Week 11: Fairfield

ReLoad

What: 1st Round D1 Region 4 Playoff Game
Who: 9th Seed St. Xavier Bombers (4-6) at 8th Seed Fairfield Indians (7-3)
When: Friday October 28th 7pm
Where: Fairfield Arena 8800 Holden Blvd Seating Capacity 5,500

The Bombers lead the series 4-0

2000 X won 15-9 Week 1 in Crosstown Showdown at Nippert Stadium
2005 X won 45-0 1st Round at Ballaban Field (StX went on to win it's 1st State Championship)
2016 X won 35-14 1st Round at Fairfield Indian Stadium (StX went on to win it's 3rd State Championship)
2017 X won 40-12 1st Round at Ballaban Field (StX lost in Round 3)

2023 Fairfield Indians 7-3

The 41-24 season opening win over Wayne (6-4) was their only victory over a team with a winning record
The other 6 wins came vs GMC cupcakes with a cumulative record of 27-42

Their 3 losses were to the top 3 teams in the GMC - Princeton, Lakota West and Mason - a combined record of 26-4.

When it comes to the GMC you could say Fairfield is the best of the worst and the worst of the best.

Senior Heavy: They start 19 seniors, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore

Fairfield Offense

The offense revolves around junior #18 Talon Fisher (6’2” 200lb), a dual threat QB who passes and rushes 14 times a game each.
He completes half of his passes and has thrown as many TDs as INTs (8/8)
He averages 20 yards a pass completion (122 yards/game) and 10 yards per carry (133 yards/game)
He also does a decent job punting (37 yards/kick)
Fisher had a monster game in the 38-31 loss to Lakota West, throwing for 138 yards and rushing for 256 yards.
He has a 3 star rating with offers from Miami OH, Buffalo and UMass.

#3 Senior RB Jordan Jackson (5’11” 175lb) averages 14 carries a game for 90 yards, about 6 yards a carry
He has a 3 star rating and is committed to play at West Virginia.

There are no standout WRs…….6 guys make a 20 yard catch per game

A trio of seniors anchor the OLine: #55 C Dalton Davis Sr. 6’3” 290lb, #67 G Harrison Mensah Sr. 6’4” 320lb and #54 T Collin Robinson Sr. 6’2” 315lb

They have a reliable sophomore place kicker

Fairfield Defense

Injun DLine

#28 DE Aamir Rogers Sr. 6’6” 230lb
#33 NG James Thomas Sr. 6’6” 275lb offers from Akron, Army, Bowling Green, UConn and Central Michigan
#11 DE Josh Maupin Sr. 6’3” 245lb

Injun LBs
#2 Kavi Bivins Sr. 6’0” 210lb leading tackler, #27 Matt Humburger Sr. 6’1” 205lb and #40 Dorian Soriano Jr. 6'0" 195lb

Injun Secondary
#7 CB Josiah Jackson Sr. 6’1” 175lb like twin brother Jordan (RB) is committed to West Virginia
#4 FS/WR/PR Ki’Arran Love Sr. 5’11” 190lb offer from Marist
#5 SS Ray Coney Sr. 6’3” 210lb Army commit

3 questions as the post season begins
1. Good to see O’Malley back on the field last Friday night. What will be his role?
2. 10 freshmen are with the varsity. More than half have been getting playing time. Will they play a significant role?
3. The RB position is in total flux. Who carries the ball this Friday?

1. Good to see O’Malley back on the field last Friday night. What will be his role?
2. 10 freshmen are with the varsity. More than half have been getting playing time. Will they play a significant role?
O'Malley will be the backup the rest of the year, and I'm guessing will move positions next year. The offense hasn't necessarily been better under Herbstreit, but it feels more consistent and confident. Maybe the limited experience is what was needed to force Cov's hand. I'm excited more for next year with the weapons. This team is desperate for a speed receiver, the scheme needs it, and I think the four underclassmen WR's all have it.

With the defensive backfield being inconsistent and injured this year, I can see the twin corners playing more. Not sure who else, but from what I saw and heard Friday they played decently.

I don't care who runs it as long as they run it. The line looks ten times better focusing on power blocking schemes than in pass protection.

O'Malley will be the backup the rest of the year, and I'm guessing will move positions next year. The offense hasn't necessarily been better under Herbstreit, but it feels more consistent and confident. Maybe the limited experience is what was needed to force Cov's hand. I'm excited more for next year with the weapons. This team is desperate for a speed receiver, the scheme needs it, and I think the four underclassmen WR's all have it.

With the defensive backfield being inconsistent and injured this year, I can see the twin corners playing more. Not sure who else, but from what I saw and heard Friday they played decently.

I don't care who runs it as long as they run it. The line looks ten times better focusing on power blocking schemes than in pass protection.
According to St. X website the QB (Herb) was 8-17 for 63 yards vs LIFE. Is that really the best St. X has with all of those kids? There has to be a kid that can play QB in that school. Normally a great running game makes passing much easier. Something does not seem right....

According to St. X website the QB (Herb) was 8-17 for 63 yards vs LIFE. Is that really the best St. X has with all of those kids? There has to be a kid that can play QB in that school. Normally a great running game makes passing much easier. Something does not seem right....
I was thinking the same thing. Stats of course can not tell the entire story so I am curious as to what those who were at the game thought of Herbstreits play? Did it look composed and control of the offense? Was the lower completion due to his throws or receiver drops?

8-17 for 63 yards seems to be very black and white. Watching X a few times, I bet half of those completions were screen plays as well.

1. I think O'Malley should be the starter, for what appeared to be his short comings, he was waaaaay more effective than Herbstreit, but I think they’ll ride with 7.
2. Interesting to see if the last game is the exception or the rule moving forward. A couple freshman got meaningful reps and didn't look bad
3.Patrick unless Napier gets cleared, and even then I would run Patrick more than Napier. He seems more explosive as of late (has definitely taken advantage of his opportunitues). 29 and 22 I think Leonard and Stegebauer (sp) looked mediocre at best. I expect that from the freshman, Leonard looked afraid to hit holes on a few runs. What happened to Dean? I remember seeing him on JV and he was a hard runner especially considering his size.

Herbstreit is decent in the pocket, but when flushed out of the pocket, he is horribly inaccurate. At this point, I'd rather have O'Malley in there. Both QBs need to look to run more when they get pressured. O'Malley has been better at that in my opinion.

O'Malley was largely ineffective when he was in, partially due to scheme, but never seemed confident. Herbstreit has only been the starter for a few games, and doesn't have the chemistry or timing with the WR's. Let's not forget he's a soph as well.

The X offense hasn't been right all year, but that's what you get trying to replace pretty much the entire starting offense at once. The line is not adept at pass blocking, and the OC didn't recognize that until two games ago. They don't have a receiver even as good as McFarlin was last year, much less what they had in '20. The team is young and inexperienced, and has played a difficult schedule as always.

This team was never going to be dominant this year, maybe 7-3 at very best. The play calling hasn't helped at all, and put a decent but not great defense on the field way too much. With Fairfield having a running QB, I wouldn't be surprised if X fell this week, it's almost always been an Achilles heel.. see V. Elder or Trinity this year. Their edge discipline will have to be very good or it could be a long night.

O'Malley was largely ineffective when he was in, partially due to scheme, but never seemed confident. Herbstreit has only been the starter for a few games, and doesn't have the chemistry or timing with the WR's. Let's not forget he's a soph as well.

The X offense hasn't been right all year, but that's what you get trying to replace pretty much the entire starting offense at once. The line is not adept at pass blocking, and the OC didn't recognize that until two games ago. They don't have a receiver even as good as McFarlin was last year, much less what they had in '20. The team is young and inexperienced, and has played a difficult schedule as always.

This team was never going to be dominant this year, maybe 7-3 at very best. The play calling hasn't helped at all, and put a decent but not great defense on the field way too much. With Fairfield having a running QB, I wouldn't be surprised if X fell this week, it's almost always been an Achilles heel.. see V. Elder or Trinity this year. Their edge discipline will have to be very good or it could be a long night.
I think Vollmer may be giving them a great look so hopefully they'll be prepared

I think these two teams are built very similar to one another with each wanting to run the ball and chew up clock. However, I give the edge to X since I think they’ll be more ready and prepared on defense after going through the gauntlet they’ve had all season. I’m sure they’ll bend a few times here or there bc of Fisher taking off, but they won’t break. Napier/Patrick running 20-30 times behind the OL will give them advantage in TOP. St Xavier wins 24-20

Herbstreit looks fine. He seems to have more zip on his passes and he certainly throws a better spiral. I would not change QB. FWIW I think Vollmer is going to end up being a WR for this team and mainly because he won't have the time to commit to be a high level QB since he is also a very good Lacrosse player. The QB position is demanding and requires a lot of training in the off season. Having said that Vollmer could easily be the next Liam Clifford so there is no downside for his being a WR.

Herbstreit looks fine. He seems to have more zip on his passes and he certainly throws a better spiral. I would not change QB. FWIW I think Vollmer is going to end up being a WR for this team and mainly because he won't have the time to commit to be a high level QB since he is also a very good Lacrosse player. The QB position is demanding and requires a lot of training in the off season. Having said that Vollmer could easily be the next Liam Clifford so there is no downside for his being a WR.
Vollmer will be QB next year, mark it down. He would gladly 86 lax for football. He has been managing training for both, he has been and still works out with Tony Pike.

Vollmer will be QB next year, mark it down. He would gladly 86 lax for football. He has been managing training for both, he has been and still works out with Tony Pike.

My west side friends that have kids on the Freshman team, tell me the Fresh QB is a hell of a runner but was like 1 for 15 in passing in the JV game vs St. Iggy. That does not sound good. I would imagine after watching this years varsity team, X wants a QB that can make the routine throws. Elder and Moeller always seem to find a kid, wonder why X is struggling.

He was playing his 1st jv game, which he never practiced with JV. The game was his first time throwing to them and he didnt start. His completion percentage with freshman was way better. Im sure a full offseason of work and better grasp of the offense and working on his reads will have him ready to rock and roll.

He was playing his 1st jv game, which he never practiced with JV. The game was his first time throwing to them and he didnt start. His completion percentage with freshman was way better. Im sure a full offseason of work and better grasp of the offense and working on his reads will have him ready to rock and roll.
Sounds like a lot of excuses. If you are a baller, you perform. You do not need a better grasp of an offense to hit a hitch route, fade route or slant route. Football 101. Again, I heard the kid is really talented, but maybe not a QB. Long and inaccurate throwing motion. If he transfers to Elder or LaSalle he can be a running QB.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. If you are a baller, you perform. You do not need a better grasp of an offense to hit a hitch route, fade route or slant route. Football 101. Again, I heard the kid is really talented, but maybe not a QB. Long and inaccurate throwing motion. If he transfers to Elder or LaSalle he can be a running QB.
Yes because Herbstreit came in as a freshman tearing it up. Vollmer is light-years ahead of Herbstreit compared to the same point in time. Not an excuse, but you trying throwing to people you have NO chemistry with. Either way we'll see what happens next year, but right now we should be focused on this Friday. Is Napier for sure a go or will we not find out until Friday?

Last edited:
The X Freshman games are on Stxsports.net if you want to do your own leg work.
Timing and practice time developing chemistry with your receivers is pretty overrated too, its not like you see NFL QB'S struggling in those situations. But those are probably just excuses, right.

And yeah, X has had a lot of trouble finding capable QB's the past ten years, it's amazing they've been able to compete at all. SMH.

My money is on Herbstreit to be the starter until he graduates. The kid has talent and is pretty athletic himself. He is going to be really hard to beat out next season. Also agree with the above poster, Volmer's arm motion is long and that isn't always easy to change.

Yes, I think it's shaping up to be a Clifford-Wolf situation. He's shown decent athleticism and Specht said he's a film rat, which he loves.

My money is on Herbstreit to be the starter until he graduates. The kid has talent and is pretty athletic himself. He is going to be really hard to beat out next season. Also agree with the above poster, Volmer's arm motion is long and that isn't always easy to change.
Every 6 to 8 years a sophomore QB leads the StX Bombers into the post-season.
Chase Herbstreit will be the 5th.
Name the year, the sophomore QB and the season result

Answer:
2014 Sean Clifford: X finished 10-3 was Region 4 #2 seed and lost to Moeller in Round 3 21-0 at Dwire Field
2007 Luke Massa X finished 15-0 was Region 4 #1 seed and won the state championship beating Mentor 27-0 at Fawcett Stadium
1999 Marty Mooney X finished 10-1 was Region 4 #1 seed and lost to Wayne in regional final 37-14 at Welcome Stadium
1993 Joe Sprengard X finished 7-3 was Region 4 #2 seed and lost to Princeton in Round 1 42-3 at Nippert Stadium

The Bombers placed 8 players on the GGCL all star team
This is exactly half the number compared to last season.

1st Team: Bonner, Fleetwood, Hammond, Houston, Sharp and Wassler
2nd Team: Devine and Dollenmeyer
All are seniors. 4 defense and 4 offense.
Bonner and Fleetwood made the team last year as juniors

Yes, I think it's shaping up to be a Clifford-Wolf situation. He's shown decent athleticism and Specht said he's a film rat, which he loves.
O'Malley already with the defensive secondary - next year will he play safety or wide receiver or will he choose to join the QB battle?

Herbstreit and Vollmer are both excellent runners (Vollmer may be more elusive)
Should one clearly win the QB position next summer, would the other switch to WR for varsity playing time?

Or are both pretty much locks for a D1 QB schollie like Clifford and Wolf and wait their turn?
Both are 6'1" right now and will be interesting to see if either, or both, experience an off season growth spurt

Fairfield is similar to last year's StX team in the make up of their starters by class.
The entire Fairfield defense is 11 seniors and the offense is 8 seniors, 2 juniors and a sophomore.
This is an experienced, veteran team as 16 of the 19 seniors started last year as juniors.

O'Malley already with the defensive secondary - next year will he play safety or wide receiver or will he choose to join the QB battle?

Herbstreit and Vollmer are both excellent runners (Vollmer may be more elusive)
Should one clearly win the QB position next summer, would the other switch to WR for varsity playing time?

Or are both pretty much locks for a D1 QB schollie like Clifford and Wolf and wait their turn?
Both are 6'1" right now and will be interesting to see if either, or both, experience an off season growth spurt
It seems a bit premature to be predicting D1 scholarship for a freshmen and sophomore.