Week 1: Elder at Covington Catholic(KY)

Counterpoint, other states allow it and it only benefits the schools already at the top. Kids from New Albany, Indiana (like Rondale Moore) can go to Trinity in Louisville.
That seems like a point for NOT allowing it? Let the rich get richer, I'm sure most schools would pass on that.

CC is like a D II in Ohio. It's like them playing LaSalle or WW.
In terms of Harbins, but they don’t have the talent of those 2 teams. But again, if Elder takes CC lightly, they’ll lose.

That seems like a point for NOT allowing it? Let the rich get richer, I'm sure most schools would pass on that.
How many public schools have open enrollment? Also, Michael Mayer is the outlier. The vast majority of kids they could pull from NKY wouldn’t be super studs, they might not even play football at all. It would just be nice to have that boost in enrollment.

This is right on. Remember 7th&8th Graders are also eligible for Varsity Sports in KY but are not in Ohio. Also many of the NKY Schools including some Public’s have strong academic &athletic traditions.

So a former KY 8th grader that has 6 varsity letters under his belt (soccer, basketball and baseball) moves to Ohio and starts his freshman year at school Z. Does the kid have only two years of eligibility in soccer, basketball and baseball and fours years in other hs sports? Just wondering.

How many public schools have open enrollment? Also, Michael Mayer is the outlier. The vast majority of kids they could pull from NKY wouldn’t be super studs, they might not even play football at all. It would just be nice to have that boost in enrollment.
Disagree on the talent. They have players of the same caliber as the majority of the kids playing at Elder, just not as many. Agree on the enrollment issue, but they also would send over a few guys that would contribute as well. Very similar types of players, just a smaller school. Mayer is their version of Kyle Rudolph - neither school has many of them and both are significant outliers as compared to typical talent at each school.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the enrollment boost and I would love for that to be an option for Elder, especially those Elder Alums from across the river. But you tried to use Trinity and already successful schools as a reason that it shouldn't matter. Yet 95% of schools wouldn't be affected by the change and schools who are already good can then get more talent. You're making an argument for the other side.

CC is like a D II in Ohio. It's like them playing LaSalle or WW.

Yes, it's worth D2 Harbin points based on their enrollment. It was last season. It's really a great week 1 opponent for Elder. Ideally, Elder wins and gets a lot of harbin points from CC throughout the season. For CC, they get a really good opponent to let them know where they stand week 1. It's a non-district game that if I am not mistaken doesn't affect their playoff seeding in Kentucky.

I know Elder is not taking CC lightly, especially with it being at CC.

The only one negative harbin points wise, is Cov Cath has a bye again so only 8 of their opponents are possible L2 points for Elder. Ohio playoffs start the week of CC 10th game.

So a former KY 8th grader that has 6 varsity letters under his belt (soccer, basketball and baseball) moves to Ohio and starts his freshman year at school Z. Does the kid have only two years of eligibility in soccer, basketball and baseball and fours years in other hs sports? Just wondering.
I think they only get 2 years. Look at OJ Mayo and his buddy at North College Hill.

OHSAA Bylaw 4-3
After establishing ninth-grade eligibility, you are permitted only eight (8) semesters of athletic eligibility. The semesters are taken in order of attendance once ninth-grade eligibility has been established. Semesters are counted toward eligibility whether you participate in interscholastic athletics or not. There are exceptions to this regulation, so please arrange a meeting with your principal or athletic administrator to review these exceptions.

The only one negative harbin points wise, is Cov Cath has a bye again so only 8 of their opponents are possible L2 points for Elder. Ohio playoffs start the week of CC 10th game.
Actually not really. Since Elder's level 2 divsor will drop by 1 it won't hurt Elder.

Let's look at Elder 2019.

Elder received 2.6603 of their Harbin total from Gahanna Lincoln. Gahanna Lincoln is D1 but went 3-7 that year.
Elder received 2.8758 of their Harbin total from Clearwater Academy a D7 school. Clearwater went 7-2 Harbin wise.

Number of wins says more about the Harbins you contribute than size of school.

This year Elder's three biggest Harbin games are X, Moeller, and Springboro. Those games are big because if you lose, all your wins help teams in your region and pushes yourself down.

But with all that being said with 18/19 teams in Region 4, you just have to win about 3 games and you are guranteed a playoff spot.

The only one negative harbin points wise, is Cov Cath has a bye again so only 8 of their opponents are possible L2 points for Elder.
I wonder how Highlands feels about Cov Cath having an extra week to prepare for their matchup.

Actually not really. Since Elder's level 2 divsor will drop by 1 it won't hurt Elder.
It won't hurt Elder mathematically, but you can never have too many L2 points and Cov Cath will probably beat Ryle in the regular season finale.

So I talked to a cousin that has a son at CovCath. She told me that CovCath said it won't sell out and they will just keep selling tickets. So get there early.

I wonder if you'll be able to park in cov cath's parking lot. I can't remember how big it is
Per CC athletic site, Parking is permitted in the CC lot and another lot (Garden Park Hills) but Tailgating is prohibited. I would get there early, walk up to Skyline and get a bite to eat.

Per CC athletic site, Parking is permitted in the CC lot and another lot (Garden Park Hills) but Tailgating is prohibited. I would get there early, walk up to Skyline and get a bite to eat.
Yes, also in the past, you can also park in St. Agnes as mentioned and also across the street at Notre Dame Academy.

It’s absolutely a rule. I still find it odd how willing the OHSAA was ready to embrace a potential NIL rule, but still thinks allowing kids from a bordering state to play sports is a step too far.

There are some OHSAA exceptions that allow eligibility for out of state kids. One is if you attend an Ohio grade school consecutively in grade school you can attend the assigned feeder high school. If I understood the rule right, a kid living in Northern Kentucky that say went to St. William from 1st - 8th grade would be eligible to play sports at Elder as a freshman without moving to Ohio.

They will be young and lack experience under the Friday night lights but Covington Catholic will not let that hinder its quest for a third state title in the last six years. The Colonels aren’t “wow” you with their size, They will use speed and smarts to get by their opponents this fall.

Covington Catholic has dominated its Class 5A, District 5 rivals over the past six years. The Colonels have not lost a game (regular season or playoffs) to a district foe, in that span, going 26-0. This season will be much more of a dogfight to keep that streak going as those teams have all gotten better than they were a year ago.

This squad will play with a chip on its shoulder because there are so many so many unproven commodities (players). That will make Covington Catholic a dangerous team to face. Under head coach Eddie Eviston’s guidance you can bet the Colonels will be up and well-prepared for all the challenges that come before them in 2022.

Class 5A, District 5
2021 RECORD: 9-4, 4-0 Class 5A, District 5
COACH: Eddie Eviston (77-19 at Covington Catholic, seven years; 112-27 overall, 10 years)

TOP RETURNEES
Aiden Jones
, Sr, TE/LB – One of the best defensive players in northern Kentucky. Jones led the Colonels with 83 total tackles, had a fumble recovery with two-and-a-half sacks in 2021. Jones who has verbally committed to Army has 136 total tackles, three-and-a-half sacks and two fumble recoveries including a scoop-and-score in his career.

Max Lawrie, Sr, OL/DL – The leader and anchor up front for the Colonels. Lawrie has 39 total tackles, three sacks and seven tackles for losses in his career.

Oliver Bent, Sr, WR/DB – Back for a second year as a starter, the coaching staff is going to lean on his senior leadership on defense. He recorded 33 total tackles, a forced fumble and recovered a fumble in 2021.

Evan Pitzer, Jr, QB – Gets his shot at winning the starting quarterback job. In three games as a sophomore, Pitzer threw for 252 yards, ran for 53 yards and accounted for three touchdowns (two pass, one rush).

Owen Leen, Jr, RB/LB – Opportunities are going to knock for Leen. He will be a key contributor on both sides of the ball. Leen had 56 yards rushing, a rushing touchdown, two receptions, 28 receiving yards and 12 total tackles as a sophomore.

Willie Rodriguez, Jr, TE/L – Had moments of greatness as a sophomore and should have even more this fall. Rodriguez tallied 12 total tackles, had two sacks and three tackles for losses in 2021.

Braylon Miller, Jr, WR/DB – Will be one of the breakout performers in 2022. Miller will see time on both sides of the ball and be a major factor in the secondary. He was in on 13 total tackles as a sophomore.

PLAYOFF HISTORY
State Champion (eight) – 2019 (5A), 2017 (5A), 2006 (3A), 1997 (3A), 1994 (3A), 1993 (3A), 1988 (3A) & 1987 (3A).
State Runner-up (one) – 2018 (5A).

2022 SCHEDULE
Fri – 08/19/22 – ELDER (OH) (6-6 in 2021) – 7:00 PM
Sa – 08/27/22 – at Pikeville (14-2) – TBA
Fri – 09/02/22 – at Lexington Catholic (9-3) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/09/22 – at Dixie Heights (7-5) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/16/22 – BEECHWOOD (15-0) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/23/22 – at Cooper (7-4) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 09/30/22 – at Boone County (4-6) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/07/22 – BYE
Fri – 10/14/22 – HIGHLANDS (5-6) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/21/22 – CONNER (7-5) – 7:00 PM
Fri – 10/28/22 – at Ryle (9-4) – 7:00 PM

Elder at Covington Catholic​

What to watch: Elder has won all six meetings between these Catholic-school powers, but this is the first time they have ever played in Park Hills at Griffin Stadium.

The Panthers lost plenty of firepower on offense with the multi-faceted Drew Ramsey and quarterback Ben Hambleton. Reliable receiver Andrew Harp also graduated, but the Panthers will have Carson Browne at 6-foot-8-inches from the basketball team and deep burner Justin Re, who had 26 catches for 460 yards and three touchdowns.

In the backfield, senior Luke Flowers is the top returning rusher with 341 yards and six scores, plus he added 32 catches for 230 yards. Elder is traditionally a passing team, but the Panthers may not throw as much this year due to the physical size of their offensive line, the running ability of Flowers and who their starting quarterback turns out to be.

CovCath has been known for having strong quarterbacks. Last year, after an injury to starting QB Evan Pitzer, the Colonels were primarily a running team with top athlete Preston Agee under center. Pitzer is likely to take over the starting job again this season.

CovCath graduated its top ball carriers. Owen Leen looks to be the starting running back, and a new group of receivers will be catching the ball. Aiden Jones, a senior who has committed to play for Army, leads the defense at linebacker and is the team’s top leader. Willie Rodriguez is a returning starter at outside linebacker and also one of the top receivers. The Colonels return a lot of experience in the secondary, led by Leen.

Picks: Elder (Dermer, Springer, Weber, Harrison, Laughman), Covington Catholic (Connelly)

There are some OHSAA exceptions that allow eligibility for out of state kids. One is if you attend an Ohio grade school consecutively in grade school you can attend the assigned feeder high school. If I understood the rule right, a kid living in Northern Kentucky that say went to St. William from 1st - 8th grade would be eligible to play sports at Elder as a freshman without moving to Ohio.
I believe for Indiana kids, if you go to St Lawrence in Lawrenceburg, you’re also able to play sports in Ohio for a Catholic HS. Regardless, it’s stupid. I could understand a rule where you have to attend a Catholic school in NKY, but they go to extremes outright banning kids from playing sports.

I believe for Indiana kids, if you go to St Lawrence in Lawrenceburg, you’re also able to play sports in Ohio for a Catholic HS. Regardless, it’s stupid. I could understand a rule where you have to attend a Catholic school in NKY, but they go to extremes outright banning kids from playing sports.
It really is funny that it's ok for one to attend the school from another state, but not be allowed to participate in all of the extracurriculars made available by the school. But like others have said, not likely to have the rule changed any time soon, so no need to spend a lot of time on it.

It really is funny that it's ok for one to attend the school from another state, but not be allowed to participate in all of the extracurriculars made available by the school. But like others have said, not likely to have the rule changed any time soon, so no need to spend a lot of time on it.
I know it’s a moot point, but it bugs me a lot.

There are exceptions to many rules. The situation you describe is probably less than a handful of kids statewide every year. Bottom line is I’m not sure it would regularly help any school.

I wonder if an out-of-state kid's family sued the OHSAA on those grounds, if the court would strike down the rule.
The bylaw at issue is 4-6-2. It reads, "A student whose parents, (biological or adoptive), reside outside the state of Ohio will be ineligible for interscholastic athletics in a member school. (See bylaw 4-8-1 for eligibility requirements for international students)."
In the 1984 case of Aldering v. Ohio High School Athletic Association (779 F. 2d. 315), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit affirmed the decision of the district court that found that the bylaw did not violate the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Parents of a student who attended X (they lived in northern Kentucky) sued the OHSAA over the bylaw and lost.