Why Does the Pandemic Seem to Be Hitting Some Countries Harder Than Others?

I tend to think it's very difficult to compare COVID in wealthier, developed countries to COVID in countries that are still developing.

Besides methods for identifying cases and compiling statistics on COVID probably being questionable, in developing countries the population tends to be much younger and there aren't nearly as many issues with obesity or being overweight due to the nature of living in those societies for the typical person there. The largest factors to having severe complications to COVID don't apply to a huge percentage of the population.

A prime example would be much of Sub-Saharan Africa. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out that COVID deaths are very low compared to percentages of the population that have COVID antibodies as in many of those countries 50+% of the population is under 20. COVID isn't a problem relative to other diseases as there aren't many elderly in general in those societies, let alone elderly that are obese and have co-morbidities. It's almost impossible to compare the impact of COVID there to the impact of COVID in the United States or Western Europe.

Last edited:
and many people's actions changed with when a bad example was removed that included getting vaccinated but also wearing masks and social distancing. That saved lives
None of those states and nations had reached a point anywhere near herd immunity in their infections.
But they will with a high level of vaccinations
More BS....

The ODH stated in late December that mask wearing in public was at 95%. Trump was president then.

Herd immunity is happening in many areas even without the vaccines. As the old and at risk get vaccinated we will continue to see hospitalizations decline as well as deaths. Those who are young and healthy and not really at risk aren't being hospitalized at high rates.

Here's the thing about the shutdown and personal decisions, at least IMO. A lot of people fail to realize, or may not even care, that they dont live in their own isolated bubble. I'm not accusing you of this, but many comments on this board sound very selfish to me. If a person decides to not wear a mask or social distance they potentially pass this on unwittingly to someone else. Someone, let's say a cashier who cares for their sickly mother, doesnt want a bunch of people coming through his/her line not masking up. A little respect and consideration for your fellow American can go a long way. 500,000 deaths and counting with masking and distancing. I cant imagine the numbers if we were business as usual the past year.
Again, not accusing you moedude. Just a general observation
I do wear the mask because it has been mandated. But I think the masks are a joke. We had the mandate in place for most of last year and everywhere I went people were obeying the mandate and yet the so called numbers still spiked upward. Now they are saying the more masks the better. It's already showing up that mask wearing is causing other health issues. IMO the numbers are whacked because it became political. There are a lot of stories about deaths being labeled COVID when the person really died from something else. Do you really believe the Flu numbers are non-existent?

There will always be a lot of distrust in regards to this pandemic because of the way it was politicized. The contradictions from the CDC alone causes a lot of the distrust.

Last edited:
BS. I have never looked to a politician for leadership.

Pretty telling though that you clearly need someone to tell you how to live and behave. That's pretty sad actually.
I take advise from the informed on a subject, Trumpite follow the lead of their cultleader

I take advise from the informed on a subject, Trumpite follow the lead of their cultleader
???? thanks for the laughs. You the informed one that gave China $3.5 miillion to help develop the disease in the first place?!?!?

More BS....

The ODH stated in late December that mask wearing in public was at 95%. Trump was president then.

Herd immunity is happening in many areas even without the vaccines. As the old and at risk get vaccinated we will continue to see hospitalizations decline as well as deaths. Those who are young and healthy and not really at risk aren't being hospitalized at high rates.
for Ohio that happened because on November 13, 2020 the state began a more strict enforcement of the wearing of masks in retail establishments. Before then it was ignored by many
and in many other states this was true, especially Trumpite states.
So for most of the time since the pandemic spread to the US there was large scale ignoring of the safety protocols throughout this country and Donald provided a lead example of it.

???? thanks for the laughs. You the informed one that gave China $3.5 miillion to help develop the disease in the first place?!?!?
gosh a ruddies are all you trumpites paranoid. You been running around your neighborhood looking for Asians to sucker punch.

I do wear the mask because it has been mandated. But I think the masks are a joke. We had the mandate in place for most of last year and everywhere I went people were obeying the mandate and yet the so called numbers still spiked upward. Now they are saying the more masks the better. It's already showing up that mask wearing is causing other health issues. IMO the numbers are whacked because it became political. There are a lot of stories about deaths being labeled COVID when the person really died from something else. Do you really believe the Flu numbers are non-existent?

There will always be a lot of distrust in regards to this pandemic because of the way it was politicized. The contradictions from the CDC alone causes a lot of the distrust.
Yes I believe the flu numbers the CDC reports. They are reporting 0.2 % this season. I've personally swabbed multiple people for the flu and have yet to get 1 positive result. I don't believe my facility has had 1 positive yet.
Yes the numbers spiked but there really is no way to determine what the numbers would be if we were business as usual. Thats why I brought up the flu numbers. If the flu numbers were whacked to almost nil due to restrictions it stands to reason the covid numbers would be exponentially higher. And I'm not advocating for future mandatory masks/shutdowns for future bad flu seasons.
The last I looked the 2020 deaths are supposed to be the highest per 1000 people since the 40s. They want have the complete data until later in the year. So if these numbers bear out, then yes the dots can be connected back to covid
About double masking. Last year it was pointed out by various sources about the difference in n-95 masks, medical masks and homemade masks. It was also of discussion on yappi. N95 are the best , with the others about 50-60% effective. Hence the social distancing. I don't think I've read double masking is mandatory anywhere. But it may be an adjunct to the most vulnerable people who can only their hands on a lower grade mask

gosh a ruddies are all you trumpites paranoid. You been running around your neighborhood looking for Asians to sucker punch.
I love how brain washed all you Lefties are. Ignore the role Fauci played in this pandemic while idolizing the quack.

I love how brain washed all you Lefties are. Ignore the role Fauci played in this pandemic while idolizing the quack.
1614617151393.png

How did you come to that conclusion? You're a nurse? I respect that, do you respect other nurses who are skeptical of COVID-19? In fact, how many nurses are refusing the vaccine?

JAMA reports N-95 masks that are properly fitted will filter 90% of particulate up to 11 years past their expiration date. It's been used as protection against airborne diseases for years, it isn't new with COVID. If you are not fitted and just wearing an N-95, it's just like any other tool that is misused and shouldn't be expected to work as it's not designed.

What do you mean by skeptical? There are definitely patterns of disease that can identify a person who likely has COVID before even having a COVID result. I don't think anyone who actually works with patients and is living in reality can deny that this thing we call COVID definitely has those.

It depends on their reason for refusing the vaccine. It's silly to say all those refusing are doing so in ignorance or all of those are smarter than the rest of us. I would assume the reasons vary from because Trump and government mind-control to the fact that it is not fully FDA approved and we have no long term data to base our conclusions off of. Each individual is different.

you clearly follow the cult of Trump
Lol

I have never looked at Trump's Twitter account nor do I follow anything he does or say.

Not everyone requires a "leader" in their life. It's a shame you are looking for one. Learn to grow up and be your own man. It's liberating!

you follow the racist hoax that the Chinese government purposely generated then spread Covid.

Whether they did it on purpose or through gross negligence needs to be determined. But it takes a special kind of fool not to believe that China was the driving force behind the covid pandemic hitting the world.

The best case scenario is that the Chinese were simply careless in working with the virus in their so called "level 4" bio-safety lab. I personally buy into this scenario. However, once the virus got lose in China I do believe that the Chinese government was deliberately evasive and enabled the virus to make the jump out of China. Their reasoning being along the lines of not wanting to be the only country to suffer through the outbreak.

The evidence for this scenario is overwhelming.

The worst case scenario is that the Chinese developed and then distributed the covid as a way to deflect the growing resentment of the world to Chinese business practices and geopolitical behaviors.

you follow the racist hoax that the Chinese government purposely generated then spread Covid.

Why do you label this as racist? Is it possible not to be racist but to think that the Chinese government is a deeply corrupt totalitarian regime capable of atrocity?

Is it "racist" to charge the Chinese government with the attempted Uyghur genocide? Or is this just a hoax?

Are we only allowed to criticize foreign governments from majority white country's? So was it anti-Asian racism that triggered our criticism of Pol Pot?

More BS....

I tend to think that's why there's been a progressive downward trend in weekly cases since the middle of January. Particularly if you look at the most at-risk members of the herd, the elderly that are 70+ years of age, I think it's getting to the point where the majority either have some immunity via vaccination or infection, and for a good chunk of the most at-risk in that older age group, they have probably unfortunately died from this virus and associated complications already.

As we progress into and through the spring with gradually improving weather and people continuing to get vaccinated, over the next six weeks or so weekly cases should continue to plummet and bottom out.

Lol

I have never looked at Trump's Twitter account nor do I follow anything he does or say.

Not everyone requires a "leader" in their life. It's a shame you are looking for one. Learn to grow up and be your own man. It's liberating!
no matter how you deny it
anyone who reads your posts can see you have fallen under the spell of the Great Orange Pumpkin

Whether they did it on purpose or through gross negligence needs to be determined. But it takes a special kind of fool not to believe that China was the driving force behind the covid pandemic hitting the world.

The best case scenario is that the Chinese were simply careless in working with the virus in their so called "level 4" bio-safety lab. I personally buy into this scenario. However, once the virus got lose in China I do believe that the Chinese government was deliberately evasive and enabled the virus to make the jump out of China. Their reasoning being along the lines of not wanting to be the only country to suffer through the outbreak.

The evidence for this scenario is overwhelming.

The worst case scenario is that the Chinese developed and then distributed the covid as a way to deflect the growing resentment of the world to Chinese business practices and geopolitical behaviors.
when you move out of Qanon land you will find the proof as objective investigation have repeatedly showed that it was not created in any Chinese lab.

Why do you label this as racist? Is it possible not to be racist but to think that the Chinese government is a deeply corrupt totalitarian regime capable of atrocity?

Is it "racist" to charge the Chinese government with the attempted Uyghur genocide? Or is this just a hoax?

Are we only allowed to criticize foreign governments from majority white country's? So was it anti-Asian racism that triggered our criticism of Pol Pot?
if the Chinese government is guilty of an act it should be condemned, but making a proven false charge only stirs up hatred against the government and more importantly Chinese and other Asian people.

if the Chinese government is guilty of an act it should be condemned, but making a proven false charge only stirs up hatred against the government and more importantly Chinese and other Asian people.
Where was it proven false?

gosh a ruddies you can argue just about anything,
but objective factual information supports my positions
So with all the false information about covid that was floating around on twitter and Facebook as you say, how did you avoid catching the virus?