Wendy's is downgrading its french fries

McDonald's: Fair can be hit or miss.

You buy a Happy Meal without kids in tow and you get an official visit.

Last edited:
Things have definitely changed. We go to Cane's sometimes and their drive-thru is 20+ cars deep most of the time. After watching people go in, we decided the next time to park the car and order at the counter. They didn't have dine-in but it saved us 30 minutes of their slow drive-thru. Can't understand why many of these people don't do the same thing. This is a college town so it is mostly late teen and early 20s that sit in those lines.
This is my take too. But my wife hates having to get out of the car just to get food and get back in. Have proven to her multiple times that going in to order is faster but she would rather sit.

Fun fact:

a large fry at McDonald’s is $3.50

a Happy Meal is only $1.99
Have not ordered at McDonald's in over 20 years and back then I think I recall a large fry was .99? Dollar menus were huge back then and I would order $2.97 worth of food and be satisfied for hours once the indigestion kicked in. Seriously, a meal for $2.97, can barely be done at home anymore.

Is the fry price hiked up for some reason other than the $15/hr wage?

Wendy's is upgrading downgrading its french fries

I've tasted them, not impressed. They have that stale potato chip taste that Burger King and Dairy Queen went to a number of years ago. Not sure why these places keep putting batter on fries. If they want to do that, just make jo-jo's. No sense changing what was a good fry.
Any truth to the rumor the guy they hired to "makeover" their fries was the same guy who lost his job at Coke after he developed the new Coke flavor?

One of the biggest selling points to any product is consistancy. If you are used to taste xyz and suddenly it changes your brain is going to have a serious argument with itself over what exactly it is you are eating and if it is safe since you have a flavor you expected but did not recieve. A large percentage of people will walk away from the product before they give a supposed known product a chance to remake itself in their subconscious eating enjoyment.

Finally tried these infamous "improved" fries yesterday. Was underwhelmed. Pretty much agree with Yappi's assessment. Noticed they were crisper and more golden. Flavor wasn't bad - I wouldn't call it stale, but definitely not as good as before. But if their goal was to make Gen Z'ers think they're getting better value by getting crisp french fries after all that time in the DoorDash cycle, then they succeeded.

McDonald's has the best fries, and the burgers are good too!

I actually had a really good Double Quarter Pounder from McDonald's the other day. I usually only get a double cheeseburger, Big Mac or single cheeseburger, but wanted something with more beef lol.

It's almost as good as Wendy's Double Cheeseburger, if you didn't have to wait 20 minutes in line at Wendy's.

Things have definitely changed. We go to Cane's sometimes and their drive-thru is 20+ cars deep most of the time. After watching people go in, we decided the next time to park the car and order at the counter. They didn't have dine-in but it saved us 30 minutes of their slow drive-thru. Can't understand why many of these people don't do the same thing. This is a college town so it is mostly late teen and early 20s that sit in those lines.
Because people can sit in their cars and listen to the radio, text, make phone calls, watch TV. Look at most McDonald's town, very little sitting area. Many, many people eat most of their meals in a vehicle. I'd be curious to know how much time in a year people spend waiting in drive thru's.
I stopped and grabbed a burger last week, McDonald's drive thru was back to the road/ double drive thru. Across the street Wendy's had no one. Now I prefer McDonald's, but considering I was in Wendy's drive thru about 2 minutes vs. 20-25 minutes at McD's, no contest.

Because people can sit in their cars and listen to the radio, text, make phone calls, watch TV. Look at most McDonald's town, very little sitting area. Many, many people eat most of their meals in a vehicle. I'd be curious to know how much time in a year people spend waiting in drive thru's.
I stopped and grabbed a burger last week, McDonald's drive thru was back to the road/ double drive thru. Across the street Wendy's had no one. Now I prefer McDonald's, but considering I was in Wendy's drive thru about 2 minutes vs. 20-25 minutes at McD's, no contest.

I think it varies. I live within 2 minutes of both, and are Wendy's has a non-stop line because their service sucks. Down where my work's office is, you could be the only car in line and wait 5 minutes at the McDonald's.

Likely comes down to the quality of the management.

I think it varies. I live within 2 minutes of both, and are Wendy's has a non-stop line because their service sucks. Down where my work's office is, you could be the only car in line and wait 5 minutes at the McDonald's.

Likely comes down to the quality of the management.
No doubt about that, but mostly around here, McDonald's/ Chick Fil-A has long lines (and are fairly efficient) but if you need quick you go to Burger King or Wendy's. Which makes me wonder how these places can stay in business.

I like Wendy's original fries. I haven't been happy since.
"The last time Wendy's changed their fries was in November 2010, when it added sea salt and used a natural "skin-on" cut. That was the first time it had tweaked the fries since opening in 1969."
Getting Old Baby Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Did Wendy's Just Ruin This Best-Selling Menu Item?

But what was supposed to be a new, revolutionary spud has received mostly mixed reviews. Many aren't impressed and have expressed their dissatisfaction on social media.

On Reddit, people were critical of the fries' extra coating, lamenting that they were as bad as Burger King's failed "stealth fries."