Tulsa Race Massacre

Happier

Did not really cover this in my AP US History class.

What was its historical significance from a macro view?

I had not heard about this until a FB friend posted something about it a few years ago.

Very superficial story about it on the Today show this week. You have to dig deeper to learn the "assault" accusation was largely a false pretext for an event that had been some time in the planning. Interesting to know that the man accused of the assault was never charged - only arrested and then released the next day - and that he and the elevator operator had already been romantically involved.

Man's inhumanity to man.

That is awful. Why did the mostly segregationist Democrats do such a terrible thing? They should own up to it.

Learned about it in 8th grade.

Someone's AP History class needs some upgrades.

I don't recall it from class, learned about it much later. Back in my day I don't think it had hit the mainstream history books. I would consider it a significant event. Glad it's mentioned now. I think it important people know there were thriving midwestern economic communities that were attacked. It was not something well covered about our American history, which other than our town, rarely delved beyond the National.

I certainly do not proposed segregationist economic zones but planned communities are not new. If it were important to anyone they have a culture of me community, they can put their money where their mouth is. As long as when I sit down at the counter, I get treated as any other customer, I've got no beef. Unless it's Hindu I guess.

Rosewood, Florida... same story. Right down to the phony sexual assault excuse for the attack on a financially successful black community. I suspect these weren’t the only two communities to suffer an assault like this. Although I’m not a fan of reparations in general, I hope there is a way for ancestors to recover damages.

Rosewood, Florida... same story. Right down to the phony sexual assault excuse for the attack on a financially successful black community. I suspect these weren’t the only two communities to suffer an assault like this. Although I’m not a fan of reparations in general, I hope there is a way for ancestors to recover damages.
Reparations should only be discussed after the DNC pays out their entire cash reserves to blacks and Joe Biden gives a formal apology for his party’s national support of slavery, lynchings, the KKK, destroying the voting rights and political positions gained by blacks during Reconstruction, etc. Then the talk should shift to understand why many whites whose ancestors weren’t even in the country while the Democratic Party was committing some of the most heinous acts ever done to human beings are responsible for government funded reparations.

Or does giving voting rights back that were stolen away for a century and chicken feed government welfare absolve the party of all their wrong doing?

It amazes me that a political party can flip the script on their entire core values and expect all white people to feel guilt and privileged for the sins that they committed.

Happy: Mexican/Latin American immigrants are all peaceful people.

Also Happy: German immigrants were violent racists.
All white immigrants are violent, racist, rapists & killers. We should only take immigrants from peaceful countries like Rwanda, Venezuela, and Iran.

In the 1830s in the aftermath of the Cincinnati riots African Americans began to the to move to southern Mercer County on the Ohio frontier. Charles Moore, an African American founded the town of Carthagena. John Randolph, a Virginia plantation owner, decided to free his slaves on his death. He bought land for them in the southeastern part of the County and had White locals build cabins for the new Black settlers. In 1846 400 recently freed slaves traveled to their new homes on the Miami-Erie Canal. At New Bremen, a mob of local Whites was waiting for them. They would not allow them to land. In the aftermath of the riot, a meeting of representatives from throughout Mercer County met and proposed not allowing any more Blacks to move into the County and organizing an economic boycott of the current Black residents. At one time in the Antebellum Era Mercer County had the 4th highest per capita Black population in Ohio. And Marion township had the largest portion of them. According to the 2000 Census there no Blacks living in the County at that time. It has increased a little since then. Oh and the Randolph Slaves never got their land.

This was a tragedy and we should learn from it. But let's not overlook the fact slappy felt it was necessary to mention he took an AP US History class like that anyone actually gives two sheets.

This was a tragedy and we should learn from it. But let's not overlook the fact slappy felt it was necessary to mention he took an AP US History class like that anyone actually gives two sheets.
Wait. I though t we were supposed to be cancelling our past? So why is this even coming up¿.

In the 1830s in the aftermath of the Cincinnati riots African Americans began to the to move to southern Mercer County on the Ohio frontier. Charles Moore, an African American founded the town of Carthagena. John Randolph, a Virginia plantation owner, decided to free his slaves on his death. He bought land for them in the southeastern part of the County and had White locals build cabins for the new Black settlers. In 1846 400 recently freed slaves traveled to their new homes on the Miami-Erie Canal. At New Bremen, a mob of local Whites was waiting for them. They would not allow them to land. In the aftermath of the riot, a meeting of representatives from throughout Mercer County met and proposed not allowing any more Blacks to move into the County and organizing an economic boycott of the current Black residents. At one time in the Antebellum Era Mercer County had the 4th highest per capita Black population in Ohio. And Marion township had the largest portion of them. According to the 2000 Census there no Blacks living in the County at that time. It has increased a little since then. Oh and the Randolph Slaves never got their land.
I’ll worry about this in February.