Why cant Glaze win?

frecriss, you seem to have a quite a bit of venom against coaches that won't hire you. I find it hard to understand how you can say these things about Flossie without anything to support them. Who were these transfers? Not Wayne Brown, Poochie Harris, Justin Kaye, Josh Huffman, Ivan Young, Mike Knapp, Mike Winkler. Maybe you refer to David Shue and the Papp boy. Oh wait, we all know where he should have gone to begin with. Bob Hathaway never played for Robinson. For I guy that knows so much you should get facts straight. Let me guess you had a son play for Flossie and he didn't play that much. By the way, I didn't like idea a black jerseys but they sure looked sharp.

If Flossie thought so little of Barberton guys then Mike Brown, Pat Herald, Ray Phister, among others must have all hidden where they lived and were from. They're from Barberton and all good coaches. I heard he had Barberton guys on his staff at Central Hower. Maybe you guys were just not good coaches.

All I can say is everyone can't be wrong and you right. How about just lightening up and support the purple and white. They may schock you or they may be 0-10. They are still kids playing a game and they should be proud they're out there.

magicsilb said:
frecriss, you seem to have a quite a bit of venom against coaches that won't hire you. I find it hard to understand how you can say these things about Flossie without anything to support them. Who were these transfers? Not Wayne Brown, Poochie Harris, Justin Kaye, Josh Huffman, Ivan Young, Mike Knapp, Mike Winkler. Maybe you refer to David Shue and the Papp boy. Oh wait, we all know where he should have gone to begin with. Bob Hathaway never played for Robinson. For I guy that knows so much you should get facts straight. Let me guess you had a son play for Flossie and he didn't play that much. By the way, I didn't like idea a black jerseys but they sure looked sharp.

If Flossie thought so little of Barberton guys then Mike Brown, Pat Herald, Ray Phister, among others must have all hidden where they lived and were from. They're from Barberton and all good coaches. I heard he had Barberton guys on his staff at Central Hower. Maybe you guys were just not good coaches.

All I can say is everyone can't be wrong and you right. How about just lightening up and support the purple and white. They may schock you or they may be 0-10. They are still kids playing a game and they should be proud they're out there.

My personal duties as a coach have nothing to do with how I feel about a coach. My oldest child is seven years old so I dont think I had a son who played for Flossie.

As for transfers, the main one was Dave Mattle. Wayne Brown started in 1996 and again in 1998. Why was he not good enough to start in 1997? And yes, the first couple years that Flossie was here, the team was made up mostly of Barberton kids. The last three years there were more and more transfers and you see what the result was. The coaches you mentioned, Mike Brown is a good guy, I dont know Pat Herold but if you are going to call Pfeister a good coach, you are crazy.

As for my own coaching ability, I suggest you ask Darrel and Duane Welch, Wayne Brown, Poochie Harris, Nathan Hershberger, Mike Johnson, Ronnie Garnett, Chris Coleman etc...I will let them answer that question. Or maybe you could ask the coaches of Wadsworth, Manchester and Stow high schools since they all asked me to join their staffs. But, what do they know.

Also, I never said that everyone is wrong and I am always right. However, if you look at the things I have said about the likes of Flossie, Terry Presto and Pam Davis, I think you will find that I have been correct 9 out 10 times. As time goes by, you will see that I will have the same percentage with Jay Glaze. I dont have anything personal against Glaze or Presto.

Oh, and you were right about Bobby Hathaway, he played at Barberton from 1989-92.

Last edited by a moderator:
BHS98 said:
Was the purge dont at both the high school and youth levels? I have no idea of the politics or structure of the situation, so I don't know how it works. However, I played youth football here in the late 80's/early 90's and, looking back on it now, I think the coaches were pretty good, both from a football and personal development standpoint. And they were all Barberton guys, who cared more than just about winning. So hopefully they go the Barberton direction next time, if there is someone qualified to do it...

The purge was made against volunteer coaches. We were a bunch of guys who knew how to coach, understood Barberton football and were not selfish. I coached a year at high school and the next year I coached in pee-wee. That was the types of coaches we were, we went where we were needed and didnt complain. Some people didnt like that. Maybe it was because of my last name that Flossie hated me so much.

in regards to alltheway1, you have nothing against the kids in b-town, but
all you do is bash the ones you don't like and talk trash about parents
who have made something of themselves. are you jealous? do you not
have the energy to get out and make something of yourself, or are you
just good at playing "monday morning qb" to this town? b-town has a list
of problems. 1. this community is aging, why would young parents not from
b-town, want to move to b-town? acedemics?, i don't think so, jobs?, i don't
believe that is it, athletics?, no, to many parents who think they should coach, and to many observers who think they have the answers but do nothing. the last time i looked mike lee put alot of his personal time into this
town. the coach is the problem, but bashing fellow b-town members is not
the answer. maybe if you act nice mike lee will adopt you, you seem to have
an infatuation with his family?

titanman said:
in regards to alltheway1, you have nothing against the kids in b-town, but
all you do is bash the ones you don't like and talk trash about parents
who have made something of themselves. are you jealous? do you not
have the energy to get out and make something of yourself, or are you
just good at playing "monday morning qb" to this town? b-town has a list
of problems. 1. this community is aging, why would young parents not from
b-town, want to move to b-town? acedemics?, i don't think so, jobs?, i don't
believe that is it, athletics?, no, to many parents who think they should coach, and to many observers who think they have the answers but do nothing. the last time i looked mike lee put alot of his personal time into this
town. the coach is the problem, but bashing fellow b-town members is not
the answer. maybe if you act nice mike lee will adopt you, you seem to have
an infatuation with his family?
First off titanman, you will not find a post that states that I dislike Mike Lee. I have said many times that I do not know the kid; I only know that he is not a good QB. Truth hurts sometimes! Second, I have not talked trash of any parents. If you think success is buying your way in, you are wrong....it should be earned. I have no reason to be jealous since I am a business owner myself. With that said maybe I should outbid Lee and give a more qualified kid a chance at the position! :D

you see, you do have an infatuation. is it the kids faught that he was
named starting qb? should he of said no?, the kid he beat out last year
is the backup, on the jv squad at buchtel. now as for his dad, i believe he
grew up in b-town, owns a business in b-town, employ's people who live in
b-town. generates tax dollars for b-town, put's his own time back into
the community, and yes supports the athletic program, at the request of the school system. is all of this a bad thing?, or do you just make blanket statements without proof? when the levies fail, the schools look to the local businesses for support. i suppose you know this as the business owner that
your are.:party:

titanman said:
you see, you do have an infatuation. is it the kids faught that he was
named starting qb? should he of said no?, the kid he beat out last year
is the backup, on the jv squad at buchtel. now as for his dad, i believe he
grew up in b-town, owns a business in b-town, employ's people who live in
b-town. generates tax dollars for b-town, put's his own time back into
the community, and yes supports the athletic program, at the request of the school system. is all of this a bad thing?, or do you just make blanket statements without proof? when the levies fail, the schools look to the local businesses for support. i suppose you know this as the business owner that
your are.:party:
You are putting words in my mouth that I have not said. If you would go back and read my posts.....I have never blamed the kid for playing the position; I blamed the one who put him there. There is a difference. I have stated that the money and donations put him at QB. It is great that the man supports the program and I have never said it to be a bad thing. How long would you continue to support the program if they decided that your kid was not good enough and sat him on the bench instead of playing him on the field???? It does not take a real genius to figure that out. With what Mike Lee has done for the program comes a slight obligation!!!!! Barberton does not want to lose him as a sponsor.......so there you have it. You can sugar coat the situation all you want; everyone in B-Town knows the story behind this. :p P.S. - Only a father could think his son was that good!!! :D

Let me add this, I have nothing against Mike Lee, I went to school with his dad who is two years younger than me and his uncle who is my age. I also knew his moms side of the family as well. My problem with Mike Lee starting last year is that it shows that there is no semblance of a program when, in your fourth year as coach, you are starting a freshman QB!

frecriss, that is a good point. After four years you should have a QB ready to play and not throw a freshman in there. That does show a lack of work on a coach's part. I've never said I agree with Glaze's decisions, he has/had (don't know if he's still there) the Eberhart guy working there and that guy never even played football. I'll never understand how guys that didn't play the game (high school, college, pro - whichever) can teach and coach the game the right way. From a book? I'll tell everyone a secret - not directed at anyone specifically - only about 1 in 4 "assistant high school coaches" really know the game of football. I remember a coach at Norton a few years ago that got his offense from an internet site. I've seen the result of bad coaching, I mean really bad "go-get-um defenses". Guys that have 9 formations and run 1 or 2 playes out of each one. Once you see those results, you might change you're heart about Glaze and Flossie. Flossie couldn't be that bad or a guy like Jay Brophy would not give up head coaching jobs to stay on as an assistant with him.

I have not been a pee-wee coach for some time, but of the kids who played QB for me, one of them was a two year starter at QB(Wayne Brown), another had a good basketball career(Scotty Ferguson) and another was the starting RB a couple years ago(Mike Johnson). See, when I was coahing pee-wee and middle school and high school, we developed talent. We didnt take strong MLB's(Alvis Walker) and move them the DE. We didnt take kids who are natural Safeties(Terron Robinson) and move them to DE. the fact is, there is no development of players in Barberton anymore and I dont just mean at the high school level. Back in the late 90's, there were 11 of us who were told our services as football coaches were no longer needed. We were all former players who did what needed to be done. If we were needed at pee-wee we coached there, if it was middle school we went there, if it was high school, we coached there. Since we were let go, Barberton football has gone in the crapper. And who pays for it? the kids who go out and get humiliated every friday night. These kids deserve better!!! Looking at the responses from many of you, it is no wonder why Barberton fails academically, athletically and as a community. You accept failure, I dont!

Cry babies?????? So wanting what is best for the kids of my community means I am a crybaby? And what success did Glaze have at Springfield? he had a stud RB and no competition. Also, I believe he went 3-7 his last year out there.
You coached football? No way

frecriss, that is a good point. After four years you should have a QB ready to play and not throw a freshman in there. That does show a lack of work on a coach's part. I've never said I agree with Glaze's decisions, he has/had (don't know if he's still there) the Eberhart guy working there and that guy never even played football. I'll never understand how guys that didn't play the game (high school, college, pro - whichever) can teach and coach the game the right way. From a book? I'll tell everyone a secret - not directed at anyone specifically - only about 1 in 4 "assistant high school coaches" really know the game of football. I remember a coach at Norton a few years ago that got his offense from an internet site. I've seen the result of bad coaching, I mean really bad "go-get-um defenses". Guys that have 9 formations and run 1 or 2 playes out of each one. Once you see those results, you might change you're heart about Glaze and Flossie. Flossie couldn't be that bad or a guy like Jay Brophy would not give up head coaching jobs to stay on as an assistant with him.
Dumb take. Who is Jay Brody?

I have not been a pee-wee coach for some time, but of the kids who played QB for me, one of them was a two year starter at QB(Wayne Brown), another had a good basketball career(Scotty Ferguson) and another was the starting RB a couple years ago(Mike Johnson). See, when I was coahing pee-wee and middle school and high school, we developed talent. We didnt take strong MLB's(Alvis Walker) and move them the DE. We didnt take kids who are natural Safeties(Terron Robinson) and move them to DE. the fact is, there is no development of players in Barberton anymore and I dont just mean at the high school level. Back in the late 90's, there were 11 of us who were told our services as football coaches were no longer needed. We were all former players who did what needed to be done. If we were needed at pee-wee we coached there, if it was middle school we went there, if it was high school, we coached there. Since we were let go, Barberton football has gone in the crapper. And who pays for it? the kids who go out and get humiliated every friday night. These kids deserve better!!! Looking at the responses from many of you, it is no wonder why Barberton fails academically, athletically and as a community. You accept failure, I dont!

Cry babies?????? So wanting what is best for the kids of my community means I am a crybaby? And what success did Glaze have at Springfield? he had a stud RB and no competition. Also, I believe he went 3-7 his last year out there.
You played football at Barberton?

You played football at Barberton?
I did. And I am one of the guys mentioned in the first post of this thread back in 06. Jay Glaze was an offensive mind but he could not get most players to buy in and a lot of guys we could have used, especially on the line , didn't come out because of all the politics. Same in basketball, I cannot tell you how many studs didn't play either due to grades or just all of the politics you see in high school sports, or at any level for that matter.

I was apart of the 04-05 team that went 7-3 and had to forfeit all of our games because of an "ineligible" player. That player, Joe Hanse, came from Norton and was a very skilled middle line-backer. I believe his transfer papers were not filed correctly which made him ineligible. We would not have been as good without him.

In the years following, guys just didn't come out and it really effected our team morale. When Mike Lee was named the starter over Brandon Jackson, that prompted Jordan Bell, Tbell, and Brandon Jackson to transfer out. The program moved Brandon from running back and groomed him to be a quarterback. He had been patiently waiting for 2-3 years to get his opportunity and he was snubbed because (1). Barberton was not ready to see a black starting quarterback and (2) because Mike Lee Sr. was one of the main sponsors for the lights and various signs you see around the soccer and football fields to this day.

Had Glaze named Brandon Jackson as the starter as he should, then Jordan Bell, Brandon Jackson, and TBell wouldn't have left. And that's something I can say with confidence as I was close to all of them at the time and they told me their reasons for leaving Barberton. That, and because Coach Brown at Buchtel was actively recruiting a lot of skill players at Barberton as he had with Antonio Pittman in the prior years. He was able to get Antonia to transfer to Buchtel just a few years before. We all know how that turned out, Antonio got a full ride to Ohio State and eventually went on to the pro's for a few years.

So I guess it was a combination of all three reasons.

In any event, it really didn't matter (that year was a wash) because the next year another freshmen Quarterback was named the starter over Mike Lee Jr. Kyle Snyder was a great Quarterback, ended up getting a full ride to Ohio University. He beat out Mike because Kyle was clearly the better quarterback as a freshmen then Mike was as a Junior and Mike was moved back to FB and MLB where he should have been in the first place. Kyle was elusive and he had a great arm as a freshmen. He reminded me a lot of Garret Banks in the fact that he could pass well and could scramble a little. Garret being the better runner.

Garret was a baseball player converted QB and was very successful. Garret, however, had the better offensive line and skilled players But Kyle was a true QB and was groomed to be one all throughout pee-wee and middle school football. Talking to Jordan Bell even to this day would have loved to play with Kyle Snyder. He was a better QB then 1040's at the time. Buchtel's QB was Glenn Campbell, extremely talented dual threat quarterback. He just did not have the arm Snyder had.

Last edited: