What coaches/ programs are putting in time this offseason?

The ones you mentioned above, plus ones I am aware of:

Ohio Crazy Goats - Bishop Watterson
CP Wrestling - Col St Francis DeSales
JPW - Toledo Whitmer
Kodiak Attack - Wauseon

CVCA had Nathan Tomasello (new addition to the coaching staff), Jordan Decatur (fresh off competing at the US Open), and Jacob Decatur (D3 National Champ for Baldwin Wallace) in the room for freestyle practice today!

We had 11 at Elyria last weekend with The Village WC (Andrew Gasper is running it). Hoping to get a few to Fargo this year.

Plus, we are taking a team to Disney and local tournaments and duals.

Putting in time and work is pointless and even counterproductive if it's not directed at fixing what causes you to lose the most. Isolate things that cause you to lose and then map out 2 or 3 things that you can do daily or weekly to fix these things. The 2or 3 things you can do need to be measurable and occur enough to crate patterns that can be tracked.
Had enough good wrestlers that could've been great without another ounce of physical work or time put into wrestling. Majority of good wrestlers that fail to become great fail due to lack of focus on fixing the things that cause them to fail.
Some spend time with trainers that only teach one system or way of wrestling. If your skills fit into that mode of training then it's good for you but so many flock to train at places that don't accentuate their skills. In fact they might make you worse off due to the fact that it gets you to do things out of your zone. Drilling and training a style that is counterproductive to your strengths creates patterns in your muscle memory that are hard to fix. So what happens is you train harder but regress because under crunch time situations your body will revert to things you've drilled over and over but your not good at doing.
In short we confuse hard work street as the only street we can travel on to improve in wrestling. Moving forward in a fixed direction isn't always progress. Sometimes we can improve by making a U turn.

Putting in time and work is pointless and even counterproductive if it's not directed at fixing what causes you to lose the most. Isolate things that cause you to lose and then map out 2 or 3 things that you can do daily or weekly to fix these things. The 2or 3 things you can do need to be measurable and occur enough to crate patterns that can be tracked.
Had enough good wrestlers that could've been great without another ounce of physical work or time put into wrestling. Majority of good wrestlers that fail to become great fail due to lack of focus on fixing the things that cause them to fail.
Some spend time with trainers that only teach one system or way of wrestling. If your skills fit into that mode of training then it's good for you but so many flock to train at places that don't accentuate their skills. In fact they might make you worse off due to the fact that it gets you to do things out of your zone. Drilling and training a style that is counterproductive to your strengths creates patterns in your muscle memory that are hard to fix. So what happens is you train harder but regress because under crunch time situations your body will revert to things you've drilled over and over but your not good at doing.
In short we confuse hard work street as the only street we can travel on to improve in wrestling. Moving forward in a fixed direction isn't always progress. Sometimes we can improve by making a U turn.
Wouldn't it actually be a detour? A U turn would send you back to where you came from and if you weren't very good that would not be a desirable outcome. I think detour is probably the better analogy. Maybe even "take the road less travelled". But U turn just doesn't seem right here.

Both Saturday June 4th and Sunday June 5th are full. Should be a great 2 days of wrestling.
If any individual would like to wrestle please text Craig Wise 614 578 6517 and we will add you if possible.

Saturday June 4th
Rootstown
Jackson Milton
Ravenna / Canton South
Scrapyard
Waterloo
Lab330

Sunday June 5th
Rootstown
Barberton
Liberty
Streetsboro
Barnsville
Crestview

Like Like Reply

Should be a great day of wrestling. I know young men are playing baseball or getting ready for Fargo from my area but I see many great matches that could happen here. Rootstown is Rootstown and will be tough. Looking forward to seeing Barnesville vs the Rovers. I know Barberton has a bunch of tough wrestlers but will football stop their participation. Regardless lots of potential great individual matchups.

My
Putting in time is pointless...putting in work is what matters. I once saw a kid spend 2 hours in the weight room daily doing nothing but sitting on the leg extension machine and talking. He put in plenty of time but never got even the slightest bit stronger.
My take is that it all counts and it all adds up. Spring wrestling is always my favorite time of year and understanding your athlete's goals, and capacity, ability and desire to train in the spring/summer helps shape how to coach them. Some kids don't have the capacity to go full blast 365 days a year, but as a coach you want to keep them in the room as often as possible and use the spring/summer to focus on specific areas of improvement such as perfecting an attack or learning a few new techniques to address weakness and I'm OK w/ with low-intensity rolls - and dare I say fun - but I'd like to see progress. Some kids prefer to spend more time in the weight room than the wrestling room this time of year, and I'm good with that too as long as I understand their goals (ie gain 20lbs ) and build and guide them on a training program to help them get there. For the kids that are focused on training hard for competitions such as Fargo- I want to give them all they can handle in terms of coaching, competition, and high-intensity workouts 3x+ /week, supplemented with functional strength, and flexibility, cardio, mindset. I encourage those kids to take a few weeks off in August to recover, heal and get their minds right for the fall preseason. I totally agree with the cliche that summer wrestling makes winter champions and that's true for some kids, but year-round high-intensity training can also make for a long winter season and can lead burnout and wear & tear on their bodies. Every kid is different and the coaches job is about maximizing the ability and potential of each athlete.

My

My take is that it all counts and it all adds up...
I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. Work can be put in in a number of ways. High intensity, low intensity, heck...even medium intensity! The problem lies when people think that just showing up is enough. A kid sitting in the room against the wall all summer long has put plenty of time in the room, but no work. 200 hundred hours of sitting on your butt won't get you anything but a need for a tube of Preparation H. That's why I advocate putting in WORK. A kid could put in 2 hours a week of focused work and improve way more than a kid who shows up every day for an hour and spends 90% of his time chatting up his friends about his favorite Tik Tok video.

I also don't believe a kid should be kept in the room as often as possible. Kids do need time to be kids AND burnout is real. The last thing I would want to do is tell a kid they have to be training so much (at any intensity) that they resent being there and start to hate the sport because it is the only thing in their life. 2-3 productive sessions a week in the off season and you will see great improvement...more than that and you may see some diminishing returns. I also don't think a kid should be in their own school's room more than once a week in the off season. they need to go to open mats at other schools and wrestle people they aren't normally on the mat with. Staying with your own drill partner all the time only leads to familiarity and then you start to bottle up and not try new things or you never get in situations that other opponents would put you in.

The USA Wrestling-Ohio Freestyle and Greco-Roman qualifiers have all had good turn outs this spring.

I went to Western Brown on 4/9, Dublin Coffman on 4/30, Elyria on 5/7 and Marysville today and I was impressed with how many programs across the state were represented at the qualifiers.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. Work can be put in in a number of ways. High intensity, low intensity, heck...even medium intensity! The problem lies when people think that just showing up is enough. A kid sitting in the room against the wall all summer long has put plenty of time in the room, but no work. 200 hundred hours of sitting on your butt won't get you anything but a need for a tube of Preparation H. That's why I advocate putting in WORK. A kid could put in 2 hours a week of focused work and improve way more than a kid who shows up every day for an hour and spends 90% of his time chatting up his friends about his favorite Tik Tok video.

I also don't believe a kid should be kept in the room as often as possible. Kids do need time to be kids AND burnout is real. The last thing I would want to do is tell a kid they have to be training so much (at any intensity) that they resent being there and start to hate the sport because it is the only thing in their life. 2-3 productive sessions a week in the off season and you will see great improvement...more than that and you may see some diminishing returns. I also don't think a kid should be in their own school's room more than once a week in the off season. they need to go to open mats at other schools and wrestle people they aren't normally on the mat with. Staying with your own drill partner all the time only leads to familiarity and then you start to bottle up and not try new things or you never get in situations that other opponents would put you in.

I got you, and believe me I understand hard WORK. We're in here talking about WORK. I mean, listen, we're talking about WORK. Not a match! Not a match! Not a match! We're talking about WORK. Not a match; not the match that I go out there and die for and wrestle every match like it's my last, not the match, we're talking about WORK, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about WORK. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example, I know that. And I'm not shoving it aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do. I honestly do. But we're talking about WORK, man. What are we talking about? WORK? We're talking about WORK, man! We're talking about WORK! We're talking about WORK... We ain't talking about the match! We're talking about WORK, man! When you come to the arena, and you see me wrestle... You see me wrestle, don't you? But we're talking about WORK right now! Look, I hear you. It's funny to me too. It's strange to me too. But we're talking about WORK, man. We're not even talking about the match, the actual match, when it matters, we're talking about WORK.

;)

I got you, and believe me I understand hard WORK. We're in here talking about WORK. I mean, listen, we're talking about WORK. Not a match! Not a match! Not a match! We're talking about WORK. Not a match; not the match that I go out there and die for and wrestle every match like it's my last, not the match, we're talking about WORK, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about WORK. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example, I know that. And I'm not shoving it aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do. I honestly do. But we're talking about WORK, man. What are we talking about? WORK? We're talking about WORK, man! We're talking about WORK! We're talking about WORK... We ain't talking about the match! We're talking about WORK, man! When you come to the arena, and you see me wrestle... You see me wrestle, don't you? But we're talking about WORK right now! Look, I hear you. It's funny to me too. It's strange to me too. But we're talking about WORK, man. We're not even talking about the match, the actual match, when it matters, we're talking about WORK.

;)
One of my all time favorite sports rants! Much respect for putting in the time...I mean WORK...to get that on here.

My holy trinity of sports rants: "I'm a man, I'm 40!", "PLAYOFFS?! I just hope we can win another game!", & "We talkin bout PRACTICE."

My kids (10 and 7 years old) know this rant so well that when I tell them we have practice tonight for one of their sports they say "Why are we talking about practice Dad?"

You made me laugh and brightened my day a little. Cheers to you!

One of my all time favorite sports rants! Much respect for putting in the time...I mean WORK...to get that on here.

My holy trinity of sports rants: "I'm a man, I'm 40!", "PLAYOFFS?! I just hope we can win another game!", & "We talkin bout PRACTICE."

My kids (10 and 7 years old) know this rant so well that when I tell them we have practice tonight for one of their sports they say "Why are we talking about practice Dad?"

You made me laugh and brightened my day a little. Cheers to you!
Cheers to you too! (y)

My

My take is that it all counts and it all adds up. Spring wrestling is always my favorite time of year and understanding your athlete's goals, and capacity, ability and desire to train in the spring/summer helps shape how to coach them. Some kids don't have the capacity to go full blast 365 days a year, but as a coach you want to keep them in the room as often as possible and use the spring/summer to focus on specific areas of improvement such as perfecting an attack or learning a few new techniques to address weakness and I'm OK w/ with low-intensity rolls - and dare I say fun - but I'd like to see progress. Some kids prefer to spend more time in the weight room than the wrestling room this time of year, and I'm good with that too as long as I understand their goals (ie gain 20lbs ) and build and guide them on a training program to help them get there. For the kids that are focused on training hard for competitions such as Fargo- I want to give them all they can handle in terms of coaching, competition, and high-intensity workouts 3x+ /week, supplemented with functional strength, and flexibility, cardio, mindset. I encourage those kids to take a few weeks off in August to recover, heal and get their minds right for the fall preseason. I totally agree with the cliche that summer wrestling makes winter champions and that's true for some kids, but year-round high-intensity training can also make for a long winter season and can lead burnout and wear & tear on their bodies. Every kid is different and the coaches job is about maximizing the ability and potential of each athlete.
This is one of the most reasonable takes I have seen on here.