Winton Woods v Kings

Oh I agree we should've beat KINGS but saying he walked into a "great" situation is really not true. He is trying to transition a running team into a passing team. They are trying to teach an entire system that is foreign to these kids. For instance the blocking scheme is totally different. Kids aren't firing out because that's not their job in this offense. Trying to reprogram some of these seniors is difficult when they have been in the system since 7th grade. Ijs As good as the defense is they definitely make mistakes in practice when they're supposed to be in zone but someone is playing man because that's all he has been doing the last 3 yrs. Lebanon this week they will play w pride and confidence let's see what the staff & kids are made of.
A good coach would run the system they been running and sprinkle your stuff in. Coach Parker nem slowly transitioned from the triple year after year u saw less and less until it was jus a part of the offense not the entire game plan

WW has not always been good in football-- it has recently-- but there were decades in which WW (or FP, before that) was average at best-- so, yes, it HAS been accepted, period. It would be nice if the residents of the district were as "unaccepting" of academic mediocrity as YOU say they are (or will be) of football mediocrity. I could NOT care less if WW starts to field football teams as bad as Finneytown does REGULARLY, if WWSD could at least move up to the level of academic performance that Finneytown has had (though Finneytown is not what it once was, academically, either).
I don’t care about the white man academic structure, and ratings based off standardized tests and all that i went there ain’t nothin wrong with them academically they jus lik any other school they got open enrollment so they got kids comin from the city who maybe ain’t been properly educated from where they come from and need time to catch up there’s too many factors in that and I could careless about it. The football team been sending ppl to college so they grades good enough

I was going back to Everhart but hey you keep claiming race,?
No u weren’t penalties is the main topic of conversation wen WW loses or period. Everhart been gone a decade wy is it still being brought up if u know it’s a problem outside of a coaches hands. I never heard one person say WW gettin penalties been goin on way before Parker so he shouldn’t get blame not one time. And u think u bout to say this guy don’t get blame na it don’t work lik that

I’ve followed WW football for at least 15 years and last night was probably the most disappointed I’ve been in the team since they squandered a regional game vs Anderson in 2008. But at least that Anderson team was State Champs. Last night WW penalties kept Kings first and TD drive, brought back several big plays and the killer was the block in the back at the 1 yd line, which would have put them up 20-7. Unlike previous teams this young team can’t overcome 120 yards of penalties. I trust that this staff gets this straightened out by Wk 11, because Region 8 is as bad as it’s been in a long time.
By the way, Winton Woods was State D2 Champions 2009. Beat Maple Heights that year.

Last edited:
I don’t care about the white man academic structure, and ratings based off standardized tests and all that i went there ain’t nothin wrong with them academically they jus lik any other school they got open enrollment so they got kids comin from the city who maybe ain’t been properly educated from where they come from and need time to catch up there’s too many factors in that and I could careless about it. The football team been sending ppl to college so they grades good enough
Your post above has made all the arguments needed AGAINST putting emphasis on football (or any sport) over academics. If you think "ain’t nothin wrong with them academically they jus lik any other school", then really, there's nothing more to discuss. And the football team has been sending only a tiny number of its huge roster to college-- and I'll bet that the number of those who then actually GRADUATE from college is pitifully small. For example, does Carlton Gray have his degree from UCLA?

I can only hope that people who subscribe to your views (about the false importance of HS football in WWSD) will become an ever smaller and smaller percentage of the residents in the district, as the district's neighborhoods get slowly gentrified by new residents moving in.

Your post above has made all the arguments needed AGAINST putting emphasis on football (or any sport) over academics. If you think "ain’t nothin wrong with them academically they jus lik any other school", then really, there's nothing more to discuss. And the football team has been sending only a tiny number of its huge roster to college-- and I'll bet that the number of those who then actually GRADUATE from college is pitifully small. For example, does Carlton Gray have his degree from UCLA?

I can only hope that people who subscribe to your views (about the false importance of HS football in WWSD) will become an ever smaller and smaller percentage of the residents in the district, as the district's neighborhoods get slowly gentrified by new residents moving in.
Carlton Gray was an Academic All American at UCLA. Just info I’m putting out there

It's not at all clear what your message was trying to say-- but if you think families are moving into the Wyoming school district because of their winning football team (which is not a new phenomenon-- Wyoming currently has the highest all-time winning percentage in Ohio HS football history-- going back to Wyoming's first team in 1930) then you just don't know or understand the Wyoming district. THAT is NOT why people move into that district-- I know this from first-hand experience, having lived in both the WW and Wyoming districts, for many years (each).

Either way, use the Finneytown example, if you want a realistic goal for the WWSD to aspire to-- and winning HS football is a foreign concept in Finneytown.

4GX you make some very good points however...

Wyoming and Walnut hills top the Cincinnati area public high schools in academic performance. (There is a reason CPS students have to test into Walnut, this is CPS crown Jewel).
Finneytown is also a small well run district competing in a league stacked with academic and athletic success.
The Finneytown house system has payed off with their diverse population. Wyoming as a district is #3 in Ohio. When you look at the demographics of income, two parent house holds, disciplinary report, FRL, average instructional staff salary of $92k its evident there is a lot more support at home than is found at other public schools from these systems especially WW.

Now as you stated,
Every parent wants the best opportunities for their children and most move into a district checking out the school system before they buy or rent (if they plan on using the system). Those that cannot afford a private school education will seek to get into a better performing public school if they can. (Some people purchased or are renting in an areas they can afford even if its an underperforming district).

With that said, I guarantee there is at least one starter on the Cincinnati areas public highs top programs (all sports) that is not a product of the district (some have several). The parents that have athletic kids will look for avenues to get opportunities for their students beyond academics if their current district cannot provide them.

There are pathways parents can take to get those opportunities if they live in a lower performing academic district with poor athletic opportunities like a WW outside of FB.

Seeing what Princeton is doing with recent coaching hires throughout their athletics programs and improvements made in student outcomes when Valarie Hawkins was the director of teaching and learning (up until last year) Princeton is going in the right direction and will pull families / athletes from neighboring districts down the road for both. (On a side note: they have already been doing this to a degree with athletics).

Mrs. Hawkins is now the Superintendent of Mt. Healthy City schools and is building one hell of a support staff for students.
It will be a challenge but she is laying the groundwork (through acquisition of talent) to improve student outcomes.
It will be interesting to see where Mt Healthy is at in 3 to 5 years in total academic and athletic achievements .
WW does not have the administration or funding to do what a Princeton or Mt. Healthy is trying to do thus why I sad give it 2-3 years and its over.

You didn't answer the question: DID Carlton Gray get his degree from UCLA, before he left school for the NFL?
I believe Gray does have his degree. My homie was his best friend growing up and he always reiterates that Carlton comes from a family of educators. Very intellectual family

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX

Wtf u talkin bout Gray probably didn’t graduate because he got drafted in the NFL if he had stayed I’m sure he would’ve graduated that’s not the case for majority of the players majority of them aren’t leaving school for the nfl early I can name countless WW players that have went on to finish school

Wtf u talkin bout Gray probably didn’t graduate because he got drafted in the NFL if he had stayed I’m sure he would’ve graduated that’s not the case for majority of the players majority of them aren’t leaving school for the nfl early I can name countless WW players that have went on to finish school
Football players have graduated and played football from Army, Navy. Harvard, Bucknell. and many schools in between. My point is, there is a good education available at WW if one takes care of it.

Football players have graduated and played football from Army, Navy. Harvard, Bucknell. and many schools in between. My point is, there is a good education available at WW if one takes care of it.
Hey blue, was looking on Maryland football roster, did not see younger Booker? Did he still go to Maryland?

Hey blue, was looking on Maryland football roster, did not see younger Booker? Did he still go to Maryland?
He attended the Lasalle game so I don’t know what is going on with him. He came to speak with me but he didn’t bring up his status, so I didn’t either. I will see what is going on. I may have to call his dad

This is very True. If it wasn’t Mr. Gray would not have brought his daughter to WW and he would have encouraged her to stay at LW. Can you imagine being a WW Coach or member of the athletic department and having to deal with kanehawk’s clearly constant non sense?

I know it is u saying the same thing I’m saying u need to read the thread

This is very True. If it wasn’t Mr. Gray would not have brought his daughter to WW and he would have encouraged her to stay at LW. Can you imagine being a WW Coach or member of the athletic department and having to deal with kanehawk’s clearly constant non sense?
I’m telling yal the education at WW is perfectly fine someone else questioned WW players graduation rate and coach Gray degree status not me yal need to read

I believe Gray does have his degree. My homie was his best friend growing up and he always reiterates that Carlton comes from a family of educators. Very intellectual family
I'm glad to hear that-- it is ALL to frequent that those who get a chance to GO to college because of their athletic gifts do not actually avail themselves of the education that that opportunity presents. The mindset that "KaneHawk" presents here is a huge part of the problem-- he thinks the world revolves around sports (football, specifically)-- and is more than willing to sacrifice any focus on academics to have a better HS football team-- that is NOT a recipe for success in life.

NO, that's not clear at all-- many college football players stay 4 and 5 years in college, but never even get close to getting their degree. Gray did NOT leave early: he played four years for UCLA.

Gray himself may well be a cautionary tale for what emphasizing sports over academics can produce: if Carlton Gray had invested even a quarter of the salary that he earned in his NFL career, he would NOT need to work at all today-- there would be no debate about whether he should be a coach at WWHS-- because he would not be in the market to be a HS football coach, given the fairly mediocre pay that such jobs offer. I hope that he is financially set-- but somehow, I doubt it, if he is really focused on wanting to be a HS football coach now.

I'm sure someone here will tell me all about how Gray "just wants to give back" to his community-- but again, somehow, I doubt that he would be in the market to be a HS football coach, if he didn't need the paycheck. Luke Keuchly spent the same number of years in the NFL that Carlton Gray did-- Luke might still have the first dollar he ever earned-- Luke does NOT appear interested in becoming a HS football coach for St. X; but then, Luke went back to Boston College, and finished up his degree in the off-season, after leaving BC after 3 years, when he was drafted by the NFL.

There is plenty of data to show that a majority of NFL (and NBA) players have nothing to show (monetarily) for their high-paying playing careers, within less than 5 years after they finish playing. Much of that is because they are financially (and often functionally) illiterate--and do not know the first thing about budgeting or saving money-- all of which springs from a lack of focus or emphasis on academics, when those players were in HS and college.

Lol. Of course and a Masters. Academic All Americans do
Being an Academic All American does NOT say anything about whether someone got their degree-- it is awarded for achieving a certain level GPA, in a given year/semester, while playing at a reasonably high level. You could be an Academic All-American every year of college, but, if you did not complete all the course requirements for your degree, you STILL don't get your degree-- and that, ULTIMATELY, is what matters, if you hope to be employed after your playing career, in fields that require a college degree.

I hope that you are correct-- that he has both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree-- it should help him to find that long-sought HS football head coaching job-- as those positions universally REQUIRE that the applicant have a bachelor's degree.

He attended the Lasalle game so I don’t know what is going on with him. He came to speak with me but he didn’t bring up his status, so I didn’t either. I will see what is going on. I may have to call his dad
Another young man from WWHS who got an opportunity to go to college, as a result of his athletic gifts... are you saying that he is not in school, progressing toward a degree? How surprising.

Being an Academic All American does NOT say anything about whether someone got their degree-- it is awarded for achieving a certain level GPA, in a given year/semester, while playing at a reasonably high level. You could be an Academic All-American every year of college, but, if you did not complete all the course requirements for your degree, you STILL don't get your degree-- and that, ULTIMATELY, is what matters, if you hope to be employed after your playing career, in fields that require a college degree.

I hope that you are correct-- that he has both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree-- it should help him to find that long-sought HS football head coaching job-- as those positions universally REQUIRE that the applicant have a bachelor's degree.
These things were on display in the old WW building. Don’t have to prove anything to you. Gray isn’t looking for a head football job. He is more into girls basketball and will be the head coach this year at WW. Have a nice life. Really don’t care for your tone on our forum

4GX you make some very good points however...

Wyoming and Walnut hills top the Cincinnati area public high schools in academic performance. (There is a reason CPS students have to test into Walnut, this is CPS crown Jewel).
Finneytown is also a small well run district competing in a league stacked with academic and athletic success.
The Finneytown house system has payed off with their diverse population. Wyoming as a district is #3 in Ohio. When you look at the demographics of income, two parent house holds, disciplinary report, FRL, average instructional staff salary of $92k its evident there is a lot more support at home than is found at other public schools from these systems especially WW.

Now as you stated,
Every parent wants the best opportunities for their children and most move into a district checking out the school system before they buy or rent (if they plan on using the system). Those that cannot afford a private school education will seek to get into a better performing public school if they can. (Some people purchased or are renting in an areas they can afford even if its an underperforming district).

With that said, I guarantee there is at least one starter on the Cincinnati areas public highs top programs (all sports) that is not a product of the district (some have several). The parents that have athletic kids will look for avenues to get opportunities for their students beyond academics if their current district cannot provide them.

There are pathways parents can take to get those opportunities if they live in a lower performing academic district with poor athletic opportunities like a WW outside of FB.

Seeing what Princeton is doing with recent coaching hires throughout their athletics programs and improvements made in student outcomes when Valarie Hawkins was the director of teaching and learning (up until last year) Princeton is going in the right direction and will pull families / athletes from neighboring districts down the road for both. (On a side note: they have already been doing this to a degree with athletics).

Mrs. Hawkins is now the Superintendent of Mt. Healthy City schools and is building one hell of a support staff for students.
It will be a challenge but she is laying the groundwork (through acquisition of talent) to improve student outcomes.
It will be interesting to see where Mt Healthy is at in 3 to 5 years in total academic and athletic achievements .
WW does not have the administration or funding to do what a Princeton or Mt. Healthy is trying to do thus why I sad give it 2-3 years and its over.
I think the gist of what you are claiming is that WWSD does not have the resources that Wyoming, Walnut Hills, Princeton, Mt. Healthy, and Finneytown have-- I won't argue the Wyoming, Walnut Hills, or Princeton bits-- that's all true-- but there is absolutely NO reason that WWSD can not match the resources of Finneytown and Mt. Healthy-- and, I'd argue that WWSD actually has MORE resources than those two districts.

I'd also argue that resources are NOT what dictate academic or athletic success-- it is parental involvement-- all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. If a district is not achieving success academically, it is ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE a parent/parenting problem-- specifically, a lack of parent focus on the things that matter: regular attendance in class; paying attention in class; diligent nightly performance of homework; limiting of extracurricular activities (either school-linked or other) that interfere with getting top performance on academic assignments-- if parents don't make it clear that top academic performance is expected, then those parents will get the sub-par academic performance that they willingly tolerate.

Mt. Healthy is not a district that WWSD should to aspire to match, academically-- they are not doing well, either. But Finneytown is totally reasonable for WWSD to aspire to match.

The other thing that you seem to be asserting is that, somehow, the athletic facilities determine if a kid is going to have opportunities to gain a college education based on his/her athletic abilities-- that just is NOT true. Especially in football, where the recruiting process is heavily regimented-- the top players are identified very early (sometimes even before HS)-- and they go to camps every summer, starting around ~7th-8th grade, where the kids are evaluated on individual "measurables" that have NOTHING to do with how that kid's HS team does-- so having a good team and/or good facilities has virtually nothing to do with getting a kid the opportunity to play in college. Finneytown had a top lineman recruit, a few years ago, on an absolutely TERRIBLE team (that played and practiced in/on Finneytown's antiquated facilities)-- and it made NO difference-- he still got a ton of big NCAA Division I schools offering him scholarships-- those programs could NOT have cared less what his HS team was doing.

These things were on display in the old WW building. Don’t have to prove anything to you. Gray isn’t looking for a head football job. He is more into girls basketball and will be the head coach this year at WW. Have a nice life. Really don’t care for your tone on our forum
I'm sure you don't like my tone-- because I choose to focus on something uncomfortable for you (and others on here, like KaneHawk)-- the lack of academic achievement in WWSD-- and the over-emphasis on sports (specifically, and almost exclusively, football). Hell, we just had somebody (two weeks ago) at a youth football game in Forest Park (virtually across the street from my house!) PULL A GUN and threaten other people at that game, in a dispute over the game-- Talk about having your priorities COMPLETELY OUT OF WHACK!

Yes, it's a HS football forum-- I get it-- but the ONLY time any significant number of people in Forest Park get concerned about this miserable failing school district is when either the football team is not winning or the football team's funding is endangered. Otherwise, no one seems to care about the utter debacle, in virtually every meaningful area, that is taking place across this entire district all the time. That is just inexcusable-- especially when one recognizes that HS football will be so meaningless and irrelevant in any future career success that these kids in the district might hope to have.

I also seriously doubt that whether or not Carlton Gray received his degree from UCLA, before he left for the NFL was documented in the WW building.