Week 13: Sycamore

ReLoad

The #7 seed Sycamore Aviators (8-4) face the #5 seed St. Xavier Bombers (7-5) in the Regional Final this Friday night (location TBD).

It will be the first time in the tournament that StX will be the lower seed and thus home team.

StX is 5-0 all-time vs. Sycamore, winning the 4 regular season games from 1985-1988 and the crosstown showdown week 1 game in 2002 at Nippert Stadium by a score of 10-7

The Aves shared 2nd place in the GMC this season with the Fairfield Indians both with 5-2 conference records.

The Aves started the season 2-4 with overtime losses to Lasalle (38-35) and Covington Catholic (34-33) in the first 2 games and to Colerain (52-7) and Fairfield (35-27) in Weeks 5 and 6.

Since then they have won 6 straight games, 5 against GMC opponents not named Colerain (Mason twice) and Region 4’s #2 seed Lebanon Warriors in Round 1.

Can the Bombers complete the sweep of 3 GMC teams in the post season to reach the state semi-finals?

Sycamore Offense

The offense is led by Illinois commit senior Ra’Von Bonner (6’0” 210lb).
He has rushed for 2,112 yards (average of 24 carries and 177 yards per game) and 34 TDs.
Bonner is also a dangerous kick returner.

Dual threat senior QB #10 Jake Borman (6’0” 195lb) has thrown for 1,588 yards and rushed for 407 yards.
He also is the team’s punter averaging 40.6 yards per kick.

His 3 targets include:
#41 WR junior Myron Williams 6’1” 165lb, 23 catches for 541 yards and 3TDs
#13 WR Khadim Fall senior 6’3” 190lb, 28 catches for 392 yards and 1TD
#1 Slot Receiver junior Jon Malek 5’8” 175lb, 17 catches for 471 yards and 4TDs, 24 rushes for 136 yards and 1 TD

The OLine from left to right Evans (5’10” 230lb)-Feld (6’5” 315lb)-Richardson (6’6” 288lb)-Shuster (5’11” 210lb)-Goodyear (6’4” 275lb)
Richardson and Goodyear also play on the DLine
Feld is drawing D1 interest.

Sycamore Defense

The Aves alternate several bodies on the DLine.
50 Ed Sohn 5’10” 210lb So.
*70 Tate Goodyear Jr. 6’4” 275lb (sack leader with 6)
9 Elijah Hollis 6’2” 235lb Jr.
77 Alex Schaad 6’1” 250lb Jr.
*74 Zach Richardson Sr. 6’6” 288lb
* denotes 2 way player

The LBs are solid and Fehr and Young join the offense as blocking backs in short yardage situations
30 OLB Josh Glynn 6’1” 215lb Sr.
31 ILB Kyle Fehr 6’0” 210lb Jr.
32 ILB Grant Young 6’2” 220lb Sr. (leading tackler, 5.5 sacks on year)
33 OLB Jon Bothen 6’1” 200lb Jr.

The cornerbacks #8 junior Christian Kelly (5’7” 160lb) and #46 Khalis Hicks (5’8” 172lb) are undersized but quick.
Kelly also returns kicks.

Friday forecast: Sunny and high of 70 degrees during the day, evening is clear with overnight low of 46 degrees.

Percent Pass Plays by game
Bosco: 54%
Colerain: 45%
Mentor: 48%
Cathedral: 49%
Moeller: 49%
Elder: 27%
LaSalle: 48%
Warren Central: 65%
St. Ignatius: 63%
LSX: 68%
FF: 60%
Colerain: 45%

You can sleep walk through this game...good grief.

Stop Bonner
Stop Borman
Game Over

Rest up the studs for Wayne in two weeks. That will be an interesting matchup.

-CardinalsFan

Stop Bonner
Stop Borman
Game Over

-CardinalsFan

Sounds like a recipe for disaster CF.
I don't like the idea of looking ahead to Wayne

Stop Bonner
Stop Borman
Game Over

-CardinalsFan

We usually don't do well against running QBs. Wayne and LaSalle burned us with running QBs in 2010. Although that was 6 years ago, we typically don't do well against them.

We usually don't do well against running QBs. Wayne and LaSalle burned us with running QBs in 2010. Although that was 6 years ago, we typically don't do well against them.

Sorry, but this is simply not true. We actually tend to do very well against running QBs as long as they aren't absolute freaks.

Did we get burned by Braxton Miller? Absolutely. But that was Braxton Miller. Don't think you can equate Borman with Braxton Miller considering that he has rushed for 407 yards in 12 games for an average of 34 yards a game against a GMC slate - i.e. pretty much the exact same as the X QBs cumulative total against much stronger competition.

Sorry, but this is simply not true. We actually tend to do very well against running QBs as long as they aren't absolute freaks.

Did we get burned by Braxton Miller? Absolutely. But that was Braxton Miller. Don't think you can equate Borman with Braxton Miller considering that he has rushed for 407 yards in 12 games for an average of 34 yards a game against a GMC slate - i.e. pretty much the exact same as the X QBs cumulative total against much stronger competition.

You're right, I can't compare Borman to Miller. Considering he has just over 400 yards in 12 games, mostly GMC opponents, I can see why he may not be as much of a threat as I may have thought.

You're right, I can't compare Borman to Miller. Considering he has just over 400 yards in 12 games, mostly GMC opponents, I can see why he may not be as much of a threat as I may have thought.

Borman doesn't run many designed QB runs. His strength is scrambling during pass plays to buy time or pickup a first down. I think you'll find him more of an annoying runner than a dangerous one.

Sycamore Offense

The OLine from left to right Evans (5’10” 230lb)-Feld (6’5” 315lb)-Richardson (6’6” 288lb)-Shuster (5’11” 210lb)-Goodyear (6’4” 275lb)
Richardson and Goodyear also play on the DLine
Feld is drawing D1 interest.

Feld and Richardson are both seniors drawing some D1 interest. I think there is a chance a MAC school will get in on them late, but they will more likely end up going to a quality FCS program. Goodyear is a junior and is a surefire FBS player and very likely a low-mid Big Ten caliber player. He probably could play either guard or defensive tackle at the next level.

What an amazing ride this has been.
The resiliency of this team has been remarkable.

Lose Bockhorst (captain), Hopkins (captain) and Altimari in pre-season, get bulldozed by nationally ranked Bosco on ESPN in the opener with a patchwork OLine and minimal varsity experience on defense, lose to Colerain in OT due to glaring place kicking weakness, travel 550 roundtrip miles on a Friday to Mentor Ohio and squeak out a victory to begin a 4 game winning streak (Cathedral, Moeller and Elder), lose back to back last minute games to LaSalle (pick 6 with 4 minutes to go) and Warren Central (last play hail mary), get destroyed by a monstrous St. Ignatius team at home while wearing pink unis, trail LSX 3-0 in the final game at half only to explode for 28 points after half time, defeat 2 GMC teams in the post-season one in overtime to advance to the Regional Finals, all while losing another dozen starters at one time or another to injury.

Thanks Bombers…..I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Feld and Richardson are both seniors drawing some D1 interest. I think there is a chance a MAC school will get in on them late, but they will more likely end up going to a quality FCS program. Goodyear is a junior and is a surefire FBS player and very likely a low-mid Big Ten caliber player. He probably could play either guard or defensive tackle at the next level.

There's no doubt Sycamore has talent.
I don't think X can just key on Bonner and Borman.
The wide receivers (Williams, Fall and Malek) and kick returners (Kelly and Bonner) have to be respected.
With that much scoring firepower the Aves are use to getting into shootouts with opponents
Here is hoping that the StX defense can slow them down.
After watching film on the Aves I am also hoping that either Farrar or Specht can take a kickoff or punt to the house.

Can the Bombers complete the sweep of 3 GMC teams in the post season to reach the state semi-finals?

StX is 59-23 (72%) all time versus GMC schools.

StX games vs GMC schools
Colerain 33 (X leads 21-12) 64%
Hamilton 12 (X leads 8-4) 67%
Oak Hills 9 (X leads 9-0) 100%
Princeton 9 (X leads 7-2) 78%
Middletown 9 (X trails 4-5) 44%
Sycamore 5 (X leads 5-0) 100%
Fairfield 3 (X leads 3-0) 100%
Lakota West 1 (X leads 1-0) 100%
Mason 1 (X leads 1-0) 100%
Lakota East 0

What an amazing ride this has been.
The resiliency of this team has been remarkable.

Lose Bockhorst (captain), Hopkins (captain) and Altimari in pre-season, get bulldozed by nationally ranked Bosco on ESPN in the opener with a patchwork OLine and minimal varsity experience on defense, lose to Colerain in OT due to glaring place kicking weakness, travel 550 roundtrip miles on a Friday to Mentor Ohio and squeak out a victory to begin a 4 game winning streak (Cathedral, Moeller and Elder), lose back to back last minute games to LaSalle (pick 6 with 4 minutes to go) and Warren Central (last play hail mary), get destroyed by a monstrous St. Ignatius team at home while wearing pink unis, trail LSX 3-0 in the final game at half only to explode for 28 points after half time, defeat 2 GMC teams in the post-season one in overtime to advance to the Regional Finals, all while losing another dozen starters at one time or another to injury.

Thanks Bombers…..I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Which is why I think that this has been one of Steve's best coaching jobs. Seems like he has finally learned to give the offense some space and focus on his passion on the other side of the ball.

Which is why I think that this has been one of Steve's best coaching jobs. Seems like he has finally learned to give the offense some space and focus on his passion on the other side of the ball.

Along with the injuries and schedule difficulty is the departure of 5 coaches in the offseason......Brian Lainhart (CB coach), Terrell Williams (RB coach) and Jeremy Carpenter (safeties coach) all to Walnut Hills and Tim McDonald (DC/LBs) and Steve Bradley (WR coach) who both retired.

Along with the injuries and schedule difficulty is the departure of 5 coaches in the offseason......Brian Lainhart (CB coach), Terrell Williams (RB coach) and Jeremy Carpenter (safeties coach) all to Walnut Hills and Tim McDonald (DC/LBs) and Steve Bradley (WR coach) who both retired.

True, boy that hits you like a glass of cold water when you start to think about it. :clap::clap: