Who wins this game?

• Kenston

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • VASJ

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C'Town216

Big game between 2 of the top ranked teams in Region 9 in this mid season showdown of unbeatens. The Vikings and Bombers meet for what I believe is the first time, unless they’ve met before prior to Joe Eitel’s website went live. A lot of playoff points are on the line and the winner of this game can be set up for back to back home games this postseason. Kenston and VASJ have both scored in bunches forcing running clock in all of their games. This one will likely be a barn burner as both can put up points. The concern for the Vikings is their defense as they’ve been known to give up big plays. If the defense holds, they’re in line with getting the W as Powell and Jackson as the 1-2 punch in the backfield can give the Bombers headaches.

Below is the scope of the two teams. Updates can be shared on this thread and discussions can be held leading up to kick off.

Week: 4
Date: 9/8/23
Kickoff: 7pm

Kenston Bombers
Record: 3-0
Division: D-III, Region 9
Previous Season Record: 9-4
Playoff Result: Regional Semifinalist (L to Chardon 7-10)

Week 1 Results: W vs Boardman 50-13
Week 2 Results: W @ West G 49-14
Week 3 Results: W vs Chagrin Falls 55-7

Villa Angela-St.Joseph Vikings
Record: 3-0
Division: D-III, Region 9
Previous Season Record: 8-3
Playoff Result: Playoffs 1st round (L to Tallmadge 7-21)

Week 1 Result: W vs John Hay 40-14
Week 2 Result: W @ Mooney 47-21
Week 3 Result: W vs Y’Town East 42-6

Fantastic 50 Prediction Line: Kenston by 9

Kenston is fast and athletic on defense,probably the best defense they have had in 5 years.The offense well as usual the passing game is as good as the running game if u try to stop one they have the other,that said this will be a very good game to watch and could go either way,the team with less mistakes wins this one

I'm feeling a Kenston win by 2 TDs. Bombers talent got a bit more game experience from playoffs last year and a brutal scrimmage schedule.

When Kenston and Villa Angela-St. Joseph meet Friday night at Charles F. Brush High School in Lyndhurst, it could be a postseason preview on multiple aspects.

Both are in Division III, Region 9.

They will be meeting on a neutral field.

They are undefeated, for now.

Brush will be the site of this Week 4 matchup Friday night in Lyndhurst, as VASJ awaits the completion of its new turf field on its Lakeshore Boulevard campus. Last week, the Vikings (3-0) used Nordonia as a “home” site in a 42-6 win against Youngstown East. Their third straight victory, following convincing wins against Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and John Hay have them ranked third in Division III, Region 9, according to JoeEitel.com — just ahead of sixth-place Kenston (3-0), which has blown out Boardman, West Geauga and Chagrin Falls by a combined score of 204-34.

The Bombers are ranked 11th in the cleveland.com Top 25, just ahead of No. 12 VASJ, and feature Akron-bound running back Sean Patrick. The senior scored four times last week in their 55-7 win against neighboring non-conference rival Chagrin Falls. Patrick rushed for 146 yards and three TDs on 10 carries, plus a 50-yard scoring pass from junior Lucas Kaltenbach, who finished 10 of 17 passing with 155 yards and two more TD passes to Tymir Cardona and Dylan Krupp.

VASJ, led by junior Lamar “Bo” Jackson and senior Amani Powell, rushed for 326 yards against Youngstown East. The Vikings’ defense allowed just 119 yards in that one. That defense will look to senior linebackers Eric Elder and Timmy Gonakis to chase down Patrick, while senior cornerback Dante Landers leads a secondary that will be tasked with covering Cardona and Krupp.

While these teams didn’t meet last year, they could become quite familiar with each other now.

Kenston follows this with another big non-conference game against Lake Catholic (2-1) before opening Western Reserve Conference play at No. 9 Chardon (2-1). VASJ’s independent slate continues with Gilmour Academy (2-1), another Region 9 opponent, as these games will shape where these teams land for postseason seeding.

When Kenston and Villa Angela-St. Joseph meet Friday night at Charles F. Brush High School in Lyndhurst, it could be a postseason preview on multiple aspects.

Both are in Division III, Region 9.

They will be meeting on a neutral field.

They are undefeated, for now.

Brush will be the site of this Week 4 matchup Friday night in Lyndhurst, as VASJ awaits the completion of its new turf field on its Lakeshore Boulevard campus. Last week, the Vikings (3-0) used Nordonia as a “home” site in a 42-6 win against Youngstown East. Their third straight victory, following convincing wins against Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and John Hay have them ranked third in Division III, Region 9, according to JoeEitel.com — just ahead of sixth-place Kenston (3-0), which has blown out Boardman, West Geauga and Chagrin Falls by a combined score of 204-34.

The Bombers are ranked 11th in the cleveland.com Top 25, just ahead of No. 12 VASJ, and feature Akron-bound running back Sean Patrick. The senior scored four times last week in their 55-7 win against neighboring non-conference rival Chagrin Falls. Patrick rushed for 146 yards and three TDs on 10 carries, plus a 50-yard scoring pass from junior Lucas Kaltenbach, who finished 10 of 17 passing with 155 yards and two more TD passes to Tymir Cardona and Dylan Krupp.

VASJ, led by junior Lamar “Bo” Jackson and senior Amani Powell, rushed for 326 yards against Youngstown East. The Vikings’ defense allowed just 119 yards in that one. That defense will look to senior linebackers Eric Elder and Timmy Gonakis to chase down Patrick, while senior cornerback Dante Landers leads a secondary that will be tasked with covering Cardona and Krupp.

While these teams didn’t meet last year, they could become quite familiar with each other now.

Kenston follows this with another big non-conference game against Lake Catholic (2-1) before opening Western Reserve Conference play at No. 9 Chardon (2-1). VASJ’s independent slate continues with Gilmour Academy (2-1), another Region 9 opponent, as these games will shape where these teams land for postseason seeding.

Thanks for sharing! It’s a shame half these news sites are all behind a paywall now. I’m really intrigued by this match up but as I mentioned in my post, I’m not very confident with the defense as they can be very Jekyll and Hyde and especially Rotsky’s long standing “can’t win the big ones.” Maybe they will turn it around, but will see.

No chance
No chance Benedictine wins 5 games this year, I agree. The HC restore the roar left yappi. You, as the assistant AD of Benedictine, still continue to post absolute 0 substance on here. You wonder why athletics at Benedictine are the way they are currently.

My advice, start reaching out to alumni and supporters and tell them all the good things, if any, that are currently happening at Benedictine. Alumni engagement is huge for sustained success. You posting on yappi, definitely not helping the cause.

VASJ by 2 scores

No chance Benedictine wins 5 games this year, I agree. The HC restore the roar left yappi. You, as the assistant AD of Benedictine, still continue to post absolute 0 substance on here. You wonder why athletics at Benedictine are the way they are currently.

My advice, start reaching out to alumni and supporters and tell them all the good things, if any, that are currently happening at Benedictine. Alumni engagement is huge for sustained success. You posting on yappi, definitely not helping the cause.

VASJ by 2 scores
Let’s try to keep the subject on the Kenston VASJ game thanks

Not sure why you feel the need to be trashing other schools on threads that have nothing to do with it.

Let’s try to keep the subject on the Kenston VASJ game thanks

Not sure why you feel the need to be trashing other schools on threads that have nothing to do with it.
VASJ by 2 scores. That’s what I said. I trashed nobody. I spoke the truth. I have a ton of respect for Benedictine. Unfortunately, your assistant AD of Benedictine is who responded to me.

I do agree with you, let’s keep this thread on track.

VASJ by 2 scores. That’s what I said. I trashed nobody. I spoke the truth. I have a ton of respect for Benedictine. Unfortunately, your assistant AD of Benedictine is who responded to me.

I do agree with you, let’s keep this thread on track.
And all Fr Willie did was disagree with your prediction.

No reason to ask why “athletics at Benedictine are the way they are” and give a incredibly incorrect prediction on the Bengals season

Especially considering this is a Kenston VASJ thread

I would like it - but I would be shocked if Joe's won by two scores. I'm curious to see if VASJ can make stops on defense and pass the ball when they need to. If they can hang with or beat Kenston - that would prove that they are deserving of all the praise. If not it's going to be another season of beating the bad teams on the schedule and losing to the tough ones - followed by a early playoff exit. I would love to see them make that next step - the talent seems to be there.

Does anyone know if this game will be live streamed?
I know for sure VASJ doesn’t stream their football games. They used to briefly but stopped after sometime. Idk if the plan is to start streaming again once the new field is completed by next season.

Does anyone know if this game will be live streamed?
But to add on to my post from last night, I think WINT (1330am) may be broadcasting the game on the airwaves tomorrow night but can’t confirm since they don’t indicate who is their game of the week on their site.

I’m going with Kenston in this one, but wouldn’t be entirely shocked if VASJ won a tight game. If Kenston wins, I think they’ll win by multiple scores.

Kenston already knows who they are and have been battled tested over the last couple of years. They aren’t playing this game as a measuring stick or culture defining game.

I would imagine VASJ is treating this game as such, and when a team is playing with that motivation they can pull off an upset, especially when they have talent, like VASJ does.

Just like when Chardon played Tiffin in Week 2. A hostile environment, plus a talented team, plus playing the game as a program defining moment, equals an upset.

Good luck to both teams and looking forward to seeing the result. BTW - The Viking field looks amazing. What a setting.

Very nice matchup. I was surprised to see this game on the schedule. I think Kenston is really, really good. Give me the Bombers by 14.