Week 1: Elder at Covington Catholic(KY)

adselder09

Cov Cath doesn't have a very big stadium, how many tickets did Elder receive? Also anyone know if there will be a video stream of the game?

Cov Cath doesn't have a very big stadium, how many tickets did Elder receive? Also anyone know if there will be a video stream of the game?
I don’t know if they’ll steam this game, but they did steam the Frosh & JV games last year.

I think Elder wins relatively easy, but traveling to Cov Cath will be a little different than opening at home at the PIT. I think Cov Cath makes it a decent game, but Elder wears them out in the 2nd half.

Elder 35
Cov Cath 14

I think Elder wins relatively easy, but traveling to Cov Cath will be a little different than opening at home at the PIT. I think Cov Cath makes it a decent game, but Elder wears them out in the 2nd half.

Elder 35
Cov Cath 14
Agree - but think less points will be scored.

That's an interesting question since there are separate ticket selections for Elder and Cov Cath on the ticket page, but is there anything in place to prevent an Elder fan from buying a Cov Cath ticket? https://covcath.hometownticketing.com/embed/event/233
I am a fan of buy early. I know for playoff games Elder would receive a "cut" of the ticket sales. So I will assume Elder will get a cut of the away ticket sales.

I know in the past I have bought tickets to the Elder/Highlands game at Elder in 1999 from Highlands. Elder was sold out so I called Highlands and they weren't sold out yet. So I dove to Ft Thomas and bought some.

In 2020 I found the link to buy tickets to the Cathedral game. They only had an option for Cathedral fans to buy. So I bought a Cathedral ticket. When I went up to Cathedral I went to the Elder entrance. My ticket would not scan. The person then looked at my ticket (on my phone) said it was a legit ticket and just let me in. So if you buy a CovCath ticket walk in the CovCath gate. The stadium isn't that big so you can just walk around.

The Colonel faithful don't seem too confident.

I watched some of the scrimmage videos they posted and the Elder QB looks good.

Any idea on how many Starters return from last years 9-4 Team? The CC QB have Varsity experience? Definitely a winnable game for Elder.
It seems like they lost a lot from last yr and are rebuilding. Still, not a game Elder should take lightly.

Hopefully they can put the TV time outs in after recording.
I wouldn't bet on it. Low budget (and I don't mean that as a pejorative, I think Star 64 does a great job considering it's a local outlet) broadcasts usually won't/can't pay someone to handle that. At least I assume it's a financial thing.

They seem like a respectable fanbase and program. I bet Elder could pull 10 kids a year from NoKY without the stupid sports rule. Even though I'm not even sure it's an official rule on the books - maybe it is. Might be an urban legend - does anyone know for sure?
It is infact true. I live in NKY and know the rule well. At one point I could go to the OH$AA site and find it, but am too lazy to do so now.

They seem like a respectable fanbase and program. I bet Elder could pull 10 kids a year from NoKY without the stupid sports rule. Even though I'm not even sure it's an official rule on the books - maybe it is. Might be an urban legend - does anyone know for sure?
It’s absolutely a rule. I still find it odd how willing the OHSAA was ready to embrace a potential NIL rule, but still thinks allowing kids from a bordering state to play sports is a step too far.

Last edited:
Is it common for kids from Cincy to go to NoKY to go to school?

I know it happens with Cov Cath's basketball program but is that typically what its isolated to?

The ability to attract players from states other than Ohio, would really only benefit a handful of schools. The 95% of Ohio high schools who would NOT benefit from this rule change will never vote for it.

The ability to attract players from states other than Ohio, would really only benefit a handful of schools. The 95% of Ohio high schools who would NOT benefit from this rule change will never vote for it.
This is right on. Remember 7th&8th Graders are also eligible for Varsity Sports in KY but are not in Ohio. Also many of the NKY Schools including some Public’s have strong academic &athletic traditions.

Counterpoint, other states allow it and it only benefits the schools already at the top. Kids from New Albany, Indiana (like Rondale Moore) can go to Trinity in Louisville.