tim Hardaway, Isaiah Thomas, Glen Rice, Larry Nance, and Kevin Porter were sons of famous basketball players from the past. Some were, some weren't. Since Kevin Porter played in Washington for a decade, it's not really a shock that a Washington announcer would think Kevin Porter Jr was his son.

Interesting response by two NBA players:

LeBron James: "Oh he thought this was cool huh!!?? Nah we ain’t going for this! Sorry but this ain’t going to fly! How insensitive can you be to say something like this. Beat it man! I pray for you but there’s no place in our beautiful game for you!"

Kevin Love: "Healthy discussion to be had here…Context is everything. I know Glenn is well respected within the League. Our blink reaction as players is/was to protect one of our own."

Congrats to Love for being more level headed.
Love is no angry hood rat, that's for sure.