Who Remembers Khetag Pliev?

Abdullah

One of most dominant wrestlers in history of Ohio but seldom mentioned when all time greats are discussed. Immigrated from Russia and won 2 state titles by pin and tech fall.

Also won national championships. Witness 2002 victory below, unbelievable strength, grit, ability.

Does anyone know what became of Khetag after his high school career?

Alhamdulillah

Was there some question that he was a man among boys ? I was not in tune with him during his high school years

Wrestled for Marion Pleasant as an underclass men. Didn't quite get folk style but still freakishly good. Once he figured it out he was unbelievable. Made it look easy. I think he beat Nick Terbay from Carroll HS in the finals, who was pretty damn good himself.

There was a thread back in 2012 when he wrestled in the Olympics. It was stated that he spent time at both Princeton and Pleasant before attending Lakota East.

Pretty sure he was at Pleasant his freshman year at least. Remember one of our kids wrestling him at the Desales Classic.

He wrestled at Princeton as a freshman until he left (believe he went to state at 145 lbs.), then went to Marion for a brief time and finally went to East for Coach Latessa and won 2 titles.

was in fargo the year he dominated out there --i won $20 on him, coming out of fargo camp
at St Eds i told Don Lorence of Titan club, this guy will win it. Don was skeptical not having seen him in freestyle. I said for $20 i'll take Khetag and u can have the rest of the field.

Don was down south on vacation when the late Mike Vash called him to tell him Pliev won it. Don was dumbfounded, he thought Vash was kiding, but thats how good a freestyler Pliev was. From Ohio as good as ive seen high school age.

was in fargo the year he dominated out there --i won $20 on him, coming out of fargo camp
at St Eds i told Don Lorence of Titan club, this guy will win it. Don was skeptical not having seen him in freestyle. I said for $20 i'll take Khetag and u can have the rest of the field.

Don was down south on vacation when the late Mike Vash called him to tell him Pliev won it. Don was dumbfounded, he thought Vash was kiding, but thats how good a freestyler Pliev was. From Ohio as good as ive seen high school age.

You made a good pick there Mr Preusse. I can just imagine Mike Vash telling Don that and the look on is face. But that was before selfies! I happened to be there in Fargo as well and spent some good time with the Caponi's and that guy from Minerva.

From the 2001 Brakeman Report

171 #

Projected Champion: Hetag Pliev (Lakota East)

Top Contenders

2 M. Kallai (Wadsworth)
3 Camargo (Berea)
4 Lukens (Moeller)
5 Fairman (Mayfield)
6 Cesear (Amherst)
7 Snyder (Massillon Perry)
8 Westbeld (Fairmont)
9 Bartlett (Wapakoneta)
10 Grutsch (Thomas Worthington)
11 Miller (Bedford)
12 Haws (Butler)
13 Garcia (Libbey)
14 Henderson (Solon)
15 Swift (St. Edward)
16 Andy (Ashland)
17 Tucker (Cofman)
18 Edwards (Mansfield Madison)
19 Crowthers (Mt. Vernon)
20 Oravec (Padua)
21 Gregorek (Lorain Southview)
22 Saylor (Fairfield)
23 Schoolcraft (East Liverpool)
24 May (Elder)
25 Alexander (Howland)
26 Carpenter (Maumee)
27 Woltz (Logan)
28 Baute (St. Xavier)

Bach wrote six suites for unaccompanied cello - - they were nearly lost, the original manuscript was never found, and only a few copies handwritten by his wife made it through. Once rediscovered, they were, for the longest time, simply ignored, mistaken for exercise etudes. Then, at the age of 13, the prodigy Pablo Casals was rummaging around in a second hand shop in Barcelona, and he found a dusty copy of these pieces he had never heard of. He bought them, took them home, studied them and was later to describe the experience as the greatest revelation of his life. He worked at them every day for 12 years until he had the courage to play them in public, and then he seemed to never stop performing them, and with absolutely intimidating authority. These pieces have become to cellists what Shakespeare’s plays are to actors or Rembrandt’s painting to painters - - the foundation of the repertoire, the music that can be returned to and never exhaust.

Thus, it was on the slender threads of chance that one of the great musical works can be enjoyed today. My question, in this connection is whether it was the slender threads of chance that catapulted Nick Lukens to a state title last year. Make no mistake, Lukens earned that title with solid wrestling and masterful match management. Still he was a district 3rd losing to Clemens 9-0 in the semi-finals for his sixth loss. Then after capturing 3rd place by a point he won four bouts at Columbus - - two in overtime and the other two by a total of three points. In the finale he defeated Clemens with an overtime takedown. This year he was pinned by Rios at the Beast of the East, barely defeated Chambers in the semi-finals before being thumped by Keough 7-1 in the SWOCA finals,and then was majored by Rios 13-5 in the dual meet. All this was at 189#. At the CIT he dropped to 171, but lost to Morrison, 13-5 in the finals although the first week after his cut might have proven difficult. Again, at Easton, he lost two out of three to drop his record to 14-7.

There are three other challengers. Kallai was freshman of the year in 1999 when he was a district champ at 145# and the finished 3rd at Columbus losing only to three-time titlist Ty Morgan. Last year at 160# he repeated as district champ, but was a disappointing 6th at States losing twice to Stephens. This year he won at Wadsworth and Mayfield, but was 5th at the Top Gun. He has split two one-point bouts with Camargo. He s clearly the biggest Kallai that we’ve seen in the past 30 years.

Camargo is a great looking athlete with tremendous upside potential. He was a district champion at this weight class last year and beat Pliev in the first round 12-11--losses to Hallahan and Clift then quickly eliminated him. This year he was 2nd (to Kallai) at Wadsworth and won at the Top Gun. He’s a real “horse” at this weight.

Pliev is truly amazing. A recent Russian emigrant, he likes only free-style and is negative on the way we conduct high school bouts. He is only a junior, but already a two-time state qualifier, though never a placer. At Brecksville, weighing 180 pounds, he tossed the 189’s, good ones like Nagel, Poe and Robertson, all over the mat. He made it look frighteningly easy. I can’t imagine what he’ll do at 171# nor, frankly, can anyone else. There is a certain inconsistency to his performance - - sometimes almost a certain lack of interest.

So where do we stand? Where we always seem to in recent years at this weight class, in a state of confusion shaking our head at the number of options. This has been a jinx weight class in recent years with surprises like Lukens and Osolin winning. My original choice was Kallai based on consistency and experience, with Camargo almost an equal co-favorite. But how can you overlook Pliev’s dominating performances where he shreds first-class wrestlers. I worry about his focus and his predilection for unusual losses, but he has to be the choice.. Lukens is extremely intelligent - - as witness, his Stanford acceptance (my 11th grade daughter is terribly jealous) and, I’m sure will right the ship. However, the slender threads of probability are not often repeatable.

Kallai and Camargo stand tall at Perry, but Snyder is a strong third choice. He has good placement potential. Miller is somewhat overshadowed by Mahone at Bedford, but he has had a great season winning a number of tournaments. His only disappointment was at Medina where he didn’t seem ready. Henderson and Oravec have both been impressive, but there is not a lot of qualification room. Alexander and Tesch are both good long-shot choices.

Pliev and Lukens should dominate at Fairfield. Two Dayton entrants, Westbeld and Haws, look to be next best although Haws stumbled recently against Tesch. Should any of this top group falter Saylor, May and Baute wait in the wings. Gadd at 19-4 is a possibility here. Clum (Greenville) would have been a qualification threat here, but shoulder surgery has apparently erased his season.

It is very confusing at Mentor. Fairman and the undefeated Cesear look to be best, but both have some issues - - particularly the strength of Cesear’s schedule. State qualifier Edwards was 6th at the Top Gun and 5th at the Gorman and may struggle to qualify. Bartlett was a state alternate last year and should play an important part at this district. Garcia, Carpenter, Andy and Akenberger (Bowsher) are strong Toledo entrants, but the real mystery is Swift. He has beaten some strong boys but he also falls victim to first period pins. Avoiding that he might make it through this crowded field.

There is very little at Darby. Tucker is rated first in the Columbus area , but Swift and Snyder pinned him at the Ohio Duals and he lost early at Medina. I’ve also listed Crowthers and Grutsch in my Top Twenty, but this is a district you’ll want to draw into at Co

Last edited:

Bach wrote six suites for unaccompanied cello - - they were nearly lost, the original manuscript was never found, and only a few copies handwritten by his wife made it through. Once rediscovered, they were, for the longest time, simply ignored, mistaken for exercise etudes. Then, at the age of 13, the prodigy Pablo Casals was rummaging around in a second hand shop in Barcelona, and he found a dusty copy of these pieces he had never heard of. He bought them, took them home, studied them and was later to describe the experience as the greatest revelation of his life. He worked at them every day for 12 years until he had the courage to play them in public, and then he seemed to never stop performing them, and with absolutely intimidating authority. These pieces have become to cellists what Shakespeare’s plays are to actors or Rembrandt’s painting to painters - - the foundation of the repertoire, the music that can be returned to and never exhaust.

Borofan and Bucksman are great, but, sadly, the days of Brakeman are gone. The stories he'd tell in his writings were special.

Love Don! Reminds me of Greg Urbas. Salt of the earth in the NE Ohio wrestling community.

What you guys may not know about Pleiv is that before Brakeman predicted his championship, The Brankman predicted his immigration from Russia as well as the 2 transfers before settling at Lakota East.

One of most dominant wrestlers in history of Ohio but seldom mentioned when all time greats are discussed. Immigrated from Russia and won 2 state titles by pin and tech fall.

Also won national championships. Witness 2002 victory below, unbelievable strength, grit, ability.

Alhamdulillah
Khetag now runs a wrestling room in Monroe, Ohio. He is also the assistant wrestling coach at Kings high school near Mason, Ohio. I've been taking my grandson (sophomore) to train there. Look up Team Pliev Wrestling.

Alhamdulillah
Lokata East?

There are three other challengers. Kallai was freshman of the year in 1999 when he was a district champ at 145# and the finished 3rd at Columbus losing only to three-time titlist Ty Morgan. Last year at 160# he repeated as district champ, but was a disappointing 6th at States losing twice to Stephens. This year he won at Wadsworth and Mayfield, but was 5th at the Top Gun. He has split two one-point bouts with Camargo. He s clearly the biggest Kallai that we’ve seen in the past 30 years.
I feel so dumb. If Brakeman said it, it must be so.....It is the States tournament. What's next??? I bet people start calling St. Paris Graham a public school.

145-Princeton
171-Princeton
171-Pleasant to start, won state for Lakota East
189- Lakota East

I'm the same age/grade as Khetag and same weight our senior year. I never qualified to wrestle him at OHSAA state and I never got to wrestle him in freestyle, different weights. However, I don't remember the reason why he left Pleasant, but he did start there. I remember watching his match before mine at the CDWCA All-Star preview that year.

171 #

Projected Champion: Hetag Pliev (Lakota East)

Top Contenders

2 M. Kallai (Wadsworth)
3 Camargo (Berea)
4 Lukens (Moeller)
5 Fairman (Mayfield)
6 Cesear (Amherst)
7 Snyder (Massillon Perry)
8 Westbeld (Fairmont)
9 Bartlett (Wapakoneta)
10 Grutsch (Thomas Worthington)
11 Miller (Bedford)
12 Haws (Butler)
13 Garcia (Libbey)
14 Henderson (Solon)
15 Swift (St. Edward)
16 Andy (Ashland)
17 Tucker (Cofman)
18 Edwards (Mansfield Madison)
19 Crowthers (Mt. Vernon)
20 Oravec (Padua)
21 Gregorek (Lorain Southview)
22 Saylor (Fairfield)
23 Schoolcraft (East Liverpool)
24 May (Elder)
25 Alexander (Howland)
26 Carpenter (Maumee)
27 Woltz (Logan)
28 Baute (St. Xavier)

Thus, it was on the slender threads of chance that one of the great musical works can be enjoyed today. My question, in this connection is whether it was the slender threads of chance that catapulted Nick Lukens to a state title last year. Make no mistake, Lukens earned that title with solid wrestling and masterful match management. Still he was a district 3rd losing to Clemens 9-0 in the semi-finals for his sixth loss. Then after capturing 3rd place by a point he won four bouts at Columbus - - two in overtime and the other two by a total of three points. In the finale he defeated Clemens with an overtime takedown. This year he was pinned by Rios at the Beast of the East, barely defeated Chambers in the semi-finals before being thumped by Keough 7-1 in the SWOCA finals,and then was majored by Rios 13-5 in the dual meet. All this was at 189#. At the CIT he dropped to 171, but lost to Morrison, 13-5 in the finals although the first week after his cut might have proven difficult. Again, at Easton, he lost two out of three to drop his record to 14-7.

Camargo is a great looking athlete with tremendous upside potential. He was a district champion at this weight class last year and beat Pliev in the first round 12-11--losses to Hallahan and Clift then quickly eliminated him. This year he was 2nd (to Kallai) at Wadsworth and won at the Top Gun. He’s a real “horse” at this weight.

Pliev is truly amazing. A recent Russian emigrant, he likes only free-style and is negative on the way we conduct high school bouts. He is only a junior, but already a two-time state qualifier, though never a placer. At Brecksville, weighing 180 pounds, he tossed the 189’s, good ones like Nagel, Poe and Robertson, all over the mat. He made it look frighteningly easy. I can’t imagine what he’ll do at 171# nor, frankly, can anyone else. There is a certain inconsistency to his performance - - sometimes almost a certain lack of interest.

So where do we stand? Where we always seem to in recent years at this weight class, in a state of confusion shaking our head at the number of options. This has been a jinx weight class in recent years with surprises like Lukens and Osolin winning. My original choice was Kallai based on consistency and experience, with Camargo almost an equal co-favorite. But how can you overlook Pliev’s dominating performances where he shreds first-class wrestlers. I worry about his focus and his predilection for unusual losses, but he has to be the choice.. Lukens is extremely intelligent - - as witness, his Stanford acceptance (my 11th grade daughter is terribly jealous) and, I’m sure will right the ship. However, the slender threads of probability are not often repeatable.

Kallai and Camargo stand tall at Perry, but Snyder is a strong third choice. He has good placement potential. Miller is somewhat overshadowed by Mahone at Bedford, but he has had a great season winning a number of tournaments. His only disappointment was at Medina where he didn’t seem ready. Henderson and Oravec have both been impressive, but there is not a lot of qualification room. Alexander and Tesch are both good long-shot choices.

Pliev and Lukens should dominate at Fairfield. Two Dayton entrants, Westbeld and Haws, look to be next best although Haws stumbled recently against Tesch. Should any of this top group falter Saylor, May and Baute wait in the wings. Gadd at 19-4 is a possibility here. Clum (Greenville) would have been a qualification threat here, but shoulder surgery has apparently erased his season.

It is very confusing at Mentor. Fairman and the undefeated Cesear look to be best, but both have some issues - - particularly the strength of Cesear’s schedule. State qualifier Edwards was 6th at the Top Gun and 5th at the Gorman and may struggle to qualify. Bartlett was a state alternate last year and should play an important part at this district. Garcia, Carpenter, Andy and Akenberger (Bowsher) are strong Toledo entrants, but the real mystery is Swift. He has beaten some strong boys but he also falls victim to first period pins. Avoiding that he might make it through this crowded field.

There is very little at Darby. Tucker is rated first in the Columbus area , but Swift and Snyder pinned him at the Ohio Duals and he lost early at Medina. I’ve also listed Crowthers and Grutsch in my Top Twenty, but this is a district you’ll want to draw into at Co
Since this was a year my son wrestled Fargo and most of the Tournaments mentioned by Brakeman he was in but at 189 I have the actual brackets somewhere. Even Fargo FS and Greco. Top Gun/EOWL and a few more. Might dig them up someday!