What would you do for a living if you won the Powerball or Mega Millions?

I understand if you win the Powerball or mega, you’re pretty much loaded for life. But what would you do to keep yourself busy at a job/career if you were to win that amount of money? I’m sure you could buy out business/land in your area and create and start your own business and everything?

Me personally, I think I’d try my luck with a pawn shop or a strip club maybe? I’d say if I hit the Powerball; I’d buy my own pawn shop or strip club and just generate whatever extra cash flow/money I get from being the owner of those businesses?

So basically, my question/point of this thread is: What would you do if you won your States Lottery Jackpot, but however you were still obligated to Work and have any profession/career/job of your choosing, What would your “jackpot winning” career/job/profession be?

I've always said I wanted to buy a successful bar and grill in a small beach town that was on the beach. I'd let the owners still run it, and I'd help pour drinks or bus tables. Then I'd sit at the bar drinking beer with the ocean breeze blowing through the joint.

Look at my bank account everyday in disbelief. Figure out the people I will and will not help out. I would probably open up a small bait store or a sports memorobilia shop. Nothing too big that it would consume my life.

Some people change when they get great wealth, others just keep being their same old self.

I generally do not play the lottery, as in I think I have purchased tickets once or twice. But if I were to hit the big one, I would get a full time job trying to make sure the money was invested wisely and was being used to help others. A full time job helping other people financially seems it would be rewarding far more than spending on myself.

there are about 14 states in which you are permitted to remain anonymous. Ohio isn't one of them, if I read the article correctly. Wishful thinking for most who wish their life would remain the same. Outside forces make that near impossible. If they can't get to you, they'd get to those close to you. Being part of the same community would be impossible for many and still have a life of peace.

There's be an impulse to give it away to charity and pretend something good had been done. Wouldn't work either. I imagine enough legit businesses have sprung up to serve needs of lottery winners. Help them manage life change, manage money. I'd try to find out how legit really rich people do it, ones that have the same compass as I do, seek their advice and probably also live something resembling their life. At least until I got my feet wet and was able to figure my own direction.

I would probably buy a better brand of bread. Or just hire a cook. I would have a black raspberry field because it was my favorite jam and it is near impossible to find for anything near a reasonable price.

Last edited:
there are about 14 states in which you are permitted to remain anonymous. Ohio isn't one of them, if I read the article correctly. Wishful thinking for most who wish their life would remain the same. Outside forces make that near impossible. If they can't get to you, they'd get to those close to you. Being part of the same community would be impossible for many and still have a life of peace.

There's be an impulse to give it away to charity and pretend something good had been done. Wouldn't work either. I imagine enough legit businesses have sprung up to serve needs of lottery winners. Help them manage life change, manage money. I'd try to find out how legit really rich people do it, ones that have the same compass as I do, seek their advice and probably also live something resembling their life. At least until I got my feet wet and was able to figure my own direction.

I would probably buy a better brand of bread. Or just hire a cook. I would have a black raspberry field because it was my favorite jam and it is near impossible to find for anything near a reasonable price.
I will get back to you on that raspberry jam. My wife buys it pretty often and we are very cost conscious people so I suspect her source is reasonable on price.

Checked the frig, Bonne Maman around $6/jar.

Last edited:
I will get back to you on that raspberry jam. My wife buys it pretty often and we are very cost conscious people so I suspect her source is reasonable on price.

Checked the frig, Bonne Maman around $6/jar.
Black Raspberry, not Blackberry? Hoping so. Forget can't find it for a reasonable price. I can't find it.

I googled, it would make sense. My Ma/Aunt's go-to for russian tea cakes was Smuckers black raspberry, one of Ohio's BEST products IMO. Bonne Maman is somehow connected to Schmuckers.

Please ask her where she got it. $6 is steep for me but I'm getting the age I can switch my mantra to "can't take it with you."

Black Raspberry, not Blackberry? Hoping so. Forget can't find it for a reasonable price. I can't find it.

I googled, it would make sense. My Ma/Aunt's go-to for russian tea cakes was Smuckers black raspberry, one of Ohio's BEST products IMO. Bonne Maman is somehow connected to Schmuckers.

Please ask her where she got it. $6 is steep for me but I'm getting the age I can switch my mantra to "can't take it with you."
Yes, black raspberry. She thinks she got it at Sam's Club or Trader Joe's. While $6 is somewhat expensive, it is not the $15-$20 I've seen on many jam products.

By the way, at what age are we allowed to switch from saving to spending?

My mom got cancer at age 63 and died at age 66. My Dad wanted her to spend money on what she wanted, and to spend some fighting the cancer. She did not agree. One of the best life lessons I got was when her Dr told the family she will die the same way she lived life, frugal and watching every penny. We don't change our habits (or values) based on the approaching shortness of life.

Last edited:
By the way, at what age are we allowed to switch from saving to spending?

My mom got cancer at age 63 and died at age 66. My Dad wanted her to spend money on what she wanted, and to spend some fighting the cancer. She did not agree. One of the best life lessons I got was when her Dr told the family she will die the same way she lived life, frugal and watching every penny. We don't change our habits (or values) based on the approaching shortness of life.
If you're saving for somthing, don't you spend money when you have enough to buy? To everyone their own way. I wouldn't assume it is about a change in values or even if it is, that doesn't mean a change to lesser values. Your Ma had her way, which I would bet wasn't to presume the way of her loved ones was any less, let alone the way of strangers. I'm right aren't I. :D

I suspect you Ma felt her needs were met, she had what she wanted and any economic savings would land safely where she preferred and add more value there than with what she herself might use it for. It was a reasoned decision.

Last edited:
If I won, I would build a 20,000-seat domed stadium and host the OHSAA football and basketball state championships. I would have game(s) of all sports in there every day of the year.

If you're saving for somthing, don't you spend money when you have enough to buy? To everyone their own way. I wouldn't assume it is about a change in values or even if it is, that doesn't mean a change to lesser values. Your Ma had her way, which I would bet wasn't to presume the way of her loved ones was any less, let alone the way of strangers. I'm right aren't I. :D

I suspect you Ma felt her needs were met, she had what she wanted and any economic savings would land safely where she preferred and add more value there than with what she herself might use it for. It was a reasoned decision.
The short answer is no, even when I save enough to pay cash for something I've really wanted, I for reasons beyond my understanding choose to keep the cash rather than spend. Now, the last few years have been rough on people with that mindset, and after quite a bit of family intervention on my daughters part she convinced me to spend rather than save. Growing up Amish, we were taught the principle of self denial, the idea that you should only serve others and put your needs behind the needs of other people, especially family. My suspicion is that is where my spending hang up comes from.

The short answer is no, even when I save enough to pay cash for something I've really wanted, I for reasons beyond my understanding choose to keep the cash rather than spend. Now, the last few years have been rough on people with that mindset, and after quite a bit of family intervention on my daughters part she convinced me to spend rather than save. Growing up Amish, we were taught the principle of self denial, the idea that you should only serve others and put your needs behind the needs of other people, especially family. My suspicion is that is where my spending hang up comes from.
Even Amish spend. I'm kind of curious what your take-away was from my original post. I would say a good portion of Amish are living better than I am, lol.

It's a curious thought. Outside their own community, would you say the Amish are charitable? They have organizations that help other communities? What do you think they would do with a Powerball win or would they even play?

Last edited:
Combination of D4fan and soccer dad.
I would get a degree in either finance or economics ( whichever that would help me understand money investment & management)

I would also be a professional blackjack player
This is after I doled out a certain percentage to immediate family and those close to us who need help

there are about 14 states in which you are permitted to remain anonymous. Ohio isn't one of them......

I think giving it away to charity sounds like a great idea! Problem is few are the charities that have values that I agree with, so i would want to control the giving, which leads to my response to your last post.

I seldom go out into the community, live off the beaten path , so I think remaining unbothered by people with their palms up would not be an impossible task. By the way, doesn't Ohio allow for a attorney to accept the money on behalf of an LLC? So you could create the Eastisbest Lottery LLC , work through an attorney, and remain unidentified. Seems that question came up in a business law class I took many years ago, and the professor said it could be done that way.
Even Amish spend. I'm kind of curious what your take-away was from my original post. I would say a good portion of Amish are living better than I am, lol.

It's a curious thought. Outside their own community, would you say the Amish are charitable? They have organizations that help other communities? What do you think they would do with a Powerball win or would they even play?
Yes, even Amish do spend, but some groups of Amish are very conservative and spend almost nothing on themselves outside of a good horse, shelter, clothing and food.

The question of Amish charity is a interesting one. There are many different groups of Amish, Mennonite and Brethren; all who are very similar in values expressed and beliefs, but very different in how those beliefs are lived out. I grew up in one of these communities, and when I was 20 years old decided to "join the Church".

One of the first jobs they gave me was to sit on a board with a few other men and we determined who in the community was truly in need of financial help, and then in an anonymous way, would get funds to give to help them out. Typically purchasing medical equipment, paying for assisted health care, tutoring or similar idea. Occasionally even purchasing an automobile for transportation to work was not out of the question. Prior to my being asked to sit on this board, I had no idea such a charity even existed, and while it was technically seperate from the church, you had to be "Amish" to be part of the board.

Many Mennonites and Brethren groups do extensive work in Haiti. They gather clothes, build homes ( many of these groups are tradesmen and have much construction experience) and in general pour into these destitute people.

The challenge is, remaining seperate from the world, but being aware of the needs of individuals in the community and then responding to that need. So yes, Amish will absolutely help outside of their group, but want to do so anonymously even to the point their spouse may not be aware of who they help and why. In our family, when dad felt moved to help someone financially, he did not involve mom in the process.

Would Amish play the lottery? Seriously doubt it. I'm sure some do, but most would not.
The best way to answer what they might do with the money is to see what they do currently with their money. I would say they would buy a new horse or two, build that bank barn they have dreamed about for years, and then invest nearly all of it in non depreciating assets.

I think giving it away to charity sounds like a great idea! Problem is few are the charities that have values that I agree with, so i would want to control the giving, which leads to my response to your last post.

As I wrote and for similar reasons, it wouldn't work just giving it away. That's why I'd try to find others that have done set up charitbles with great wealth. The LLC sounds familiar. Whether it can be done post win, seems illogical when the Ohio rules say the winner is identified. Well, that one website said. I'd better get on this as I'm sure to win.

That is very interesting insight into Amish you gave. They could give the CIA a run.

Maybe invest in sports memrobilia collecting. Some people use those in their portfolio. Would be cool to own a legitimate Babe Ruth baseball autograph with a clearly written signature.