Why Canton?

4GX

Where? (before you post, really think it through)

What makes the drive so "rough"?
Ohio State's Jesse Owens Track & Field Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold 10,000 fans-- big enough for attendance of ANY division final this year.
Fortress Obetz has a turf field-- and can hold ~7000 fans-- and held the Division I final last year.
Dublin Coffman Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold 8500 fans.
Columbus DeSales Alumni Stadium has a turf field-- and has a rated capacity of 7000-- but held over 10,000 for a game against Watterson.
Hilliard Davidson Stadium has a turf field-- and can hold ~6000 fans.

Any or ALL of these could be used to hold the 7 state title games in Columbus with little or no disruption to the OHSAA's plans to televise all 7 games from one metro area.

The length of the drive to Canton, from SW Ohio necessitates coming up the day before the game, for anything other than a 7PM start-- and necessitates staying overnight (either before or after the game) no matter when the start time is, for SW Ohio teams.

4GX

Crew can't because of grass.

Gahanna.... 8,000 capacity
UA..... 11,500 capacity..... can you say absolute nightmare if you get two really big draws back to back? (also have to shut down school for 2 days)

Look, everyone (the fans) want their chance, I get that. However, the business component (like it or not, the $$) takes over.... Until a big venue owner decides to step up and help with the underwriting, it's going to stay in Canton.

And the drive is the drive......(far from "grueling" :ROFLMAO:) Somehow, the St.X swimming team and their parents have figured out how to make it work for the last 40 or so years....... with wild success.
So now, we have two more stadiums that are big enough to hold all the crowds-- UA, Gahanna, Dublin Coffman, DeSales, Fortress Obetz, Hilliard Davidson, and Jesse Owens-- you could hold one game at each site-- now the "back to back" games aren't even a consideration. Put the bigger school divisions at the bigger of those stadiums (Division I at Jesse Owens, Division II at UA, Division III at Coffman, Division IV at Gahanna), then put the smaller school divisions at the smaller stadiums (Division V at DeSales, Division VI at Fortress Obetz, Division VII at Davidson), and no site has more than one game to accommodate-- all turf fields, all sized just right for the de minimis crowds that will actually attend, and all with "stadiums" that have press boxes (most of a decent size).

AllSports12

So now, we have two more stadiums that are big enough to hold all the crowds-- UA, Gahanna, Dublin Coffman, DeSales, Fortress Obetz, Hilliard Davidson, and Jesse Owens-- you could hold one game at each site-- now the "back to back" games aren't even a consideration. Put the bigger school divisions at the bigger of those stadiums (Division I at Jesse Owens, Division II at UA, Division III at Coffman, Division IV at Gahanna), then put the smaller school divisions at the smaller stadiums (Division V at DeSales, Division VI at Fortress Obetz, Division VII at Davidson), and no site has more than one game to accommodate-- all turf fields, all sized just right for the de minimis crowds that will actually attend, and all with "stadiums" that have press boxes (most of a decent size).
Get back to me when that happens :ROFLMAO:

Vincent and Regina

BUT BUT BUT BUT.

Think of all the people that go to all 7 games. All 7 of those people will be dissappointed.

Reactions: 4GX

Gbulldog

Even though there were alot of venues mentioned that would be ideal, they still would have to place a bid. Until someone outbids Canton, it'll be held in Canton. Schools are having a hard enough time finding volunteers for their HS home games (ticket booth, concessions, parking) that I dont beleive you can pull it off at numerous stadiums. The Canton area is used to all the logistics that go into hosting this event....it doesnt happen overnight. I also think the novelty (of hosting) would wear off at some of these places in a few years and they would be looking for another place. Just my opinion.

4GX

Even though there were alot of venues mentioned that would be ideal, they still would have to place a bid. Until someone outbids Canton, it'll be held in Canton. Schools are having a hard enough time finding volunteers for their HS home games (ticket booth, concessions, parking) that I dont beleive you can pull it off at numerous stadiums. The Canton area is used to all the logistics that go into hosting this event....it doesnt happen overnight. I also think the novelty (of hosting) would wear off at some of these places in a few years and they would be looking for another place. Just my opinion.
Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for TWICE as many games, the week before the state finals (on about ~one day's notice), for all of the state semi-finals, EVERY YEAR-- with the games located approximately equi-distance between the competing teams.

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for FOUR TIMES as many games, two weeks before the state finals, on ~one day's notice, for all of the regional finals EVERY YEAR, at locations that are roughly equidistant for all of the competing teams.

It doesn't feel that difficult to accomplish the same for one quarter as many games.

bkmk1

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for TWICE as many games, the week before the state finals (on about ~one day's notice), for all of the state semi-finals, EVERY YEAR-- with the games located approximately equi-distance between the competing teams.

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for FOUR TIMES as many games, two weeks before the state finals, on ~one day's notice, for all of the regional finals EVERY YEAR, at locations that are roughly equidistant for all of the competing teams.

It doesn't feel that difficult to accomplish the same for one quarter as many games.
The difference: those High Schools are bidding on 1 game, 1 night. Not 7 games and 3 days/nights.

4GX

The difference: those High Schools are bidding on 1 game, 1 night. Not 7 games and 3 days/nights.
They don't need to bid on 7 games and 3 days/nights-- let a range of sites (in Columbus) bid on one or two of the 7 games. This is not that hard to do.

firewatch

The one thing a lot of the stadiums mentioned other than Canton, Massillon or OSU is where are or will the 100+ or so OHSAA freeloaders and family members that demand food and loge/press box type seating be accommodated. Along with parking right next to the stadium.

Last edited:

Mackinbiner

Those sites VOLUNTEERED to host those games several months in advance. I think you'll find the term "bid" is also a misnomer for those games.

bkmk1

They don't need to bid on 7 games and 3 days/nights-- let a range of sites (in Columbus) bid on one or two of the 7 games. This is not that hard to do.
I'm sure OHSAA has done their due diligence. If they wanted to pull that off, they would have. So until others step up and make a bid equal to or better than Canton, Canton will host.

kingpin2010

There seems to be a fundamental non understanding here. The state finals are different than the semi finals and there are more requirements needed to host the finals weekend than are needed to host a semi final or other playoff game. In other words, there is a lot more requirements than A- turf field and B- X amount of stadium capacity. Also, there is no way they would even consider picking a stadium under 12, probably 15k.

AllSports12

There seems to be a fundamental non understanding here. The state finals are different than the semi finals and there are more requirements needed to host the finals weekend than are needed to host a semi final or other playoff game. In other words, there is a lot more requirements than A- turf field and B- X amount of stadium capacity. Also, there is no way they would even consider picking a stadium under 12, probably 15k.
It's the same thing every year. They think the mere existence of a venue means it can host a State Final.

Kind of like the story about the fool who says to his banker, "How can I be overdrawn?.... I still have 20 checks in my checkbook" ;)

Allsport95

Rotating would be great , Ohio U, BG, MIAMI OF OHIO, TOLEDO, UC, OHIO STATE, KENT STATE,YSU, CREW STADIUM. I don't know maybe this already been thought about doing and I'm behind times. Maybe these schools don't want to host. I think it would be great.

warriorblue

I think "irrational hate" is a bit of a stretch. I've lived in SW Ohio my whole life. I love Columbus, Indy and Louisville. Truthfully, I don't like Cleveland, but in reality I've only been to the city a couple of times in my life. Personally, I think most of the distaste for Cleveland in this part of the state is sports related. If you're a Bengals or Reds fan, you are most likely hate the Browns and the Guardians (LOL). We have multiple great cities within a few hours drive and Cleveland is 4 hours away. Hell, if I want to drive 4 hours to hang out in a city for a weekend I'll drive an extra hour and go to Nashville.
I agree with you. It’s more of a silly sports things for me about disliking Cleveland. Other than that I have no problems with Cleveland. I like a Hip Hop group from there also! Columbus is cool too. I grew up cheering on Woody Hayes and the Buckeyes. Many people I know from here in Cincinnati feel the same! Also, Hamilton is not Cincinnati.

simkon

Rotating would be great , Ohio U, BG, MIAMI OF OHIO, TOLEDO, UC, OHIO STATE, KENT STATE,YSU, CREW STADIUM. I don't know maybe this already been thought about doing and I'm behind times. Maybe these schools don't want to host. I think it would be great.
None of the MAC schools are interested in hosting, nor is Nippert, or the Shoe... it all comes down to money. Of those on your list it may be viable for the old Crew Stadium to host and possibly YSU, but I wouldn't be surprised if YSU gives the same response as the MAC schools and Nippert (ask for more money and a cut of the ticket sales to cover their overhead and operating costs and to pay personnel like cops/security etc.

firewatch

It all boils down to who can wine and dine the OHSAA and their families the best while they watch the games in warmth. If your bid doesn't include this, it's trash.

thavoice

Half of those places, Ohio U, Miami, YSU, and even UC to a point........the travel SUCKS TO THOSE PLACES!

Dont know about Kent State

Raylan_Givens

The one thing a lot of the stadiums mentioned other than Canton, Massillon or OSU is where are or will the 100+ or so OHSAA freeloaders and family members that demand food and loge/press box type seating be accommodated. Along with parking right next to the stadium.
SPOT ON. First year finals were back in Canton a few of us bought the "all game pass". Aside from the parking & shuttle from the dark side of the moon (Stark Co fairgrounds), we got to take the elevator up and hang out in the loge area. We thought it would be great until 1) no chairs in loge so if you stayed between games you had to sit outside (!?!?!) and 2) the OHSAA "VIPs" you had to deal with. A couple were fun to talk to, but the great majority could take "cool guy" pills for a year just to make the transition from "insufferable arse" to "douche bag" level.

This is the case where HoF's NFL experience provides them a roadmap for dealing with a middle school principal from Podunk, OH who's on a board and thinks he's Jerry Jones' love child. Not sure many of the universities in the state want to take on that.

dexksim

What if the OHSAA charged membership fees to schools and used the money to pay for people to work the championship games? Would that help (get another city to submit a bid knowing that the help would be paid)?

thavoice

All the places are in a different part of the state and yet the travel still sucks??
YSU: On border with PA. F that. Miami: Drive sucks. Ohio U: BFE. UC: Edge of the state, again, and getting their sux. Great venue, but harder to get to than Canton and parking...horrible.

All worst travel patterns than Canton currently.

L Hand

YSU: On border with PA. F that. Miami: Drive sucks. Ohio U: BFE. UC: Edge of the state, again, and getting their sux. Great venue, but harder to get to than Canton and parking...horrible.

All worst travel patterns than Canton currently.
Me - "Is this heaven?"
thavoice - "No - it's Tom Benson Stadium in Canton."
Me - "What about the highway rumbling by, the old crumbling downtown and the smell?"
thavoice - "I don't know what you are talking about."

PerryDude

If it's not held at Canton it should be held at Massillon! Guys this is where football grew it's roots! I know as a born Pennsylvania kid that is where football started but here, here in Canton and Massillon football blossomed and is what is NFL, College, High School etc. I know drive times suck for the Cincy folk, (a couple of your teams are here every year) but THIS IS A FOOTBALL TOWN/AREA!

thavoice

If it's not held at Canton it should be held at Massillon! Guys this is where football grew it's roots! I know as a born Pennsylvania kid that is where football started but here, here in Canton and Massillon football blossomed and is what is NFL, College, High School etc. I know drive times suck for the Cincy folk, (a couple of your teams are here every year) but THIS IS A FOOTBALL TOWN/AREA!
Concur.
The home of 24 Time State Champions. The title games SHOULD BE THERE as that type of success is what every team is striving for.

Sykotyk

Let's be clear, if Tom Benson was in Columbus it would be the perfect option.

As long as no party in Columbus wants to submit a winning bid, it won't happen.

However, the other option is for the ohsaa to stop the bid process and simply go out and solicit the venues in the state with what they want and see how much each place would cost.

The Super Bowl famously was bid every year but even the NFL now just goes where they want each year and no longer does bids.

Why? Because the same parties bid and those out of the loop no longer submitted bids.

Right now, for instance in PA there's big rumors that the finals are moving from Hershey. And if you've been there the quality of their hosting has diminished the past few years. And they were the only bidder for the last four year term. No body else has submitted a bid in a while because Hershey has been the default.

You see this problem in other states. Some the location is so obvious like Ford Field or the Carrier Dome. But in wv everyone complains about going to Wheeling but they're the only bid and they're great at hosting that no other site in the state even feels like the effort to submit a bid know they're not unseating Wheeling.