Week 13 Struthers vs Lake Catholic

A lot of stupid takes on here tonight. Name the 5 guys better.
I believe Gardner has the best package of skills. I’m not the type to allow bias to heavily form my opinion. At the end of the day the best back is still an opinion within reason. We probably won’t have a more concrete answer until they move on to the next level. Even then, those that have strong opinions today on this batch of runningbacks probably won’t care to argue over it in 3 or 4 years lol.

I believe Gardner has the best package of skills. I’m not the type to allow bias to heavily form my opinion. At the end of the day the best back is still an opinion within reason. We probably won’t have a more concrete answer until they move on to the next level. Even then, those that have strong opinions today on this batch of runningbacks probably won’t care to argue over it in 3 or 4 years lol.
How do you think Niles will do next year? They lose some really impactful players on both sides of the ball

How do you think Niles will do next year? They lose some really impactful players on both sides of the ball
One would have to believe the odds are not in their favor of matching this years level of success. In recent years Niles like many programs hasn’t shown the ability to reload instantly as some do. I’m always hopeful but those are some key positions losing multi-year starters as you pointed out.

It’s a big week for Lake Catholic. The boys soccer team is in the Final 4 Wednesday night, the volleyball team is also playing in the Final 4 down in Dayton on Thursday night. It will be interesting to see the turnout Lake has on Friday.

57 minute drive for Struthers, 41 minutes for Lake. Not sure if you’ve ever been to Berkshire, but it’s a very nice stadium and perfect venue for this game.

I see this being a 1 score game either way and looking forward to Friday. How is the Wildcats against the pass?
Literally never been there. They were suspect in the beginning of the season against the pass but are decent now. Much better than Niles I’d say for comparison

57 minute drive for Struthers, 41 minutes for Lake. Not sure if you’ve ever been to Berkshire, but it’s a very nice stadium and perfect venue for this game.

I see this being a 1 score game either way and looking forward to Friday. How is the Wildcats against the pass?
That's about as close to even as you can get given the geography between the two schools.

Back in the day, LC had to do a lot of lopsided travel down to Warren/Youngstown for playoff games.

That's about as close to even as you can get given the geography between the two schools.

Back in the day, LC had to do a lot of lopsided travel down to Warren/Youngstown for playoff games.
Like playing Mooney and Ursuline at Mollenkopf! Also played Mooney in the playoffs at Niles Bo Rein Stadium. And I believe we played Poland in 2001 at Cortland Lakeview or somewhere out there. Also, Girard a long time ago. I think it was at Niles lol. You are correct though Lake was always shafted with neutral sites. Maybe not as many schools back then hosted, I’m not sure, but it happened every year. Those were definitely the good old days though.

Two lopsided travel games come to mind for Lake, although not Youngstown area. Somewhere between 2005-2010. Regional Championship against Aurora at Twinsburg and a second rd game against Rocky River at Lakewood.

Two lopsided travel games come to mind for Lake, although not Youngstown area. Somewhere between 2005-2010. Regional Championship against Aurora at Twinsburg and a second rd game against Rocky River at Lakewood.
Yes, that Aurora game was a barn burner. That was a tough walk to the car after that game. I believe that’s the only time those 2 schools have played.

Back to this weekend, would love to hear from the Struthers fans about that Geneva game week 2. This was definitely one of Geneva’s better teams who just lost to Chardon last week. I also see you shut out Niles which really sticks out to me looking at your schedule. I’m assuming you shut down Gardner which is a very tall task like Lake saw last weekend.

Key's to winning this game for Lake (IMHO):
- Kickoff coverage needs to improve. Kids need to learn to stay in their lanes. Strong kicker for Lake who frequently gets touchbacks, so that is a plus.
- Other team QB dropping back to pass then taking off. Giving up way too many yards.
- "Dumb" penalties. Personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct. Lake seems to manage a couple of these a game and this deep into the playoffs, just can't happen. One is too many. If I were the coach, I would let the guys know we aren't going to tolerate the inability to play clean and control your temper. You will be riding the pines for a couple series of downs.
- The big plus is the pass game and stating the obvious, the QB has to have a big game. Lake has been running a lot the past few games and I think that's a good thing. If the passing game gets shut down, we'll need to have the run game locked and loaded. Hope that part of the game is ready to rumble.

Key's to winning this game for Lake (IMHO):
- Kickoff coverage needs to improve. Kids need to learn to stay in their lanes. Strong kicker for Lake who frequently gets touchbacks, so that is a plus.
- Other team QB dropping back to pass then taking off. Giving up way too many yards.
- "Dumb" penalties. Personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct. Lake seems to manage a couple of these a game and this deep into the playoffs, just can't happen. One is too many. If I were the coach, I would let the guys know we aren't going to tolerate the inability to play clean and control your temper. You will be riding the pines for a couple series of downs.
- The big plus is the pass game and stating the obvious, the QB has to have a big game. Lake has been running a lot the past few games and I think that's a good thing. If the passing game gets shut down, we'll need to have the run game locked and loaded. Hope that part of the ga
These are the main things that have hurt Lake all season!
- back in the old-timey days, we ran sprints and bear-crawled after practice if we committed a penalty (oftentimes until we puked) - personal foul penalties were strictly verboten! Lake does have way too many of these.

- overall, the defense has been frustrating to watch...they have played in "bend, don't break" mode all season. I don't see that changing much at this point.

Last edited:
I think the team who scores in the red zone will
Win, it gets harder to score by running or passing in the red zone so I think that could be a huge key to this game.

For Struthers they have to play well in the secondary and tackle well

For lake theyll need to limit the big run play and tackle well

Should be a fun one both teams I feel are really good teams, the outcome I think can go either way but I think it’ll be a fun game

I think the team who scores in the red zone will
Win, it gets harder to score by running or passing in the red zone so I think that could be a huge key to this game.

For Struthers they have to play well in the secondary and tackle well

For lake theyll need to limit the big run play and tackle well

Should be a fun one both teams I feel are really good teams, the outcome I think can go either way but I think it’ll be a fun game

Jumped on to read about this matchup only to see the Struthers guys are still the same. Gardner is the 5th best back in league and yet the coaches voted him MVP of entire league?He rushed for nearly 200 yards against Struthers as he did against everyone. I will always root for local teams but the silver lining here would be to come and watch these delusional fans cry in their beer if Struthers were to lose. Having said that, Go Cats.
I actually think one of the Struthers guys had a reasonable take and had him first or second. This success might be turning some of them. Although, we all know we're 1 playoff loss or collapse away from the blowhards going to LaVilla and turning on Bayuk.

I actually think one of the Struthers guys had a reasonable take and had him first or second. This success might be turning some of them. Although, we all know we're 1 playoff loss or collapse away from the blowhards going to LaVilla and turning on Bayuk.
It blows my mind how the town acts when teams lose. Bayuk is the perfect coach for the wildcats in my eyes

Gardner was really good nobody is disputing that at all? Lol

but since you wanna pop off with stupid takes that was a Poland guy who had him ranked 4th or 5th weirdo

But back to the game that matters please

Yes, that Aurora game was a barn burner. That was a tough walk to the car after that game. I believe that’s the only time those 2 schools have played.

Back to this weekend, would love to hear from the Struthers fans about that Geneva game week 2. This was definitely one of Geneva’s better teams who just lost to Chardon last week. I also see you shut out Niles which really sticks out to me looking at your schedule. I’m assuming you shut down Gardner which is a very tall task like Lake saw last weekend.
The Geneva game was such a weird game, seemed like they were sleep walking the entire first half, got stopped twice in the red zone early and Geneva built a 17-0 lead at half then Struthers kicked it into gear, but Geneva got an4th and 2 late in the 4th to kill the wildcats chances of scoring to take it into OT