Why cant Glaze win?

U

username123

Just a thought. Luke Thompson, Jordan Bell, Steve Pitts and Matt Fortner all played on a league champion basketball team. Zach Zupancic, Joey Parra, Matt Rowe, Adam Cogar, Anthony Medzi, Tim Robinson and Mike Gabel all wrestled for a league champion. These kids are all skilled enough in athletics to win league championships in Wrestling and Basketball, so why couldnt Glaze win a single league game when he had all of the above on his roster?

u know what frecriss i have to ask the same question. But on another topic how long will the barberton community let JAY GLAZE stay there. He is obviously not the right coach for the job. He is losing players left and right and it is not even the players on the bench. he is losing 2 year starters. THAT SHOULD SPEAK FOR ITSELF IF YOU ARE LOSING PLAYERS AND NOT GAINING ANY. I really must ask how longer can JAY GLAZE stay. Barberton from what i hear is know for the basketball and football. And only one is talking and producing champs. Doesn't the community see that he is wrong for the job.JUST HOW LONGER CAN HE STAY AROUND???????????????????????

We will get rid of Glaze, it just may take another year or two. Trust me, the "Glaze Days" are numbered. Lets just hope that the damage is not irreversable and the RIGHT guy is hired.

The group of people that I am with have done some good things over the last few years.

Not to ruffle any feathers, but if the people you are with that have done some good things over the past 2 years means get rid of some coaches, why aren't you guys filling any of those positions? You seem to know what you want in a coach, but never seem to be willing to step it up to the plate. It is always easy to sit back and criticize, ridivule, and say what is wrong with the programs, but it is a lot tougher to put your money where your mouth is and do the job. I know Glaze isn't the greatest coach, he only won at Springfield when he had a couple stud players. He has yet to win in Barberton. But all I ever read is how bad he is and they should run this offense, run this defense, and they would be fine then. I think the problems in Barberton run alot deeper than just who is in charge of the football team. Sometimes the factions that are trying to run people out of toen are too busy doing that than actually trying to help out. I don't know ifthat is the case here, just offering some possibility on what I see on here. No intents of starting anything negative.

At the risk of causing a ripple in the pond - why is it the current trend to want to get rid of Glaze?

Very few people let coaches truly COACH the way they need to promote the winning program folks love to brag about. Is this a possible scenario? (just asking - into softball myself..)

the last two posts were very well put and bring up some thoughts...why are these kids leaving? why would kids transfer out to buchtel? as a high school athlete you want to be the best around...the wrestlers that arent playing football left because they have a chance to be state champion in their respective weight class...these football players that went to buchtel have a chance to make it to the state title game...everyone who isnt playing has their own reason for not playing at barberton anymore...they want to make their dream a reality and be called the best...players have had these choices to make for as long as ive been involved with barberton sports...its just that all 10 of them have made the choice not to stay...jay glaze is a human just like all of us who make mistakes on a daily basis...all ive heard for the past year is mike lee this mike lee that...mike lee obviously shiowed something in camp (regardless of the rumors) to win the starting qb job...everybody was just so caught up in the season garrett had that failure was unacceptable...barberton since matt jenson has not had a true qb...and yes csepe would have done well but he made that same choice to go copley before glaze was there...when jay glazes time is up at barberton i will applaud his hard work and effort with the little talent he had...look at it from his shoes hes been the center of attention for 4 years now...not the players...its the coaches job to call the plays but its the players job to execute...when the players dont execute it makes the coach look like an idiot...prepared or not how hard is it to hit the guy in front of you...so next time a glaze bashing takes place by anyone look at whether or not the players are doing their job becausei think youll be suprised...now to the players above who arent playing i wish them the best of luck but for close minded people they didnt leave because of glaze they left because there were better opportunities...a true barberton magic plays for themself and their team not for their coach...these guys are old enough to make that decision and it proves that they are not magics football players...they dont care about the tradition...im sure feedback will insue

I am certain that Barberton wants to root for Barberton people and Barberton kids. The way I see it, the kids that want to leave, leave. They are selfish in that they only see the way things are now. They do not want to stay and BUILD something. They want the instant gratification of winning now, whether they will play or not. Where they could sdtay and play and be a part of something special, whether it is under Glaze or someone else. I think too many people think the grass is greener elsewhere only to find the exact opposite. Opportunities are what people make of them. You have an opportunity to advance in your job, you go for it. High school sports is not like a job, let's get that straight here. Everyone says "I need my son to get a college scholarship", and they think the only way that is going to happen is on the field of competition. Why not in the field of the classroom?? There are more scholarships delved out every year for academics than all sports combined! But everyone has this "athletic scholarship" mindset and that they have to send their kid to this place or that place to get one. BS. If the kid is good enough, he will get the opprtunity to be looked at and considered by schools at the next level.

Glaze is a lame-duck coach this year, if you ask me. I think the people in the community were so glad to see Flossie go that they were fine with whoever they chose. But now they have turned and they will want new blood next year.

With all this talk about how the Coach is terrible, why wouldn't you want to leave? Lets be real here. If I kept hearing about how horrible a HS Coach is, and I had the opportunity to go elsewhere to play for a better Coach, I'd do it. I would not want my kid playing for somebody who is getting all this bad Publicity, not to mention, Barberton has not been very good lately. If your team is going 2-8, or 3-7 year in and year out, you probably do not have many good athletes on the team, therefore, not many College Scouts attend the games, therefore, not as many opportunities at an Athletic Scholarship. If my son can achieve an Athletic and Academic Scholarship, I will do my best to help him get it. Loyalty to your community does not mean you have to play for the local Team. Loyalty to your son however, means you should assist him in every possible way, to help him succeed in life, and a College Scholarship, will help pave the way in this day and age.

One example is Glenville. I think they had 21(maybe more), D1 Scholarships given to their football team last year. 21!! Are you kidding me? They still didn't even win States. Do you think if half those kids attended surrounding Cleveland public schools, they would have received that much exposure? My answer to that is no. Glenville has a reputation for having athletes, and when scouts look for Athletes, to go to schools like Glenville first.

Just asking frecriss: as one viewing this from the outside looking in, who would you prefer to see as the next head football coach? It seems that your group has enough influence to facilitate the departure of coaches. Why can't you exert the same kind of influence to facilitate the hiring of the coach your group feels is the best fit. Who is the coach of choice in your group?

Let me answer a few things.

CaseFB62-I agree with alot of what you say and the players to bare some of the responsibility. However, it is Jay Glaze and Jay Glaze alone who does not condition the team properly and runs the Fullback up the middle 20 times per game. In 2002, Barberton trailed Garfield 21-14 at half. Early in the third quarter, Garfield botched a snap on a shotgun and Barberton recovered at the Garfield 7 yard yard line. What did Glaze do? He ran the FB up the middle four straight times and turned the ball over on downs. He did the same thing this past season against Firestone inside the 10 yard line and also ran the FB straight up the middle on 4th and 6 from the Green 27 yardline. That kind of playcalling is pathetic. Now, if the players dont know the tradition of Barberton football, then the coaches should teach it to them. I could tell you the starting lineup for the 1947 state championship team when I was 10 years old. Why? Because my coaches in pee-wee taught me. Also, the choices Glaze has made when it comes to scheduling is nothing more than gutless.

Take It 2 Tha Bank-The people that I associate with have done a very good job over the last 5 or 6 years. The problem is that, while we can pressure the BOE to get rid of a coach, we cannot do any hiring. The BOE did not budge the last two times they have hired a Football Coach, they did not listen to us and we got Flossie and Glaze instead of Dennison and Yost. Now, you tell me who would have been better. Things are changing as several newer members of the BOE actually see what we have been seeing for years.

bedevil-CaseFB62 and I actually agree on who should be the next head coach. He currently is a head coach and was a star player for Barberton in the early 80's.

I really dont want to throw out his name, but our stadium is named after his dad.

I do not know if he applied the last time. The only applicants that I knew about were the four finalists and he was not on that list. I do know that he would apply if the job were to come open.

Ok, now for some rather brittle questions. I feel I have to ask these. You know the affection I hold for Barberton, but as an outsider, there is a perception of the program that I hope is exaggerated or just plain wrong, but here goes: Why would this coach even want to come to Barberton other than sentimentality? What is the appeal? Is the youth program still as barren as it was a few years ago? Is the school and town population still diminishing? Wouldn't the "shelf life" of recent coaches and the manner in which they left town make him a little hesitant to coach in that atmosphere? Is he a good enough coach to entertain offers from schools other than that of the school where his fathjer coached? Realistically, how much rebuilding still needs to be done before they are playoff competitive? Why wasn't he near the top of the list a few years ago if he is such an attractive candidate and, obviously, no stranger to the Barberton community?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I don't think they are unfair.

No, they are not unfair questions and I will try to answer them.

1. Why would he want to come here? Because there is alot of talent in Barberton, it is just going to other districts right now. A coach that knows Barberton and its history/traditions would be able to keep alot of this talent home.

2. The youth program is fine right now as far as I can see.

3. Barberton as a community is coming back and over the next 5 years will make huge strides. As the community regains its strength, the schools will also make alot of progress.

4. The "shelf life" of recent coaches has alot to do with the BOE, the last three coaches we have had never should have been hired in the first place. Since several newer members have been elected, things have gotten better.

5. Is he attractive to other schools? I believe he will be in the near future.

6. How much rebuilding? Not that much, just a matter of keeping the talent in town and knowing what to do with it.

7. Why was he not at the top of the list last time? . I dont believe he had any head coaching experience at that time and the BOE at that time was not known for making great decisions. Thats why we got Flossie instead of Dennison and Glaze instead of Yost. Thats why the BOE needs to get off its rear and hire this guy before someone else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
why cant we get rid of Glaze

casefb62 the wrestlers have made it clear ,that Glaze is there reason for not playing football. The lone exeption is Tyler Dalton. He will play because his love for football is greater than his hate of Glaze. The kids that went to be Griffins left because of Glaze as well. And I am someone who heard this directly out of there mouths.

coaching change

responding to blue devil. Earlier this month at b-towns camp when Rudy (his father ) runs a 1 day camp that Big Blue Qb caoch and Btown alumn comes home for every year. The afformentioned coach express an interest in coaching here while drawing up some of him plays for us. As he watch the Freshman to be throw the ball. Because his offence is the spread and it helps to have a strongarmed,accurate, & athletic Qb. Also he applied when Glaze was hired while he was an assistant in Canton.

Like I stated earlier, if you and your "group" have been so vocal and so ignored by the BOE, then why not run for the BOE when the elections come up and you can hqave your voice heard and heard and heard again? I still see a bunch of people trying to run someone who they feel is not doing the job the way "they" want it done. So why not ante up and run for the BOE or apply for the coaching position wheen Glaze is run?

Barberton sounds a lot like the "great" Cleveland Browns fans when Belichick was there and he was horrible and couldn't coach. Well, 3 Super Bowl titels later, I would bet he is hapy now!

Ithink the people of Barberton need ot just relax and support the kids, and hope that the first Suburban League win comes this fall.

I was one of the "purged" coaches from the late 90's so applying for a position is futile at this time. I will not run for election to the BOE but I am considering a run for city council in 2008 and an associate of mine is running for election to the BOE in 2007.

frecriss said:
I was one of the "purged" coaches from the late 90's so applying for a position is futile at this time. I will not run for election to the BOE but I am considering a run for city council in 2008 and an associate of mine is running for election to the BOE in 2007.

Barberton needs some younger people to run for city council and for the BOE. The councilmen for my ward wins simply because of his name. I swear the guy is like 95 years old!

It's time for a change!!!

Take It 2 Tha Bank said:
Barberton sounds a lot like the "great" Cleveland Browns fans when Belichick was there and he was horrible and couldn't coach. Well, 3 Super Bowl titels later, I would bet he is hapy now!

Ithink the people of Barberton need ot just relax and support the kids, and hope that the first Suburban League win comes this fall.

fyi...
Barberton DOES have alot of "GREAT" fans!
There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for our children!

Take it to tha bank, as someone who knows the kids and is among the kids, they are so sick and tired of Glaze that from last year's roster, not counting seniors, there are roughly 30 kids that are not playing football this year because of the politics that Glaze is doing with the quarterback position.
In trying to get rid of Glaze, we ARE supporting the kids because they are speaking by their absence that Glaze must go.

Well, the kids are really not very bright then. It doesn't appear that Glaze is going anywhere, yet these kids are missing out on playing the greatest team game ever invented. the kids don't have "next year" forever. So who is really losing out? Yeah, Glaze might not have the kids out and may not win again, but he could be back. The kids that will be seniors don't have that opportunity. Seems like the only ones losing here are the kids who are not playing.

The problem is that alot of these kids wont play! Why bust your butt in 95 degree heat all summer only to sit the bench while a less deserving kid plays?

The kids that are not playing are those that know that after they graduate thats it for football any way. They have come to accept it sooner rather than later. Those with a chance to play at the next level are the ones transfering. So point of fact the kids who count on football for thier chance at a college education are not missing out.

frecriss said:
The problem is that alot of these kids wont play! Why bust your butt in 95 degree heat all summer only to sit the bench while a less deserving kid plays?
YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!! The kids are not loosing out because they are not getting to play. Come to Barberton with MONEY........and your kid will play. How corrupt is that for High School sports????

So the only ones that are playing football think they have a chance to play in college? They have a harsh reality in front of them then. I hope Barberton can turn it around, either under this guy, or with a new one in a year or 2. But I don't see it. Barberton has not been really solid in 10 years or more, and the 1 team they were decent with in the last 10 was when Floissie got guys from all over the place to come to Barberton.Good Luck on your vendetta, and I plan on seeing Barberton in the W column a few times in the SL this year!