Western Buckeye League 2021

I don't want to be that guy but that grayish silver endzone and logo looks awful. Their colors are blue and yellow. Shouldn't the endzone be blue?
Bath is technically columbia blue, which is more of a powder blue than royal blue (Defiance/Allen East) or navy blue (O-G) . I don't see silver in those pictures as it's not shiny to me, but it is sort of gray. Maumee Bay Turf posted something about it being a custom color ("Bath Blue"). I agree, it's not as saturated of a blue as their track. It's hard to judge since it's not the finished product yet and we aren't seeing it in person, but it very well could be a case of a school having slightly mismatched shades of their primary color. Kind of like Celina and how sometimes they have a brighter green or darker green, or BGSU with their bright orange vs. burnt orange, or Michigan with their neon yellow vs. more golden maize. Also hard disagree about their midfield logo - it's killer, perfectly sized, and in general one of the better logos in the area (but that's a different conversation).

Those are usually the playoff games. You'd think the 7 on 7s would be a good opportunity for St Marys and Wapak to learn to pass the ball. I don't think either are going to simply overpower and run over the likes of Archbishop Alter, Trotwood-Madison, Badin, Bellbrook, or whoever else may be top tier in D3R12. Maybe in D4 or D5, but it hasn't worked out well for them in D3. St Marys and Wapak only average 2 to 3 completed passes per game. Even within the WBL, that's three to almost four times less than the next worst passing team. You can have an offensive philosophy that is strategically and unapologetically run-based and still have a competent passing attack.
What’s interesting is that Wapak practices lots of RPO and spread concepts during practice and these passing plays exist in the playbook. There’s even about 15-20 minutes worth of 7 on 7 each practice. It’s not like the only plays in the playbook are trap and sweep plays. I just don’t think Wapak or St. Mary’s has had capable passers to be able to throw the ball 10-15 times a game even.

Those are usually the playoff games. You'd think the 7 on 7s would be a good opportunity for St Marys and Wapak to learn to pass the ball. I don't think either are going to simply overpower and run over the likes of Archbishop Alter, Trotwood-Madison, Badin, Bellbrook, or whoever else may be top tier in D3R12. Maybe in D4 or D5, but it hasn't worked out well for them in D3. St Marys and Wapak only average 2 to 3 completed passes per game. Even within the WBL, that's three to almost four times less than the next worst passing team. You can have an offensive philosophy that is strategically and unapologetically run-based and still have a competent passing attack.

I remember Defiance in the peak Buti years having philosophy of "we're going to run it down your throat and throw when we WANT to." But even then, we'd average probably 8-12 completions a game with 2-3 of those being downfield strikes, and when up against the wall (Kenton 2003) we could throw for 350 yards and win a game if we had to.

I respect the strategy, I'm a run and defense first guy. But the fact after all these years those 2 haven't at least managed to figure out a few formations for the passing game to at least be a threat is crazy. I think Wapak in particular COULD be a threat in D3 if anyone respected the passing game at all.

What’s interesting is that Wapak practices lots of RPO and spread concepts during practice and these passing plays exist in the playbook. There’s even about 15-20 minutes worth of 7 on 7 each practice. It’s not like the only plays in the playbook are trap and sweep plays. I just don’t think Wapak or St. Mary’s has had capable passers to be able to throw the ball 10-15 times a game even.

Huh. I guess my question then is why practice it if you're not going to use it? Even without a capable passer, all it would take is even a little bit of an RPO, screen, or short passing threat to open things up.

I remember St. Marys in the past using the TE seam well to open things up. Doesn't take much, just the threat that if you load the box we'll take 6-7 yards and move on.

Bath is technically columbia blue, which is more of a powder blue than royal blue (Defiance/Allen East) or navy blue (O-G) . I don't see silver in those pictures as it's not shiny to me, but it is sort of gray. Maumee Bay Turf posted something about it being a custom color ("Bath Blue"). I agree, it's not as saturated of a blue as their track. It's hard to judge since it's not the finished product yet and we aren't seeing it in person, but it very well could be a case of a school having slightly mismatched shades of their primary color. Kind of like Celina and how sometimes they have a brighter green or darker green, or BGSU with their bright orange vs. burnt orange, or Michigan with their neon yellow vs. more golden maize. Also hard disagree about their midfield logo - it's killer, perfectly sized, and in general one of the better logos in the area (but that's a different conversation).

This is the logo Bath uses for their Twitter account.

bath.jpg

If you're gonna spend all that money to put in turf, why would you pick a dingy, dishwater "Bath blue", when bright, vibrant "Columbia" blue exists?

This is the logo Bath uses for their Twitter account.

View attachment 19299

If you're gonna spend all that money to put in turf, why would you pick a dingy, dishwater "Bath blue", when bright, vibrant "Columbia" blue exists?
Agreed. The Bath Football Twitter has their helmet as their profile picture, which again, show a different shade of blue and this time looks like more of a teal color. I know branding and a cohesive identity isn't exactly the priority for high schools, but it'd be nice if they'd be more consistent.

BathHelmet.jpeg

I know they’ll be a tough out it’s going to be interesting how much different they’ll be with Bo running things. I also heard Hinkle isn’t playing this year? I don’t know if that true but he’s a heck of a player.
I'd say it's a pretty safe bet he IS playing from what I hear.

How did league schools do with their first scrimmage? Any news/chatter?

These were supposed to be the match-ups:
Bath vs. DSJ
Celina vs. Greenville
Defiance vs. Liberty Center
Elida vs. St Henry
Kenton vs. Fort Loramie
O-G vs. Perrysburg
Shawnee vs. Spencerville
St Marys vs. Findlay
Van Wert vs. Bellefontaine/LCC/Allen East
Wapak vs. Coldwater

How did league schools do with their first scrimmage? Any news/chatter?

These were supposed to be the match-ups:
Bath vs. DSJ
Celina vs. Greenville
Defiance vs. Liberty Center
Elida vs. St Henry
Kenton vs. Fort Loramie
O-G vs. Perrysburg
Shawnee vs. Spencerville
St Marys vs. Findlay
Van Wert vs. Bellefontaine/LCC/Allen East
Wapak vs. Coldwater
Wapak had the upper hand in the first and ten portion with a long drive for a TD and held CW to zero first downs.

CW looked to control the line on the ten play portion of the scrimmage.

Wapak had the upper hand in the first and ten portion with a long drive for a TD and held CW to zero first downs.

CW looked to control the line on the ten play portion of the scrimmage.
I heard Tim Nichols is at Wapak and their offense is more of what he ran at LB?

Defiance, different year same story. Going to be a long season! ?

How bad was it?

I thought about going to check it out, heard the thunder, saw the radar, and decided not to. CN Sports Twitter said it ended early for lightning, but they gave zero updates on how it went. Cause why would they ACTUALLY want to work anymore?

I’m not sure how Coach Moyer does it. Bill Garland retired from Bath years ago and he got him to come out of retirement to coach offensive line. Coach Nichols steps down as head coach at LB and Moyer gets him as his offensive coordinator. Being close to the program I never thought Moyer had this amazing football mind but his ability to assemble a great coaching staff is outstanding. Coach Wells at Fort Laramie and Coach Harmon at Elida are two former Moyer assistants who left for head coaching jobs after their tenure at Wapak.

How bad was it?

I thought about going to check it out, heard the thunder, saw the radar, and decided not to. CN Sports Twitter said it ended early for lightning, but they gave zero updates on how it went. Cause why would they ACTUALLY want to work anymore?
Defense didn't look bad early, doing the 10 plays scrimmage, but at soon as they went to game like action LC run all over them. The offense barely moved the ball the whole scrimmage. Hopefully LC is really good this year.

In the Defiance / LC Scrimmage no one scored while I was there. LC threw a lot of interceptions. They dropped one pass in end zone. Defiance did absolutely nothing offensively. Their line play on both sides of ball was very bad. Until Defiance can get some players with some skill and sports IQ it doesn't matter who coaches. I will have to say they seemed more disciplined than the last few years with very few penalties and turnovers.

I like schools like Bath and Ayersville with those color schemes. Maize and Blue is the greatest color scheme in college football. Scarlet and gray is awful ?

I think Bath's blue is great because it isn't like every other red, black, orange or blue uniform. Go to a track or XC meet and it is very easy to spot a Bath athlete (unless Ayersville is competing too) unlike other schools. I think Bath has a hard time with having a uniform blue color because it is an uncommon color and you have to go with whatever light blue color is offered/available.

Shawnee moved the ball well and scored a few touchdowns against Spencerville Saturday. Spencerville scored on busted coverage TD pass but besides that shawnees defense looked good especially the D-Line

Here's a small write up from the Wapak Daily News about the Wapak-Coldwater scrimmage. Interesting to see Coach Moyer say "we have to be able to run the ball and throw the ball equally." Maybe we will be seeing new things from them finally.
Some people take 'equally' literally in terms of yardage/game.

When I hear a coach say something like that I take it a different way. I understand it as having the ability to win/control a game either passing or running depending on what the game dictates.

Very few HS teams have close to 50/50 #s in passing/rushing but some programs do have the ability to win games running AND passing. In the past programs like Wapak, St. Mary's, Kenton could only win 1 way and if it was shut down they were hosed.

Wapak threw it well in the portion I saw of the scrimmage. Much of it seemed to stem from very good protection and for the routes to develop and they hit some down the middle of the field. Will that still be there during the season when defense game plan and/or have more diverse blitz and coverage packages?

As they say.....time will tell. Time will tell.