Why arent field events split over two days at the state meet like at Districts and Regionals

D1. 5 in both zero double placers. Average 8.9

D2 9 in both, 3 double placers. 33%. Average 7.22

D3 7 in both. 4 double placers. 57%. 6.29 average

2021. (didn't all 3 divisions split days? Maybe division matters more than same day or split days)
D1 8 in both. 3 double placers. 38%. 7.31 average

D2 9 in both. 3 double placers. 33% 9.0 average

D3 8 in both. 4 double placers. 50% 7.62 average

D1 8 in both. 3 double placers. 38% 7.875 average

D2 6 in both. 1 double placer. 17% 9.42 average

D3 8 in both. 3 double placers.38% 8.313 average

D1 8 in both. 3 double placers 38% 5.94 average

D2 3 in both, 1 double placer 33% 8.0 average

D3 6 in both, 3 double placers 50% 7.8 average

For the Boys. 5 year average.
D1 = 38 Double qualifiers and 11 double placers. 29%
D2 = 37 Double qualifiers and 10 double placers. 27%
D3 = 35 Double qualifiers and 17 double placers. 49%

Original question: Why does D2 only get this benefit?

Seems like D2 is at the disadvantage. There is no benefit to split days vs same day.

Last edited:
Ill use the state champion in girls discus D3 as an example. She won the discus and didnt make finals in shot even though she was ranked high in the event. I know you have to go out and perform but there is little time for recovery after prelims, finals, trip to the podium then back to the venue.
In the same event. The girl that was 4th in Disc was 3rd in the Shot. 5th in Disc was 5th in shot, 7th in Disc was 7th in shot.

I'll let you do the work, but from what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be a disadvantage. There might be for a specific individual, but it seems to cut both ways. I'll wait and hold off final judgement until I see your numbers, but I'm not seeing an issue.

Psycho_dad, when i get some time im going to look at the numbers and see what i can see

I have a second question based on my conversation with my wife.

How many people who are responding to this are throwing coaches?

Psycho_dad, when i get some time im going to look at the numbers and see what i can see

I was a throws coach. I went back an pulled stats from our throwers. Ones I coached and ones that our current throws coach has had. There is no pattern. Best Thrower ever Threw Pr's School Records in a meet where he threw on the same day. Then at the District where he threw with a day between events he threw PR's / School records again. Then at the Regional he threw bad for him in both and one was nearly a season worst in the shot. His second worst effort of the season and only 1" off of his worst. Finished 2nd at the state in the Disc but had thrown better twice. The main thing was Place. He was consistent in his placing for 3 seasons with only a few outliers. The biggest being at the Regional. He places at the State with quite a few of his performances at dual meets etc. Kids have a progression through seasons and it's different per kid. Many kids that perform well in big competitions and some that did not at all.

I do not see a pattern with my own throwers that would say they do better or worse with a days rest or going straight from One to the other in the same day.

Last edited:

I am not a throws coach (although I have coached throws). I have coached throwers at the state meet, but only one in my time as a head coach who threw both implements at the same state meet. I went back and looked at data from my athletes at our OCC meet (two days), district (one day) and regional meet (two days). There is no pattern for performance between one day and two days when considering all the athletes who threw at the regional (p =.5665) nor for all the athletes who threw at OCC and District (p=.4994) since 2009. I may try looking only at athletes who only really liked throwing one of the implements.

Last edited:

What do your numbers say?

What do your numbers say?
This is a time consuming process and im still figuring out what statistical information is best

The stats will be in from the second event competed on that day
Division 1 boys disc
9 boys participated in both
2 double score (22%), 1 PR
Two plus throws and one even throw from regionals
Average loss from regionals was -8ft
Average loss from PR as -12ft

Division 1 girls shot
6 in both events
1 double score (17%), one + 8 in from regional
Two girls foul out (40’9 and 42’)
Average loss from regional -2ft