Who is best fit for the NE8 moving forward.

Totally agree, no way WB or Salem want to jump from the EBC where they are top tier schools and go to NE8 and be middle to bottom. The only school who might jump out of the EBC is Minerva to something like the PAC 7.
Don’t let the Jefferson game fool you, West Branch is pumping every team in this league except South Range

Don’t let the Jefferson game fool you, West Branch is pumping every team in this league except South Range
I think people underestimate how good West Branch was last year because of the result of the Jefferson game where DeShields didn't play at all at DB, which made a huge difference in the outcome of the game. DeShields was solely responsible for the Canfield game being as close at it was, he was much more mobile at QB and played all game at DB.

I didn't say they were not good last year, but this is WB! They were the biggest cheerleaders to get Louisville out of the league because they wanted to be the top dogs. I was at the Niles vs WB game a few years ago and that was Niles only victory that year😂 Their not looking to leave the EBC because Poland, Hubbard, Struthers and SR beat them on most normal years.

WB is a solid program, but deshields is a generational player, the back up was ok, but he’s no deshields, and it’ll probably be a long time before they have a caliber of player like that again. Just like in canfields case they won’t be able to just replace Brock, it’s going to be very noticeable without both of those players.

Last year yes, normal years no shot. SR would have running clocked them if anyone is going to be realistic about it, I guess it’s easy for people who trash teams on this site when on their own team threads cry about not being to compete with teams like Lowellville lmao

@Buckeye Elite
There is no way South Range would put a running clock on West Branch with everyone including DeShields at 100%, DeShields could not play on defense at all against Jefferson and couldn't and didn't run at all either against Jefferson, things he does very well when healthy. South Range could probably do it against West Branch after DeShields got hurt and wasn't 100% anymore.

Last year yes, normal years no shot. SR would have running clocked them if anyone is going to be realistic about it, I guess it’s easy for people who trash teams on this site when on their own team threads cry about not being to compete with teams like Lowellville lmao
To be fair, I did say anyone except South Range

@Buckeye Elite
There is no way South Range would put a running clock on West Branch with everyone including DeShields at 100%, DeShields could not play on defense at all against Jefferson and couldn't and didn't run at all either against Jefferson, things he does very well when healthy. South Range could probably do it against West Branch after DeShields got hurt and wasn't 100% anymore.
Yes they would have, I know it was a scrimmage but that was also very very lopsided. WB would have never been close to getting SR to punt the ball. Like I said WB is a good program but last season SR was on another level. You always throw out when deshields played defense because it makes the Canfield win look better, congrats on beating them but nobody cares about your analysis of what would have happened. He also wouldn’t have done much in terms of stopping the run which is what teams had success doing against them

Hypothetically, at the beginning of the season, SR-WB would have been a good game. WB wasn't banged up and SR was still coming into their own. They didn't running clock US, CCC or Struthers. As the season progressed, they really hit their stride on both sides of the ball. By the end of the season SR would have probably clocked them. And since we're in hypotheticals -- early season WB vs Late Season SR -- I think it's close to a running clock. There's almost no way WB stops SR from scoring, so they'd need to pass the ball really well and score 3-4 TDs.

But, big picture, West Branch would definitely compete in the NE8. Salem would definitely have a middle tier ceiling. Both would nice additions. Neither is happening. And the NE8 as the NE7 is preferable to almost any other addition.

Canfield and WB was a good game last year. My guess, SR and WB would have been the same last year at week 1. I know the conference is okay at 7 teams right now and probably okay if Lakeview leaves and they go to 6. But the question is if the conference adds a new team or two who is the best fit? If certain schools like the status quo then by reading their post it would be Beaver Local. A little more challenging would be Salem and WB but to raise the bar in all sports the league needs to just add Canfield and Howland. I am sure that certain schools know that means the bar is set to high for their programs and it would never happen. It is sad because a league of Canfield, Howland, Niles, Girard, Poland, Struthers, Hubbard and SR would be a lot of fun in all sports.

I see that Struthers added a DB from Fitch who just transferred in. Don't know a lot about them. #78 Boila is looking good during his prep for the offseason. Should an exciting time for the Wildcats these next couple of years.
Boila has been moving big weight as you already know, such a good kid

If certain schools like the status quo then by reading their post it would be Beaver Local. A little more challenging would be Salem and WB but to raise the bar in all sports the league needs to just add Canfield and Howland. I am sure that certain schools know that means the bar is set to high for their programs and it would never happen. It is sad because a league of Canfield, Howland, Niles, Girard, Poland, Struthers, Hubbard and SR would be a lot of fun in all sports.
I'm certain the Hubbard faithful would welcome Howland and Canfield in with open arms, no doubt about it. It would definitely put a smile on the Hubbard AD's face as far as scheduling.

Hubbard already has a long term contract with Howland, should be no problem fitting in Canfield.

Good post Red-Lep.

Last edited:
Poland and South Range have won a state title in football and I believe SR won a baseball state title, what other state titles have NE8 schools won in any sport?

Poland and South Range have won a state title in football and I believe SR won a baseball state title, what other state titles have NE8 schools won in any sport?
SR in wrestling.
I think Softball and Soccer were State Runner-ups, but it was likely before entering the NE8.

To be fair, SR won duals title. Still counts!

Girard won hoops with Nick Cochran back in 1993 (I think….maybe 92).
Girard did win a state title in basketball in 1993, but Cochran was just finishing college then, and came on as an assistant coach. Girard alum Bob Krizancic was the Indians' coach that year, and he's still the head coach at Mentor. Here's a recent in-depth story reminiscing about Girard's magical run that year, from Vince Pellegrini at WKBN.com:

Last edited:
Girard did win a state title in basketball in 1993, but Cochran was just finishing college then, and came on as an assistant coach. Girard alum Bob Krizancic was the Indians' coach that year, and he's still the head coach at Mentor. Here's a recent in-depth story reminiscing about Girard's magical run that year, from Vince Pellegrini at WKBN.com:

Thanks! I knew Cochran had a great run in the tournament -- I think he single-handedly beat Patton's Liberty team -- I guess I just blended two nice Girard tournament runs into one.

Campbell won the same year, right?

Louisville’s record against the NBC the last 5 years the league existed (picked 4 girls sports and 4 boys) left wrestling out on purpose.
Football 33-3
Volleyball 56-14
Boys BB 58-12
Girls BB 46-24
Baseball 61-23
Softball 80-4
Boy’s tennis 50-0
Girls tennis 48-2
Louisville wasn’t just winning in football.
Louisville's death knell was losing Northwest in the EBV, they needed somebody to consistently compete with them for league titles in multiple sports and when they were gone that all but guaranteed the Leps 3-4 league titles a year

Hubbard won boys AAA golf back in 70 or 71, dont recall exactly which.
Hubbard won AAA championship in 1971. John Doughton, DanO'Bruba, Bob Pieton, Al Tribby, Jack Deane.

Alex Antonio was AAA state medalist in 1962 and again in 1963. In '63 he set the state record and shot a 142 on the Scarlet course breaking the previous record of Jack Nicklaus, (144 in 1956)

0F2AF52A-0FF8-4736-B7FE-48D37D288566.png

Hubbard won AAA championship in 1971. John Doughton, DanO'Bruba, Bob Pieton, Al Tribby, Jack Deane.

Alex Antonio was AAA state medalist in 1962 and again in 1963. In '63 he set the state record and shot a 142 on the Scarlet course breaking the previous record of Jack Nicklaus, (144 in 1956)
They won some state titles in track & field if I'm not mistaken as well.