Week12: #4 Austintown Fitch (10-1) vs #5 Akron St.V/St. Mary (7-3)

STVM is a bit overrated based on comments here. I think Fitch wins. STVM is just 8 days removed from a 41-14 loss to Walsh Jesuit.
I wouldn't say that they are overrated. They are what they are! They are strong and fast and run the ball very well. They do put the ball on the ground too much and can be a little undisciplined and pick up silly penalties. The QB is accurate IF he has time to throw. Most of the interceptions seem to come when pressure forces him out of the pocket. If the Fitch DL can get into the Irish backfield, then they stand a good chance of getting some turnovers and making some big plays on defense. If the Irish OL protects him, then Carter has shown the ability to make some big plays downfield. On defense, the Irish are typically stout. The defense is more consistent than the offense. And they will HIT you! If the offense doesn't provide the opponent with short fields (!), then the Irish D is stingy and difficult to sustain drives on. All in all, it looks like a good match up for both teams and should be a great game.

Last edited:
I have seen Fitch twice. Have not seen St Vs. The key to beating Fitch is hard nosed smash mouth football. They are exceptional in the skill positions but are avg on the Oline and the front 7 of D. Smash mouth on offense. If you can sustain drives eat the clock and pound them. Do not get into a track meet with them. They have the best group of skill position and DBs I have seen in 2022. The DBs are exceptional in coverage but are not great in run support. Big backs in the 2nd level rumbling and eating clock is the way to go! Region 5 is loaded this is one of the two good matchups in the region. With Hudson vs Walsh being the other. Good luck to both teams, hopefully the winner stays healthy as a the meat girnder is just beginning in region 5!

I have seen Fitch twice. Have not seen St Vs. The key to beating Fitch is hard nosed smash mouth football. They are exceptional in the skill positions but are avg on the Oline and the front 7 of D. Smash mouth on offense. If you can sustain drives eat the clock and pound them. Do not get into a track meet with them. They have the best group of skill position and DBs I have seen in 2022. The DBs are exceptional in coverage but are not great in run support. Big backs in the 2nd level rumbling and eating clock is the way to go! Region 5 is loaded this is one of the two good matchups in the region. With Hudson vs Walsh being the other. Good luck to both teams, hopefully the winner stays healthy as a the meat girnder is just beginning in region 5!
That's a pretty fair analysis. What scares me about this game is I have seen Fitch an yes they are good but St.V is a really sneaky team especially come playoff time. I honestly feel like whoever wins the turnover battle has the upper hand in this matchup. Which I know is very cliche to say but this type of matchup in the 2nd round of the playoffs is gonna be huge. I'm kind of leaning towards the Irish just because I feel like they've been here before. Not saying Fitch hasn't but the playoffs is a different monster.

Well, if Fitch needs turnovers, then they've got the right opponent! Lol! The Irish are dramatically improved over last year. And they have dramatically improved as the year has gone on. However, one area of major concern is their tendency to turn the ball over. And it's been a group effort! You can't point at one position group and say that they are the problem. It's been the RB's; it's been the QB's; it's been the receivers. I can't tell what the issue is; whether they are trying to do too much? Anyway, for the Irish to have a chance against a team as good as Fitch, they have to limit their mistakes. And that means not only turnovers, but ill-timed penalties as well. If they can limit these, then they stand a very good chance of beating the Falcons. If not, then Fitch moves on to Hoban!
Took the words right out of my mouth, 60. In the Irish's three losses to Glenville, Hoban and Walsh - turnovers were a major reason that sealed the fate of the Irish that night. When they played cleaner, the results were different.

This may be the game that you sink or swim with Mansel at QB. Yes, I get that Carter is more dynamic and more experienced of a QB. He also has gone off the rails and thrown some bone headed, inexcusable, game changing interceptions. That won't fly against a team as solid as Fitch. Maybe I am too old school (or maybe just old), but I would prefer to have a better decision maker out there, and let the chips fall where they may. If we get beat, fine. But I don't want to gift wrap the game for Fitch.

Final note: Friday's forecast is a beauty - unheard of for Nov. 4th in NE Ohio. 73°/50° and sunny. Wow. Watch the following weekend be 40° and sleety.

Final note: Friday's forecast is a beauty - unheard of for Nov. 4th in NE Ohio. 73°/50° and sunny. Wow. Watch the following weekend be 40° and sleety.
If it holds up. You know Northeast Ohio weather. Can change in a blink of an eye. Here's hoping however.

GO Falcons!

For what it's worth Calpreps prediction site has,Fitch 38-28 over St.V.,they usually run about a 85-90 percent getting them right, so we will see,I seen on there the site for last weeks playoffs games they were 89.7 percent getting them right

Last edited:
For what it's worth Calpreps prediction site has,Fitch 38-28 over St.V.,they usually run about a 85-90 percent getting them right, so we will see,I seen on there the site for last weeks playoffs games they were 89.7 percent getting them right
Hmm, interesting.

This is going to be a hard fought game. Fitch has a great team this year and the Irish really seemed to be turning the corner against more tough opponents, that is until week 10. If STVM continues to make little mistakes and turn the ball over then Fitch will win.

As always though, it's the postseason, anything can happen!!

The Irish MUST MUST MUST play a clean game - free of costly turnovers, and silly penalties. Aka - Physician, heal thyself mentality. If they are successful in that venture, they have a good shot to win this game.

Friday's winner gets the winner of the Hoban /Barberton game. (I have seen both teams, and I am not picking an upset there.) That may be just the extra impetus the Irish need.

I am sure a number a Irish players and coaches are still seething over the way the Hoban game ended. SVSM last gasp died with 0:56 to go and seven points short on the scorebord. Any sane and high class coach would have called for two knees and call it a day.

But not Tyrell. He wanted to show his was bigger - and ran Sperling on a 48 yd TD play. I'd want another crack at that tool too.

The Irish MUST MUST MUST play a clean game - free of costly turnovers, and silly penalties. Aka - Physician, heal thyself mentality. If they are successful in that venture, they have a good shot to win this game.

Friday's winner gets the winner of the Hoban /Barberton game. (I have seen both teams, and I am not picking an upset there.) That may be just the extra impetus the Irish need.

I am sure a number a Irish players and coaches are still seething over the way the Hoban game ended. SVSM last gasp died with 0:56 to go and seven points short on the scorebord. Any sane and high class coach would have called for two knees and call it a day.

But not Tyrell. He wanted to show his was bigger - and ran Sperling on a 48 yd TD play. I'd want another crack at that tool too.
You forget the previous two meetings where Hoban elected to take knees late rather than “show theirs was bigger” when up late in the game vs the Irish. Was that not class? I wonder what changed prior to this year’s game…..

Regardless, good luck to the Fighting Irish. Pulling for them, for sure.

Last edited:
Point taken, Brian.

We all run across situations in life that really jump on the last nerve we have on that day. This year's holy war game was mine. Did I overreact? maybe. Still upsets me the way it ended, but that day is over - time to move on to Fitch.

As I said before, the Irish must play a clean 48 minutes or they rob themselves of any chance of winning. I will gladly shake the hand of an opponent if they beat you fair and square that day. I never like gift wrapping a victory for an opponent.

I'm starting to think that this is not a great match up for the Fitch defense. From reading some of the posts, it seems that what the Irish offense does well (run the ball) is not necessarily what the Fitch defense excels in stopping. I'll admit to knowing little about Fitch this year, but from what I am reading from those more in the know, it seems like the Irish will have the size advantage up front. If the Irish OL can control the line of scrimmage, then maybe they can wear down the Fitch defense. My guess is STVM would like to shorten the game with time of possession. If they don't have to throw the ball, they won't! So, if they can control the LOS and hold on to the ball, I can see a 28-24 Irish victory. The Irish defense is very good, but I think they'll have some issues containing the overall speed of Fitch at the skill positions. Either way, it should be a great game.

Oh my. Wow

I am going to head down to A-town tomorrow and cheer on my Falcons. I am hoping that the defensive backs will come up and make plays at the line of scrimmage. If they do that, we have a chance to stop St. V's a few times. Then when we stop them, we have to score. I think we can do it, and if we can get some stops, that will lead to St. V's passing, and we are pretty good against the pass. This is a tough game. Both have a lot of really good players. It's going to be up to the team who wants it more. I hope it's the Falcons. On a last note, Go Falcons!

With Massillon running the ball 64 times vs Fitch earlier this year - I’m guessing St V is going to run the ball 45 or more times tomorrow. My biggest key to this game is if Fitch made the adjustments in personal and scheme to make it tougher for th run game. If we can force St V to pass, I like our chances.

With Massillon running the ball 64 times vs Fitch earlier this year - I’m guessing St V is going to run the ball 45 or more times tomorrow. My biggest key to this game is if Fitch made the adjustments in personal and scheme to make it tougher for th run game. If we can force St V to pass, I like our chances.
I really don't understand why we can't stop the run. We have three D I guys up there. The only thing I can think of is the linebackers aren't that good.

I really don't understand why we can't stop the run. We have three D I guys up there. The only thing I can think of is the linebackers aren't that good.
Agreed. All three guys Robinson, Dahn and Fitz all have played very well this year with all three battling separate injuries. All pretty healthy now. I have to point to the extraordinary wide spreads of those three with the ends literally a yard outside the tackles on most plays and the four linebackers four yards off the ball. Our inside backers are active and very good cover guys but are about 190# and 175# pounds on the inside and not big on the outside either. The backs Fitch faced this year are some very stout and strong RBs that thier big offensive line only needs to redirect our three D-linemen and get a small piece of our backers to gain a eight yard chunk of yardage with the RB falling forward 99% of the time. That’s what I’ve seen from the strongest teams that the Falcons played this year.
Anywho - we’ll see live tomorrow at Falcons Stadium. Going to be a good entertaining game IMHO.