Week 16 (Division VI State Championship): AP #3 Versailles (13-2) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (14-1)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Versailles by 1-7

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Versailles by 8-16

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Versailles boys having last practice in town today. Senior boys getting close to taking their pads off for the last time. My son told me the other day, all those days playing football at recess and at my buddies houses......we pretended to be playing in the State Championship and now we are going to get our chance. 18 seniors who went to kindergarten together are on a mission vs Kirtland boys who also grew up together that are on their own mission.
Should be a good one!
This is a game that deserves to be played in good conditions. I don't mind the cold - but cold and rain is miserable. I'm praying a window of decent weather.

This is a game that deserves to be played in good conditions. I don't mind the cold - but cold and rain is miserable. I'm praying a window of decent weather.
Concur.
In football I am 100% for playing in the elements.......until that final game for all the marbles, at any level!

Ya make it through the full season, the hot, the rain, the cold, the wind, all through the playoffs then the Championship. A reward for a great season is to play for the whole kit-and-caboodle in a totally benign environment to see who is best.

Same for college and the NFL. I just prefer the final games to be in an environment that does not hinder either opponent.

Versailles boys having last practice in town today. Senior boys getting close to taking their pads off for the last time. My son told me the other day, all those days playing football at recess and at my buddies houses......we pretended to be playing in the State Championship and now we are going to get our chance. 18 seniors who went to kindergarten together are on a mission vs Kirtland boys who also grew up together that are on their own mission.
Should be a good one!
This is why I believe high school football is the purest & best form of football there is to offer. Taking nothing away from Parochial or Private schools, it’s always special having two schools face off who have kids that grew up with one another the whole way & get to live out their dreams. Believe the Hornets have around 12 or 13 seniors. Both of our schools have been blessed to seek that opportunity a combined 23 times once we kick off Friday. This should indeed be a good one, thanks for sharing @VTJGball!

I’ll take cold & rain over the horrible game-changing gusts of wind both Marion Local & Kirtland had to deal with last year!

This is why I believe high school football is the purest & best form of football there is to offer. Taking nothing away from Parochial or Private schools, it’s always special having two schools face off who have kids that grew up with one another the whole way & get to live out their dreams. Believe the Hornets have around 12 or 13 seniors. Both of our schools have been blessed to seek that opportunity a combined 23 times once we kick off Friday. This should indeed be a good one, thanks for sharing @VTJGball!
I think that’s almost a certainty in the foreseeable future at the lower level divisions. Outside of maybe CCC, Newark Catholic, Portsmouth ND there are very few other catholic schools in those divisions ( and even those are struggling to stay afloat.)

I think that’s almost a certainty in the foreseeable future at the lower level divisions. Outside of maybe CCC, Newark Catholic, Portsmouth ND there are very few other catholic schools in those divisions ( and even those are struggling to stay afloat.)
I agree. And I think a lot of that is a structural thing with how divisions are created nowadays. But that’s an entirely different topic that has its own current separate thread.

vs. MAC Champ (1-3 record):
• 2012 vs. Coldwater; L, 9-10
• 2017 vs. Marion Local; L, 11-34
• 2018 vs. Marion Local; W, 16-7
• 2022 vs. Marion Local; L, 6-14

vs. MAC non-Champ (2-2 record):
• 2011. vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7
• 2014 vs. Minster; L, 42-46
• 2015 vs. Marion Local; W, 22-20
• 2021 vs. Versailles; L, 16-20

vs. MAC team (3-5 record):
• 2011 vs. Coldwater; W, 28-7
• 2012 vs. Coldwater; L, 9-10
• 2014 vs. Minster; L, 42-46
• 2015 vs. Marion Local; W, 22-20
• 2017 vs. Marion Local; L, 11-34
• 2018 vs. Marion Local; W, 16-7
• 2021 vs. Versailles; L, 16-20
• 2022 vs. Marion Local; L, 6-14

Of all Kirtland accomplishments with titles and runner-ups, to me their most impressive victory is when they finally got over the hump and beat a much more talented Youngstown Ursuline team in 2012 who I thought was going to easily win another state title. To be down 24 points at halftime and come back and beat that team was amazing.
I was suprised they lost to Coldwater in the finals who been boat raced by Ursuline by 30 in 09 and 10. I know Kirtland won a title in 2011 but that was because Ursuline scheduled themselves out of the playoffs that year and would of won their third in a row. Slaying the dragon in 2012 took a lot out of them and probably the reason they were upset in the finals.

Concur.
In football I am 100% for playing in the elements.......until that final game for all the marbles, at any level!

Ya make it through the full season, the hot, the rain, the cold, the wind, all through the playoffs then the Championship. A reward for a great season is to play for the whole kit-and-caboodle in a totally benign environment to see who is best.

Same for college and the NFL. I just prefer the final games to be in an environment that does not hinder either opponent.

Isn't that the way it goes? You toil all your earthly life to put food on the table and provide shelter for your family. You pay your taxes and more often than not, what is your earthly reward? Writhing in pain and sickness in a hospital bed. It's at that moment a man would do anything to go back in time and play that state title in the wind and rain just one more time. In the words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you'll find you get what you need."

Isn't that the way it goes? You toil all your earthly life to put food on the table and provide shelter for your family. You pay your taxes and more often than not, what is your earthly reward? Writhing in pain and sickness in a hospital bed. It's at that moment a man would do anything to go back in time and play that state title in the wind and rain just one more time. In the words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you'll find you get what you need."
Or, drive two hours to the house that Peyton built.

Didn't know you were a philosopher.

That was tremendous! I’ve posted this before, but the Tigers’ 1995 2OT win over Bellaire is on YouTube. The production and announcers are very good, but best of all is the atmosphere from the crowd. Both sides were into the game!

Unfortunately, those days are over with. Two good players in that game Davis for Bellaire and Turner for V. Did Turner ever see any MLB time, I can't remember?

Should be a good one!
great group of boys that get to play their last game together..... and the parents get to watch their boys one last time together...ENJOY IT!!!

Hope I'm wrong but 21-7 Kirtland is my prediction
I would be VERY surprised if my Hornets won by 10+, especially against a team who lost by a combined 8 points to your school & the Cavaliers. I think any margin of victory outside of one score for either side would disappoint my expectations for this game, as I believe it will be decided within a score.

I would be VERY surprised if my Hornets won by 10+, especially against a team who lost by a combined 8 points to your school & the Cavaliers. I think any margin of victory outside of one score for either side would disappoint my expectations for this game, as I believe it will be decided within a score.
Against Versailles it looked like the Flyers were possibly on their way to a 21-7 win. As I recall, two times in the 4th quarter in Tiger territory, they stuffed ML on 4th and 1. After the 2nd stuff, the Tigers drove for what would have been the tying score but for the missed PAT. Kudos to Versailles for stuffing them on those 4th and 1 plays. Versailles generally plays their A game with zero intimidation against ML. For whatever reason it seems like Versailles doesn't have that level of confidence against Coldwater. It's interesting how each rivalry brings a unique psychological aspect. Anyway I remember being very impressed with K's defense last year and most of the D returned. I went with 21-7 because of that and that's the score ML seemed to be on course for until Versailles' two short yardage stuffs.

Last edited:
Against Versailles it looked like the Flyers were possibly on their way to a 21-7 win. As I recall, two times in the 4th quarter in Tiger territory, they stuffed ML on 4th and 1. After the 2nd stuff, the Tigers drove for what would have been the tying score but for the missed PAT. Kudos to Versailles for stuffing them on those 4th and 1 plays. Versailles generally plays their A game with zero intimidation against ML. For whatever reason it seems like Versailles doesn't have that level of confidence against Coldwater. It's interesting how each rivalry brings a unique psychological aspect. Anyway I remember being very impressed with K's defense last year and most of the D returned. I went with 21-7 because of that and that's the score ML seemed to be on course for until the two short yardage stuffs.
Different match up plus V did not play Coldwater in 21 when Versailles won state. Went to Coldwater - Versailles game this year, Coldwater not a running team ran for over 150 yds. in that game, may have caught Versailles by surprise with their game plan.

Against Versailles it looked like the Flyers were possibly on their way to a 21-7 win. As I recall, two times in the 4th quarter in Tiger territory, they stuffed ML on 4th and 1. After the 2nd stuff, the Tigers drove for what would have been the tying score but for the missed PAT. Kudos to Versailles for stuffing them on those 4th and 1 plays. Versailles generally plays their A game with zero intimidation against ML. For whatever reason it seems like Versailles doesn't have that level of confidence against Coldwater. It's interesting how each rivalry brings a unique psychological aspect. Anyway I remember being very impressed with K's defense last year and most of the D returned. I went with 21-7 because of that and that's the score ML seemed to be on course for until Versailles' two short yardage stuffs.
That’s a very solid rationale for your prediction, @Msfootball. I still think it will be a very close game. Sounds like Versailles plays even better defense with their backs against the wall & on money downs.
Hornets bring back a lot from last year, but last year & this year are different scenarios IMO. I’d be interested in your thoughts of how you would rank this year’s Versailles offense against Marion Local’s 2022 offense. The Tigers’ QB is a phenomenal athlete (and I saw first-hand with that amazing catch he made in 2021) & really all the MAC offenses we face have great athletes from positions 1-11.

That’s a very solid rationale for your prediction, @Msfootball. I still think it will be a very close game. Sounds like Versailles plays even better defense with their backs against the wall & on money downs.
Hornets bring back a lot from last year, but last year & this year are different scenarios IMO. I’d be interested in your thoughts of how you would rank this year’s Versailles offense against Marion Local’s 2022 offense. The Tigers’ QB is a phenomenal athlete (and I saw first-hand with that amazing catch he made in 2021) & really all the MAC offenses we face have great athletes from positions 1-11.
It's probably a push. Kirtland held the Marion O to 7 points. I'd anticipate a similar result against the Versailles O. Versailles doesn't have the beef like in 2021. The Versailles D isn't on par with 2022 Marion D. Few are. It will take a great effort from the Versailles defense. If they can rise to the challenge then it will be a 14-7 type game with a key turnover or special teams play being the difference. In my opinion, Kirtland will hit the 20 point mark and that will do it. But Go Tigers!