Weird stadiums

Shea Stadium for Norwood High School is a strange set up. It is not on the grounds of the high school, nor any school for that matter. It is sandwiched in an industrial area, right next to a rec. center, with factories and a rail yard as it's backdrop. Not to mention, little to no parking.

Stadium itself is pretty cool, very old concrete stands. Odd place though.

My football crew did several games at Norwood. One Friday night a train stopped for awhile and the engineers watched the game, yes they blew the train horn when Norwood scored a TD...

The Meigs field they used up until recently had no away stands. You sat on the hill side. Pretty cool field. Couldn’t find a picture of the away side

web1_8.2-Football-Field_ne20188118620857_ne201812615756694.jpg

Belle Vernon High in Pennsylvania has a Vegas gold colored turf field. Literally looks like you’re playing on a sandlot.
d4de24701dd5ea56b9d8b3267d13bd13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lahainaluna High in Hawaii has a gorgeous overlook of the ocean beyond the visiting bench.
c0d65aca7051a37aca507b7ad0e96b73.jpg

While in SF they also have one of the most gorgeous setting for HS Football in George Washington High School. End zone to end zone bleachers with no track and a view of the Golden Gate Bridge>

B35kCxBCUAIVTse.jpg:large

That is truly a beautiful scenic endzone backdrop. Simply awesome.

There's nothing special about the stadium, but the football field for Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando is across the street from Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park--and specifically the Harry Potter section of the park.

PiDRKKi.jpg

I couldn't find a picture, but I believe you can see the spires of the Hogwarts castle from the stadium.

Over in Illinois Howard Fellows Stadium home of La Salle Peru High School has one of the most unique set ups. The home grandstand built along a hill side while the visitors bleachers are mere inches away from the visitors sideline. And beyond the wall on the visitors side, spectators can view the game.
cb0dded0f1376e3f6fa87ce0a4c2a252.jpg
26f2af40a0970f8379da3157e48c81f3.jpg
4da3be59b232802eeb1487135d6a5bb9.jpg
d1e0afad999854a437d453a8faa176b2.jpg

A sub genre to this might be stadiums located in neighborhoods and not attached to the High School, I have always had a soft spot for these and they create a cool atmosphere. The previous mentioned Shaw is a good example and I guess back in the day when East Cleveland was a flourishing suburb it was a big tradition for the band to march from the school through the city to the field. Another located in a neighborhood is Don Paul in Fremont. Any others in Ohio?

A sub genre to this might be stadiums located in neighborhoods and not attached to the High School, I have always had a soft spot for these and they create a cool atmosphere. The previous mentioned Shaw is a good example and I guess back in the day when East Cleveland was a flourishing suburb it was a big tradition for the band to march from the school through the city to the field. Another located in a neighborhood is Don Paul in Fremont. Any others in Ohio?

Roger Bacon's stadium is not attached to the school either. Also the 2 I mentioned earlier in NKY are not attached to their schools either.

Roger Bacon's stadium is not attached to the school either. Also the 2 I mentioned earlier in NKY are not attached to their schools either.

I went to a Roger Bacon game last year and it was pretty cool. The players walking uphill back to the school in full uniform after the game was a bit of a throwback.

Louisville in Stark County would fit that. Awesome stadium right in the middle of a neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8335357,-81.2555693,359m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Now that's cool and greta history!

Leo Strang coached at Shaw before going to Massillon and KSU.

Portsmouth Spartan Municipal Stadium home of Portsmouth Norte Dame was once home to the NFL’s Portsmouth Spartans which are now the Detroit Lions back around the depression era. Walking into the stadium is a blast to the past with how old the structure is.
1dac531bbeb4a27da097ee253a18edd4.jpg

Another is Shaw Cardinal Stadium in East Cleveland and once served as home to the then Cleveland Rams I believe in 1941. Now the Rams are back in LA obviously.
817082297c3128e42317a473e0fa1482.jpg

NYC proper has a few stadiums that are all-purpose fields bounded by streets on all sides. Some with no seating. Some high schools in NYC don't allow fans to attend football games, or restrict it to the home team only.

A few fields are actually the roofs of underground parking garages. One is located on the site of old Yankee Stadium next to the new stadium.

EDIT: checked the site again and it's lined only for soccer now.

Some people would be surprised that Manhattan has high school football fields. They do. As with a lot of NYC fields, they're baseball/football/softball squares.

One in Manhattan is actually built over the Hudson River, as part of a parking deck. There are no stands. Fans can watch from the overlooks around the field.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190320-184938~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190320-184938~2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,284

Dover Crater Stadium fits this,a cool tradition is the band marching about 15 blocks from the high school to the stadium giving a short performance downtown with fans joining behind the band as they walk to the game.

Dover Crater Stadium fits this,a cool tradition is the band marching about 15 blocks from the high school to the stadium giving a short performance downtown with fans joining behind the band as they walk to the game.

Dotlestown Chippewa fits that description, too. The stadium literally looks like it's in multiple peoples' backyards.

Your archrival's stadium (New Philadelphia) fits into a similar but different subgenre of stadiums that are situated in parks. Always good to catch a game at the "Woody." Wadsworth and Columbiana also come to mind in that category, Malvern too.

Last edited:
War Memorial Stadium in Ada fits this genre, Ada High School , D6/7 plays here. Up until Ohio Northern built their new stadium they played at War Memorial as well
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...16f2971aa70763!8m2!3d40.7647475!4d-83.8199213

Coldwater's football stadium, Cavalier Stadium, is right by our park so that fits the bill technically.

415 Butler Street Coldwater, OH

This link has a picture that shows the edge of our park in the background. Its a Dave article so take that with a grain of salt.

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2017/02/01/coldwater-considering-field-turf-for-cavalier-stadium/

Another neighborhood stadium that has a great feel to it is Hole Field in Versailles. Walking to the stadium on the southside and being able to see down into the stadium is probably the best stadium perk in the whole league. If you've never been to Hole Field before, I highly recommend it.

Closest thing I could find to what I'm describing (Stadium has had a few updates since this picture):

https://www.google.com/search?q=hol...iw=1051&bih=504&dpr=1.3#imgrc=bTIhC2A0pjmLNM:

Last edited:
Trimble has their football field tied to their park. They shut down their state Route right in front of the stadium to have a parade before every home game. You gotta love small school football

New Lexington and Gallia still play in the middle of town

Most in south east Ohio have moved their schools and fields outside of the towns

Trimble has their football field tied to their park. They shut down their state Route right in front of the stadium to have a parade before every home game. You gotta love small school football

New Lexington and Gallia still play in the middle of town

Most in south east Ohio have moved their schools and fields outside of the towns

Did Trimble rebuild their stadium. I remember a couple years ago it was pretty much condemned.

Trimble is one of the only communities I've seen that truly shuts down on gameday.

Some people would be surprised that Manhattan has high school football fields. They do. As with a lot of NYC fields, they're baseball/football/softball squares.

One in Manhattan is actually built over the Hudson River, as part of a parking deck. There are no stands. Fans can watch from the overlooks around the field.
attachment.php

I have a lot of business in NYC and when flying into LaGuardia Airport you can see these unique set ups mentioned above, especially those in Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens. Space is so valuable you will see many of the diamonds sports where there is a baseball diamond in one end zone and a softball diamond in the other. Field turf was a great development for these facilties and in the spring and fall if there is no rain there is something going on at these places. The outline of the various sports creates a criss cross affect on the playing surface that probably makes it rough to know what is in or out of bounds.

This gives you another feel for what these complexes look like>
lehman-1-jumbo-v2.jpg