Tourny forfeits???

Kurt Rambis

For example...is West HI going to show up and play X?

Saw a lot of forfeits during basketball tourny. Is COVID the only excuse?

Officially they are not forfeits; they are 'no contest' ...and the other team
advances (like a BYE).

:>---

SALT

Thanks for the distinction, that changes everything.

Games can only be forfeited once they have started.

Just for the record... an official score for a forfeited game is...
Team A : Team B
Team A is winning and team B forfeits (the score is as reflected on the stats).
(I.E. Team A 24 : Team B 6 / recorded score A 24 : B 6)

Team A is winning and forfeits... ( the score is 1-0 )
(I.E. Team A 24 : Team B 6 / recorded score A 0 : B 1)

see page 165...

I always found Section 9 Unfair Acts interesting.

:>---

SALT

Are there any teams that have opted out of the playoffs?
There was a list posted somewhere. It was mostly smaller schools with poor records. Since then, it appears that some other schools have scheduled regular season games for week 11 either as a contingency for if they don't make the playoffs or because it has become obvious that they will not make the playoffs.

Since OHSAA gets all the playoff money, I’d love to see a bunch of teams refuse to play. I’d also like to see some teams refuse to host home game and other side as well. This would make OHSAA have to pay for a neutral site. This would only work in first two rounds but would really stick it to the money grubbing organization that seems not to be putting kids first.

Since OHSAA gets all the playoff money, I’d love to see a bunch of teams refuse to play. I’d also like to see some teams refuse to host home game and other side as well. This would make OHSAA have to pay for a neutral site. This would only work in first two rounds but would really stick it to the money grubbing organization that seems not to be putting kids first.
They pay the host schools in the first two rounds a flat fee. It’s the same fee they’d pay a neutral site. So that wouldn’t affect their bottom line any.

They pay the host schools in the first two rounds a flat fee. It’s the same fee they’d pay a neutral site. So that wouldn’t affect their bottom line any.
In addition to what hammer89 posted, there is no chance for the school to potentially make money charging for parking, there is no concession stand revenue to benefit whoever is operating it. Also, unless they deem their field unplayable, what school is going to make its players, coaches, band, cheerleaders, and fans travel when they have earned the opportunity to play at home? Is it especially worth ticking off the fans, most of whom are voting on the school district's future levies, just to shake a finger at the OHSAA?

Okay what about the decision by a 14, 15 or 16 seed with a record of 2-8 or worse refusing to play? That no contest would hurt OHSAA. Think about division 1, do you really think 0-10 or 1-9 teams really want to play. Screw OHSAA and say nope we’re out.

In the coaches, I asked their opinion on 16 teams making the playoffs they all said they did not like it. Some said it was a joke and a couple said it was nothing more than the OHSAA making more money.

Yeah, that could happen.

Okay what about the decision by a 14, 15 or 16 seed with a record of 2-8 or worse refusing to play? That no contest would hurt OHSAA. Think about division 1, do you really think 0-10 or 1-9 teams really want to play. Screw OHSAA and say nope we’re out.
Yes, teams could opt out, but there was an opt out deadline. No one has to play if they don’t want to. The no contest wouldn’t hurt the OHSAA. No game, no expenses, no money lost. A game occurring and no one going is the only thing that would hurt them, and that’s what’s more likely to happen by an actual 1 v 16 game happening.

you seem intent on finding a way for the OHSAA to suffer without actually knowing anything about them or the process.

I just pulled up an article with comments from a handful of coaches from one of the more populous counties in the state. The reaction was mixed. 1 coach mentioned by name in the article voted against the OHSFCA's proposal to increase from 8 to 12. Another felt that 16 teams was simply too many, and he admitted that his team is a long way from qualifying for the playoffs. The coaches in favor of increasing to 16 were coaches of inner-city teams. The other coaches not in favor of the move to 16 were primarily against it primarily because it was done without any input from the OHSFCA, of which most coaches are members. For them it might be a simple case of not liking it simply because it wasn't their idea.

In R1, If Lorain beats Shaw and gets in as the No .16, I could see them opting out. Really what's the point. If Medina is No. 1, it's a rematch from last week of a game that was 63-0 at half. Even if Medina falls to the No. 2 see, it means Lorain would instead be playing St. Edward, yay.

If Euclid gets in, which they would even at 0-10 if Lorain loses next week, I would expect them to play. They at least have shown a pulse (averaging about 19 points a game despite playing one of the toughest schedules in the state). Their problem is they have not been able to stop anybody (giving up 44 a game).

It will be an adventure. I think top 7 should get to do a draw on the bottom 8 to pick first round match-ups.

Not sure I did my divisor right but at least one drunken calculation I did showed that if predicted wins happen and if all Wadsworth's previous opponents got covid for week 10 (changing their divisor), they would pass Waite for the 16th place by 0.001. That of course presuming no more of Waite's opponents got covid.

Probably did something wrong in the calculations. OHSAA's had a division typo. Divisor should be the number of games played by opponents actually played (as opposed to scheduled), is that correct?

and you're "screwing" them with no stated goal other than throwing a tantrum? Have an end-game in mind before you poop.

Last edited:
It will be an adventure. I think top 7 should get to do a draw on the bottom 8 to pick first round match-ups.

Not sure I did my divisor right but at least one drunken calculation I did showed that if predicted wins happen and if all Wadsworth's previous opponents got covid for week 10 (changing their divisor), they would pass Waite for the 16th place by 0.001. That of course presuming no more of Waite's opponents got covid.

Probably did something wrong in the calculations. OHSAA's had a divisio should be the number of games played by opponents actually layed (as opposed to scheduled), is that correct?

and you're "screwing" them with no stated goal other than throwing a tantrum? Have an end-game in mind before you poop.

Probably did something wrong in the calculations. OHSAA's had a division typo. Divisor should be the number of games played by opponents actually played (as opposed to scheduled), is that correct?

Yes. If a team plays 10 games and their opponents all play 10 games, then their L2 divisor is 100. It gets reduced by 1 for each game an opponent doesn't play.

Waite 8 game schedule current divisor 79 (two lost to Covid but Howland made one up)
Week nine numbers added to predicted week ten
L1: 16 + 6 (win over Bowsher)
L2: 48 + 5.5

22/8 games + 53.5/7.9 (presuming no more covid)

Wadsworth 10 game schedule current divisor 99

L1: 12.5 + 5.5
L2: 64 + 5.5 (Wooster over Ashland)
IF Stow can beat Hudson + 6

18/10 + 69.5/9.7

If Wadsworth's opponents could have dug up 10 covid games, they would be going to play-offs instead of Waite. If Stow and Wooster win and just two other opponents have a covid game tomorrow, Wadsworth gets into play-offs and instead of Waite traveling 2 hrs to lose badly, Wadsworth would only have to travel about a half hour.

18/10 + 75.5/9.
9.53 :D Wadsworth goes to play-offs

Teams have the Covid contacting excuse anyway to opt out. Teams have been doing this in the regular season. If you notice it is mostly losing teams with the Covid cancelation. Most cases, with a few exceptions

Teams have the Covid contacting excuse anyway to opt out. Teams have been doing this in the regular season. If you notice it is mostly losing teams with the Covid cancelation. Most cases, with a few exceptions
E.g. Middletown vs. Lakota West