Valpo dropping Crusaders name

Steubenville Catholic Central Crusaders
Canton Central Catholic Crusaders
Columbus Crusaders club
Cleveland Martin Luther King Jr Crusaders
Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller Fighting Crusaders

The articles states that Valpo students, alumni, faculty, and administration support the mascot change. If they feel that's what's best for them as a private religious college, then who cares what a bunch of non-Valpo affiliated folks think?

The articles states that Valpo students, alumni, faculty, and administration support the mascot change. If they feel that's what's best for them as a private religious college, then who cares what a bunch of non-Valpo affiliated folks think?
Sure, some of each of those groups support it. Many don’t.

Sure, some of each of those groups support it. Many don’t.
Sure, some don't support it. Many do. The student and faculty groups passed resolutions and the alumni board of directors signaled support. So the "many don't" must be in the minority. I guess you're never going to please everybody, that's life.

I mean I don't know that I really care. A small private college in northwest Indiana changing their nickname from Crusaders to.. whatever else will not have any significant impact on my life in any way. If they want to change it (and it seems clear they do), then let them. Have at it.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's totally pretend people will get upset about every Bulldog or Tiger or Eagle because they choose to NOT honor the crusades where a whole lot of people needlessly died because they believed in the wrong invisible man.

The only thing ridiculous is that people actually gwt upset by this.

Yeah, let's totally pretend people will get upset about every Bulldog or Tiger or Eagle because they choose to NOT honor the crusades where a whole lot of people needlessly died because they believed in the wrong invisible man.

Agree with you 100% that people get upset by this. Now, the crusades were a fight over the exact same invisible man, just called him different names.
Crusaders is poor choice for a mascot name...... Hey we are the Catholic Muslim killers!!!!

Here is the thing about that........How many say they support it? How many truly support it? For those who dont do you think really many will stand up and look insensitive?

Sure, ask enough of them and you can find some students, almumni, etc, who support the mascot change.

Hell, you ask around enough in any organization you can find pretty much anything you want.

Did you ever study the Crusades?

What put the Crusades in motion?

Them changing the name has nothing to do with the Crusades. Copied and pasted from the article:
"The decision comes after a decadeslong debate that had intensified recently because groups such as the Ku Klux Klan began using the symbols and words."

Here is the thing about that........How many say they support it? How many truly support it? For those who dont do you think really many will stand up and look insensitive?

Sure, ask enough of them and you can find some students, almumni, etc, who support the mascot change.

Hell, you ask around enough in any organization you can find pretty much anything you want.
Like I said, I'm not affiliated with Valpo in any way and I think it's odd anyone cares what decisions they make if you have no relation to the university. So with that said, I don't know "how many" support it or are against it - it's not like there's a public, nation-wide referendum on a private college mascot. It does seem more likely than not that Valpo-affiliated folks have a majority support for the change (faculty, students, and alumni). If you're a University, you care about your faculty (employees), students (the current voice, your customers), and alumni (past students who are now donors). Now if either the students voted against making a change or if the alumni board of directors voted against it, then I think that would warrant a pause to reconsider. But that didn't happen. Valpo has the support, so who cares what other people think who aren't paying your bills anyways.

I think having flowers as a football mascot would be nice. The Purple Pansies has a nice ring to it.
Meet the NYU Violets. They used to have a flower mascot back in the day.

Attachments

• NYUViolets.jpg
    NYUViolets.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 21
Like I said, I'm not affiliated with Valpo in any way and I think it's odd anyone cares what decisions they make if you have no relation to the university. So with that said, I don't know "how many" support it or are against it - it's not like there's a public, nation-wide referendum on a private college mascot. It does seem more likely than not that Valpo-affiliated folks have a majority support for the change (faculty, students, and alumni). If you're a University, you care about your faculty (employees), students (the current voice, your customers), and alumni (past students who are now donors). Now if either the students voted against making a change or if the alumni board of directors voted against it, then I think that would warrant a pause to reconsider. But that didn't happen. Valpo has the support, so who cares what other people think who aren't paying your bills anyways.
What i am saying is that they are touting students, alumni, etc support it but in reality it could just be a very few.

What i am saying is that they are touting students, alumni, etc support it but in reality it could just be a very few.
I don't disagree, but you're just making a guess. As we all know - "elections have consequences." The faculty senate and student senate are elected by their peers to be the voice of the faculty and student body, respectively. The senates then make decisions - that's how governing works. Folks who disagree should redirect that energy toward having better representation.

Capital University in Columbus also changing their mascot away from Crusaders, also because of requests from students/alumni.

Mascots change all the time! It's ok!
I love how people get so upset over a mascot name change and claim it has to do with PC and everyone being soft, blah, blah, blah. I've said this before, if it's just a name, quit crying over it. Life must be really sad if you become upset over a school's name change. It's a name, that is all.

I love how people get so upset over a mascot name change and claim it has to do with PC and everyone being soft, blah, blah, blah. I've said this before, if it's just a name, quit crying over it. Life must be really sad if you become upset over a school's name change. It's a name, that is all.

You seem pretty upset over others presumably being upset over a mascot name being changed.

Why's a Lutheran school nicknamed "Crusaders" in the first place?
Same question that I had with Capital University in Columbus. Most plausible explanation would be that, while Crusade (proper noun) is specific to Catholicism, crusade (noun) is a general term. Considering the life of Luther, what he sought to accomplish and his means of doing so could be likened to a crusade.