What Movies Did You Watch in October 2023?

The Grudge (2004) ... 7.0/8

The Grudge is an American remake of the Japanese horror movie Juon 3. The Grudge though does take place in Japan and in the exact same house as the Juon movies and was written and directed by the same guy. The Grudge mirrors Juon 3 for about 3/4 of the film but then it differs slightly as it incorporates elements from the first two Juon movies. Missing from The Grudge are the scenes with the original investigator of the murders and the scenes of his daughter and her friends as well as the "twist" of the caretaker....... Both versions of this film are excellent. The effects in the remake are better and the movie is scarier in my opinion.
Scariest movie I had ever seen until Sinister 2. Loved the Grudge

The Conjuring (2013) ... 7.0/8

I saw this one when it came out so it has been 10 years but I was not ready for this as it hit me hard. I watched it alone with the speakers up loud and all the lights out. Now, all the lights are on and I am watching Naked Attractions to get my mind of it. Yes this movie scared me a lot more than the original watching. I am more sensitive to these type of movies since an experience I had about 7 years ago but I am not going to talk about that. Anyhow, the adrenaline of being scared is amazing and only a handful of films can do that to me so add this one to that list. 10 years ago I gave this film a 6.5/8 but I am bumping it up to a 7.0......

Mirage (1965, B&W) - 5.5/8

In NYC, a man suddenly realizes he can only remember the last two years of his life as a boring cost accountant. Now people are trying to kill him, a psychiatrist won't help him, and his refrigerator calls him a liar.

Very cool psychological thriller - think North By Northwest meets The Twilight Zone. Lots of little tasty tidbits and odd characters. The soundtrack music sounds almost happy, with a few threatening jazz chords as each surprise or mystery pops up. The final scene loses some luster action-wise, but you do learn the whole story.

Gregory Peck is totally believable as a boring accountant (does look good in a suit, though). Diane Baker is the requisite lust interest. Walter Matthau, George Kennedy, and Jack Weston are great in the supporting cast. Hari Rhodes, who I knew only from "Daktari", plays a forms-obsessed police detective who claims to be an all-city basketball player, but he can't hit the trashcan with a paperwad to save his life.

There's a brief encounter with an enthusiastic school teacher who looked very familiar. I kept thinking it was a young Gordon Jump from WKRP - turned out to be Franklin Cover, better known as touchy-feely Tom Willis of "The Jeffersons".

Last edited:
The Conjuring (2013) ... 7.0/8

I saw this one when it came out so it has been 10 years but I was not ready for this as it hit me hard. I watched it alone with the speakers up loud and all the lights out. Now, all the lights are on and I am watching Naked Attractions to get my mind of it. Yes this movie scared me a lot more than the original watching. I am more sensitive to these type of movies since an experience I had about 7 years ago but I am not going to talk about that. Anyhow, the adrenaline of being scared is amazing and only a handful of films can do that to me so add this one to that list. 10 years ago I gave this film a 6.5/8 but I am bumping it up to a 7.0......
My wife and I saw it in the theater when it came out and she was so scared she shed tears. She's emotional like many women, but we've watched a lot of horror movies over the years and I've never seen her have that type of reaction. One of my favorites for sure and never fails to put a fright in me when I watch it.

Five Nights at Freddy’s: 4/8

Never played any of the games so I can’t tell you how accurate it is, but it was just ok.

IMO Willy’s Wonderland, a very similar concept starring Nicholas Cage, is better and Cage pulled off the lead role without uttering a single line of dialogue.

Last edited:
Five Nights at Freddy's (2023)

Horror: Since this is a new movie I won't talk about the plot. I no little to nothing about the game. This movie just failed for me on many levels.... 2.5/8

The Nights of Terror (Italy-1981) ... aka "Burial Ground" ... 6.0/8

Everyone calls this movie Burial Ground. This is a low budget zombie flick that is famous for the character Michael who is a young boy who has an unhealthy love for his mother. There is not really a plot to this film other than a group of people show up at this castle and have sex while the dead are rising from their graves. The dead in this one are your typical decaying corpse with maggots and all that are slow moving but these corpses have the ability to use tools. Just about all of these films did not shoot the dialogue when filming and would add dubbing later and this one is pretty bad with the dubbing... lol, It is just something one has to get use to or just welcome it with the comedic value that comes with. The famous scene of course has to do with Michael and his mother where Michael.... spoiler alert...... bites off his mother's nipple and takes a chunk out of her breast!!!!!! Do to the strict laws in Italy dealing with minors they had to find a very short adult that looks like a child to play the roll...... There was a mishap in this film where the actress would set the zombie on fire, unfortunately the actor inside the zombie suit actually caught on fire and while he was screaming the director stated that this is just too good and kept it rolling......

Speak No Evil (Denmark-2022)

Horror: A couple on Holiday with their little girl meet another family with a young son. They get along pretty good and decide to meet up during the summer at the families home in Holland. This movie is slow, very slow but it just keeps enough of you to keep watching. You know something is not quite right and with the ominous score your just waiting for it but will it ever come. I thought I had this one figured out 10 minutes in but I was wrong. It is made this way for a reason and for most of you I do not recommend this film at all as it takes a turn. Very disturbing film but effective in what it was trying to do...... 5.5/8

The Conjuring

Yep, based on a couple of the "reviews"here, we watched it last night. It was solid!

We plan to to watch The Conjuring 2 soon.

How long before these weird bruises that came out of nowhere go away?

Last edited:
Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight (1995)- 9/10.

Absolutely love this movie and my favorite story from Tales From the Crypt. Man that show really needs to come back….

The Man Behind The Mask (1941) - 4/8

An immigrant watchmaker named Janos is badly burned in a hotel fire on his first day in America. Unable to find work, he turns to crime to compensate for the scars. Will true love save him from a criminal's fate?

The always-memorable Peter Lorre as the immigrant, the mask making his eyes look spookier than usual. Evelyn Keyes is the blind but beautiful blonde who perceives only the good in Janos.

Maudlin film noir gangster flick with a few interesting touches. The usual tough-talking thugs in fedoras. One scene eerily reminiscent of "The Godfather" - wonder if Puzo purloined the idea when he wrote the book? The climactic final scene wraps it up tidily. Get your hankies ready.

Last edited:
Skyjacked (1972)

Good cast........Charlton Heston, James Brolin, Yvette Mimieau, Roosevelt Grier, Claude Akins, Susan Dey, Marriet Hartley, Walter Pidgeon, John Hillerman, Leslie Uggams, others.

Brolin plays a disgruntled vietnam vet who hijacks a Minneapolis bound passenger jet, taking it first to Anchorage and then to Moscow where he expects to be welcomed as some sort of hero. Heston is the plane's Captain.

For me, this one was a clunker. The dialogue and acting (meant to be tense and dramatic) was so over the top that it almost became corny at times. Ha, at one point three passengers (including Grier) jumped Brolin, and he kicked their azzes. C'mon now, James Brolin knocked Rosie Grier on his A ??? This isn't pro wrestling here.

Anyhow back to the movie, they made it to Moscow but it didn't work out the way Brolin had hoped.

*Afterwards I read that between 1961 and 1973 there were over 150 hijackings in US airspace.

mother!

Finally watched it to see what the twist was, and came out if it thinking “what the he’ll did I just watch?”, though the very end gives some clarity. I had to read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia though to fully catch all of it.

Not sure how I’d grade it. 4.5 maybe? Great concept but I don’t think they nailed the execution.

Season of the Witch (2011) 4/8

Nicholas Cage stars. Meh. Some of the sets were cool though.

Now if this was a rating for Donovan's song "Season of the Witch", I would give it a 7/8. Trippy.

Five Nights at Freddy's (2023) 2.5/8 Never played the game and didn't really know much about the story going in. Special effects were solid but the story was a dud. Seemed like they should have spent more money on the writing and less on the advertising.

The Honeymoon (2014) 4/8 Newlyweds head to a secluded cabin for their honeymoon. Things are going great until the husband finds the wife "sleepwalking" in the woods. Something sinister happens and she seems different the next morning. Not bad, but might have been better with a better explanation of what happened to her. You got a general idea, but they left it a little too open ended for me.

Midsommar (2019) 7/8 First time seeing this one and wow. A group of American college students travel to a remote village in Sweden with a friend for a summer festival. Once they arrive, things aren't quite as festive as they expected. Florence Pugh was outstanding in the lead. I might have rated it 8/8 if I hadn't watched in on Sling and there wasn't an ad every five minutes. Great camera work, plenty of suspense and eerie feelings. One of the few movies that is able to work up bad feelings without a lot of jump scares and blood and gore. Also felt like this would be really good with some mind altering substances. Definitely want to see it again, preferably uninterrupted next time.

Halloween (1978)

Never seen any of the franchise before. This was rock solid but didn't blow me away. Though done well, it was about 80% buildup with not much of consequence happening in the middle. If you've ever seen the South Park guys explain story boarding, this was a lot of "AND THEN" beats as opposed to "THEREFORE" and "BUT" beats.

6.2/8