Week 10: West Jefferson (7-1) @ Coldwater (8-0)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do think WJ has the offense to keep this game not just respectable, but interesting. While I agree the points allowed to Anna are somewhat alarming, I was also someone that expected Anna to compete in that game. The Rockets were young and improving as the year has gone on. To be totally transparent on this game, some could raise an eyebrow at Coldwater's struggles with Fort Recovery as well. During the regular season the Cavs beat FR 51-37. The playoff outcome was much more in doubt, 28-26. I still favor CW in this game, but I would be surprised if it's a complete and total runaway by the Cavs too.

To be fair though, when a MAC team can demolish a team outside their conference, they usually get played pretty hard in conference. It happens a lot. 2017 Minster for example. 4 losses in conference, brought home a state title. I think FR just see’s CW so much they know how to put a few points on them. If I was game planning for CW I’d definitely check out some MAC film

To be fair though, when a MAC team can demolish a team outside their conference, they usually get played pretty hard in conference. It happens a lot. 2017 Minster for example. 4 losses in conference, brought home a state title. I think FR just see’s CW so much they know how to put a few points on them. If I was game planning for CW I’d definitely check out some MAC film

Agreed. And it's Coldwater which is one of the most dependable of the MAC teams come playoff time. I still think WJ can find some offensive success. Somewhere around 21 points.

Agreed. And it's Coldwater which is one of the most dependable of the MAC teams come playoff time. I still think WJ can find some offensive success. Somewhere around 21 points.

I’m going 42-14 CW. Maybe I’m wrong but I think CW has a much easier game this week vs last week

Maybe Coldwater should get Amazon to move Coldwater. Heard their doing great things with West Jeff facilities.
Just curious, but what great things have they done at WJ's facilities? I grew up there and went to school there and the facilities were always good for a small school. Especially the baseball field. The softball field got a new fence a few years back and they did some work on the soccer field a few years back as well. The football field? has always been manicured and taken care of sadly when other sports were slightly ignored. I remember they got that new scoreboard only to have it blown over when that hurricane (tropical depression) whatever it was called came through. They then built a new one with bricks.

OHC fans, on tuesdays Chip has his weekly podcast i guess you can call it talking about the Fort Recovery game and previewing the West Jeff game on the football website which also has highlights and stats.

Or Youtube link to the video:

Also for your viewing pleasure, there are 2 Coldwater games on Youtube as well.
Minster:

Delphos St Johns:

Just curious, but what great things have they done at WJ's facilities? I grew up there and went to school there and the facilities were always good for a small school. Especially the baseball field. The softball field got a new fence a few years back and they did some work on the soccer field a few years back as well. The football field? has always been manicured and taken care of sadly when other sports were slightly ignored. I remember they got that new scoreboard only to have it blown over when that hurricane (tropical depression) whatever it was called came through. They then built a new one with bricks.
West Jeff is now working on an indoor training facility (half football field) with artificial turf. It will be used for Football, Soccer, Band during the colder months or bad weather. Should be completed by early spring 2021. The total cost of the project right around $500,000. Should be a really nice addition to the WJ sports complex. I read that the entire project will be funded with private and business donations. For a small school the sports complex is top notch.

West Jeff is now working on an indoor training facility (half football field) with artificial turf. It will be used for Football, Soccer, Band during the colder months or bad weather. Should be completed by early spring 2021. The total cost of the project right around $500,000. Should be a really nice addition to the WJ sports complex. I read that the entire project will be funded with private and business donations. For a small school the sports complex is top notch.

$500k would barely cover the turf. Must be some big donations if that’s the project cost. Sounds nice though, good for WJ!

Wow... You can say I haven't been in town much. Holy crap!!! Be nice for the softball and baseball programs to use instead of going to the Bo Jackson complex in Hilliard.

Is WJ turf? I can't recall for some reason. Old age. LOL! WJ people have $$$$ ? :cool:(y)
No, West Jeff has always been a grass field. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm sure that the field turf is better in some way.. I just like the game played on grass.

$500k would barely cover the turf. Must be some big donations if that’s the project cost. Sounds nice though, good for WJ!
Here is the article from the Madison press. Should be very nice once completed.

No, West Jeff has always been a grass field. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm sure that the field turf is better in some way.. I just like the game played on grass.
Always been a grass field, I hope they keep it that way. The field is always well maintained.

How is West Jefferson team speed?
Reason I ask is, according to Marion Local fans, Coldwater is known to water their field to slow down a team of superior speed and talent.

Excuses coming already lol. I don’t want excuses, only “Ohiofootball80, you were right.” Of course that’s for the NB vs FL game but if you’re making excuses here already, I’m sure you will there too

Speaking of turf...

Couple of years ago it slipped out that CW was looking to possibly put in turf especially since the girls soccer team started to play their home games on the field and they "conveniently" had some sort of grass problem.

It has not gained much traffic, from what I gather, as the community just completed a rather large dollar renovation and addition of the CPAC facility and the area below the home stands.

Up until a few years ago, Coldwater's locker room was too small and instead they went to the corner of the facility OUTSIDE in pre-game and half time. The visitors locker room was so small that only the starters really could utilize it at any given time.

Businesses and the community was just too exhausted, and poor, to put forth another large scale fundraising effort for turf. CW is out of the way and not likely to host many playoff games. Plus, CW has been fairly successful in making the playoffs so that typically cuts your nights in half that you can actually host as there is zero possibility of hosting a game AND the team playing elsewhere.

Speaking of turf...

Couple of years ago it slipped out that CW was looking to possibly put in turf especially since the girls soccer team started to play their home games on the field and they "conveniently" had some sort of grass problem.

It has not gained much traffic, from what I gather, as the community just completed a rather large dollar renovation and addition of the CPAC facility and the area below the home stands.

Up until a few years ago, Coldwater's locker room was too small and instead they went to the corner of the facility OUTSIDE in pre-game and half time. The visitors locker room was so small that only the starters really could utilize it at any given time.

Businesses and the community was just too exhausted, and poor, to put forth another large scale fundraising effort for turf. CW is out of the way and not likely to host many playoff games. Plus, CW has been fairly successful in making the playoffs so that typically cuts your nights in half that you can actually host as there is zero possibility of hosting a game AND the team playing elsewhere.
I think it's about time the conversation was revisited. I think we'd benefit greatly from it. Not for some of the reasons that Goodwin was opining like hosting. We could host All levels of girls soccer and football. Baseball can use it in the spring when the grass is still too wet. Other teams have had softball games on their turf. I think it also would be cheaper to maintain over time as well

I think it's about time the conversation was revisited. I think we'd benefit greatly from it. Not for some of the reasons that Goodwin was opining like hosting. We could host All levels of girls soccer and football. Baseball can use it in the spring when the grass is still too wet. Other teams have had softball games on their turf. I think it also would be cheaper to maintain over time as well
With this Boomer Doomer upon us, it may be awhile before large projects will commence again.

I called out the poppycock explanation of hosting playoff games and what it would do for the economy hosting said playoff games. I am not against it at all, just some of the reasons given.

Using it for baseball and softball would be legit. We had to take groundballs on the blacktop when the ground was too wet and a turf area would be legit (and I am against Veterans Field going to turf).

As for as cheaper to maintain, I have my own thoughts on that. The only way I believe that makes sense is when you factor in the cost of the field is "free" for the school as the community is footing the bill. If one factors in the actual cost of the renovation and turf, and repairs/replacing then in the long run I do not feel that is the true case, BUT if the school considers the field "free" then yeah, it likely costs less per year to maintain.

Need someone to become a big time NFL player, but I do not see that really ever happening.

My guess is best thing WJ could do is to watch the FR game and some other close in-conference games and try to mimic that game plan exactly. Of course the kids would still have to execute it perfectly and I personally don’t see those kids being able to execute that game plan as well as the kids from FR and other MAC teams that play CW all the time. One could say that FR beat themselves last week with turnovers (CW played a clean 0 turnover game) but even if they did advance, I’d still say FR would win this matchup. One thing is for sure, WJ is going to have to come out of their comfort zone with a completely different game plan than they have in the past to have a shot at this. Their game plans in the past just haven’t worked. The closest game out of 3 meetings was CW by 22. They are going to have to hit CW with something they haven’t seen from them before or this will be no different. I think CW is too much and runs away with it

Last edited:
My guess is best thing WJ could do is to watch the FR game and some other close in-conference games and try to mimic that game plan exactly. Of course the kids would still have to execute it perfectly and I personally don’t see those kids being able to execute that game plan as well as the kids from FR and other MAC teams that play CW all the time. One could say that FR beat themselves last week with turnovers (CW played a clean 0 turnover game) but even if they did advance, I’d still say FR would win this matchup. One thing is for sure, WJ is going to have to come out of their comfort zone with a completely different game plan than they have in the past to have a shot at this. Their game plans in the past just haven’t worked. The closest game out of 3 meetings was CW by 22. They are going to have to hit CW with something they haven’t seen from them before or this will be no different. I think CW is too much and runs away with it
That is the general idea of game film, no doubt about that.

It is prudent to scout the deficiencies of an opponent, but essentially a team needs to do what they do best. It has to be a delicate balance because the last thing you want to do is lose a game trying to target a team's weaknesses instead of playing to your own strengths.

I will tell you what I was told recently when a team watched a film against an opponent who lost 40-0. An assistant said, "unless we trot out those 11 on defense this is worthless'.

That is the general idea of game film, no doubt about that.

It is prudent to scout the deficiencies of an opponent, but essentially a team needs to do what they do best. It has to be a delicate balance because the last thing you want to do is lose a game trying to target a team's weaknesses instead of playing to your own strengths.

I will tell you what I was told recently when a team watched a film against an opponent who lost 40-0. An assistant said, "unless we trot out those 11 on defense this is worthless'.

If they stick with what they do best as they have in the past, it’s over. I know teams like to do what they are more comfortable with but that just hasn’t worked against CW and it won’t here either. Just like coach yoast told coach boone “He’s on to your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”

If they stick with what they do best as they have in the past, it’s over. I know teams like to do what they are more comfortable with but that just hasn’t worked against CW and it won’t here either. Just like coach yoast told coach boone “He’s on to your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”
So you are for a team to do something they do not normally do, is not their best strong suit, and expect it to result in a positive outcome?
I understand putting in some wrinkles to change things up, trying to play on an opponent's weakness at times but a team needs to do what they do best.

If WJ was weak against a power running team who deploys a double tight, split backfield and pounds it and a team who specializes in the spread decides to change horses midstream and try implement more of that offense instead of what they do best, and have been working on since August and often time for years, then i would call that coach a fool.

WJ, and CW, both need to do what they do best on offense and defense and within those confines try to exploit certain weaknesses.

Like a pitcher who has a great fastball but a poor breaking ball who is going against a hitter who sucks at hitting it. You may still throw a CB but should be very judicious in its use because it is not your strong point.

You want to get beat doing what you do best. If you get beat doing something you dont normally do then it haunts you forever, but at least you can handle losing if you know you went down if you went with your best.

Recall few years ago CW vs Versailles in the playoffs that was played at UD. CW came out on offense playing more double tight, ran more options than they did all season, and the offense didnt look like it did all year. In talking with some players that next summer they mentioned how they spent all week putting in and working on new wrinkles on offense to exploit weaknesses instead of going with what they did all season.

but i digress.

Have a good evenin' y'all.