Western Buckeye League 2021

Exactly. Like, "not very competitive in any sport." ANY??? Did I not just write that they already have 2 team WBL championships this year. ?
There’s also 7 sports that Bath is either last or next to last in. And this is with a “once in a generation” class.

He's from Bluffton. Dad became the AD at Bath, so they moved their kids to Bath. Now, he's not the AD, so going back to Bluffton, where they live.

I heard a rumor that they are moving to Columbus. No idea where in Columbus if that is true. Not sure if Bluffton has good enough basketball and football programs for him.

I heard a rumor that they are moving to Columbus. No idea where in Columbus if that is true. Not sure if Bluffton has good enough basketball and football programs for him.
If that's the truth, he'd be more than likely moving to Dublin.

There’s also 7 sports that Bath is either last or next to last in. And this is with a “once in a generation” class.
I hear that, but don't say they aren't very competitive in ANY sport when the WBL offers 20 sports and you're just talking about those 7. They do have competitive success, albeit in sports folks pay less attention to.

That may be true. I heard from a Bath parent that they will have 1 combined MS football team next year. The rising 7th grade has only single digit participation in football. Do any WBL schools play a combined 7th/8th grade schedule? Those numbers will kill a program. Apparently Bath won't consider leaving the WBL, even though boys sports would all benefit by a league change.
Milton-Union and most SWBL schools play a combined Junior High.

Each Friday we get a little bit closer to the start of football! I'm pumped for the WBL this year, lots of exciting teams in 2021 and the WBL is always a competitive league where you definitely have to bring your A game against every team or you could get beat. I would put the league into tiers this year and it's always subject to change.
Tier 1: Van Wert, OG, St. Marys, Wapak
Tier 2: Elida, Kenton, Shawnee
Tier 3: Celina, Defiance, Bath

Does anyone think Doug Frye retiring will change what the league will look like in 2021 and going forward? It'll be interesting whoever replaces him they will have big shoes to fill in a very tough league.

Does anyone think Doug Frye retiring will change what the league will look like in 2021 and going forward? It'll be interesting whoever replaces him they will have big shoes to fill in a very tough league.
I think there's too many questions yet to fully answer this. I think most folks would guess that SM will drop in their predictions for the 2021 season. That's reasonable really any time a legendary coach retires. Presumably, they'll go with an inside hire (or someone with a similar philosophy) and do their best to maintain their current culture. It'll be a transitional year no matter what, but the extent will depend on who becomes the next SM HC. In short, I'd say I'd place them firmly behind VW, O-G, and Wapak. 4th place in the WBL in the first year of a new head coach would be pretty good with all things considered.

I think there's too many questions yet to fully answer this. I think most folks would guess that SM will drop in their predictions for the 2021 season. That's reasonable really any time a legendary coach retires. Presumably, they'll go with an inside hire (or someone with a similar philosophy) and do their best to maintain their current culture. It'll be a transitional year no matter what, but the extent will depend on who becomes the next SM HC. In short, I'd say I'd place them firmly behind VW, O-G, and Wapak. 4th place in the WBL in the first year of a new head coach would be pretty good with all things considered.
I feel with him wanting to stay on to help would mean it will come down to Bo as the front runner and possibly Nick Yahl the long time defensive cor. the other choice. I stated in another post you will not find a coach outside his staff willing to come in and have the ex-coach on the coaching staff.

Just throwing it out. Have no idea if he'd consider it. But Buti is still the AD. It wouldn't totally shock me if he can't find a good coach this late if he comes back for a year.

Just throwing it out. Have no idea if he'd consider it. But Buti is still the AD. It wouldn't totally shock me if he can't find a good coach this late if he comes back for a year.
Considering the circumstances, I'd say that'd be the best course of action and try to find a coach next offseason. How old is Buti nowadays?

On staff is also Travis Cooper, but that name doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.
Why is that? He won at Bryan, a program that didn't win before he got there, and Wauseon. One incident and he isn't the man? I hope he is the next coach at Defiance! He deserves the chance after the BS that happened to him at Wauseon!

Not specific to football, but Bath also announced hires today. Sean Powell for boys basketball and Kristen Holt as athletic director. Powell is coming over from Botkins where he won the D-IV state title this year and Holt has been a collegiate coach in NCAA D1 women's basketball for many years, according to the press release. Both seem like outstanding hires. Especially since WBL posters tend to talk about how terrible Bath is and that they should be in the NWC. This certainly seems encouraging for Bath Athletics.

Why is that? He won at Bryan, a program that didn't win before he got there, and Wauseon. One incident and he isn't the man? I hope he is the next coach at Defiance! He deserves the chance after the BS that happened to him at Wauseon!

Nsh, it's not how it ended at Wauseon. That was overblown and definitely nothing to rule out of any other jobs.

It's the fact he came back last year, suddenly the offense was supposed to be this dynamic thing that took a few steps forward and instead it was.....worse than before.

IMO, it's time for fresh blood. Winning at Bryan isn't anything that impresses me, we saw how that went with Kline. He was impressive at Wauseon....but so is his successor. Frankly, anyone SHOULD be good at Wauseon. Split with Archbold and LC and you're in the league title hunt every year.

Obviously if he gets the job I'll support him and the program. There's worse they can do. I'm just not convinced anyone on the current staff are the solution. Then again, it's April. He may be the best we can do this late, in which case I hope I'm wrong and he gets the program back on track.

Nsh, it's not how it ended at Wauseon. That was overblown and definitely nothing to rule out of any other jobs.

It's the fact he came back last year, suddenly the offense was supposed to be this dynamic thing that took a few steps forward and instead it was.....worse than before.

IMO, it's time for fresh blood. Winning at Bryan isn't anything that impresses me, we saw how that went with Kline. He was impressive at Wauseon....but so is his successor. Frankly, anyone SHOULD be good at Wauseon. Split with Archbold and LC and you're in the league title hunt every year.

Obviously if he gets the job I'll support him and the program. There's worse they can do. I'm just not convinced anyone on the current staff are the solution. Then again, it's April. He may be the best we can do this late, in which case I hope I'm wrong and he gets the program back on track.

Last years offensive production (or lack there of) wasn't a great indication on if he would work there or not. There were a lot of things that went into why it was underwhelming.

Cooper should be the pick and there is a good chance he turns it around.

A2AACC19-672E-4C79-84FD-B76B495E32CB.jpeg

Fackler’s out at Kenton. Time for another Mauk calling the shots? He was brought up as a possibility for Minster already

View attachment 16753
Fackler’s out at Kenton. Time for another Mauk calling the shots? He was brought up as a possibility for Minster already
His infatuation with Minster was short lived.
Some say he pulled his name.
Some believe Minster was not too interested.

I think he pulled his name out of arrogance after they didnt bow down and offer him the job right away.

Mark this down.
Ben Mauk will be the next HC in Kenton.

That is a guarantee.

Could be an interesting transition in the WBL. Frye steps down at St Marys, a Mauk returns to Kenton. Seems like a natural opportunity for a power shift in the league. Or a new wave of coaches that eventually sees Frye and Mauk's sons take over their respective programs. Kenton and St Marys still have to hire their coaches, so we'll see what happens.

U.S. News & World Report high school rankings have been released. I've seen these articles floating around social media recognizing individual schools, so I thought it'd be interesting to compare within the WBL. Obviously this if off topic, they don't really mean anything, and who cares, but hey it's the offseason.

Rank in State of Ohio - Name of High School - Score out of 100
#60 - Shawnee (89.55)
#107 - Van Wert (82.78)
#208 - Ottawa-Glandorf (67.85)
#234 - Elida (64.50)
#277 - Wapakoneta (56.96)
#321 - Celina (51.76)
#347 - St Marys Memorial (48.38)
#362 - Bath (46.16)
#366 - Defiance (45.60)
#505-683 - Kenton (less than 25)