Week 6: Elder (4-1) vs St. Xavier (2-3)

Elder is the better team on paper, but that doesn’t mean much in this game. They’re going to be challenged to slow down the X offense which they haven’t done the last 3 games. Also, the X Defense finally woke up and made Moeller look bearable. Holding them to 20 points is a major achievement. They should probably be 4-1 as well with wins over West & Moeller.

Last edited:
X knows Elder's scheme, formations, and plays better than any other team on the schedule.

I trust the staff to adjust but only ask they mix it up and not be so predictable.

Elder is the better team on paper, but that doesn’t mean much in this game. They’re going to be challenged to slow down the X offense which they haven’t done the last 3 games. Also, the X Defense finally woke up and made Moeller look bearable. Holding them to 20 points is a major achievement. They should probably be 4-1 as well with wins over West & Moeller.
When you are unable to get the ball to your very skilled player makers, the team underachieves. End of story.
I have not seen Elder in person this year; only box scores and highlights. Seems Elder (at home) should win by 10+.

When you are unable to get the ball to your very skilled player makers, the team underachieves. End of story.
I have not seen Elder in person this year; only box scores and highlights. Seems Elder (at home) should win by 10+.
So X’s D had nothing to do with that? The fact they nearly beat West & Moeller is enough of a reason to ignore their record.

So X’s D had nothing to do with that? The fact they nearly beat West & Moeller is enough of a reason to ignore their record.
Did you see the game? Any of it? If not, go watch it on their website. If you did see it, let me know how their defense contributed to several Moe blunders on offense.

While St. X has athletes on D, that’s the 3rd best D Moe has played this year. The other 2 (Trinity and Good Counsel), Moe put up 28 and 39 points against.

St X took advantage of Moe mistakes and had a good offense game plan—minus a play call or two.

Like I said before, this Moe team goes as far as 24 takes them. See you at Nippert Stadium, if you are allowed entrance.

Thanks for sharing. Holy Sh1t that is a complicated playbook.

So much goes into every single call. And then when I consider these are high school kids who have to balance 8 hours of school, lifting, sleep, homework, etc., it makes me realize I should refrain from telling Ramsey to quit being so predictable on offense!

Thanks for sharing. Holy Sh1t that is a complicated playbook.

So much goes into every single call. And then when I consider these are high school kids who have to balance 8 hours of school, lifting, sleep, homework, etc., it makes me realize I should refrain from telling Ramsey to quit being so predictable on offense!
For HS it’s complicated, you should see NFL playbooks where the play calls are like this

Elder 28
St. Xavier 24

Elder will be up 28-17 but X will come back because of their self proclaimed better conditioning due to their self proclaimed superior off season program. Elder gets a turnover late in the 4th quarter to hold off a X combeback to win 28-24.

Elder 28
St. Xavier 24

Elder will be up 28-17 but X will come back because of their self proclaimed better conditioning due to their self proclaimed superior off season program. Elder gets a turnover late in the 4th quarter to hold off a X combeback to win 28-24.
2 years later and you’re still butthurt. It was true for that game, X was better conditioned and wore Elder out. That doesn’t mean it is true every single year.

It was the truth. It doesn’t mean that’s the case this year.

Maybe it was or maybe the other team was just bigger and better. It's still a slap in the face/disrespectful comment to make. It's a microcosm of how St. Xavier feels about Elder and you know it. The X administration, school, teachers, coaches, students, alumni all think and feel they are superior to Elder in any and every way possible. This is not a new revelation.

Maybe it was or maybe the other team was just bigger and better. It's still a slap in the face/disrespectful comment to make. It's a microcosm of how St. Xavier feels about Elder and you know it. The X administration, school, teachers, coaches, students, alumni all think and feel they are superior to Elder in any and every way possible. This is not a new revelation.
Whether that's true or not, and I believe there is some truth to that, acting the way you are with this little brother complex doesn't help.

No, it wasn’t a big deal at all. Don’t be so sensitive.

I agree. They have to get out of this underdog mantra against St. Xavier. The team needs to have confidence that X is coming into the PIT as the inferior team.
There’s no reason for them to be intimidated at all. They got clobbered the last 2 years but before that, Elder won 3 straight games over X.

ElderHSfan02 said:
The X administration, school, teachers, coaches, students, alumni all think and feel they are superior to Elder in any and every way possible.
It goes both ways. There are bad apples with both institutions. For the most part I think the majority of the folks associated with both schools have a lot of mutual respect. There are going to be more at StX because their enrollment is more than double of that at Elder which coincides with having more teachers, administration, alumni, students, coaches, etc.

One thing that is interesting is the number of Elder grads that teach, coach, work, and or send their kids to StX. Are there a lot of StX grads that teach, coach, work, or send their kids to Elder? I don't know the answer but it would be interesting to see how that compares. For what it is worth I also hear one of the biggest Moeller Booster guys is also an Elder Grad.

It goes both ways. There are bad apples with both institutions. For the most part I think the majority of the folks associated with both schools have a lot of mutual respect. There are going to be more at StX because their enrollment is more than double of that at Elder which coincides with having more teachers, administration, alumni, students, coaches, etc.

One thing that is interesting is the number of Elder grads that teach, coach, work, and or send their kids to StX. Are there a lot of StX grads that teach, coach, work, or send their kids to Elder? I don't know the answer but it would be interesting to see how that compares. For what it is worth I also hear one of the biggest Moeller Booster guys is also an Elder Grad.

The eastside X people definitely got their nose in the air to Elder.

St. Xavier is a 6.5 point favorite according to the Yappi pickem contest.
That makes no sense.

E - 24
X - 17

Elder has the better overall team this year, but X always plays them well. Specht, outside of a few outliers (2019 maybe when E punked X by alot at the Pit), always has a great gameplan for Elder.

I run in circles that include X, Elder, and Moeller. I can promise you the majority of X and Moe supporters greatly respect Elder, especially the kids. They all have their school allegiances and that kind of perpetuates some animosity, but the kids respect the product on the field. When these kids get to college (and the dumb high school stuff goes away), alot becomes great friends because of that mutual respect.

Now, for the parents - there are factions at both X and Moe that "look down" on Elder, but those are also the people that the X and Moe normal people look down upon as well. These pretentious X and Moe types are the equivalent of the Elder types that thinks the world revolves around Elder and they can do no wrong.