Week 9: St. Ignatius

ReLoad

The Jesuit Bowl will be played at Pat Catan Stadium in Strongsville, Ohio next Saturday October 16th when the Bombers (7-1) and Wildcats (4-3) square off for the 29th time.

The Bombers lead the series 15-13 which began in 1991 and includes 3 state championship games (1992, 2001 and 2016)

Strongsville Ohio will be a new locale for the teams and will be the 8th stadium used in the series, the other 7 being....
George Finnie Stadium at Baldwin Wallace College (1), Fawcett Stadium in Canton OH (2), StX Stadium (12), Lakewood Stadium (2), Byers Field in Parma (7), Don Shula Stadium at John Carroll College (3) and Ohio Stadium in Columbus (1)

The Bombers have won the past 2 contests, last season's record setting offensive explosion 62-37 on Ballaban Field and the 2019 13-10 squeaker at Byers Field in Parma

Coach Specht’s Bomber teams have beaten the Wildcats 11 of 18 games (2004-present)

The JV kickoff is at noon also at Pat Catan Stadium followed by varsity at 4pm.

Watch on ESPX: https://boxcast.tv/channel/kcDxLlLCeqOvc4rAmBlg

GO BOMBERS!

Week 9 Opponent: St. Ignatius at a Glance
2020 Record: 3-4, lost to Medina 33-26 in the Region 1 Final
Key Losses: WR Jack Dunstan, WR Alec Laspina, LB Aidan Conway, LB Cole Smith
Key Players: RB Marty Lenehan, LB Chris Aerni, PK/P Zeb Eldridge, DE Peter Chaloub

Last edited:
Wildcat Results to Date
lost to Springfield (8-0) 21-20, lost to Mentor (3-5) 28-26, beat Mt St Joseph (4-2) 20-6, beat Euclid (0-8) 44-14, beat Hoban (6-2) 33-27, beat River Rouge (4-2) 24-12, lost to St. Edward (8-0) 19-14, lost to Moeller (6-2) 29-28 OT

Remaining schedule: StX (7-1)

8 Opponents cumulative record 39-21

Harbin Total of 11.51 is #10 in Region 1

Last edited:
St. Ignatius Offense
80 TE Sean Ward Sr. 6’5” 230lb
76 LT Ashton Montgomery Sr. 6’3” 285lb
60 RT Dominic Ference Jr. 6’2” 275lb
61 C Pat Lavelle Jr. 6’0” 270lb
75 RG Wil Witalis Sr. 6’3” 260lb
74 RT Brian Keane Sr. 6’5” 300lb
12 QB Pierce Spencer Jr. 5’11” 195lb
22 RB Marty Lenehan Sr. 5’11” 190lb Captain
4 RB Joey Georges Sr. 5'9" 171lb
81 WR Patrick Tompkins Sr. 6’3” 190lb
19 WR Colin Vollmer Sr. 6’1” 195lb
11 WR Steve Bodamer Jr. 6’1” 185lb
82 WR Max Muresan Sr. 6'1" 160lb
5 P/PK Zeb Eldridge Sr. 6’2” 175lb

St. Ignatius Defense
91 LE Joseph Kause Sr. 6’0” 230lb / 87 Will Robinson Jr. 6'5" 240lb
99 NG Tom Wasinski Sr. 5’10” 250lb
95 RE Peter Chaloub Sr. 6’2” 250lb Captain
35 LB Max Palinski Jr. 6’1” 205lb
39 LB Gavin Berger Sr. 6’1” 205lb
34 LB Chris Aerni Sr. 5’11” 210lb Captain
88 S Anthony Spellacy So. 6’2” 180lb
9 S Griffin Taliack Sr. 6’0” 175lb
30 S Joe Norris Sr. 6’1” 180lb
6 CB John Mangan Sr. 6’1” 170lb
24 CB Frank Pike Sr. 6’1” 175lb / 8 Brandon Webster Jr. 6'0" 175lb

Last edited:
The Wildcats 3 losses have been by a total of 8 points.
Two of those losses were to 8-0 teams St. Edward and Springfield and their most impressive win was a 33-27 win over D2 power Hoban

In last season's 62-37 Bomber win 6 of this year's Wildcat starters played: safety Griffin Taliak (6 tackles and 1 sack), LB Chris Aerni (5 tackles and 1 sack), LB Gavin Berger (3 tackles), S Joe Norris (3 tackles), NG Tom Wasinski (2 tackles) and CB Jack Mangan (1 tackle)

Offensively in that game workhorse RB Marty Lenehan had 25 carries for 145 yards and QB Joey Pfaff ran 4 times for 29 yards and was 9 for 15 for 136 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs.

Pfaff was injured 2 weeks ago early in the game vs River Rouge and has yet to return to the lineup.
Junior QB Pierce Spencer took over vs River Rouge and got the start in the loss to St. Edward last week.
Occasionally WR Patrick Tompkins filled in at QB vs St. Edward.
We'll see who is QB in their game tomorrow vs Moeller at Norwood Stadium

Ignatius loses to Moeller in OT.
Their QB situation is a mess.
We could see any or all of the following next Saturday
#17 Joey Pfaff senior (started first 5 games, injured in week 6)
#12 Pierce Spencer junior (played in past 3 games)
#81 Pat Tompkins senior (usually plays WR)
#18 Josh Papesh sophomore
#25 Sean Martin sophomore

Good synopsis
Pfaff also missed week 3 due to injury and got hurt in game 6 very early. So, he essentially he played in weeks 1,2,4,5
Yes, the QB situation is a mess

5 sophomores were added to the varsity roster for the push to state
LB Noah Beck leading tackler on JV to help on special teams
QB Jack O'Malley for varsity experience; if McCaughey goes down before game decided Ryan Nolan is in.
DL Justin Kattus for rotation depth
CB Macen Hall
CB Cole Harris
a couple of cornerbacks if Kemper or Nolan goes out or Nolan has to play QB

If I didn't any better the coaching staff is trying to improve the competition on scout teams to give the 1s a better look. It will also give these 4 to 8 more weeks of practice depending on how far X goes in the playoffs

Jv wraps up on Saturday, is it possible they add anymore JV guys for scout team purposes or are these last moves it moving forward?

If I didn't any better the coaching staff is trying to improve the competition on scout teams to give the 1s a better look. It will also give these 4 to 8 more weeks of practice depending on how far X goes in the playoffs
All true.
I've seen players get added to the roster late in the season and see action.
Already this season with O'Malley playing a quarter plus in the LaSalle game last Friday
Beck may get in on kickoff or punt coverage like freshman Cole Jones in 2011.
And if we saw our best corner sub in the Trinity game, I'm all for giving the sophs a look like X did with sophomore Brody Ketron in 2013

Last edited:
Cleveland St. Ignatius (X leads series 15-13)
1991 X lost 39-10 Week 9 at George Finnie Stadium at Baldwin Wallace College (finished 5-5)
1992 X lost 24-14 State Championship at Fawcett Stadium (injuries to QB Jamie Doxsey and RB Kevin Ritter doom X)
1996 X lost 35-14 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium (crappy game and crappy year finished 2-7)
1997 X lost 19-14 Week 9 at Lakewood Stadium (9-3 Bombers lost to Moe twice who lost to McKinley in finals)
1999 X won 50-33 Week 9 at Lakewood Stadium (Cheerios Bowl: 565 yards total offense, Steve Sollman 6 TDs)
2000 X lost 29-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium (finished 8-4 and lost to Colerain in the 2nd round)
2001 X won 42-41 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (21 unanswered 4th qtr points for come from behind win)
2001 X lost 37-6 State Championship at Fawcett Stadium (payback for week 9 loss as Wildcat injured players return)
2002 X won 18-17 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium (avenge last year's state final loss and sneak into playoffs as #8 seed)
2003 X won 20-17 Week 9 at Byers Field (despite the win the 6-3 Bombers miss the playoffs in Rasso's final season)
2004 X won 13-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (Brandon Bryant led defense holds Iggy to 170 yards total offense)
2005 X won 22-0 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (Darius Ashley 19 carries for 136 yards and 2 TDs)
2006 X won 17-0 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (X +4 turnovers, Ashley 103 yards and 1 TD)
2007 X won 17-14 2OT Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (Danny Milligan FG in double overtime wins it)
2008 X lost 19-16 in OT Week 9 at Ballaban Field (Kuechly/Muldoon hold iggy to 10 first downs and 154 yards total)
2009 X lost 30-21 Week 9 at John Carroll (4 turnovers doom the Bombers)
2010 X won 19-9 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (Steven Daniels 7 tackles and 3 sacks leads the Bomber D)
2011 X won 14-12 Week 9 at John Carroll (Kilgore and Hilliard run for 223 yards, Stroube 14 tackles and 1 sack)
2012 X lost 32-21 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (StI's Tim McVey carries 36 times for 145 yards and 4 TDs)
2013 X won 13-10 Week 9 at John Carroll (Trevor Bechtold 4th quarter FG wins it)
2014 X won 24-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (TDs by Ben Glines, Noah Davis and Ron Fricke carry X to victory)
2015 X lost 34-20 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (after 13-0 lead, Wildcats score 34 unanswered points)
2016 X lost 31-14 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (Pat Ryan throws for 3 TDs)
2016 X won 27-20 (2 OT) State Championship at Ohio Stadium in Columbus (Sean Clifford leads X in improbable win)
2017 X lost 28-14 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (Wildcat Jahadge Floyd 36 carries 215 yards and 1 TD)
2018 X lost 27-20 Week 9 at Ballaban Field (X squanders 20-10 second half lead; 5 turnovers)
2019 X won 13-10 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma (Lang and Clifford combine for 15 catches for 185 yards)
2020 X won 62-37 Week 6 at Ballaban Field (723 yards offense, QB Brogan McCaughey 39 for 51 for 556 yards and 5 TDs, WR Liam Clifford 12 catches for 300 yards and 2 TDs, CK Kellom 14 carries for 145 yards and 2 TDs)

Last edited:
StX vs St. Ignatius by the Numbers
Average Margin of Victory: 11 points
Average Points per Game: 41
Average Score per Game: 26-15
State Championships (3): Ignatius leads 2-1
X record on Ballaban Field: 6-6
X record on the road (all non home games) 9-7
Winning Streaks: St. Ignatius 4 (1991-1997) StX 6 (2002-2007)
Specht vs Kyle: StX leads 11-7

5 Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order:
1. 2016 State Championship unbelievable OT win at Columbus Stadium
2. 2001 Regular Season 42-41 win scored 21 unanswered 4th quarter points shocking the Wildcat home crowd
3. 1999 In a crazy 50-33 win Steve Sollman sets single game record with 6 TDs in a downpour at Lakewood Stadium; the game was hyped by teams appearing on the Cheerios Box. St. I goes on to win state while X is knocked out be Dayton Wayne in round 3.
4. 2020 Record setting 62-37 win as McCaughey and Liam Clifford shatter single game records
5. 2007 Fantastic defensive struggle in terrible weather in Parma as Danny Milligan hits the FG in double OT for the 17-14 victory to preserve the perfect season for the best StX team in Bomber history

5 Least Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order
1. 2001 State Championship 37-6 beat down, Mooney no time to throw and defense couldn't stop Szepf, Welo and Gonzalez
2. 1992 State Championship 24-14 loss after leading 14-10 at the half, the offense inept in 2nd half with injured QB and RB on sidelines
3. 2012 32-21 loss wearing pink uniforms the Bombers were unable to stop Tim McVey (36 carries for 145 yards and 4 TDs)
4. 2017 An undefeated Bomber team (8-0) is unable to stop Jahadge Floyd (36 carries for 215 yards) and loses 28-14
5. 2008 the Bomber defense led by seniors Luke Kuechly and Pat Muldoon hold Iggy to 10 first downs and 150 yards but lose in 19-16 in OT due to injury depleted offense. Team misses playoffs and who would turn out to be one of the NFLs greatest season ends in week 10

Last edited:
5 Questions to ponder

1. Who will be the St. Ignatius QB?
Will senior Pfaff return after his week 6 injury (#17 was spotted on the sidelines signaling in plays vs Moeller at Norwood stadium)
If not will they go with the junior #12 Spencer who has been ineffective the past 2 games
Or do they go with who appears to be the Yappi favorite sophomore #18 Papesh who played in the second half vs Moeller (7 for 14 for 89 yards and 1 INT). Or do they go with #81 WR Tompkins who is probably more valuable running routes than under center
StI in depth summary of Moeller game: https://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/news_article/show/1187924

2. Why Strongsville?

3. Does Parker stay at center and Uhl at right guard? or Uhl back to center and Parker to right tackle?

4. Do any sophomores besides Hammond and Napier get PT or were the additions strictly for practice purposes? O'Malley again at QB if game decided and Beck on special teams?

5. Will Center Grove and StX play this season?

Good synopsis
Pfaff also missed week 3 due to injury and got hurt in game 6 very early. So, he essentially he played in weeks 1,2,4,5
Yes, the QB situation is a mess
Gotta believe the Ignatius coaching staff watched the Trinity game film and will go with the most mobile QB available, which takes Spencer out.
Tompkins may be the best dual threat of the group although Pfaff and Papesh are pretty mobile

5 Questions to ponder

1. Who will be the St. Ignatius QB?
Will senior Pfaff return after his week 6 injury (#17 was spotted on the sidelines signaling in plays vs Moeller at Norwood stadium)
If not will they go with the junior #12 Spencer who has been ineffective the past 2 games
Or do they go with who appears to be the Yappi favorite sophomore #18 Papesh who played in the second half vs Moeller (7 for 14 for 89 yards and 1 INT). Or do they go with #81 WR Tompkins who is probably more valuable running routes than under center
StI in depth summary of Moeller game: https://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/news_article/show/1187924

2. Why Strongsville?

3. Does Parker stay at center and Uhl at right guard? or Uhl back to center and Parker to right tackle?

4. Do any sophomores besides Hammond and Napier get PT or were the additions strictly for practice purposes? O'Malley again at QB if game decided and Beck on special teams?

5. Will Center Grove and StX play this season?
I would think Papesh, but I would not trust the decision making of any of the QB's that played against Moeller, especially if X is getting home on pressure.

Better than Byers. Even the band complained about that stadium.

I wonder if the Uhl/ Parker shakeup is potentially matchup driven due to size disparity. Uhl does extremely well for his smaller size, and Koch is a more than serviceable right tackle. Having Parker play on the outside does provide better balance to the line. There is not a better inside lineman in the state though, and he has the attitude that he not only wants to win the block, but he wants to bury people.

Guessing practice and running clock scenarios only. Napier showed better patience last Friday, which was good to see. When he finds a crease, he can be explosive getting through it. Hammond continues to be a stud.

Please stop.

The Wildcats currently are 10th in a region headed by a pair of undefeateds in Medina (8-0) and St. Ed (8-0)
I favor Medina, a senior heavy team with a 5 star dual threat strong arm QB and a lock down defense.
Penn State bound QB Drew Allar (6’5” 220lb) has several speedy receivers (Jackson, Hensley, Schramm and Knowles)
Heading the list is JaJuan Jackson (4.39 speed and 36” vertical) who averages nearly 30 yards a catch.
Jackson never leaves the field, returning punts and kickoffs and playing cornerback on the defense
LB Matt Spatny (6'3" 240lb) and DT Antonio Coleman (6'0" 260lb) also pull double duty and take turns running the ball on offense
On either side of Coleman are defensive ends Ryan Farrell (6'3" 245lb) and Nick Manley (6'3" 260lb)

Lakota West (6-1) with their stellar defense is still the best bet to challenge X for the region 4 title.
Their offense was successful vs StX in week 1 when defensive studs Brown and Afari jump to that side of the ball.
Lakota East (7-1) who lost to Moeller by 15 and beat Sycamore, Colerain and Mason by 14 points total, get a chance to prove themselves vs West in week 10.
Mediocre Moeller (6-2), with back to back 1 point overtime wins vs Elder and St. Ignatius, stays in the conversation.
They are considerable underdogs in the final 2 games vs St. Edward and King (Detroit, MI)

Lakota West (6-1) with their stellar defense is still the best bet to challenge X for the region 4 title.
Their offense was successful vs StX in week 1 when defensive studs Brown and Afari jump to that side of the ball.
Lakota East (7-1) who lost to Moeller by 15 and beat Sycamore, Colerain and Mason by 14 points total, get a chance to prove themselves vs West in week 10.
Mediocre Moeller (6-2), with back to back 1 point overtime wins vs Elder and St. Ignatius, stays in the conversation.
They are considerable underdogs in the final 2 games vs St. Edward and King (Detroit, MI)
I’d prefer “much improved” as opposed to “mediocre”, considering the last 2 seasons.
Anyway, Moe actually lost to Elder in OT by 1 point and Beat St I in OT by 1 point. Figure I’d point this out before the Elder guys do. ?

Last edited:
Reload is providing every statistical metric in the X vs. Ignatius series.

Here's the eye test metric-

Ignatius isn't a very good team. Defensively played well overall but no studs (Taliak might be the exception)

Offense is two steps below bad in the passing game. Lenihan runs with heart but has zero help. Offensive schemes do not fit the personnel trying to run it, and the playcalling/sticking with certain players at key positions has been awful.

Ignatius football has been on the downward trend for years.(And X beat some of the better teams before the trend)

X scored 60+ points last year on Ignatius. It would take 3 games for this Cats Offense to score 60.

X is very good on both sides, and again, Specht has owned Kyle head to head.

Facts.

I’d prefer “much improved” as opposed to “mediocre”, considering the last 2 seasons.
Anyway, Moe actually lost to Elder in OT by 1 point and Beat St I in OT by 1 point. Figure I’d point this out before the Elder guys do. ?
My shots at the other GCL schools aim to get a rise out of birdog, pboy who occasionally enter our forum uninvited to spew their nonsense
You seem like a friendly bloke.....sorry you got caught in the crossfire.
Having endured the Moeller dynasty for 3 decades I admit I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy the demise of the evil empire
For so long it was Mancuso and Fuzzy's world and everyone else were bit players.
I get the argument that a strong GCL-S is better for all involved especially now that the GMC has taken another step to lock us out.
So maybe I'm hoping Moeller does improve a bit and can be more competitive.
Please continue to proofread and fact check my posts as I am well aware of my ability to twist the truth.
I"m also aware that it only takes 1 Ragland to come along to make the evil empire an R4 contender

Reload is providing every statistical metric in the X vs. Ignatius series.

Here's the eye test metric-

Ignatius isn't a very good team. Defensively played well overall but no studs (Taliak might be the exception)

Offense is two steps below bad in the passing game. Lenihan runs with heart but has zero help. Offensive schemes do not fit the personnel trying to run it, and the playcalling/sticking with certain players at key positions has been awful.

Ignatius football has been on the downward trend for years.(And X beat some of the better teams before the trend)

X scored 60+ points last year on Ignatius. It would take 3 games for this Cats Offense to score 60.

X is very good on both sides, and again, Specht has owned Kyle head to head.

Facts.
Winning the Jesuit Bowl is of paramount importance so I refuse to leave any angle uncovered.
Also I don't want to be responsible for another Bomber loss......the rope burns from the Yappi noose are still visible
A couple weeks ago we fell under a spell and believed that X was facing a winless, talent-less, leader-less team from Louie ville.
Not going to let that happen again.
I hear and read the claims that the Wildcats coaching staff is well past their prime and the player talent pipeline dried up years ago yet this year's team somehow has been in every game and gave undefeated Springfield and St. Edward all they could handle.
Forget last season's massacre.
The St. Ignatius program, like Trinity, should and will be taken seriously
GO X!

For those coming up north from Cincinnati, the Ignatius Wildcats welcome our Jesuit brothers for a
joint tailgate starting during the JV game and going until the 4 pm game time.

Welcome to our brothers! Hope to see some of you there!

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.17.55 PM.png

Let's welcome our Jesuit Brothers with a Cleveland Style Tailcat! We can show the southern contingent how it's done!

Thank you in advance to everyone for pitching in this week and making our BIGGEST Tailcat of the year a success!

1:00PM

Parking lot of Pat Catan Stadium

*please see map below for specifics on the location as there are several lots

We will be set up with a buffet in the lot marked in Blue and we will have a 40x40 tent sent up in the area marked in Red for people to congregate.
Directions
Coming from the Ohio 82 exit (#231) off I-71, go west past SouthPark mall to the intersection of U.S. 42 and Ohio 82 (<2 miles)
Take a left (south) on U.S. 42 (Pearl Rd) for ~1 mile. You should enter off of Pearl Road just past the Post Office - take a right onto Rademaker-Miller Lane. There is parking for over 300 right next to the tailgate area. There is also parking off Lunn Rd, which is the traffic light before the Post Office

*PARKING IS $5.00 AT ALL LOTS

LET'S GO CATS!!

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.18.10 PM.png

Rohmiller kicks off with 15 mph wind at his back into the endzone
Joey Pfaff back from injury in at QB for the Wildcats.
Lenehan no gain, incomplete pass, and on 3rd and 10 interception by Kemper
Bomber ball at Iggy 30: 2 carries by Kellom for 21 yards, then 8 yard TD pass to Max Klare, XP good
X leads 7-0

1st down and PI on X takes the ball into Bomber territiroy
On 1st down Pfaff to Muresan for 45 yard TD pass. XP good
7-7