Week 6: Elder (4-1) vs St. Xavier (2-3)

Great game by the Panthers!

As someone else mentioned, that was not the kind of speed on defense you're used to seeing from X. I can't recall the last time Elder was able to run outside like they did last night.

Did Herbstreet lose a bet purple shirt purple tie
54236884-427E-4780-BC04-6B9C87AEE529.jpeg

I must say Elder looks very capable of making a state run this year. I was very impressed by a number of things, including their balance on offense and the poise and size of their QB. He looked great back there, both running and passing the ball.

I must say again, they look like a complete 180 from last year. A completely different squad, and in a good way. Still not sure why there was so much hype for the class before them, this team looks like the real deal.

I may check out their game vs. Moe - that should be a great game.

Great game by the Panthers!

As someone else mentioned, that was not the kind of speed on defense you're used to seeing from X. I can't recall the last time Elder was able to run outside like they did last night.
Elder beat them to the edge passing as well. Defense had the same advantage. All that beef X had on the O-line just didn't match up with Elder's speed. The Panthers filled the gaps and swarmed the ball. I wonder how many of X's rushes were for just two of three yards.

After X responded with their own TD it looked like it could be a tight game. The Panthers left no doubt.

Elder beat them to the edge passing as well. Defense had the same advantage. All that beef X had on the O-line just didn't match up with Elder's speed. The Panthers filled the gaps and swarmed the ball. I wonder how many of X's rushes were for just two of three yards.

After X responded with their own TD it looked like it could be a tight game. The Panthers left no doubt.
Good adjustment by the D to handle the No Huddle/Up Tempo. I think we’re seeing the D staff start to gel with Currin, Fortkamp, and Roden all being in sync. That’s basically 3 individual DCs all collaborating to run the D.

Let’s just see if they can stop #24. If they can, it may lead to a W on Friday for Elder. Then, you have an argument. #24 can (and has) take over a game.
You can say his name. I’m not sure why you insist on using player numbers like a code.

Yeah. Not including himself and the rest of the staff among those who need to do better seemed out of character.
It's completely out of character for him to single out players, but he was asked about a player switch in particular. I'm sure in his podcast this week he'll shoulder the blame along with his coaches. The entire coaching staff is culpable for the struggles this year, reminds me a lot of the 2018 season.

Moeller really exposed X's inability to keep outside contain. The 335 has a weakness there, and usually the players have to recognize and be disciplined in their assignments, especially the outside backers. Too many times they pinched in and got tight on the backs of the ends, leaving the safeties and corners exposed and over matched by double teams or pulling linemen. This is the worst coached X team in a long while. I wouldn't be surprised to see coaching changes in the off-season if this continues. Specht is going to be safe, not sure if anyone else is though.

Schoster also deserves credit. His stats aren’t going to jump off the page, but he doesn’t make a ton of mistakes and has excellent pocket awareness. There were a few plays where he had a good amount of pressure, but was able to slide up in the pocket and make a throw.

All that beef X had on the O-line just didn't match up with Elder's speed.
It's just so funny seeing that. When is the last time anyone talked about Elder's team speed as a positive, especially defensively. There's always fast/speedy individuals, but the unit as a whole has speed that really we haven't seen much in the last 25 years.

So I thought it was crazy X benched their veteran QB. I talked to people in the know at St X and I guess the starter was mouthing off to his coaches and that spurred the QB change.

I hate St X as much as most of you but do admit I love Specht pulling older guys even mid game if they are not performing or are being a detriment to the team. I think we wish Ramsey did that at times. He add ways favors his Seniors though.

It's just so funny seeing that. When is the last time anyone talked about Elder's team speed as a positive, especially defensively. There's always fast/speedy individuals, but the unit as a whole has speed that really we haven't seen much in the last 25 years.
I had the same thoughts as you when I was posting my remark. It's possible the defensive speed appeared exaggerated because they were clearly faster than X, but this isn't an isolated event. I've watched the home games, the speed is evident.

Stay disciplined and fill your role knowing when the play comes your way you have buddies right there to help gang up on the ball. The coaches understand that speed without discipline can run you out of the play. I love defense and like what I see so far.

I had the same thoughts as you when I was posting my remark. It's possible the defensive speed appeared exaggerated because they were clearly faster than X, but this isn't an isolated event. I've watched the home games, the speed is evident.

Stay disciplined and fill your role knowing when the play comes your way you have buddies right there to help gang up on the ball. The coaches understand that speed without discipline can run you out of the play. I love defense and like what I see so far.
I think that’s where the additions of Coach Fortkamp and Coach Roden are starting to show up.

So I thought it was crazy X benched their veteran QB. I talked to people in the know at St X and I guess the starter was mouthing off to his coaches and that spurred the QB change.

I hate St X as much as most of you but do admit I love Specht pulling older guys even mid game if they are not performing or are being a detriment to the team. I think we wish Ramsey did that at times. He add ways favors his Seniors though.
That would definitely help explain the postgame comments made by coach Specht that some read as out of character, calling out a player.

I didn’t think the quote/reasoning from Specht was bad, but this helps explain. Assuming your “sources” are correct. 😉