What Would Be An Appropriate Ticket Price for an OHHSFB Playoff Game?

How Much Should OHSAA Charge For Playoff Tix?

• 2 for $5

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • $4.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5.00

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • $7.00

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • $8.00

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • $10.00

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Bring A Canned Good

• Proof of Residence from School Attending

• Other

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
I think HS Sports have declined to where the majority of spectators are family and friends of those playing. When that is the case, demand is inelastic and really they can charge what ever they want and parents will have to pay it. You have to focus on the product if you really want to move the numbers up. Better food/concessions; better competition at games; better announcers and facilities. No one wants to pay (Other than parents) to see Marion Local beat someone by 70. Not a good product to draw in folks. Some schools deliver a better product and see much more revenue from their program but most are in the family and friends category unfortunately. It is a hard cycle to break.

I grew up in TX and 10,000 or more was typical at friday night games. There just does not seem to be the level of support in Ohio for HS sports. If there is no demand, no one is going to spend the money to make a better product.

It used to be that big here in the early 2000s but those day are gone.

The 2002 R4 Semi-Final sold 48,000 at Paul Brown (now Paycor) and Elder-Colerain used to sell out Nippert stadium. They didn't even sell out 6,000 seat Mason Stadium for the Colerain-Elder R4 final in 2019

The thing I've noticed is it seems not even parents are traveling to away matches in some cases. Some of the "away" crowds for volleyball and girls basketball have been a handful at best - there's no way all parents are attending. Even boys basketball and football crowds have dwindled for the visiting team. It's sad.

I will go watch Marion Local win 50 - 0 if it is 10 dollars but at15 I don't know. Some posters and OHSAA think people have unlimited money they don't. I don't think it is a coincidence that crowd sizes began to shrink with tix. prices going up. Many of the casual fans went to the games because it was something to do on Friday night and socialize but if you have a family of 6 and going to a road game (buy tix. at gate) you are talking close to 50 dollars. I can take my wife to the nearby theatre for 6 dollars apiece buy a beer for 2 dollars for a total of 14 dollars and it is not raining or cold in the theatre. Price does matter I know it does for me and I think a lot of other people as well. The other event that hurt attendance was the stupid covid policy on how many people who could go to the games, I had season tix. for Marion Local bball could not get them in 2020 well I never did renew them and now I go to 5 or 6 home games a year apathy begets apathy and higher prices feed into that apathy.
Attendance started going down well before ticket prices started going up.

Yes. It will. Parents will be less likely to bring kids, and when the weather turns raw it could become the tipping point.
The amount of money I spend on tickets to HS/Jr High events for my family over the course of a year is insane. A playoff football game will cost me $75 to walk in the door.

Our league went to $8 across the board for all varsity/JV/Freshman events this year and no student or senior pricing. Jr High events are $5 for all. Our HS finally went to an all-event family pass, but even that was $500 and you still have to pay for away matches. Most of the teams in our league are 45 minutes to 1:15 away. It all adds up. I can see why people hesitate to go to events. The price of food has driven concessions up.
I hate the Junior High price of anything above 2 bucks. Those charges are nothing more than fleecing the parents, and grandparents and families. They are the only ones that are going and the schools know it.
hate hate hate the charging at JH games.

Ive went to three HS football games in Kentucky this year. $10, online only (thankfully only 20-30 cents processing fee).

I also voted “NO.” It’s a leading question, anyways.

Being razor-focused on price of admission misses the bigger picture as to why attendance isn’t great. It as if, in the consumer mindset, there may be a holistic burden bigger than dollars-and-cents that deters attendance.

• product that is almost exclusively played at nighttime;

• product that, as a result of being in the evening and gets played into November/December, incurs cold weather and generally higher precipitation (rain/snow.) Some see being out in that weather as intolerable, others see driving in the dark for extended periods of time in those conditions as a dealbreaker.

• following a HS team, or having an informed read on the matchup you’re attending, requires a generally higher level of time compared to other levels of football (NCAAF/NFL) because the level of information out there is so minimal and — for that matter — doesn’t have nearly the level of dominance in media as tOSU/Browns/Bengals.

• split loyalties — have grandkids/family members past or present that are across different programs; sometime different leagues/size classifications/geographies. Or you don’t live near your alma/it no longer exists. Or your kids went to/go to different high schools than their siblings because you moved or the district re-did the attendance zones.

All of these things add up. It doesn’t help that our society is highly consumptive of other things, and making matters worse (for the intents of HSFB attendance) is younger generations today gravitate away from the concept of community being geographic and fixed.
Dock you are correct and we are forgetting the NFHS Network I had it the first 2 years and it was very affordable and i could on a chilly Friday night start a fire in the fire pit outside, cue up my laptop , grab a few cold beverages and sit outside and listen to the crowd cheering and the band playing 4 blocks over while i watched my favorite teams . Almost like being on the 50 yard line and no lines to the bathrooms no paying for parking.
You hit on another point also.
Being informed : Nowadays with the very poor coverage by newspapers especially in Columbus and the outrageous price for subscriptions to your door or online many folks just don't keep up with whats going on in the local HS sports scene. back 10-15 years ago you knew everyones Records, Stats, Schedules, Star players across multiple rosters and key big games coming up. All found in the local sports sections. Those articles stimulated conversation about HS Sports and brought spectators to games . Especially the casuals.
I could go on and on about the extra games i attended with my buddies or brother in law just because of the buzz surrounding a match up or players we wanted to see from programs we had nada a tie to. Many times based off of local coverage in the paper everyone had sitting on their porch every morning or evening.
Those days are long gone now people " Ain't got time for that"

And they started declining well before there was any ticket price change
So raising prices by OHSAA was a great choice then? And didn't add to the decline. ? You ain't giving out warm and fuzzy feelings at $12-$15 a pop for HS entertainment plus parking and concessions . OHSAA is using Public Stadiums, Public Parking , Schools own Personnel for 15 out of 16 weeks of the Season and 5 out of the 6 weeks for the playoffs.. Those are asset's not debts or cost them what.? Are the Schools in OHSAA demanding Ticket increases? I understand paying for the Officials . How much has their pay gone up over the last 10 years?
I don't know the answers why i'm asking.

So raising prices by OHSAA was a great choice then? And didn't add to the decline. ? You ain't giving out warm and fuzzy feelings at $12-$15 a pop for HS entertainment plus parking and concessions . OHSAA is using Public Stadiums, Public Parking , Schools own Personnel for 15 out of 16 weeks of the Season and 5 out of the 6 weeks for the playoffs.. Those are asset's not debts or cost them what.? Are the Schools in OHSAA demanding Ticket increases? I understand paying for the Officials . How much has their pay gone up over the last 10 years?
I don't know the answers why i'm asking.
OHSAA gets zero income the first 10 weeks of the season, so toss that out.

im not saying prices hasn’t contributed to a decline in attendance, just that it isn’t the main factor, and probably not a top 5 factor.

the schools benefit directly from the OHSAA raising ticket prices because the vast majority of the OHSAA’s money goes directly (direct payments at the end of the school year, payment for hosting tournament games) or indirectly (free insurance , free rule books, free official-assigning software) to the schools.

Yes. It will. Parents will be less likely to bring kids, and when the weather turns raw it could become the tipping point.

I hate the Junior High price of anything above 2 bucks. Those charges are nothing more than fleecing the parents, and grandparents and families. They are the only ones that are going and the schools know it.
hate hate hate the charging at JH games.

Ive went to three HS football games in Kentucky this year. $10, online only (thankfully only 20-30 cents processing fee).
I've sat through three years of JH volleyball now with one more to go....it takes long to drive to 95% of our opponents than the match actually lasts because some of these teams are so bad. So yes, it's a complete fleecing.

I say make them a nominal fee to get in at the venue and then stream online with ads to make up the difference. It seems the consumer has been trained to now view lower level sports on line so there is no need to get in a car and sit in a cold stadium for this level of sports. Heck, even some Div I NCAA football teams have trouble getting folks to show up at the stadium if it is not a big game. Friends daughter plays Div II softball, I have been able to watch almost all games including NCAA playoffs for free casting my mobile device on to my big screen TV. And the answer is not cable either, most are cutting the cord and don't have Spectrum or whatever service is currently being used for OHSAA playoffs.

As we say in the sports business these days, best seat in the house is in your house.

• product that, as a result of being in the evening and gets played into November/December, incurs cold weather and generally higher precipitation (rain/snow.) Some see being out in that weather as intolerable, others see driving in the dark for extended periods of time in those conditions as a dealbreaker.
I've always believed that having the games in a dome would drastically increase pre-sales because of the guaranteed "weather" in the stadium. Not knowing what the weather will be makes some/many people wait until the week of the game to decide. Probably a number of them find something else to do with their money by that time and choose elsewhere.

Just wish we had a dome to prove my theory right or wrong.

How much do the schools get per year?
Depends on how much the profits of the OHSAA are each year. In the direct payment that is the same for each school, I think last year was like $1,250 or something. In terms of host fees, the schools that host a ton of games in various sports make a pretty penny, albeit with all the work that goes along with that.

Any way to find out what the viewership is like on the NFHS network? It would be interesting to see if it is trending up/down or staying the same.

Probably the number 1 factor in decreased attendance is the lack of local newspapers and their coverage of local sports like they did in the past. When everyone was getting a daily (or weekly) newspaper, they did a great job of focusing attention on the school's sports teams. The connection between the local schools to the average citizen has been broken. You now need to reach out to places like Yappi to follow a team.

I know my community in the past had a full length article of every game in our weekly newspaper. Didn't matter if the team was winning or losing. Now it seems like 33% of the games are covered and the only people that read about it are the ones seeking out the article.

Any way to find out what the viewership is like on the NFHS network? It would be interesting to see if it is trending up/down or staying the same.

Probably the number 1 factor in decreased attendance is the lack of local newspapers and their coverage of local sports like they did in the past. When everyone was getting a daily (or weekly) newspaper, they did a great job of focusing attention on the school's sports teams. The connection between the local schools to the average citizen has been broken. You now need to reach out to places like Yappi to follow a team.

I know my community in the past had a full length article of every game in our weekly newspaper. Didn't matter if the team was winning or losing. Now it seems like 33% of the games are covered and the only people that read about it are the ones seeking out the article.
I don’t know what viewership is like on the NFHS network, but the spectrum ratings and the OHSAA playoff streaming ratings are abysmal.

I think people on this website would be shocked at the result if the OHSAA changed prices to $5.00. My guess is there would hardly be any impact to attendance numbers, because that's not a primary reason attendance is down. This conversation is honestly 5-10 years behind this reality.

After The Great Recession, and because of other sociological factors like social media for instance, HS sports took a nose dive. That's that.

I think people on this website would be shocked at the result if the OHSAA changed prices to $5.00. My guess is there would hardly be any impact to attendance numbers, because that's not a primary reason attendance is down. This conversation is honestly 5-10 years behind this reality.

After The Great Recession, and because of other sociological factors like social media for instance, HS sports took a nose dive. That's that.
I think you are right. But people would palate $5 for a game better than the current prices.

It used to be that big here in the early 2000s but those day are gone.

The 2002 R4 Semi-Final sold 48,000 at Paul Brown (now Paycor)
That was for two games in a new stadium and 70+ degree weather.
and Elder-Colerain used to sell out Nippert stadium.
While some big crowds were drawn with those two, they never sold them out.

I wish the movers and shakers in Cincinnati would come together and put a package together (underwrite it) to put the finals at Nippert Stadium. There's no better place in Ohio (sorry Massilon, while your stadium is awesome, Nippert is better) to watch, play, coach, or officiate a high school football game.

Has the OHSAA announced ticket prices this year for the first three rounds?
Has there been an increase from recent years?

I see all of these people talking about declining attendance at their games and honestly I can't relate because my school's attendance has been very good even though our team has struggled for a long time. So I am curious, do the schools that are seeing struggling attendance offer student or family passes? At my school kids can buy passes pretty cheap ($15 for all fall sporting events) and families can buy passes at a good price as well.

If high school football passion is there like Georgia and Texas, the game fee is not consequential to attendance. Season tickets to many Class 6A schools in Texas is near $200.00, Katy for example is $180.00 (includes parking). I paid $23.00 for a 2021 state semi-final game in Texas.........however that $23.00 was paid directly to the school!

This thread is about Ohio playoff games. That being said, OHSAA is a deplorable, greedy, sleazy organization that certainly has differing priorities than UIL or GHSA.

Until playoff pricing gets north of $25.00, you will just hear and read more and increasing complaints with little change in attendance. School focus should be more on number of games these boys have to play rather than game revenue. More important things than money.
Paying 13-15 to see a 1-16 game is crazy. The casual fan is not going to attend most of these games.

The amount of money I spend on tickets to HS/Jr High events for my family over the course of a year is insane. A playoff football game will cost me $75 to walk in the door.

Our league went to $8 across the board for all varsity/JV/Freshman events this year and no student or senior pricing. Jr High events are $5 for all. Our HS finally went to an all-event family pass, but even that was $500 and you still have to pay for away matches. Most of the teams in our league are 45 minutes to 1:15 away. It all adds up. I can see why people hesitate to go to events. The price of food has driven concessions up.
This. I went to a couple stadiums this year with no student tickets. I would have easily spent that discount in the concessions or on 50/50 but decided I had given them enough money.

Just to give this some perspective. Toledo Central Catholic is now in the Detroit Catholic league. They play their regular season championship game on Saturday night in Ford Field. Yes, regular season game in Ford Field. Ticket price...............$10.00