What Movies Did You Watch in October 2023?

Corpse Bride (2005) Tim Burton film that kinda has the look of Nightmare Before Christmas but nowhere near the same charisma. Not much for the viewer to work with.

3.9/8

probably an unpopular opinion but Freddy vs Jason was the best movie in both series. I thought it was amazing.
I'm not much of a horror movie buff, but I dated a girl (way back then) who loved horror flicks, so I took her to see "Poltergeist" and "Friday the 13th Part III". "Friday the 13th Part III" was in 3D! The scenes I remember the most was when they passed a joint in a van and everyone in the theater instinctively reached for it...and, when Jason squeezed a guy's head so hard, it popped the guy's eye out of its socket...all in glorious 3D!

Children of the Corn (2020)

Horror: This is the newest installment of the series either being part of it (the 10th) or just a re-imagined version of it. It works as both. In a different small town in Nebraska an orphaned girl starts a revolt against the adults to satisfy he who walks and to save the corn. Just about everyone hates it as it is very different than the original other than the basic premise but to me I found enough to like it. The little girl does an excellent job and while there could of been more gore (most of the kills happen off screen) there still were some disturbing things happening.... 5.0/8

Zombie (Italy-1979) ... 5.5/8

also known as Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters

I think I originally seen this one under the Zombie Flesh Eaters title and realized it was cut. Likely saw it again under the Zombie title but with English dubs.... this time around I saw it completely uncut with the Italian language. This is Lucio Fulci. While D. Argento is known for story Fulci is known for gore. So we have this reporter and a girl who is looking for her missing father. The two team up and head to a tropical island with a couple to get answers. Well, they get something else as VooDoo is bringing the dead back...... This one is known for the "eye" scene and still knowing what is going to happen I still cringe watching it but sort of lost but still a very iconic scene is the topless diver battling with the underwater zombie with a shark dangerously nearby which turns into Zombie vs Shark!!!!!!! One thing about European zombies that some might not understand is that at least in the 70,80's era they have a power especially on women that freezes them with fright. That is why they don't run from them and just stand there screaming while they get devoured..... The rotting corpses is great in this one and while this is not my favorite of the European Zombie movies it is way up on the list......

I'm not much of a horror movie buff, but I dated a girl (way back then) who loved horror flicks, so I took her to see "Poltergeist" and "Friday the 13th Part III". "Friday the 13th Part III" was in 3D! The scenes I remember the most was when they passed a joint in a van and everyone in the theater instinctively reached for it...and, when Jason squeezed a guy's head so hard, it popped the guy's eye out of its socket...all in glorious 3D!
Hahaha that’s awesome. Freddy vs Jason definitely has some horror elements but I almost would call it an action movie over horror.

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey - 3.75/8

About what you’d expect. It’s the trailer, except 85 minutes long. Third act kind of felt like you were watching Michael Myers in a Pooh mask.

Free on Peacock.

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) ... 5.5/8

I saw this one when it came out and just recently I had the urge to see it again but it never was on any of the Apps I had, that is until today when it popped up on Peacock. Wes Craven film loosely based off the documentary book by Wade Davis of the same name. Anthropologist heads to Haiti to learn the secret of a powder that turns people into Zombies. Now, these are traditional zombies and not the ones that we have been seeing since the late 60's in film. The film claims to be based on true events, well, that is sort of true as the real Anthropologist was Wes Davis who went to Haiti to study the Voo Doo rituals and the strange powder which he brought back to the states to be studied. Everything else though that happens in the movie is a work of fiction. Sully the lead singer of Godsmack was inspired by this film when he wrote the song "VooDoo".

I definitely liked this movie much better the 2nd time around. I was able to rewind and put on CAPS on parts where the accents were too strong or spoken softly for me to understand.
The scene where the paralysis wears off and the anthropologist finds his voice may be the most horrific one I've watched (and the spike scene a close second!)

I'm not normally a horror buff. I blame Tom Selleck for wanting to see this one. I'd taken my sister to see "Lassiter" because she was a Selleck fan, but Bob Hoskins really stood out to me with that face of his. That prompted me to go see "Mona Lisa". But then there was something about that Cathy Tyson ........ and that's why Bill Pullman gives me nightmares today. :cool:

Last edited:
Operation Fortune: 5.5/8

Been looking forward to this one as I love heist movies. This one isn’t so much a straight up heist movie though. It feels like a mix between The Italian Job and a Mission Impossible movie. Not as action heavy as those movies but that works fine here.

A Man Called Otto: 6.25/8

Is there a more consistent actor than Tom Hanks? A genuine delight to watch anytime he’s on screen.

This movie is no exception, and much darker than the trailer let’s on. This is NOT a movie for kids.

Very pleasantly surprised by this one.

Currently on Netflix.

Last edited:
Misery (1990)

Hadn't seen it in a while. Recorded it yesterday, watched it last night mainly as a refresher. We have tickets to see it on stage next month. Looking forward to that.
That's be a good one to pair up with The Beguiled. The Eastwood one.

Juon 3: The Grudge (Japan-2002) ... 7.0/8

I own this one but I no longer have my region free dvd player and forgetting the coding for my other dvd players I was not able to watch my copy. I did find it though and checked it out once again. Juon 3 The Grudge follows the first two Juon films called the Curse all written and directed by Takashi Shimizu known as the Japanese Alfred Hitchcock. Here we find a social worker who checks on an elderly woman at the house where they first two Juons took place to discover something is not right. Juon 3 is not gory nor do you see much that actually takes place on screen but what makes it work so well is the atmosphere, the way it is shot, and the extreme level of suspense, the sounds as well as pacing. Like the other Juon films this movie can be very hard to follow as each chapter does not take place in order. The movie spans a total of about 11 years but unlike in the US where you will have a "6 years later" or "3 years ago" you just have to figure out the timeline by certain clues. Also add in that the curse of the Juon can distort both time and space. While the first Juon: The Curse (very low budget film) movie has the greatest scene ever in a horror movie in my opinion Juon 3 though is a better overall movie and currently my favorite Juon/Grudge movie to date. Juon 3 was remade and rewritten by the same director for a US audience in the movie "The Grudge". Juon and The Grudge movies are one of my favorite series of movies in the horror genre.

Beetlejuice (1988) - 5/10

Don't understand why a lot of people like this movie. It wasn't funny or scary. Only good moments were with the Beetlejuice character.

Prom Night (1980) 2/8 Starring Jamie Lee Curtis in her Scream Queen days, but this was no Halloween. A young girl dies tragically at the hands of bullies. Fast forward six years and a mysterious killer show up on prom night to take revenge on the bullies. Slow and pretty boring. The twist at the end was easily predicted. Not much to see here.

Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018)

Horror: 8 years after the events of the first movie Mitchell returns with a crew to the Abaddon Hotel among news of evidence that could reveal what happened to Diane who went missing 8 years ago. Found footage is all about atmosphere and that is one thing this film has. The basement is extremely creepy and at times I did feel a bit uneasy. The problem though is I like my found footage to be unedited and without interruptions. The moment I was really getting into it it went out of the found footage and back to the news story that opens the movie. The found footage parts of this film are effective while the news story though was less to desire...... 4.5/8

Prom Night (1980) 2/8 Starring Jamie Lee Curtis in her Scream Queen days, but this was no Halloween. A young girl dies tragically at the hands of bullies. Fast forward six years and a mysterious killer show up on prom night to take revenge on the bullies. Slow and pretty boring. The twist at the end was easily predicted. Not much to see here.

I liked that one. Did not care for the remake though.

Evil Dead Trap (Japan-1988) ... "Shiryo No Wana" ... 6.0/8

A host of a late night show receives a snuff film and with a crew heads out to an abandon base to investigate the truth or hoax of the film. What makes Evil Dead Trap great to me is it's strange mix of Japanese and Italian horror with influences from the movie "Evil Dead". This movie starts out very gory and from there continues into the bizarre and strange. Though I have seen this one a few times it has been awhile and I actually forgot how it ends.... LOL, how the heck did I forget that........ Evil Dead Trap is not for everyone and is more extreme compared to the J-Horror that most are familiar with. This is the first of three in the series. I've seen all 3 and the first two are the best while I did not like the 3rd.

Hell House LLC. (2015) 5/8 Found footage/mockumentary type horror film about a company that opens a haunted house inside an abandon hotel outside of NYC that has a troubling history. The crew lives in the hotel as they set up the show and things take a dark turn. I've always been a fan of the found footage horror films and I liked this one. Looks like there are a couple of sequels I might try to watch.

Arguably the first found footage horror film is Cannibal Holocaust (1980). One of the better ones I have seen is [REC] (2007) ... Have you seen that one?

Arguably the first found footage horror film is Cannibal Holocaust (1980). One of the better ones I have seen is [REC] (2007) ... Have you seen that one?
[REC] (2007) 6.5/8 Good call vamp. I'm usually not a big fan of foreign films with subtitles, but I really enjoyed this one. Found footage film. A news reporter and her cameraman are staying overnight in a firehouse to get an inside look at firefighters on the job. A call comes in from an apartment building about an elderly woman trapped and screaming in her apartment. Chaos ensues from there. The action starts in this one very early and continues right up to the end. Definitely worth a watch if you don't mind subtitles or you speak Spanish lol.

[REC] (2007) 6.5/8 Good call vamp. I'm usually not a big fan of foreign films with subtitles, but I really enjoyed this one. Found footage film. A news reporter and her cameraman are staying overnight in a firehouse to get an inside look at firefighters on the job. A call comes in from an apartment building about an elderly woman trapped and screaming in her apartment. Chaos ensues from there. The action starts in this one very early and continues right up to the end. Definitely worth a watch if you don't mind subtitles or you speak Spanish lol.

You actually don't need the subtitles once you get inside the apartment. The camera man if I recall does not speak or understand much of the language that is being said so hence you can play the role and add to the confusion of what is going on by turning off the subtitles at that time. Subtitles do not bug me but for found footage films they become an abstraction. Strangely enough I also gave this movie a 6.5/8 .... Are you sure you are not me????

Anyhow, there is [REC] 2 and if I remember correctly the time table is the same of [REC] but follows a person that left the apartment prior to it getting quarantined. [REC] 3, and [REC] 4 also exist. I have seen all of them and liked them all but the first is the best by far. 2 and 3 are still very good. Also in the [REC] universe are the movies that take place in the US called "Quarantine" and "Quarantine 2". The first one is pretty good but not as good as the 1st and 3rd [REC] films. More of these films may exist but if they do I have not yet seen them. Glad you enjoyed it and that you found it.

Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019)

Horror: Takes place about a year after the last movie. We are heading back to the Abaddon Hotel where a production team is putting on a performance based off of the novel Faust called Insomnia. Strange things once again start to happen when a behind the scenes crew shows up to video tape everything. This one started getting good but then it just stopped and turned into something else. I did like most of the characters in this one but was disappointed with the finale of this trilogy...... 3.5/8

Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019)

Horror: Takes place about a year after the last movie. We are heading back to the Abaddon Hotel where a production team is putting on a performance based off of the novel Faust called Insomnia. Strange things once again start to happen when a behind the scenes crew shows up to video tape everything. This one started getting good but then it just stopped and turned into something else. I did like most of the characters in this one but was disappointed with the finale of this trilogy...... 3.5/8
Another one is coming out on October 30th. Looks like a prequel.

The Flash: 4.75/8

About as “ok” as word of mouth said it was. Ezra Miller was never a good fit as Barry Allen, and this film had two of them. Lots of forced humor. Almost all of the good scenes in the film were the ones with Batman, and in this film we got three of them. The Zod/Supergirl stuff could have been good, but Supergirl was miscast and Michael Shannon was clearly phoning it in (he even stated in interviews that he had no idea what was going on plot wise).

The movie does redeem itself some at the end, but you could tell the one main scene was a tacked on reshoot because the payoff wasn’t earned throughout the film (which is a shame because it could have been a really good plot line).

Mission Impossible
Finished this one. Old school (Cruise, Denzil) still doing the best action movies. Vanessa Kirby: She's a thing. If I'd not looked at IMDB, I'd never have put together White Widow and Princess Margaret are the same. She's to be Napoleon's Joshephine, Sue Storm and a lead in the Anthony Bourdain book adaptation. That's quite a diverse set.