Week 11: Fairfield

Hope they all get D1 offers. Much of that, particularly for QB's will be based on performance at camps. If a school puts them thru the paces, sees the physical attributes needed for D1, likes the recognition capability and the players' fit to the scheme, the offer will come. Penn State got in early on S.Clifford, as they liked his performance at camp after his sophomore year and made the offer. He committed early.

The bigger test for the freshman will be his ability to process and makes reads that weren't required or much more limited at the grade school/frosh level. As the defenses get more complex, the ability to make pre-snap and post-snap reads will be critical. I'm not saying he can't, just that he likely hasn't had to yet or had to at the speed required at the Varsity and then college level.

There was a player a few years ago, 2018ish, that was a grade school phenom, big and strong armed. Ultimately had horrible recognition skills and I believe set a single season turnover record in about 6 games worth of work, and near single handedly lost about 4 games that year.

Hoping for the best for whoever takes the snaps, it is not an easy job.

The Bombers placed 8 players on the GGCL all star team
This is exactly half the number compared to last season.

1st Team: Bonner, Fleetwood, Hammond, Houston, Sharp and Wassler
2nd Team: Devine and Dollenmeyer
All are seniors. 4 defense and 4 offense.
Bonner and Fleetwood made the team last year as juniors
Hammond is a junior...Congrats to these players!

That's why I posed it in the form of a question.
My mistake. My answer would be, wait to see feedback from summer camps. If the feedback is very positive for both, then it may make sense for the freshman to wait his turn, similar to Chase Wolf.

My mistake.
No blood, no foul
My answer would be, wait to see feedback from summer camps. If the feedback is very positive for both, then it may make sense for the freshman to wait his turn, similar to Chase Wolf.
StX stats for past @40 years: a 3 year starter at X earns a D1 schollie @75% of the time.

For the QB position it's 60% (3 of 5)
3 D1: Frey (Ohio State), Clifford (Penn State) and Massa (Notre Dame)
2 non D1: Mooney (Yale), Sprengard (baseball schollie)

Fisher is dangerous, but if D keeps its discipline they'll be fine. Offensive line is coming around, keep running that power!
Fisher was very dangerous - incredible scrambler, elusive and fast.
His TD runs of 51 and 75 yards accounted for 126 of his 204 rushing yards

Strong arm but not an accurate passer - came into the game under 50% completion rate (48%) and was 38% last night (8 for 21).
Was relieved when he would throw it
His scramble on 4th and 7 with 5 minutes to play was incredible
Trapped 10 yards behind the LOS by 4 Bombers, reverses direction and throws against his body for 32 yards to the 11 yard line.

The Bombers lead the series 4-0 (make that 5-0)

2000 X won 15-9 Week 1 in Crosstown Showdown at Nippert Stadium
2005 X won 45-0 1st Round at Ballaban Field (StX went on to win it's 1st State Championship)
2016 X won 35-14 1st Round at Fairfield Indian Stadium (StX went on to win it's 3rd State Championship)
2017 X won 40-12 1st Round at Ballaban Field (StX lost in Round 3)
2022 X won 42-28 1st Round at Fairfield Indian Stadium (StX went on to.........

Fairfield Defense

Injun Secondary

#7 CB Josiah Jackson Sr. 6’1” 175lb like twin brother Jordan (RB) is committed to West Virginia
#4 FS/WR/PR Ki’Arran Love Sr. 5’11” 190lb offer from Marist
#5 SS Ray Coney Sr. 6’3” 210lb Army commit
Coney is a stud - was laying the wood on Patrick - 10 tackles, 8 solo, 3 tackles for loss
Love was a punk - threw Devine to the ground on 2 separate plays both after plays were dead and both in the 4th quarter after X had taken a 42-28 lead
The Jackson brothers (West Virginia commits) were decent....#3 RB Jordan had 95 yards (36 receiving and 59 yards rushing) and #7 CB Josiah had 4 solo tackles but had a tough time covering Sharp and McClatchey

3 questions as the post season begins
1. Good to see O’Malley back on the field last Friday night. What will be his role?
To take 1 snap when Herbie's helmet came off after he turned a 4th and 3 sure loss into a 3 yard gain and 1st down.
2. 10 freshmen are with the varsity. More than half have been getting playing time. Will they play a significant role?
2 frosh played, both on defense
3. The RB position is in total flux. Who carries the ball this Friday?
#21 Gage Patrick 29 times for 110 yards and 3 TDs.
That's 2-100 yard rushing games in a row....last week 21 for 130 yards vs LCA
Napier subbed for him a few times in the 2nd half carrying twice for 12 yards.....came off the field a bit hobbled still.
Hopefully will have both at 100% vs The EE

I think these two teams are built very similar to one another with each wanting to run the ball and chew up clock. However, I give the edge to X since I think they’ll be more ready and prepared on defense after going through the gauntlet they’ve had all season. I’m sure they’ll bend a few times here or there bc of Fisher taking off, but they won’t break. Napier/Patrick running 20-30 times behind the OL will give them advantage in TOP. St Xavier wins 24-20
You nailed it until the end.
TOP was 28-25 favor Injuns and spread was 14 not 4.
Still a solid job (y)

I was thinking the same thing. Stats of course can not tell the entire story so I am curious as to what those who were at the game thought of Herbstreits play? Did it look composed and control of the offense? Was the lower completion due to his throws or receiver drops?
Very composed tonight, especially on the final 2 drives to go up 35-28 and 42-28

Drive / Result / Pass stats
1 Punt 0-1
2 Punt 0-1
3 FG 2-3 for 31 yards
4 Punt 0-2
5 TD 2-2 for 29 yards
6 TD 1-1 for 27 yards
7 FG 0-2
8 TD 1-1 for 45 yards
9 TD 3-4 51 yards
10 TD 3-7 59 yards

*Most impressive stats were 4 -3rd down conversions and 2 - 4th down conversions
All 6 were pass plays and 5 were in 4th quarter on the 2 TD drives to put X up 35-28 and then 42-28.

Herbie Game Totals
12 for 24 for 233 yards 1TD, 0INT
12 Pass Completions: Sharp 4 for 109, Wassler 4 for 75, McClatchey 3 for 35, Patrick 1 for 13
24 Targets Sharp 10, Wassler 5, McClatchey 4, Nicholson 3, Patrick 1, Rose 1
12 Pass Incompletions: 1 throw away, 4 bad throws, 2 batted down, 2 drops, 1 receiver fell down on cut, 2 ruled out of bounds.

So he threw 7 uncatchable balls (4 out of reach, 2 batted down and 1 out of bounds to avoid a sack)
The 2 catches by Wassler and Sharp ruled out of bounds were so close would have been another 42 yards.
The 2 drops were a 10 yard pass into the end zone and a 15 yard crossing pattern over the middle.
So those 67 yards would have given him his first 300 yard passing day :confused:
But this turned out to be his first 200 yard passing day :)
And his backwards pass to Sharp set up the 44 yards pass from Sharp to McClatchey

Very composed tonight, especially on the final 2 drives to go up 35-28 and 42-28

Drive / Result / Pass stats
1 Punt 0-1
2 Punt 0-1
3 FG 2-3 for 31 yards
4 Punt 0-2
5 TD 2-2 for 29 yards
6 TD 1-1 for 27 yards
7 FG 0-2
8 TD 1-1 for 45 yards
9 TD 3-4 51 yards
10 TD 3-7 59 yards

*Most impressive stats were 4 -3rd down conversions and 2 - 4th down conversions
All 6 were pass plays and 5 were in 4th quarter on the 2 TD drives to put X up 35-28 and then 42-28.

Herbie Game Totals
12 for 24 for 233 yards 1TD, 0INT
12 Pass Completions: Sharp 4 for 109, Wassler 4 for 75, McClatchey 3 for 35, Patrick 1 for 13
24 Targets Sharp 10, Wassler 5, McClatchey 4, Nicholson 3, Patrick 1, Rose 1
12 Pass Incompletions: 1 throw away, 4 bad throws, 2 batted down, 2 drops, 1 receiver fell down on cut, 2 ruled out of bounds.

So he threw 7 uncatchable balls (4 out of reach, 2 batted down and 1 out of bounds to avoid a sack)
The 2 catches by Wassler and Sharp ruled out of bounds were so close would have been another 42 yards.
The 2 drops were a 10 yard pass into the end zone and a 15 yard crossing pattern over the middle.
So those 67 yards would have given him his first 300 yard passing day :confused:
But this turned out to be his first 200 yard passing day :)
And his backwards pass to Sharp set up the 44 yards pass from Sharp to McClatchey
The kid seems to be able to see the game quickly if that makes sense. There were 2-3 plays that I thought were sure sacks, including the long throw to Wassler towards the end, and he was able to drift or scramble out of. He is very composed and his decision making has been solid. As his confidence grew you could see the arm strength start to come out, that hook route he hit McClatchey on was a bullet.
Obviously still young and plenty to work on, but he is finding his way quickly, and the scheme change is working. The sideline scramble with the long throw to Wassler inside the 5 was shades of Sean Clifford, both in skill and moxie

Specht finally acknowledged it, they are a running team and they have to run to open up play action.

Specht finally acknowledged it, they are a running team and they have to run to open up play action.
I think it's more about Coverdale than Specht recognizing it. Specht said before the season he expected them to be a power run team, I think the switch at QB forced it.

Was good to see T. Kattus on the field in the second half.
Hopefully he and Napier will be 100% for this Friday.
PJ Rose now strictly on offense as a battering ram
Not sure how Fogler fits into the equation.....Jennings doing a good job

Was good to see T. Kattus on the field in the second half.
Hopefully he and Napier will be 100% for this Friday.
PJ Rose now strictly on offense as a battering ram
Not sure how Fogler fits into the equation.....Jennings doing a good job
Fogler is a great kid and works hard, but I expected more than we've seen from him this year. I'm also surprised they moved Rose to strictly O. He seemed effective at LB, have to go look at the stats.

Fogler is a great kid and works hard, but I expected more than we've seen from him this year. I'm also surprised they moved Rose to strictly O. He seemed effective at LB, have to go look at the stats.
Yeah, not sure if Fogler knows what to do with that frame yet, seems to be still growing into his body. I could see him getting to college and coming on strong as a junior.

Rose was fine at LB, but as a FB he just seems to be a natural fit, and maybe not the best when they went 3-4. The LB play has gotten much better the past few weeks for the most part. Folke has been a bit of a revelation, especially rushing the passer, Beck is more the classic LB types, and it's allowed Bonner and Devine to roam a bit more.