Week 7: Trinity

ReLoad

The Bombers (2-4) hit the road next Friday and head southwest to battle the Louisville Trinity Shamrocks (3-3)

Shamrock games: beat Carmel 17-7, lost to Moeller 28-3, beat Center Grove 29-28 (2 OT), beat LaSalle 31-10, lost to Male 23-21, lost to LSX 13-8

X leads the series 6-4, however the Bombers have lost the last 3 games (total of 12 points), last winning in 2010

Series Results
1958 X won 16-0
1997 X won ????
2003 X won 24-17 Week 2 at Louisville Trinity
2007 X won 47-31 Week 4 at Ballaban Field
2008 X lost 17-6 Week 5 at Papa Johns Stadium University Louisville
2009 X won 43-13 Week 4 at Ballaban Stadium
2010 X won 17-10 Week 4 at Louisville Trinity
2011 X lost 17-7 Week 4 at Ballaban Field
2012 X lost 14-13 Week 4 at Louisville Trinity
2021 X lost 33-32 Week 7 at Ballaban Field

The Chase Herbstreit era is underway!

And the post game with Coach Specht indicates more changes are on the way.
“Back to the drawing board. A lot of things were exposed. We’ve got to look at other people across the board, every position on the field it’s time to give other kids an opportunity to play”

Sophomore CB Shane Strayhorn played the entire 2nd half
That makes 4 sophomores starting on varsity: Herbie, Strayhorn, Tucker Kattus and Bishop.

Plenty of other talented sophomores available…..DE Gordy Sulfsted? OL Charlie Lynch? OL/DL Eric Fleetwood? S Magnus Violet? WR Hayden Shamsi? RB PJ Roberson? RB Ben Lehman?

Where will O’Malley be at practice on Monday?
Vollmer will be backup to Herbie (or will he be in the backfield with him vs LaSalle in a couple weeks)

Playbook wise, the easier transition would be to WR, but the defense is hurting with the injury to Myers at safety.......pretty sure Jack has played offense his first 2 years at X but he's an athlete that could make the transition like Ryan Nolan last year.

Not surprised if other moves happen. Like in the Loyola game, there seemed to be a lack of effort and hunger. Offense responded to Herbstreit, and maybe it's time to put Hammond back on the nose.

Not surprised if other moves happen. Like in the Loyola game, there seemed to be a lack of effort and hunger. Offense responded to Herbstreit, and maybe it's time to put Hammond back on the nose.
I expect more moves on defense than offense.

Bomber Offense
The Bombers have had no problem moving the football, averaging 338 yards per game.
Last Friday night they gained 362 yards, made 20 first downs, were in the red zone 6 times yet only had 10 points to show for it.

As Herbstreit gets practice snaps this week with the first group look for increases in game yardage and red zone conversions.

Several skill players had solid contributions in the 2 wins but disappeared in the 4 losses.

The steadiest performers have been Napier, Sharp and Wassler.
So I would expect the offense to center on those 3 and Herbstreit.

Junior TE Luke Klare had his best game of the season with a couple of catches for 25 yards.

As for the OLine I don't think there will be much change.....could the addition of one of the underclassmen on the varsity roster (Jennings, Lynch etc) be an improvement?

Bomber Defense
Bonner, Beck and Houston will be in the starting lineup.
After that it's anyone's guess

Looking forward to a great trip to Louisville and my first in Shamrock Stadium (or whatever they call it). Been to LSX many times and was at the Papa John's game in 2008 (which was a week late due to a power outage the week before). The 2008 game coincided with the Ryder Cup at Valhalla and made for an unbelievable day of Ryder Cup + St. X at Papa John's - too bad the game wasn't that great.

Anyhow, I'll be there cheering for the Bomber players/high school student athletes as I always do. They have given me so much more over the years (as has this coaching staff) than I have ever given them. They are the ones that bust their butts day-in, day-out trying to get better- trying to win every game. All I do is pay my 10 bucks for the privilege of getting to enjoy that. And for that, each and every one of them deserves nothing more than my utmost support and respect.

BTW, the definition of a troll/fair weather fan is someone who disappears for weeks/months but shows up to bitch when things go south. In the words of Mike Singletary "Cannot play with 'em. Cannot coach with 'em. Cannot win with 'em."

Where will O’Malley be at practice on Monday?
Vollmer will be backup to Herbie (or will he be in the backfield with him vs LaSalle in a couple weeks)

Playbook wise, the easier transition would be to WR, but the defense is hurting with the injury to Myers at safety.......pretty sure Jack has played offense his first 2 years at X but he's an athlete that could make the transition like Ryan Nolan last year.
If Vollmer now the backup and O’Malley being moved to a different position, I’d say the Coaching staff really screwed up the QB position this yr from the get go. Thought the X OL was pretty soft too. Least the X fans don’t complain that the Schedule is to hard like most of the Elder fans have the last couple of yrs.

If Vollmer now the backup and O’Malley being moved to a different position, I’d say the Coaching staff really screwed up the QB position this yr from the get go. Thought the X OL was pretty soft too. Least the X fans don’t complain that the Schedule is to hard like most of the Elder fans have the last couple of yrs.
O'Malley is leading the GCL in passing yardage (and probably TD passes, too)-- so if that is "screwing up the QB position this yr from the get go", it's a pretty strange way of demonstrating it... O'Malley has also run the ball very effectively, when asked/forced to do so... O'Malley is NOT the problem with this X team.

O'Malley is leading the GCL in passing yardage (and probably TD passes, too)-- so if that is "screwing up the QB position this yr from the get go", it's a pretty strange way of demonstrating it... O'Malley has also run the ball very effectively, when asked/forced to do so... O'Malley is NOT the problem with this X team.
Well then you might want to tell the coaches that, because they pulled him and all signs point to him being replaced. So then does he really lose his starting job from a rumor he mouthed off to the coach? Would it be a mistake to replace him?

If your argument holds water, then are they not making a QB change?

The Moeller QB leads the GCL in passing yardage, completion percentage and touchdowns. Typical mistake ridden post My sources point to a little insubordination on the part of a certain QB. Nothing serious, just a teachable moment. GBM

I think there is more to the O'Malley situation than we will ever know. Seemed like a very odd sequence of events for him to be pulled in the game when it happened. And to say Herbstreit lead the team down the field is not telling the entire narrative. It was very obvious the play calling changed when Herbstreit went into the game. StX struggles are more than a QB issue. Elder flat out owned the LOS with smaller players. The Panthers simply played with more determination.

I don't think we will see Volmer on the Varsity field this season. Specht has never played a freshmen QB and I can't see him throwing Vollmer to the wolves this season. It wouldn't even fair to him to throw him out there this season. Let him play JV games, but no sense in him playing Varsity minutes at this point. Then let everything play out in the off season and over the summer as to who is the starting QB next season.

The Moeller QB leads the GCL in passing yardage, completion percentage and touchdowns. Typical mistake ridden post My sources point to a little insubordination on the part of a certain QB. Nothing serious, just a teachable moment. GBM
If your data is accurate, then I stand corrected-- watching X on streaming cast, the X announcers stated that O'Malley was "leading the GCL in passing yards" (they also said X's RB was second in rushing behind Moeller's Marshall)-- I took it at face value, without checking it. Either way, O'Malley has done a creditable job, passing for considerable yardage and TDs-- playing a FAR tougher schedule against FAR tougher defenses, so far, than Moeller's QB has faced.

I have no knowledge about the QB/coach insubordination claim.

Well then you might want to tell the coaches that, because they pulled him and all signs point to him being replaced. So then does he really lose his starting job from a rumor he mouthed off to the coach? Would it be a mistake to replace him?

If your argument holds water, then are they not making a QB change?
I don't know if X is making a QB change. I just don't think that the QB is the problem with this X team-- he's not perfect-- but he's not the glaring problem...

As usual, with QBs and presidents, they get far too much credit (when things are going well) for things that they didn't really do, and far too much blame (when things are going poorly) for things that they didn't do (or don't/can't control). Jim Plunkett is a both a college and pro Hall of Fame QB-- and the greatest Stanford QB ever (IMO), but he couldn't get a free cup of coffee in Boston, after his first 5 seasons with the Patriots-- then, he got with a different team, and won two Super Bowls with the Raiders-- so much of the perception of a QB depends on the players around him.

If your data is accurate, then I stand corrected-- watching X on streaming cast, the X announcers stated that O'Malley was "leading the GCL in passing yards" (they also said X's RB was second in rushing behind Moeller's Marshall)-- I took it at face value, without checking it. Either way, O'Malley has done a creditable job, passing for considerable yardage and TDs-- playing a FAR tougher schedule against FAR tougher defenses, so far, than Moeller's QB has faced.

I have no knowledge about the QB/coach insubordination claim.
O’Malley was the leader in yards during the broadcast, so the announcers were correct. Obviously that changed after both games on Friday (Moe v La Salle & Elder v X). Now, Dunn leads the league in yards by a handful.

The insubordination claim was mentioned by a poster on the Elder v X thread on the Elder league/school section. 🤔

The X OL is a huge issue. Experience working together is playing a part in that, as is general first team experience. But I also think about the lack of recruiting of some of these kids who have good size. Fogler got offers early based on his size alone, but nothing since. Kattus will get the same. The other three should be getting FCS looks with their size, but only Fleetwood has an offer. I'm sure the sudden passing of their position coach over the summer has a significant impact, so some pass, but man they've been inconsistent at best.

Varsity had two OL coaches last year. Neither are coaching OL this year. Fleetwood is only returner with starter experience and he started because Renneker tore his ACL. More than any group, OL has to play as one unit. They have to trust the person to their left and right to read the stunts and blitzes the same. That is not happening with this group. Also note that they swapped positions for RT and RG vs Elder. Clearly they were already experimenting with a new combination.

I think there is more to the O'Malley situation than we will ever know. Seemed like a very odd sequence of events for him to be pulled in the game when it happened. And to say Herbstreit lead the team down the field is not telling the entire narrative.
With them taking equal snaps this week, naming the starter likely an end of the week decision.
I don't think we will see Volmer on the Varsity field this season. Specht has never played a freshmen QB and I can't see him throwing Vollmer to the wolves this season. It wouldn't even fair to him to throw him out there this season.
Vollmer won't be varsity QB this season, but don't rule him out for RB/WR in Week 8 or after.
They've already pulled 1 frosh up for this Friday.

Hearing O'Malley gets the nod this week. Looking forward to the Bombers finishing the season strong and rolling into the playoffs.

Interesting that in his podcast this week, SS mentioned some offensive players moving to D. I think Adams played on the D side in the past, and could see him moving over. Maybe O'Malley goes over, possibly at safety if Meyers is going to be out a while.

I can see Vollmer being on the playoff roster, but I think he'd be third string at best, and O'Malley would be the back up if they went with Herbstreit. I can see thr one WR on the frosh team moving up before that, as well as possibly Shamsi and King from JV. All 3 have very good size and speed and make contested catches.

Hearing O'Malley gets the nod this week. Looking forward to the Bombers finishing the season strong and rolling into the playoffs.
Also hearing O'Malley getting the start.

Something similar happened 14 years ago at the Pit.
NFL great Luke Kuechley "went off script" and was benched early in the first half, never to return.

Lesson was learned and he returned to the starting lineup the next week to finish out his illustrious career as a Bomber

The Pit and it's crazed 12th man has strange effects on the best of the best Bombers

Interesting that in his podcast this week, SS mentioned some offensive players moving to D. I think Adams played on the D side in the past, and could see him moving over. Maybe O'Malley goes over, possibly at safety if Meyers is going to be out a while.
I believe it is Weber moving into Meyers spot.
As mentioned before Weber moved from QB to WR and now is moving to defense where he probably hasn't played since grade school
He doesn't have Nolan's size or experience but he's a gamer and really hadn't been used much on offense in the past 2 games (2 catches for 3 yards)
I can see Vollmer being on the playoff roster, but I think he'd be third string at best, and O'Malley would be the back up if they went with Herbstreit. I can see thr one WR on the frosh team moving up before that, as well as possibly Shamsi and King from JV. All 3 have very good size and speed and make contested catches.
My gut says Vollmer gets moved up to varsity after the final frosh game (next week)
He moves up as an "athlete" and not a QB.
Like Herbie, he will get an opportunity to show what he can do on the varsity level.
With most freshmen the concern is they lack the size, maturity or skill level to be on the varsity field.
Not the case with him.
Like you, I also believe another frosh or sophomore receiver will be moved up and given the chance to show what he can do at the varsity level.
We shall see......GO X!

Will the game be on the radio?
LISTEN to Bomber Football on the following channels:
- ESPN 1530 WCKY
- Fox Sports 1360 WSAI
- I Heart Media App - search 1360 WSAI
- Listen on iheart.com

You can also pay $11.99 and watch it on

NFHS Network​

nfhsnetwork.com

You buy the monthly subscription and cancel it after the game.

Well that was ugly. Offense is abysmal. Qb missing throws and holding ball too long. o line getting manhandled. RB was getting ok yardage. But we couldn't consistently move it on the ground. Not making tackles when you had them for a big loss. I give freshman punter a pass, he's figuring it out, but his blockers have to step up and protect him better. Need to win this week and try and build on that.

I watched the game on NFHS and StX struggled in all facets of the game. Maybe it is time to give some other players a chance.
Yeah, the who and the what just are not working right now, time for some change. The line is just too slow to do much more than power block, which the OC can't seem to wrap his head around (still). The scheme is just not working with the players they have, so it's either switch scheme or switch players.

The defense just can't seem to figure out what ot wants to be. They're getting beat on the edges too much, and the offense is doing them zero favors.

The magic bullet just doesn't seem to be there this year, and this team has maybe 1 playoff win in them, maybe 2 if they get the right matchup. It's time to give some other kids a chance.

Freshman Blue Team 36 Louisville Male 16

The frosh blue improve to 5-0 and will finish the season this Thursday at RDI Stadium at 5:30pm vs LaSalle.

This will be the most interesting "roster watch" since 2016 (the last state title season) when sophomore QB Jared Kreimer was moved up to varsity after the JV season. He was moved up to play wide receiver and made his debut in the crucial week 10 game vs LSX.

In 2016, the Bombers with a record of 4-5, needed a home field win over LSX to make the playoffs
They trailed 3-0 at halftime but Chase Wolf went wild in the second half throwing for 4 TDs, 2 of those to Kreimer.

Very interesting......in a 5 loss season that included an early season ESPN televised blowout.....a QB was brought up to varsity in Week 10 and played a key role at the WR position as the team headed toward a state title

Chase Wolf and Blake Bacevich are not walking out on that field. That 2016 team had a lot of dudes and suffered a number of injuries. Everybody knew if they could get their core players healthy they could make a run.

Last edited: