Why Canton?

So now, we have two more stadiums that are big enough to hold all the crowds-- UA, Gahanna, Dublin Coffman, DeSales, Fortress Obetz, Hilliard Davidson, and Jesse Owens-- you could hold one game at each site-- now the "back to back" games aren't even a consideration. Put the bigger school divisions at the bigger of those stadiums (Division I at Jesse Owens, Division II at UA, Division III at Coffman, Division IV at Gahanna), then put the smaller school divisions at the smaller stadiums (Division V at DeSales, Division VI at Fortress Obetz, Division VII at Davidson), and no site has more than one game to accommodate-- all turf fields, all sized just right for the de minimis crowds that will actually attend, and all with "stadiums" that have press boxes (most of a decent size).
BUT BUT BUT BUT.

Think of all the people that go to all 7 games. All 7 of those people will be dissappointed.

Reactions: 4GX
Even though there were alot of venues mentioned that would be ideal, they still would have to place a bid. Until someone outbids Canton, it'll be held in Canton. Schools are having a hard enough time finding volunteers for their HS home games (ticket booth, concessions, parking) that I dont beleive you can pull it off at numerous stadiums. The Canton area is used to all the logistics that go into hosting this event....it doesnt happen overnight. I also think the novelty (of hosting) would wear off at some of these places in a few years and they would be looking for another place. Just my opinion.

Even though there were alot of venues mentioned that would be ideal, they still would have to place a bid. Until someone outbids Canton, it'll be held in Canton. Schools are having a hard enough time finding volunteers for their HS home games (ticket booth, concessions, parking) that I dont beleive you can pull it off at numerous stadiums. The Canton area is used to all the logistics that go into hosting this event....it doesnt happen overnight. I also think the novelty (of hosting) would wear off at some of these places in a few years and they would be looking for another place. Just my opinion.
Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for TWICE as many games, the week before the state finals (on about ~one day's notice), for all of the state semi-finals, EVERY YEAR-- with the games located approximately equi-distance between the competing teams.

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for FOUR TIMES as many games, two weeks before the state finals, on ~one day's notice, for all of the regional finals EVERY YEAR, at locations that are roughly equidistant for all of the competing teams.

It doesn't feel that difficult to accomplish the same for one quarter as many games.

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for TWICE as many games, the week before the state finals (on about ~one day's notice), for all of the state semi-finals, EVERY YEAR-- with the games located approximately equi-distance between the competing teams.

Somehow, the OHSAA finds suitable bidders for FOUR TIMES as many games, two weeks before the state finals, on ~one day's notice, for all of the regional finals EVERY YEAR, at locations that are roughly equidistant for all of the competing teams.

It doesn't feel that difficult to accomplish the same for one quarter as many games.
The difference: those High Schools are bidding on 1 game, 1 night. Not 7 games and 3 days/nights.

The difference: those High Schools are bidding on 1 game, 1 night. Not 7 games and 3 days/nights.
They don't need to bid on 7 games and 3 days/nights-- let a range of sites (in Columbus) bid on one or two of the 7 games. This is not that hard to do.

The one thing a lot of the stadiums mentioned other than Canton, Massillon or OSU is where are or will the 100+ or so OHSAA freeloaders and family members that demand food and loge/press box type seating be accommodated. Along with parking right next to the stadium.

Last edited:

Those sites VOLUNTEERED to host those games several months in advance. I think you'll find the term "bid" is also a misnomer for those games.

They don't need to bid on 7 games and 3 days/nights-- let a range of sites (in Columbus) bid on one or two of the 7 games. This is not that hard to do.
I'm sure OHSAA has done their due diligence. If they wanted to pull that off, they would have. So until others step up and make a bid equal to or better than Canton, Canton will host.

There seems to be a fundamental non understanding here. The state finals are different than the semi finals and there are more requirements needed to host the finals weekend than are needed to host a semi final or other playoff game. In other words, there is a lot more requirements than A- turf field and B- X amount of stadium capacity. Also, there is no way they would even consider picking a stadium under 12, probably 15k.

There seems to be a fundamental non understanding here. The state finals are different than the semi finals and there are more requirements needed to host the finals weekend than are needed to host a semi final or other playoff game. In other words, there is a lot more requirements than A- turf field and B- X amount of stadium capacity. Also, there is no way they would even consider picking a stadium under 12, probably 15k.
It's the same thing every year. They think the mere existence of a venue means it can host a State Final.

Kind of like the story about the fool who says to his banker, "How can I be overdrawn?.... I still have 20 checks in my checkbook" ;)

Rotating would be great , Ohio U, BG, MIAMI OF OHIO, TOLEDO, UC, OHIO STATE, KENT STATE,YSU, CREW STADIUM. I don't know maybe this already been thought about doing and I'm behind times. Maybe these schools don't want to host. I think it would be great.

I think "irrational hate" is a bit of a stretch. I've lived in SW Ohio my whole life. I love Columbus, Indy and Louisville. Truthfully, I don't like Cleveland, but in reality I've only been to the city a couple of times in my life. Personally, I think most of the distaste for Cleveland in this part of the state is sports related. If you're a Bengals or Reds fan, you are most likely hate the Browns and the Guardians (LOL). We have multiple great cities within a few hours drive and Cleveland is 4 hours away. Hell, if I want to drive 4 hours to hang out in a city for a weekend I'll drive an extra hour and go to Nashville.
I agree with you. It’s more of a silly sports things for me about disliking Cleveland. Other than that I have no problems with Cleveland. I like a Hip Hop group from there also! Columbus is cool too. I grew up cheering on Woody Hayes and the Buckeyes. Many people I know from here in Cincinnati feel the same! Also, Hamilton is not Cincinnati.

Rotating would be great , Ohio U, BG, MIAMI OF OHIO, TOLEDO, UC, OHIO STATE, KENT STATE,YSU, CREW STADIUM. I don't know maybe this already been thought about doing and I'm behind times. Maybe these schools don't want to host. I think it would be great.
None of the MAC schools are interested in hosting, nor is Nippert, or the Shoe... it all comes down to money. Of those on your list it may be viable for the old Crew Stadium to host and possibly YSU, but I wouldn't be surprised if YSU gives the same response as the MAC schools and Nippert (ask for more money and a cut of the ticket sales to cover their overhead and operating costs and to pay personnel like cops/security etc.

It all boils down to who can wine and dine the OHSAA and their families the best while they watch the games in warmth. If your bid doesn't include this, it's trash.

Half of those places, Ohio U, Miami, YSU, and even UC to a point........the travel SUCKS TO THOSE PLACES!

Dont know about Kent State

The one thing a lot of the stadiums mentioned other than Canton, Massillon or OSU is where are or will the 100+ or so OHSAA freeloaders and family members that demand food and loge/press box type seating be accommodated. Along with parking right next to the stadium.
SPOT ON. First year finals were back in Canton a few of us bought the "all game pass". Aside from the parking & shuttle from the dark side of the moon (Stark Co fairgrounds), we got to take the elevator up and hang out in the loge area. We thought it would be great until 1) no chairs in loge so if you stayed between games you had to sit outside (!?!?!) and 2) the OHSAA "VIPs" you had to deal with. A couple were fun to talk to, but the great majority could take "cool guy" pills for a year just to make the transition from "insufferable arse" to "douche bag" level.

This is the case where HoF's NFL experience provides them a roadmap for dealing with a middle school principal from Podunk, OH who's on a board and thinks he's Jerry Jones' love child. Not sure many of the universities in the state want to take on that.

What if the OHSAA charged membership fees to schools and used the money to pay for people to work the championship games? Would that help (get another city to submit a bid knowing that the help would be paid)?

All the places are in a different part of the state and yet the travel still sucks??
YSU: On border with PA. F that. Miami: Drive sucks. Ohio U: BFE. UC: Edge of the state, again, and getting their sux. Great venue, but harder to get to than Canton and parking...horrible.

All worst travel patterns than Canton currently.

YSU: On border with PA. F that. Miami: Drive sucks. Ohio U: BFE. UC: Edge of the state, again, and getting their sux. Great venue, but harder to get to than Canton and parking...horrible.

All worst travel patterns than Canton currently.
Me - "Is this heaven?"
thavoice - "No - it's Tom Benson Stadium in Canton."
Me - "What about the highway rumbling by, the old crumbling downtown and the smell?"
thavoice - "I don't know what you are talking about."

If it's not held at Canton it should be held at Massillon! Guys this is where football grew it's roots! I know as a born Pennsylvania kid that is where football started but here, here in Canton and Massillon football blossomed and is what is NFL, College, High School etc. I know drive times suck for the Cincy folk, (a couple of your teams are here every year) but THIS IS A FOOTBALL TOWN/AREA!

If it's not held at Canton it should be held at Massillon! Guys this is where football grew it's roots! I know as a born Pennsylvania kid that is where football started but here, here in Canton and Massillon football blossomed and is what is NFL, College, High School etc. I know drive times suck for the Cincy folk, (a couple of your teams are here every year) but THIS IS A FOOTBALL TOWN/AREA!
Concur.
The home of 24 Time State Champions. The title games SHOULD BE THERE as that type of success is what every team is striving for.

Let's be clear, if Tom Benson was in Columbus it would be the perfect option.

As long as no party in Columbus wants to submit a winning bid, it won't happen.

However, the other option is for the ohsaa to stop the bid process and simply go out and solicit the venues in the state with what they want and see how much each place would cost.

The Super Bowl famously was bid every year but even the NFL now just goes where they want each year and no longer does bids.

Why? Because the same parties bid and those out of the loop no longer submitted bids.

Right now, for instance in PA there's big rumors that the finals are moving from Hershey. And if you've been there the quality of their hosting has diminished the past few years. And they were the only bidder for the last four year term. No body else has submitted a bid in a while because Hershey has been the default.

You see this problem in other states. Some the location is so obvious like Ford Field or the Carrier Dome. But in wv everyone complains about going to Wheeling but they're the only bid and they're great at hosting that no other site in the state even feels like the effort to submit a bid know they're not unseating Wheeling.

All the places are in a different part of the state and yet the travel still sucks??
Half of those places, Ohio U, Miami, YSU, and even UC to a point........the travel SUCKS TO THOSE PLACES!

Dont know about Kent State
Travel sucks to Canton as well.

What a dump of a town...Things there have only gotten worse since this article...Crumbling roads, crime, bad hotels and restaurants. At least when you make the trip to the other locations you can enjoy a safe peaceful experience.

Last edited:
Travel sucks to Canton as well.

What a dump of a town...Things there have only gotten worse since this article...Crumbling roads, crime, bad hotels and restaurants. At least when you make the trip to the other locations you can enjoy a safe peaceful experience.

Clickbait list from 5 years ago. Cincinnati is #25 btw on the list. ?

Clickbait list from 5 years ago. Cincinnati is #25 btw on the list. ?
Canton is a dump on any list...Been up there for several football finals and some summer softball tournaments. Good competition but a real dump of a town.

Now to be fair its been 5 years since I was there but my experience the place is a total hole.

Go to Greater Cincinnati area and the communities are cleaner, safer with much better hotels and restaurants.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/07/13/cincinnati-earns-top-50-spot-best-places-live-rankings/#:~:text=CINCINNATI%20(WXIX)%20%2D%20The%20Queen,to%20live%20in%20the%20city.